Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 04-01-2022, 03:56 AM   #41
sockmonkey72
Human being with feelings

LoL seem to be down FWIW
sockmonkey72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 03:58 AM   #42
tapemelancholy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
v6.53+dev0331 - March 31 2022
  • + Color theme: add theme overlay color, blend mode for muted/unsoloed/inactive or locked media items and tracks
  • + Media explorer: when inserting into sampler and detecting pitch, assign sampler pitch start rather than note start (so the sample can be played at different pitches, correctly tuned)
Yeee, cool! RS5K pitch offset works like a charm.

And finaly we have colored overlays, this is awesome!
It seems that track color based overlays are around the corner.
tapemelancholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 05:17 AM   #43
alphoc

Very good news.

When I enlarge the item label font to see it easily, the name under the automation items does not fit in its own space. It would be very nice if we could make these two settings with two different options.
alphoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 05:53 AM   #44
Shootkin

Default + Color theme: add theme overlay color for muted/unsoloed/..

Overlays for tracks and items should be separated. I would like to remove the mute overlay for the track, but after that I will not be able to work with takes.
Old 04-01-2022, 06:16 AM   #45
Embass

Embass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 06:48 AM   #46
Vagalume

+ Color theme: add theme overlay color, blend mode for muted/unsoloed/inactive or locked media items and tracks

I can't believe my eyes ... ty Devs.

Pd: Was that difficult?
Vagalume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 06:49 AM   #47
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazma View Post

EDIT:
ah sorry, I think I misread your post and thought you were complaining about how non-muted items appear on muted tracks. Actually what you say makes sense. It would be nice if the item overlay could be adjusted separately from the track overlay. But the color of all un-muted itemd should still be affected when the track is muted.
I've since discovered that if you set the overlay colour to the same as the track background only the items are affected. This is however not true if you have a different colour set for selected track background. So it would be good to have a separate setting for "selected track muted" colour.
Or an option not to affect the track background (only items)
Old 04-01-2022, 07:05 AM   #48
Embass

Old 04-01-2022, 08:34 AM   #49
Embass

Old 04-01-2022, 09:24 AM   #50
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triode View Post
I've since discovered that if you set the overlay colour to the same as the track background only the items are affected. This is however not true if you have a different colour set for selected track background. So it would be good to have a separate setting for "selected track muted" colour.
Or an option not to affect the track background (only items)
Yes I discovered the same thing which is why I suggested:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazma View Post
2) Selected tracks get the same overlay as unselected tracks. With a high opacity setting the selected muted track can't be distinguished from the other tracks anymore. If possible, I would suggest adding a separate mute overlay color option for selected tracks.
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 10:11 AM   #51
bFooz

Trying to come up with some combination for muted vs locked items, I find it difficult.

Wouldn't locked items be better overlayed with some graphic, e.g. stripes or something. I see on gifs around stripes are used for lanes now, but something like that for locked items + "item lock full". Not color but a graphical element. They will be "jailed behind bars".
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 10:36 AM   #52
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
Wouldn't locked items be better overlayed with some graphic, e.g. stripes or something.
That's what the padlock (item_lock_*.png) button is, right?
Old 04-01-2022, 10:41 AM   #53
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
That's what the padlock (item_lock_*.png) button is, right?
Yes, that's an icon. These ones I actually have shrinked don't know since when. Compare their size to the volume knob.

I meant a graphical pattern of some kind maybe that would cover the whole locked item.
Old 04-01-2022, 10:53 AM   #54
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

If your goal is to avoid ambiguity of locked status, wouldn't that do it? I understand what you want, but I'm lacking the context of why, which sometimes makes all the difference.
Old 04-01-2022, 10:56 AM   #55
Embass

Old 04-01-2022, 11:14 AM   #56
bFooz

Quote:
If your goal is to avoid ambiguity of locked status, wouldn't that do it? I understand what you want, but I'm lacking the context of why, which sometimes makes all the difference.
Yes, to avoid ambiguity. The icons do it somehow, if they were of a normal size they would do it better.

But still, on a quick glance, I find confusing having just a color overlay over already colored elements to differentiate between several states. We already need to differentiate by color between muted and unmuted elements. Plus add to it locked and locked+muted.

But if you come up with some good scheme for this, than OK. I just wasn't able to. Plus there are themes that have dark arrange and bright arrange (generally) which might need two different general schemes.
Old 04-01-2022, 01:12 PM   #57
Embass

Old 04-01-2022, 01:30 PM   #58
Reflected

What a sweet update thanks devs!
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 02:18 PM   #59
PitchSlap

*EDIT* Frozen items look identical to muted items (at least in some 3rd-party themes) so that seems like something that could be improved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedTheCat View Post
Fantastic! The default setting should probably be tweaked to resemble the old mute overlay though. (It's really bright in the default theme, especially when the track is selected)
+1 for the default setting more closely matching the previous default.
I'm finding muted items a lot more distracting with spectral waveforms as the overly doesn't change the foreground.

The first 2 items are muted, the 3rd is unmuted and selected, and the 4th unmuted (not selected).

It's not so bad zoomed in, but more of an issue when zoomed out and trying to easily recognize a mosaic of muted/unmuted items of different colors.

Last edited by PitchSlap; 04-01-2022 at 08:58 PM.
PitchSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 03:56 PM   #60
Loulou92

Muted items should have a darker shade than unmuted items (darker, or just another tint decided by the user, opacity decided by the user). Muted tracks should darken things even more (or tint even more). That means, items + arrange view backgroud get darker (or tinted) when the track is muted.

Simple ! I don't see cases where something else is required ?

My 0.02 cents.

xxxxxxxx
Loulou92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 04:48 PM   #61
Triode

Some of us don’t want the track background darkened.
Or locked items darkened
Old 04-01-2022, 06:18 PM   #62
pcp

Default ARA feature branch

Thanks for working on improving the ARA side of things. I couldn't find information on what the recent ARA 2.1 changes are intended to change but it unfortunately doesn't solve the Melodyne Razor Edits bug reported here:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....81#post2543481

It would be so great if this ARA development eventually allowed us to freeze Melodyne tracks (this would presumably allow use of scripts like Daniel Lumertz's Track Snapshots, which currently doesn't work with ARA tracks and has a separate related bug report open).
pcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 01:01 AM   #63
Berg

Default RAM increasing over time

The level of memory usage is not normal and Reaper increases it over time...I don't know if the developers are aware of this kind of behavior ? I am running MacBook Pro M1 Max on Monterey.
6.53 dev0330 macOS ARM64 or 6.53 dev0331 macOS ARM64 the same.

Last edited by Berg; 01-18-2023 at 06:00 AM.
Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 01:26 AM   #64
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loulou92 View Post
Muted items should have a darker shade than unmuted items
They can be either darkened or grayed, it depends on the arrange BG. And then also on the user preference.
Old 04-02-2022, 04:29 AM   #65
Loulou92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triode View Post
Some of us don’t want the track background darkened.
Or locked items darkened
yes. That's why the user can choose the opacity of the tint !! You could have it transparent.
Old 04-02-2022, 04:30 AM   #66
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

If a muted track contains a muted item, please explain why you would care. The state of mutedness has no degrees, you can't get any more muted than muted.

We're already trying to do an excessive number of jobs with colour alone, in a context where the user can apply unrestricted custom colours. Muted items also have icons, if you care to enable them. I really want to hear compelling arguments why we would abandon the easy visual simplification win of a single "you can't hear that" state.
Old 04-02-2022, 04:43 AM   #67
Loulou92

Quote:
If a muted track contains a muted item, please explain why you would care. The state of mutedness has no degrees, you can't get any more muted than muted.

We're already trying to do an excessive number of jobs with colour alone, in a context where the user can apply unrestricted custom colours. Muted items also have icons, if you care to enable them. I really want to hear compelling arguments why we would abandon the easy visual simplification win of a single "you can't hear that" state.
Yes that's right. So another solution to me would be to have muted track only affect track arrange view background colour (tint and opacity set by the user) and not the colour of the items the muted track contains. This way the user knows the track is muted, but he also knows what's going on in the track (specifically the items muted state, which is interesting to have a visual feedback about at all time in my opinion).

The other solution is to show all items tinted as if they were muted, and the track backgound tinted also. But then you lose infos about the item states. Which I find a bit of a miss.

My prior solution (two messages ago) was not that good anyway. You don't want to add tint % twice for items colour. Very bad idea indeed.
Old 04-02-2022, 04:51 AM   #68
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
This way the user knows the track is muted, but he also knows what's going on in the track (specifically the items muted state, which is interesting to have a visual feedback about at all time in my opinion).
Within that is my key question : why? Why at all times? I'm not completely discounting reasons like "because I want to / because it would be interesting / why not / make it a preference", but if there is a more critical workflow reason then I definitely want to be sure I've heard it.
Old 04-02-2022, 04:55 AM   #69
Phazma

Quote:

I agree, also see no sense in different “degrees” of muting.

In my opinion it’s best to keep it simple. If the track is muted all items get the mute overlay, if the track is not muted only muted items get the mute overlay.

Personally I’d love to turn off overlay for the track background completely and only have all items on a track look muted when I mute the track (it’s already possible by setting mute overlay = track background color but doesn’t work well if selected tracks have a different color).
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 05:03 AM   #70
Embass

Old 04-02-2022, 05:03 AM   #71
FeedTheCat

I'm also with White Tie on this one,

if you can't hear it, you can't hear it. Different visuals would be more of an incoherence.

The locked item overlay is another story though. It would probably be a good idea to differentiate "You can't move it" from "You can't hear it". I guess that's now also possible if you set the mute overlay to some banana setting.
Old 04-02-2022, 05:38 AM   #72
Embass

Old 04-02-2022, 06:26 AM   #73
bFooz

Quote:
Within that is my key question : why? Why at all times? I'm not completely discounting reasons like "because I want to / because it would be interesting / why not / make it a preference", but if there is a more critical workflow reason then I definitely want to be sure I've heard it.
I've been thinking about this problem as well and I came to a conclusion that it would overcomplicate things. As was mentioned - muted cannot be more muted, plus there are icons. This whole feature is about simplification of shades.

One case that it would make sense though is when a user/designer wants to have individual muted items blend into the arrange bg by choosing the same mute overlay color as the arrange bg has. But at the same time he also wants to have the bg of muted tracks be somehow different from unmuted tracks - darker let's say. But it is a questionable whether this case would be enough to implement separate colours. One can also choose an overlay color that is slightly darker than the arrange bg but close. The individual items would still appear ok blending into the bg and the track bg would be darker.

But with soloing tracks, you actually can have less muted and regularly muted tracks - when using sends. Sends that are not muted and not soloed still play the soloed track sent into them.

Last edited by bFooz; 04-02-2022 at 06:31 AM.
Old 04-02-2022, 08:30 AM   #74
Embass

Old 04-02-2022, 11:17 AM   #75
Loulou92

Quote:
I use custom actions that are canceled if muted items are inadvertently selected prior the action. That's specific to my workflow, but I think it's the reason why I push this idea of seeing item states at all times, even when tracks are muted. I also think that in general it's interesting to know what's happening in the arrange view, even on muted tracks. They might be muted temporarily, for CPU saving reasons for example, but one might want to assess what happens in the muted track, in order to plan subsequent moves faster.

((The way I picture it in my head, it's not ugly looking to have item not tinted, and only the track BG))
Old 04-02-2022, 11:25 AM   #76
sockmonkey72

Quote:
I use custom actions that are canceled if muted items are inadvertently selected prior the action. That's specific to my workflow, but I think it's the reason why I push this idea of seeing item states at all times, even when tracks are muted. I also think that in general it's interesting to know what's happening in the arrange view, even on muted tracks. They might be muted temporarily, for CPU saving reasons for example, but one might want to assess what happens in the muted track, in order to plan subsequent moves faster.

((The way I picture it in my head, it's not ugly looking to have item not tinted, and only the track BG))
The way I picture it in my head, it would be confusing, ugly here or there. Personally, I use the item icon to clarify item mute state, and it's absolutely clear what is muted and how.
Old 04-02-2022, 11:28 AM   #77
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmonkey72 View Post
The way I picture it in my head, it would be confusing, ugly here or there. Personally, I use the item icon to clarify item mute state, and it's absolutely clear what is muted and how.
Unless the icon is shirinked and unreadable for some unknown reason to me and unless you have the tracks minimised so the icons are hidden (this latter is optionable though).
Old 04-02-2022, 11:40 AM   #78
Loulou92

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmonkey72 View Post
Lol my english is funny I know, sorry.

I don't like the item icons. They clutter the arrange view in my experience (I really favor ultra minimalist UI).

This idea is what it is. If everybody thinks it's bad, it's bad.
Old 04-02-2022, 11:43 AM   #79
sockmonkey72

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
Unless the icon is shirinked and unreadable for some unknown reason to me and unless you have the tracks minimised so the icons are hidden (this latter is optionable though).
Sure, if you have REAPER set up so that item icons aren't shown, item icons are not a solution. I will grant that.

I agree with White Tie that color is being asked to do an awful lot here.
Old 04-02-2022, 11:49 AM   #80
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berg View Post
The level of memory usage is not normal and Reaper increases it over time...I don't know if the developers are aware of this kind of behavior ? I am running MacBook Pro M1 Max on Monterey.
6.53 dev0330 macOS ARM64 or 6.53 dev0331 macOS ARM64 the same.
If this is a project containing plugins it could also be that it's caused by a plugin (having a memory leak), rather than Reaper.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote