Old 11-20-2017, 05:53 PM   #321
TonE
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
I would like to express, in milliseconds, a delay in the send dialog box.

I know there's been some discussion elsewhere on this. I do a lot of work with combinations of outboard gear, live material, in the box material, Foley, etc. Rather than setting up tracks with ReaDelay (and thus increasing my track count), I would rather just specify a delay in the send itself.
Who cares of the track count? Just make it invisible and forget it.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:08 PM   #322
Archimedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Who cares of the track count? Just make it invisible and forget it.
I care. So, I want a delay in sends.

I'll take an order of fries with that, please.
Archimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:37 PM   #323
Delucci

I dont get why people got so rude in this thread.

If an feature/action already exists, good. Its nice to learn new stuff. In my personal experince, I've searched through the user guide sometimes, its really extensive, I would only look for it when searching for specific things.

And this is an especulation thread, anyways.. take it easy, guys
Delucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:59 PM   #324
_Stevie_

There's surely more but after running Reaper for about 3 weeks, I found the following missing features:

- retrospective record (I actually NEVER record, I always play along with the playback, takes off the stress of a recording situation)

- full MTC/MMC support for syncing a video machine + the possibility to nudge and scrub. At the moment, the TC is only sent on play or record. Major let down.

- visual indication if a plugin's GUI is opened (for example the button turns from blue to green in the mixer of the corresponding plugin)

- native solution for enable/disable track (completely turning off ALL ressources of a track to spare CPU)

more to come...
_Stevie_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:46 AM   #325
ivansc

Quote:
How about a solution to players who can't play to a click?
From what I recall, if you really want to go to that much effort, it IS possible to do a tempo map following what the player put down.
And then I suppose you could quantise the tempo-mapped project....

My brane herts. But I do take your point. So many people these days play on their own at home or in their little home studio that they dont get the early training that comes from playing ensemble, which in turn leads to crap timing. Shame, but I dont really see how you can force people into ensemble situations, just so they can get good at playing along with others, which is after all the real purpose of playing to click.
What I have done with some of the really challenged players is give them a basic drum "boom tish" to play along to. Often helps and isnt really that much extra work compared to all the cut n paste of fixing it after the fact.
Memories of all those singer songwriter sessions I took part in when I lived in Nashville. Aargh
Old 11-21-2017, 04:59 AM   #326
Archimedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
From what I recall, if you really want to go to that much effort, it IS possible to do a tempo map following what the player put down.
And then I suppose you could quantise the tempo-mapped project....

My brane herts. But I do take your point. So many people these days play on their own at home or in their little home studio that they dont get the early training that comes from playing ensemble, which in turn leads to crap timing. Shame, but I dont really see how you can force people into ensemble situations, just so they can get good at playing along with others, which is after all the real purpose of playing to click.
What I have done with some of the really challenged players is give them a basic drum "boom tish" to play along to. Often helps and isnt really that much extra work compared to all the cut n paste of fixing it after the fact.
Memories of all those singer songwriter sessions I took part in when I lived in Nashville. Aargh
To be fair, my Zappa-esque obsession with timing, which only emerges when I have to add synths or time-based sampling to otherwise live takes, makes it harder on everyone. My own compositions are all in the box, hence no need to fix recorded material, or suspend snap. My current project though involves tons of live takes and I'm picking and choosing phrases. Oh well. At least I know how to suspend snap now.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:16 AM   #327
ivansc

Hah! Lightweight.
I am known and often disliked locally for being a total tempo nazi. I will happily stop a tune in a jam if the rest of the band starts wrong after I count them in.

Most of my own stuff also has a rather loose feel, but I still expect it to be on the button.

No pleasing some people, is there? I expect I will sack myself if my playing gets any sloppier as I approach senility...
Old 11-21-2017, 06:46 AM   #328
TonE

svg support so any screen could use any theme.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:01 AM   #329
Sumalc

Direct Monitoring
Sumalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:45 AM   #330
tgraph

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Shame, but I dont really see how you can force people into ensemble situations, just so they can get good at playing along with others
Not only is that (ensemble) a great way to play and learn to play, it's also the most fun you can have without getting arrested.
tgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:31 AM   #331
_Stevie_

- better responsiveness in the arrangement / mixer area for projects with 1000+ tracks
Old 11-22-2017, 08:29 AM   #332
Blankfiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno.thestraws View Post
As I said earlier, a mulitlayer toolbar would be perfect

But we can go one step further with "folder action"

What we need

16 brand new actions :

-Trigger action 1 last triggered folder action
-Trigger action 2 last triggered folder action
-Trigger action 3 last triggered folder action

We can assign any keyboard, midi or osc to these actions (you'll understand)

We need a little checkbox in the custom action builder

here's a mock up

WHen a custom action is set as folder, you don't launch all actions it contains (like custom)

instead, Reaper wait for one of the 16 actions above

Exemple of 2 folder actions

Let's say I assigned my key shortcuts like this

-Trigger action 1 last triggered folder action -> F1
-Trigger action 2 last triggered folder action -> F2
-Trigger action 3 last triggered folder action -> F3
- and so on
- Folder action : split -> S
- Folder action : Warp -> W

When I press "S", Reaper Does nothing... exept that now I can use F1 to F12 to trigger the actions that are in the "split" folder action

S + F1 = Split item under mouse cursor
S + F9 = Dynamic Split

If I now press W, F1 to F12 key now trigger the action that are in the "Warp folder Action'

W+ F1 = add stretch marker at mouse

As long as I don't trigger any other folder action F1 to F12 key remained focus on the last launched folder action ("Warp" here in exemple)

So F3 will add stretch marker at time selection

F9 will snap stretch marker to grid

WHen I press "S", now the last triggered folder action is "split" and so, my F1->F12 key obey to this folder... until I launch another

WOuld be handy and very "REAPER"

Now... the cherry on the cake!

What happened if we load a folder action in a toolbar?

The folder action automaticaly disable SMART BUTTON

Instead, a right click open a submenu with the list of actions contained in the action folder (like some main toolbars default)

From this submenu, we can select what icon (as so what action) will be display in the toolbar)

If an action contained in a folder action is triggered via one of the brand new action "-Trigger action 1 last triggered folder action" the folder toolbar button update automaticaly (very useful with on/off state)

Any opinion on this?

Justin?
+1 !! Very Pratical
Old 11-22-2017, 10:01 AM   #333
TonE

vimper?
https://github.com/ggVGc/vimper
Old 11-24-2017, 10:16 AM   #334
Sound asleep

Track controls on every plugin window, and these control the track on which the plugin sits, or if it's an fx on an item, then it controls the track where the item is.

This lets you easily mute, or solo, or record arm, raise/lower volume/pan whatever track you are currently working on. For me, the solo and record arm would be the best. Also have these work with modifiers same as if they were on the track itself. So, I could alt+click rec arm, and that would unarm everything except for this track. This would be particularly useful if you open a synth or something to edit it, and you find you forgot to arm the track and have something else rec armed, then you can easily fix that without doing any track hunting.

Same thing if I'm EQing or multiband compressing or something, and I want to quickly solo what I'm working on for a second to be able to find the specific thing I want to find more easily. Sometimes you can lose track of where the track you're working on is, and closing the plugin, then finding it then opening the plugin is not quite as easy and efficient as just pressing the solo button right there for a second, making your adjustment, and then putting it back without ever closing your plugin you are using, or even moving it.

Last edited by Sound asleep; 11-24-2017 at 12:15 PM.
Sound asleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 11:53 AM   #335
TonE

beside .svg support, zoomable interface, zoom in or out as much as you want, might be handy for touch/pen displays. No matter how small the buttons are you could always do some pre/post zooming after each action.
But ok, there is ZoomIt, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sys...wnloads/zoomit
Old 11-24-2017, 05:05 PM   #336
Archimedes

Default Export FX Browser Lists

Okay - I can't find where to do this, so it may not exist.

I would like to export a list of all the FX that show up in the FX Browser.

Simply exporting everythingi in the right pane would be a good start.

Exporting a complete hierarchy of FX with their file paths would be shpantabulous.

Putting on my helmut and flak jacket just in case I've missed yet another simple method for doing this and someone out there is locking and loading.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:06 AM   #337
ivansc

Quote:
Putting on my helmut and flak jacket just in case I've missed yet another simple method for doing this and someone out there is locking and loading.
(grin) Welcome to the club!
The biggest problem I have nowadays is when I genuinely try and write a post or a response in a way that wont offend anyone or draw down the wrath of the TAME (teenage angry mutant experts) I get accused of being snide and patronising....
Old 11-25-2017, 12:05 PM   #338
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
- retrospective record (I actually NEVER record, I always play along with the playback, takes off the stress of a recording situation)
REAPER is ALWAYS in what PT called retrospective record, the difference being you just have to hit record. "retrospective record's" big feature back in the early 2000's was that it allowed PT users to join the last decade of DAW's who had always allowed you to not worry about exactly where your punch points were, as you could drag the start and end times of an item * after * the recording.
pipelineaudio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 03:25 PM   #339
_Stevie_

Wait, you mean Reaper is always recording? I wish that was documented somewhere. I only found that retrospective record script here in the forums and thought, that Reaper can't do it!

EDIT: btw, I was talking about MIDI

Last edited by _Stevie_; 11-25-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:07 AM   #340
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
"Live" (not pre-rendered) subprojects.

"Remote" (Live via LAN) subprojects and/or Rewire via LAN.
-Michael
New additional arguments for "live" (and "remote") subprojects see ->https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=170851&page=3

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:09 PM   #341
RlaRed

ARA Support. That's pretty much it.
RlaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:38 PM   #342
Sound asleep

One thing I find a bit difficult about reaper is going in and out of whether midi items have their contents adjust with the tempo of the song or not.

I wish I could just have one button on my midi item, and I could click it, and that would either keep everything the way it is no matter what you do to the tempo, or adjust with tempo.
Old 11-30-2017, 03:17 PM   #343
Kenny Gioia

OK. Here is my wish list. In no particular order.

A new REAPER theme. We could call it REAPER 6 theme.

New REAPER videos. Especially a REAPER 6 Explained series.

Redesigned Menus. Nothing drastic but just a bit more simplified and organized with things that are easier to find.

Probably won't happen but I'd like to see "some" included sounds. Enough to get a beginner going but nothing as huge as Logic Pro X. And it could be an optional download for people who don't need it.

I'd like to see Presets on many of the plugins. Just a few for ReaEQ and ReaComp but a good amount for things like FX chains. Giving the newer user some great ideas. Many people have little to no idea how powerful the native plugins are.

Same as above for Track and Project Templates. Get people started with some basic things instead of starting from scratch.

A few more "fun" virtual instruments would be nice. Toys that allow you to create easier. Especially if you're just messing around.

An option for a customized channelstrip using any plugin you want. So you can have multiple plugins open in one window.

Track Height Locking

Split Screen for Track Height.

Playlists.

Pooling Playlists.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of stuff.

Last edited by Kenny Gioia; 12-06-2017 at 07:11 PM.
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 03:33 PM   #344
strachupl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post

Redesigned Menus. Nothing drastic but just a bit more simplified and organized with things that are easier to find.

Probably won't happen but I'd like to see "some" included sounds. Enough to get a beginner going but nothing as huge as Logic Pro X. And it could be an optional download for people who don't need it.

I'd like to see Presets on many of the plugins. Just a few for ReaEQ and ReaComp but a good amount for things like FX chains. Giving the newer user some great ideas. Many people have little to no idea how powerful the native plugins are.

Same as above for Track and Project Templates. Get people started with some basic things instead of starting from scratch.

A few more "fun" virtual instruments would be nice. Toys that allow you to create easier. Especially if you're just messing around.

An option for a customized channelstrip using any plugin you want. So you can have multiple plugins open in one window.

Track Height Locking

New usable synth would be good step. I would like to have some native synth to synthesize kick, snare, hat or even lead, pad etc.
I think you touched very important topic. New users wants to start with something, every DAW have a decent synth, even 3xosc in FL studio is great. Reasynth is a garbage, useless waste of space, same as Reasynthdrums or whatever name is. If reaper is so about saving space as installer is so small they should remove those two vst, I even think it is shame to keep them with such a good DAW as Reaper is.
strachupl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 03:38 PM   #345
_Stevie_

I don't want to sound like a party pooper, but I'd prefer if the devs would stick to the core of Reaper. There are still so many things that should be improved (especially in the MIDI area) and I don't feel it would do any good to Reaper, if they started to concentrate on synths, drum machines, etc... Afterall, the devs consist of a team of 2 guys.

just my 2 cents...
Old 11-30-2017, 03:56 PM   #346
Archimedes

Quote:

Track Height Locking

Maybe Justin or Schwa could buy the IP for Z3TA+ and Dimension Pro.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:12 PM   #347
Eddy

I would not like the Devs to spend any time on making instruments. There are more than enough free ones. Similarly for additional fx - the current ones are sufficient.. Core functionality is the go for sure, as mentioned by Stevie and probably others.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 04:54 PM   #348
Archimedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I would not like the Devs to spend any time on making instruments. There are more than enough free ones. Similarly for additional fx - the current ones are sufficient.. Core functionality is the go for sure, as mentioned by Stevie and probably others.
I agree with that. But the user base seems to be growing, and with that growth there will inevitably be requests for stuff of little interest to others (such is the case with me and spectral editing- useless). So if there's a quick way to ship a couple VSTs, and Cockos buys or licenses them, then what greater harm or disadvantage exists over that caused by time spent on spectral edits (I use Adobe Audition), notation (I use Sibelius), etc.?

Last edited by Archimedes; 11-30-2017 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:00 PM   #349
divedive

Here's a simple one that perhaps is worthy of a whole number version (6!) and perhaps in accordance with the values of this community:

Pure Data integration
divedive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:16 PM   #350
Eddy

Quote:
I agree with that. But the user base seems to be growing, and with that growth there will inevitably be requests for stuff of little interest to others (such is the case with me and spectral editing- useless). So if there's a quick way to ship a couple VSTs, and Cockos buys or licenses them, then what greater harm or disadvantage exists over that caused by time spent on spectral edits (I use Adobe Audition), notation (I use Sibelius), etc.?
Sure - my point was time making instruments. I think there are a number of ways to includeinstruments without actually making them. However if they buy in some then they will have to maintain them whereas if they link to some free ones or bundle some opensource/free ones in an optional installer then they do not have to.
I think that is how it would work.

re spectral editing and notation - it is not a matter of whether I do or do not use some function of other but more a case of what are the overheads both for the user and the developer in providing the functionality. I am not seeing much of an overhead for users in having to install a free instrument or free effect - particularly if that was flagged at initial install. Having to subscribe to Audition or buy Sibelius presents a definite overhead.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:48 PM   #351
Sound asleep

I think it might be cool to have an A/B test feature linked to the routing volume on master channel.

Have it linked to the master FX bypass. Maybe alt+click fx bypass toggle also does volume A/B. You can set your own volume A and B, in routing window and toggle between them.

This would allow you to easily A/B whatever you have done to the Master FX, with a perfectly dry master.

I know it's bad practice, but I also tend to go in and out of "master mode", which usually requires me to bypass FX on master, and then readjust volume.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:08 PM   #352
mschnell

Quote:
Any decent spec ? I vote for "unintrusive" White on White
-Michael
Old 12-01-2017, 02:49 AM   #353
multibody

- item legends (peaks -> dB, spectral view -> frequency)

- option for automatic loudness normalisation (to allow judgement of each effects impact without loudness bias):
--- scaling either to input loudness or a pre-defined loudness-value
--- button for single effect on top of effect window, similar to mix-knob
--- button for full effect chain in fx-chain-window (to consider volume interaction within effects chain)

- ARA Support

Last edited by multibody; 12-01-2017 at 04:52 AM.
multibody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:31 AM   #354
Archimedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Sure - my point was time making instruments. I think there are a number of ways to includeinstruments without actually making them. However if they buy in some then they will have to maintain them whereas if they link to some free ones or bundle some opensource/free ones in an optional installer then they do not have to.
I think that is how it would work.

re spectral editing and notation - it is not a matter of whether I do or do not use some function of other but more a case of what are the overheads both for the user and the developer in providing the functionality. I am not seeing much of an overhead for users in having to install a free instrument or free effect - particularly if that was flagged at initial install. Having to subscribe to Audition or buy Sibelius presents a definite overhead.
Yep, all fair points.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:40 AM   #355
ajaym

I just want two things for v6

1. An intuitive way of warping the tempo grid to fit playing that is not to a click. I know it's doable now, it's just awkward. I just want to record something and then just like tempo tapping, I want to go back and 'conduct' the performance, showing Reaper where the bar lines are. Without faffing around setting markers and stuff, 'mkay?.

Clicks are an awful thing. Classical music isn't played to a click and neither is jazz and free-form improvisation and neither were most of the classic rock performances - so being able to handle this easily would be absolutely my #1 wish. There is a world outside EDM, Reaper devs.... that's why you added proper notation. This is the next most important feature.

2. Being able to save the MIDI merge default for plugins (that you have to tediously right click on the button on the plugin and change each time from 'midi replaces' to 'midi merge' because 99% of the time that's what I want to happen. But AFAIK this isn't a configurable default.
ajaym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:07 AM   #356
Archimedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaym View Post
I just want two things for v6

1. An intuitive way of warping the tempo grid to fit playing that is not to a click. I know it's doable now, it's just awkward. I just want to record something and then just like tempo tapping, I want to go back and 'conduct' the performance, showing Reaper where the bar lines are. Without faffing around setting markers and stuff, 'mkay?.

Clicks are an awful thing. Classical music isn't played to a click and neither is jazz and free-form improvisation and neither were most of the classic rock performances - so being able to handle this easily would be absolutely my #1 wish. There is a world outside EDM, Reaper devs.... that's why you added proper notation. This is the next most important feature.

2. Being able to save the MIDI merge default for plugins (that you have to tediously right click on the button on the plugin and change each time from 'midi replaces' to 'midi merge' because 99% of the time that's what I want to happen. But AFAIK this isn't a configurable default.
The Warner Brothers Orchestra plays to a click
Old 12-01-2017, 01:55 PM   #357
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaym View Post
1. An intuitive way of warping the tempo grid to fit playing that is not to a click.
At best a workflow like "define a time region, select a kick drum track, estimate a bpm, press go -> tempo map ís in place".

-Michael
Old 12-01-2017, 01:57 PM   #358
mschnell

Quote:
The Warner Brothers Orchestra plays to a click
They get payed. We play mostly for fun , nonetheless thriving for results worth listening to.

-Michael
Old 12-01-2017, 02:53 PM   #359
Eddy

click tracks in music represent the dehumanisation of rhythm as part of the industrialisation process. Working to a click is absurd in many traditions eg Flamenco Working to a rhythm track makes more sense musically in most cases.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:27 PM   #360
mikeroephonics

- Toolbar buttons of any length (current max is 2)

- Color Sends and Receives in I/O Window like their respective Tracks

- Visual indicator for whether TCP or Arrange Area has focus

- dB scale for Media Items

- Envelopes in MIDI Editor CC Lanes OR vector shaping tools like Cubase (sine, square, triangle parabola)

- MIDI Editor Ruler graphics exactly match Arrange Ruler

- MIDI Editor Piano Roll resize (to show longer MIDI Note Name Maps)