Old 08-05-2010, 11:37 AM   #1
Webb
Human being with feelings

Default Playback issue after Win7 upgrade

I just updated to a new Windows 7 Intel quad-core computer from my old XP Athlon dual core. Got my interface (Mackie Onyx 400f) setup properly (I think), but now I'm having playback issues. I'm still a Reaper noob so it could be complete user-error, but I'm baffled.

Here's the issue - I just tried to record a test track direct from my Axe Fx...armed record, monitor input, selected input that the Axe Fx was connected to... Everything was fine while recording. I got levels, could hear the guitar as I played, etc.

However, upon playback I wasn't getting any sound output (even though I could see the wave file on the track and the master and track levels bouncing. I had to click the i/o button and then the drop down to "add new hardware output" and select Onyx 5/6 in order to hear anything. I recorded a couple more tracks and had to do the same thing for each before I got any sound from those tracks.

I double-checked the audio device under "Preferences" and everything is configured as it was on my old computer. Onyx is selected...first audio input to the last input. Same with outputs.

Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?
Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:47 AM   #2
Diogenes

How is your ASIO driver setup? For instance, for my EMU1820M, I only have one pair of outputs setup called ASIO31/32. Thus in Reaper, I have as starting "range" ASIO31/32 and ending range ASIO31/32. That defaults the master stereo output to ASIO31/32. I seldom need or want more than one pair of stereo outs. IF I did, I would have to create another ASIO pair in the driver application. I'd call them, for example, ASIO29/30. For Reaper to "see" them I'd have to include ASIO29/30 as the starting range. Now ASIO 29/30 AND ASIO 31/32 would be available as hardware outputs. Make sense? Your Mackie driver may not offer you that kind of control. It may simply say "Hey Reaper... I have outputs 5 through 8 available." and you can select the full range in Reaper if you want.

I think your current trouble is your Main output is NOT assigned to Onyx 5/6.

D
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:35 AM   #3
Webb

Thanks for the help. I got it all sorted now.
Webb is offline   Reply With Quote