Old 09-03-2014, 11:07 AM   #1
styzer
Human being with feelings

Default HOW TO SETUP WAVES TO USE IN REAPER 64

(Hi all, I hope it's OK if I share this here, as I found many who struggled with this issue. If not, please indicate where I should post it? Thanks!)

Reaper is not "officially supported" by Waves. But with the help of a few faithful Reapersniks, I was able to make it through the fog and now can use my Waves plugins within Reaper.

Follow these steps to use Waves within Reaper. If you already have Waves installed, skip to step 2 after identifying the default folder Waves installs itself.

HOW TO INSTALL WAVES IN REAPER 64

1- Install Waves using their default path settings. Note the folder it will install the plugins into.

2- Create a VST folder for your 64bit plugins in C:\Program Files.

3- Create a Waves plugin WITHIN that folder.

4- Copy (don't cut) the WaveShell-VST 9.3_x64.dll from the default folder Waves installation placed it in, and paste it into that Waves folder you just created (I named mine Vstplugins64).

5- Start Reaper. Got to Options/Preferences/VST.

6- Check the box "Get VST names/types when scanning" under the "VST plug-ins paths." This will display the names of the plugins within your VST window.

7- Now click ADD, and locate the folder "Vstplugins64" where you just copied the file "WaveShell-VST 9.3_x64.dll." Click OK.

8- Click "Clear cache/re-scan." This will clear your plugins cache, and reload your Waves plugins, as well as the other ones who are in the VST paths you indicated (I copy all my 64bit VSTs and VSTis in the same folder. One path to rule them all!).

9- Now create a new track or using a track that already exists, ADD an affect. A dialog window will appear.

If all you see from Waves is "WaveShell-VST 9.3_x64.dll" it means you haven't checked the box "Get VST names/types when scanning." Go back and do that.

I figure the same method would apply with Reaper32 and Waves, simply make sure the default install folder is properly identified so you can go and get a copy of "WaveShell-VST 9.3.dll" which is the 32bit version.

Enjoy your Waves plugins in Reaper!! I told Waves tech support they SHOULD DEFINITELY include Reaper in their list of programs to support.

Gratitude to Rusty Falcon, Stu and The Buddah Rats!

Regards,

Styzer

Last edited by styzer; 09-03-2014 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Text editing
styzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 03:38 PM   #2
JECracchiolo

THANK YOU SO MUCH! YOU ARE AWESOME! LIKE, SERIOUSLY!
JECracchiolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:54 PM   #3
lanceaustin

Does not work with Waves 4.0 in Reaper 5, here in 2018. In fact, half the instructions no longer apply.
lanceaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:55 PM   #4
lanceaustin

Does not work with Waves 4.0 in Reaper 5, here in 2018. In fact, many of the instructions no longer apply.
lanceaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:25 AM   #5
ivansc

we heard you the first time.

Any particular reason why you are still using waves 4? I am on Waves 9 & the folks who are new to waves or have bought their WUP are of course on Waves 10. Waves 4 must be years old.