Old 08-14-2018, 08:59 PM   #1
babag
Human being with feelings

Default exFAT anyone?

i've been using computers for long enough to be pretty sick of file system incompatibilities when it becomes necessary to work between different platforms. for a long time i used macdrive to be able to read and work seamlessly with mac format drives on windows systems. now it looks more and more like linux is becoming a third option for serious work. i'm wondering if there's a simple, hopefully free, way to move material between all three platforms: mac, windows, and linux. exfat seems like a possibility. does anyone here have experience with it? opinions?

thanks,
BabaG
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 01:37 AM   #2
cyrano

As long as the files are smaller than 2 GB, FAT will work perfectly on any platform.

exFAT works for bigger files too. It might be a problem with very old computers. But I guess nobody is doing audio on machines from DOS times...

There's always stuff like Dropbox too.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:07 AM   #3
X-Raym

I use exfat for my SD cards for transfering files between several systems, only problem I found is that some device like for photo or dvd player with a SD slot dont recognize it but for computers it is good.
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:14 AM   #4
citizenkeith

I use exFAT on my 4TB external hard drive. I switch between Windows 7, MacOS Sierra and MacOS El Capitan. I've experienced no problems whatsoever.
citizenkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:17 AM   #5
babag

thanks for the info folks.

@citizenkeith: yeah, that's similar to how i'd be using it. i get so sick of trying to find drivers for non-native filesystems. it would be great to have a drive that could, at least, be used to courier between systems and be easily read by any platform and, ideally, not just be used as a transfer medium but actually be able to be plugged in directly and used as the working data drive.

thanks again, all,
BabaG
babag is offline   Reply With Quote