Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 12-24-2008, 10:52 AM   #1
DuX
Human being with feelings

Default Windows XP SP3 nLited and Audio Optimised

This has extensively been discussed in this thread: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=15923 so you can all look it up for additional info, solutions etc.

This second Windows XP SP3 AO build is not very different from the first one, but includes some important stuff and updates like:

- wireless network is working
- firewall is working
- all post SP3 fixes, including the december 2008. ones, see the list here: http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/updatepack-sp3.html There are some rather important fixes for multiprocessor PC`s. I`ve been waiting for this, therefore such a delay prior to releasing this build.
- Intel, NVidia and AMD AHCI drivers
- most of the EU keyboards and regional settings, including UK and US.

What it doesn`t include is: general BS, bloat, spam, unnecessary BS, WM Player, Internet Explorer etc. However, this build is much larger than the previous build and weights whooping 300MB, so I had to split the archive into two, because Rapidshare caps the uploads at 200MB. Shame. I`m not sure why it`s so much bigger, but I`m assuming it`s mostly because of the post SP3 fixes. If that`s the case, I don`t regret it being 100MB bigger.

So here it is, Windows XP SP3 Audio Optimised RAR archives, part 1 and part 2, DuXP.
Part1: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...P3AO.part1.rar
Part2: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...P3AO.part2.rar

*When you downloaded both parts, just unrar the first part with 7Zip or WinRAR and you'll get the whole WXPSP3AO.iso file.

This is the nLite INI file you can use to make your own "distro" of XP-AO using the original XP installation CD: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...9/WXPSP3AO.ini

I left the "Out of the box experience" in, so it should be "authoriseable". I`m trying to stay on the legal side of things as much as possible, as I don`t want Cockos to have any troubles regarding this, some would say "crippled" Windows XP.

One warning for the users who are not very proficient with Windows: this Windows installation is mostly intended for experienced or advanced Windows users, not so much because of the way the installation goes - it`s even easier to install it than the default one, but because of the way this Windows look and behave. It looks quite different to your usual default installation and it`s tweaked after my subjective opinions and from my long time experience using Windows for audio and multimedia in general. Most of the tweaking done, you should find on any Windows that a proficient Windows user that is into audio and video is using and inexperienced users could easily have many problems with this OS, as nothing is hidden "under the rug" you can delete important files by accident and stuff like that. In other words - if you don`t know what regedit.exe is, stay away, or be at least very careful with what you`re doing and you`ll be rewarded with a great and fast OS that XP can be when tweaked and cut in the right places.

Last thing...

Happy Christmas, happy holidays, get nicely pissed...

I wish you all good luck, lots of love and patience for your loved ones, some money and excellent health! To your families, and loved ones, too.

Cheers!

16-03-2013 Update: reuploaded to Rapidshare again. I'm still using it, btw. and it works great.
04-02-2014 Update: reuploaded to Dropbox because all others are scum. I don't want to have to upload again every three months.

Last edited by DuX; 02-03-2014 at 04:45 PM.
DuX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 11:11 AM   #2
spoon

Cheers mate!

Happy holidays to you. I shall be getting pissed for the next 4-5 days if all goes well.

This is a nice update.

Kind regards,
David
Old 12-24-2008, 11:29 AM   #3
Bassman1

Thanks for this updated version Dux.

So, we burn this to a disc and then install as per the usual windows install, using my key, yep?

mERRY CHRISTMAS
Old 12-24-2008, 11:36 AM   #4
DuX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman1 View Post
Thanks for this updated version Dux.

So, we burn this to a disc and then install as per the usual windows install, using my key, yep?

mERRY CHRISTMAS
Yep!

You can use any ISO writing software such as Nero or ImgBurn. Extremely important: burn at x4 speed as any audio CD. CD will also last longer.

Cheers!

Last edited by DuX; 12-24-2008 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:38 AM   #5
Bassman1

Thanks for the quick reply. Grabbing it now
Old 12-24-2008, 01:01 PM   #6
Ibdabloke

Default Thank You

Dux,

Thanks for your efforts, I've been lurking, following your progress. I'll be sure to give your latest build a go.

Have a Merry Xmas and may the New Year bring you continued good health.
Ibdabloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 01:23 PM   #7
jzucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuX View Post
This has extensively been discussed in this thread: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=15923 so you can all look it up for additional info, solutions etc.

This second Windows XP SP3 AO build is not very different from the first one, but includes some important stuff and updates like:
How is this different from the commercial SP3 patch? I upgraded to the sp3 patch and had beaucoup problems and ended up going back to sp2.
jzucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 02:58 PM   #8
Fabian

Thanks a heap DuXman.
DLing now. I'll leave my kids with their mother tomorrow, then I'm all DAW for the coming week :-)
Old 12-24-2008, 05:24 PM   #9
Bob Headroom

That's the attitude Fabian, I'm with you there mate.

Cheers DuX. The birth of the saviour and the birth of DuX's almighty DuXP all within 24hrs. Great timing. The 25th shall forever be duXmas in my eyes from here on in.
Bob Headroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 05:35 PM   #10
DuX

Lol Max!

Have a great X-mas and an OS which will last.

sipping the wine... watching stupid US comedy... if I could upgrade their sense of humour somehow that would be wonderful . Now where are those Black Adder DVD`s...

Cheers mates!
Old 12-25-2008, 02:00 PM   #11
Fabian

Default DAWUser-dawuser problem

Merry DuX-mas :-)
I have just installed DuX' new slipstreamed XP (version 2). Installation went ok, no problem, but... when XP starts it asks for an administrator password. I've tried everything but to no avail. From the previous thread (linked by DuX above) I get that it was supposed to be user "DAWUser" and password "dawuser", but this simply does not work.

I've installed and reinstalled three times now, same thing. During installation I only change some regional settings. Especially, I do not touch anything related to the administrator (or any other) account.

Note, the first version of the DuXP I had no problems with. It simply logged on the (single) XP user without asking for any password. Of course, that was more to my liking, but I've seen some people reporting similar problems as the one I now have with DuXPv2. I've seen no real solution, though.

Any ideas, anyone...?
Old 02-03-2009, 09:34 AM   #12
fladd

I am just downloading this one and I am quite excited. I have a lot of troubles with performance, especially with Reaper and Asio. So this installation with all its tweaks might help me a lot.

A few questions though:
- Is it save to deactivate all hardware I do not need, like Network, Wireless, Cardreader and so on?
- Is this working with Sata drives?
- On the first page of this thread you somewhere mentioned that there is still some stuff to do (especially regarding the theming and turining off some services). Is this now also in this version, or do I still have to do this by hand afterwards?
- Do you advise to use this version with SP3 or the old one without it? Is SP3 anything especially in regard to audio performance? (I always have the impression that windows service packs bring more troubles than advantages.)

Regards,
fladd

Last edited by fladd; 02-03-2009 at 09:37 AM.
fladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:54 AM   #13
DuX

It must be something with the drivers...

Dave, did you try doing this... that`s what I always do when I have to install multiple VGA`s:

You never install OS and the drivers with both cards in the PC. First deinstall all the NVidia VGA drivers and shutdown the PC. Pull out the PCI card, and install AGP card to work "normally". You could go to the NVidia control panel and set it up to work with multiple screens before installing the PCI card. Then shutdown Windows, install the PCI card and Windows should use the same drivers for that one. Are they the same btw.? It cannot work if you install drivers for both. The same driver should be able to work with both, so use the driver which works with the older card if they`re different cards.

Cheers!
Old 02-03-2009, 09:57 AM   #14
Bob Headroom

Hi fladd

I'll try answer these as best I can for you:

1. Yes - it is absolutely fine to disable these things if you do not use them. In fact, it is recommended for a DAW and you should have performance boosts by doing so. Remember that some of these things can be disabled in your BIOS.

2. SATA = no problem. DuX's build is meant to be bang up to date and would be a bit too old school if it only worked with IDE drives.

3. I guess it is best for DuX to answer this one. But as I am sure he has mentioned elsewhere, these kinds of things are always growing and can always be improved on. Like most things in the world of computers - don't blink or you'll miss it. That being said, AFAIK this is a good and sturdy build and any future tweaks will be more minor. With regard Services, again - AFAIK - DuX only gets rid of the services which are completely useless - which is a slack handful. The rest he leaves to each individual for their own individual tweaking. The thing with services is that they really are an individual thing and dependent on your PC set up and your wants and needs. There are plenty of guides around that will help you through the services thing. BlackViper springs to mind....if you need to know others then ask and I'll find out. The memory isn't what it used to be!

4. I think you've missed the point here. Did you know that this thread is a spin off directly from the sticky up above? Basically, last year sometime - when SP3 was still well in its BETA stage - Tonehdge started a thread (the one above) discussing the possible merits of SP3 on DAW PCs. As this evolved, DuX kindly roped himself into using nLite to slipstream SP3 into a Windows XP install, whilst at the same time using nLite to strip Windows down and purge it of the tonne or so of unecessary crap. Like a hyper-enema without the rubber gloves (unless you use them to protect delicate components from static, etc.). He then uploaded these stripped down, SP3 slipstreamed installations for folk like us to download and use.

So ALL the available DuXPs (as they are coming to be known) have SP3 slipstreamed. This latest one has the final release (RTM) SP3, whereas the previous ones where still using BETA SP3s.

"Is SP3 anything especially in regard to audio performance?" Well that kind of brings us right back to the start of this whole adventure!

HTHs

Max
Bob Headroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:09 AM   #15
fladd

Thanks a lot for the answer Max! Really appreciated here! I will try to install this thing tonight.

fladd
fladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:10 AM   #16
DuX

Quote:
Originally Posted by fladd View Post
...this installation with all its tweaks might help me a lot.
There aren't so many tweaks... but a few of them are quite important for an audio workstation.

Quote:
A few questions though:
- Is it safe to deactivate all hardware I do not need, like Network, Wireless, Cardreader and so on?
Absolutely. Some of it, that you don`t use at all, you can disable in BIOS, and some of it you can disable in Device Manager, then if you need it, you can enable it without restarting Windows and going into BIOS setup. This is especially important for Wireless, Bluetooth and all other tooth and less... Common LAN Network driver in itself is not soo bad IME [in my experience].

Quote:
- Is this working with Sata drives?
You probably mean with AHCI? Yes, I integrated the AHCI Sata drivers for Intel and AMD chipsets in it. Some NVidia and JMicron, too.

Quote:
- On the first page of this thread you somewhere mentioned that there is still some stuff to do (especially regarding the theming and turining off some services). Is this now also in this version, or do I still have to do this by hand afterwards?
Yep, it`s the same, because you can`t please everybody and every PC setup is different.

Quote:
- Do you advise to use this version with SP3 or the old one without it? Is SP3 anything especially in regard to audio performance? (I always have the impression that windows service packs bring more troubles than advantages.)
In my experience, SP3 is more than worth it - it`s better performing than SP2 in every way. I`ll be also updating the installation with the new MS post-SP3 patches from RyanVM`s site and tweak it a little between the builds in order to provide the stuff some users need and iron out any bad behaviour . Build 3 coming soon .

Edit: Thanks Max, excellent job, mate! Like the hyper-enema thinking... LOL

Cheers!

Last edited by DuX; 02-03-2009 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:36 PM   #17
pixeltarian

Quote:

- wireless network is working
- firewall is working
- all post SP3 fixes, including the december 2008. ones, see the list here: http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/updatepack-sp3.html There are some rather important fixes for multiprocessor PC`s. I`ve been waiting for this, therefore such a delay prior to releasing this build.
- Intel, NVidia and AMD AHCI drivers
- most of the EU keyboards and regional settings, including UK and US.

What it doesn`t include is: general BS, bloat, spam, unnecessary BS, WM Player, Internet Explorer etc. However, this build is much larger than the previous build and weights whooping 300MB, so I had to split the archive into two, because Rapidshare caps the uploads at 200MB. Shame. I`m not sure why it`s so much bigger, but I`m assuming it`s mostly because of the post SP3 fixes. If that`s the case, I don`t regret it being 100MB bigger.

So here it is, the first part of the self extracting RAR archive: http://rapidshare.com/files/17643328...p3ao.part1.exe

and here is the second part: http://rapidshare.com/files/17644049...p3ao.part2.rar

Here`s nLite settings INI file for those who want to tweak the XP installation by themselves: http://rapidshare.com/files/177012614/wxpsp3ao2.ini

I left the "Out of the box experience" in, so it should be "authorisable". I`m trying to stay on the legal side of things as much as possible, as I don`t want Cockos to have any troubles regarding this, some would say "crippled" Windows XP.

One warning for the users who are not very proficient with Windows: this Windows installation is mostly intended for experienced or advanced Windows users, not so much because of the way the installation goes - it`s even easier to install it than the default one, but because of the way this Windows look and behave. It looks quite different to your usual default installation and it`s tweaked after my subjective opinions and from my long time experience using Windows for audio and multimedia in general. Most of the tweaking done, you should find on any Windows that a proficient Windows user that is into audio and video is using and inexperienced users could easily have many problems with this OS, as nothing is hidden "under the rug" you can delete important files by accident and stuff like that. In other words - if you don`t know what regedit.exe is, stay away, or be at least very careful with what you`re doing and you`ll be rewarded with a great and fast OS that XP can be when tweaked and cut in the right places.

Last thing...

Happy Christmas, happy holidays, get nicely pissed...

I wish you all good luck, lots of love and patience for your loved ones, some money and excellent health! To your families, and loved ones, too.

Cheers!

will I have to load an SATA driver? if so, including the driver (as I think most SATAS will work with some generic SATA driver) might be a good idea...
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:31 PM   #18
DuX

"This second Windows XP SP3 AO build is not very different from the first one, but includes some important stuff and updates like:

- Intel, NVidia and AMD AHCI drivers" [SATA AHCI drivers if you like ]

So yes, it includes SATA AHCI drivers. For "normal" [ATA compatible actually] SATA they are not required.

Cheers!
Old 06-25-2009, 01:02 AM   #19
Coerce

I hate rapidshare and I think a lot of other people get frustrated with the waiting to download.

I've uploaded Dux' files to my FTP so you guys can download from there.

I'm pming dux to see if he want's to put the iso up as 1 file instead of having it split in to 2.

I'll be trying this out this weekend (I normally use my own nlited xp), keep meaning to but never got round to it before.

Right now the links are here :

http://FallofArcadia.com/Reaper/wxpsp3ao.part1.exe

http://FallofArcadia.com/Reaper/wxpsp3ao.part2.rar

Dux nlite file : (right click, save as)

http://FallofArcadia.com/Reaper/wxpsp3ao2.ini

Last edited by Coerce; 06-25-2009 at 01:05 AM.
Coerce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:13 AM   #20
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coerce View Post
I hate rapidshare and I think a lot of other people get frustrated with the waiting to download.

I've uploaded Dux' files to my FTP so you guys can download from there.
Great initiative. Thanks!

I had to DL Dux' XP from rapidshare on three comps at the same time :-)
Old 06-25-2009, 11:17 AM   #21
DuX

Thanks big time Coerce!

This is great news for all. Yeah, who doesn't hate RapidShare. It would be cool if you'd unpack those two files and just put a straight ISO up, because some people have troubles extracting it.

Thanks again!

Cheers!
Old 06-25-2009, 12:19 PM   #22
Coerce

Yeah I should have that done by Monday, Probably a straight ISO and one inside a .rar along with the .ini for a bit of compression and faster download.
Coerce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:37 PM   #23
Smurf

I look forward to this, every time except once when I downloaded this it was corrupted.

Thanks Again!
Old 08-05-2009, 11:50 AM   #24
ziflingus

Default No multiprocessor support

Hi,
I don't know if that toic should be raised in here.
I installed the nlited XP version, but as a "standard pc" instead of ACPI PC.
Now windows identifies only one of my 2 cores (i have a core 2 duo processor).
ACPI causes my hardware many dropouts, so i don't want to use it.
Anyone knows what is the best way to fix this?

thanks
ziflingus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:23 PM   #25
reapercurious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziflingus View Post
Hi,
I don't know if that toic should be raised in here.
I installed the nlited XP version, but as a "standard pc" instead of ACPI PC.
Now windows identifies only one of my 2 cores (i have a core 2 duo processor).
ACPI causes my hardware many dropouts, so i don't want to use it.
Anyone knows what is the best way to fix this?

thanks
yes.

System Properties > Device Manager > Batteries > Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery > Disable

also, disable your wifi card for added measure.

i posted this solution elsewhere in the forum a bunch of times i think, and it should be a sticky.

Last edited by reapercurious; 08-05-2009 at 02:37 PM.
reapercurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:39 PM   #26
ziflingus

Quote:
Originally Posted by reapercurious View Post
yes.

go into your laptop's system devices and near the top there will be battery method. disable that and you will suffer no more from the dropout that happens every 10 or 20 seconds.

also, disable your wifi card for added measure.

i posted this solution elsewhere in the forum a bunch of times i think, and it should be a sticky.
Have already tried that.
Only thing that did help (not perfectly though), was to install "process explorer" (downloadable from the microsoft site), and suspend the acpi thread on under the system process.
Since I do not want to do that each time i restart my computer, I wanted to disable acpi completely.

I have managed to do so, by performing driver update for the computer driver (under device manager) and selecting the "MPS Multiprocessor PC" instead of "ACPI Multiprocessor PC".

As for the results, we'll see about that soon...

Thanks,
ziflingus
ziflingus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:52 PM   #27
reapercurious

i think the work involved doesnt pay for the advantages gained by using this version of xp. all the effort spent could be put into a 10 dollar an hour job and buy a better cpu.

seriously, aside from the acpi and wireless, there are not any processes running that will cause you any trouble.

at least no processes that cannot be disabled with services.msc or a "optimize my xp" reg file that you find on the net.

diminishing returns, thats what you are looking at, imo.
reapercurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:41 AM   #28
DuX

Quote:
Originally Posted by reapercurious View Post
i think the work involved doesnt pay for the advantages gained by using this version of xp. all the effort spent could be put into a 10 dollar an hour job and buy a better cpu.

seriously, aside from the acpi and wireless, there are not any processes running that will cause you any trouble.

at least no processes that cannot be disabled with services.msc or a "optimize my xp" reg file that you find on the net.

diminishing returns, thats what you are looking at, imo.
Funny you say that, because I created this not so much to optimise the official WindowsXP installation, but to speed it up quite a bit . On newer computers I can install XP in 10-15 minutes now. Even installing it in a virtual machine on an older computer takes ~20mins!

Plus, you don't have to bother with any settings afterwards... just install the software. There aren't many optimisations in it, but in my experience I always use up at least an additional half to one hour on the adjustment of these settings with the official installation, not to mention that it takes a lot longer to install it and it's 2x bigger.

So yeah, I definitely agree there's not much to optimise in the standard WindowsXP installation, but if your schedule is tight this kind of installation comes really handy . And some tweaks which are included in my installation are really essential. Just a few, but essential and you just don't have to worry about them.

Cheers!

Last edited by DuX; 08-06-2009 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:03 AM   #29
nofish

Default revert to SP2 ?

I have installed this DuX XP version on my Laptop and have found that it's not working properly with my USB audio device (Maya 44 USB). I get dropouts and freezes.
So for a test, I'd like to revert to SP2.
Is this possible without installing Windows gain ?

Last edited by nofish; 09-23-2009 at 07:07 AM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:19 AM   #30
JHughes
Banned

No, sorry.
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:28 PM   #31
ratherbefishing33

Default my serial wont work for this version of xp

I tried installing this version of audio optimised xp.. My serial code won't work for this version it says that it is invalid. Does anyone have a serial that will work for this version?
ratherbefishing33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:39 PM   #32
ratherbefishing33

Default my version is OEM as well

Has there been any fixes to make it work on OEM yet?
ratherbefishing33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:12 AM   #33
matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherbefishing33 View Post
Has there been any fixes to make it work on OEM yet?
I don't believe so. It would be awesome though
matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:38 PM   #34
jayendra

just wondering if you can create an admin account with this install? I have a school computer I'm installing it on.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:46 PM   #35
unsound

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherbefishing33 View Post
I tried installing this version of audio optimised xp.. My serial code won't work for this version it says that it is invalid. Does anyone have a serial that will work for this version?
Can we say GOOGLE?....................not sure if I'm supposed to say that or not considering the question.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:58 AM   #36
jayendra

Just a reminder to anyone who installs.

On first run its 'DAWUser' as the username and nothing else!!!! no password
Old 04-05-2010, 03:50 PM   #37
qbury

Quote:
This is the ISO Image file you need http://FallofArcadia.com/Reaper/WXPSP3AO.iso burn it with Nero, ImgBurn or whatever you use, just don't do it at grater than 4x speed, because there's a possibility that such CDs won't boot normally.
Hi Dux, I'm attempting to install this version of XP. However it won't accept my product key. Is there something I'm doing wrong? It's authentic. I can install from my copy of XP and it works and gets validated from Microsoft.
Thanks
qbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:57 AM   #38
NoiseMan

qbury: You need a Volume License Key. The key of your regular Windows XP (OEM or bought in shop) won't work here.
NoiseMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:20 AM   #39
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoiseMan View Post
qbury: You need a Volume License Key. The key of your regular Windows XP (OEM or bought in shop) won't work here.
but you can use dux's config for nlite and make your own. i think i remember dux mentioning that nlite could possibly not implement all the details in the config (the only downside i see). fwiw, i used the config to make my own and it's been the best xp install ever. i fooled around with nlite quite a bit in the past, but dux's setup is better than anything i came up with.
brainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:26 AM   #40
qbury

Ok. I thought of that after I posted. I'll check the config and see if I can make my own as you suggest.
qbury is offline   Reply With Quote