Old 12-26-2007, 09:23 PM   #1
Alex Stone
Human being with feelings

Default a truly worthy macro challenge

In the process of 'quick drafting' a piece, i find it easy to render as i go.

Here's the challenge that's got me stumped so far:

I'm using an external soundfont synth (qsynth) to plonk in stuff quickly. I hit record, and play the midi line in from a midi input track 1 routed through midi hardware out. The audio comes back in to a track i designate through record active.

What i'm trying to do is use the same track for midi and audio, so when i play in (in record mode), i can record both the midi and audio at the same time, on the same track, as two takes. I've had several goes at this, but so far no luck.

Can any of you routing/macro masters suggest a possible solution?
To add further to this, once the midi and audio are recorded, i want the recorded midi item to be muted, so it doesn't play again, on top of the audio, doubling the input.

I'm trying to do this so all my midi doesn't end up on one track at the top, but sits with recorded audio in the same track, so i can, at a quick glance, see everything happening at once, with the midi and corresponding audio in the same view.

Further to this, but for a different purpose, i'm also trying to build 'automated render' so when recording midi in stops, the item automatically renders to audio. Any clues on this one would be helpful too. I realise i may well some sort of ahk macro to instigate a 'pause' until the render can start, but i'm not sure ahk will work in Wine.

The intent or purpose behind these, is to remove as many of the stops and starts from the creative flow as possible, and get through to the end of a work quickly. Even if recorded lines are inadequate or rough, (they can be worked on once the draft is finished) the speed of flow can remain.

Alex.

Last edited by Alex Stone; 12-26-2007 at 09:33 PM.
Alex Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 12:50 AM   #2
Bevosss

I have this one Alex, that records a midi item and a wav item simultaneously, and puts them as takes onto the same track. It assumes you have a track selected, armed and set to record MIDI all input. You need to set the default track in prefs to record ReaRoute Stereo Input 1 and 2.

So briefly, select the track to record on and place the cursor, hit Shift-* to record your performance, space and enter to save the recording, and Alt-* to place them on the same track as takes.

It should be easy to script the last bit to suit you even on Wine, I'd just compile it as a stand-alone exe file.

Give it a whirl and see if it works for your routing and workflow! I'm a bit hazy exactly how you do this, so that's my first guess anyway...cheers and merry xmas mate!

Bevosss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 12:55 AM   #3
Alex Stone

B, thanks for the heads up on this. I've written it all down, but unfortunately, at the moment, Rearoute doesn't work in Wine.

I'll see what i can do to work around this.

Thanks!

Alex.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:05 AM   #4
Bevosss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Stone View Post
unfortunately, at the moment, Rearoute doesn't work in Wine.
Ahh you changed your paradigm I see! I used ReaRoute because that's how I remembered your last routing style.

No worries, just substitute whatever audio recording input you use for the ReaRoute inputs in the default track, shouldn't be a problem.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:21 AM   #5
Bevosss

Alex, if you want to mute the midi item, then use this instead for the implode part:

That will have the audio part selected as the take to play, not the audio part...cheers.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:53 AM   #6
Bevosss

Aha, I found a great way to do this with a simple VSTi track, such as EZ Drummer. Have the VSTi track set to record: output(stereo), with midi all ch in. Set the track default to record input and midi Ch ALL. Record the wav to the VSTi track, and the midi to the disposable track, using the Shift-* macro...hit space, enter to stop recording, and hit Alt-* to consolidate the tracks as takes (Wav defaults to active take).

Last edited by Bevosss; 12-27-2007 at 05:10 AM.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:38 AM   #7
Alex Stone

Default 1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+..............

Bevoss, thanks mate. I face another problem with this, in the fact that i now have 34 audio channels in from a standalone sampler(and now 34 individually assignable audio in ports in wineasio, woohoo), so i can't set the default to input 1+2 for any more than the first channel/track.

I'll figure this out eventually, and post the results.

Alex.