Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-12-2019, 04:30 AM   #81
Crowzilla
Human being with feelings

Mrelwood is now selectable in the KVR Audio Readers' Choice Awards 2019.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I could find him in the developers list, so I can choose him as a favorite developer, but his plugins are not yet there, thus I could not, for example choose AmpEra in the Favorite Guitar Virtual Effect Processor category - there are also other categories where his plugins could be nominated, but at the moment they are not found in the KVR plugin list.

If and when Mrelwood updates the info on the KVR side of things, they will appear in the database and will be become selectable in the Readers' Choice Awards too.

This really is a great day for all the Reaperites, because now we can choose a JSfx developer (if we want to) and not gripe about how Reaper's capabilities are forgotten when things like this KVR's Audio Readers' Choice Awards take place.

Cheers and thanks to Mrelwood.
Crowzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:51 AM   #82
mrelwood

Thank you! Yes, I recently got approved as a developer at KVR. I haven’t yet had the time to enter any of my plugins, or even an avatar...

AmpEra and BAMP would indeed be great contenders for the vote, but unfortunately they are just not ready yet. They are still in the public beta stage, and I don’t have them available even at my website. AmpEra is very close to being finished, but BAMP needs an interface overhaul, as I’m not at all satisfied with the functionality of the EQ section. I have a few fresh ideas that I have to test myself first. But the sound is promising, and just today I had an actual live gig that I used only a distorted sound directly from BAMP. No amp, no pedals, just an interface and a laptop. And it’s been by miles the best sound that I’ve ever played a gig with!
Old 10-13-2019, 11:42 AM   #83
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrelwood View Post
<snip>

So stay tuned, guys!
We eagerly do!

And if not this year, but then next year I hope, we can vote for AmpEra. I've used it already several times to reamp so-so guitars, and it sounds *really* good. As does BAMP.

Thanks.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:46 AM   #84
Crowzilla

Quote:
Thank you! Yes, I recently got approved as a developer at KVR. I haven’t yet had the time to enter any of my plugins, or even an avatar...

AmpEra and BAMP would indeed be great contenders for the vote, but unfortunately they are just not ready yet. They are still in the public beta stage, and I don’t have them available even at my website. AmpEra is very close to being finished, but BAMP needs an interface overhaul, as I’m not at all satisfied with the functionality of the EQ section. I have a few fresh ideas that I have to test myself first. But the sound is promising, and just today I had an actual live gig that I used only a distorted sound directly from BAMP. No amp, no pedals, just an interface and a laptop. And it’s been by miles the best sound that I’ve ever played a gig with!
Yes, it is good to get everything ready first and then proceed from there as you wish and in your own time - like Fabian said there is the next year's reader's choice thing again and by that time AmpEra, Bamp etc. are probably ready to take part and.... win. (at least in my book, as well as many other of your plugins)

Just to mention some love for your other plugins, (thought this is not the proper place for it) the LinkEq has been a pure pleasure to work with. (it has been in just about everything that I do with Reaper) All I can think of is, why Reaeq could not implement the same functionality in it and become supeRearEq - after your demonstration with the LinkEq's power they really should at least think about it!

Your live gig experience with using Bamp was an interesting story too and it touched something that I've often wondered about all the amp sims out there, meaning would it be good idea to try them in a live setting? It is undeniable that a good sound/tone will inspire a better experience all around, so I'm all for it if it works - thus far, though there has been a very examples to my knowledge of such usage, so it was good to hear that you got a killer tone live too - I think I would want to try AmpEra in a similar way some day. Cheers and thanks.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:02 AM   #85
mrelwood

After the exhaustingly long wait I'm finally able to give you:

AmpEra 0.94 beta!
http://b.link/mrelwood_AmpEra_0v94b

What's new:
- Tones overhaul
- Dynamics overhaul, incl. "Tube touch" input stage and power amp sag
- Auto-volume overhaul
- New output limiter
Bug fixes:
- No more fade-in after sleep
- A/B now switches Gate and Quality properly

I believe this version is very close to the final 1.0! But as always, if you locate an issue or would prefer something changed, please let me know!
Old 10-18-2019, 11:13 AM   #86
Regisfofo

Nice, I know what I'm going to test this weekend...
Regisfofo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:46 AM   #87
Jeffsounds

Awesome! Thank you!
Old 10-23-2019, 12:17 AM   #88
mrelwood

I just couldn't keep my hands off after jamming a bit with AmpEra after resting my ears for a few days, so here is...

AmpEra 0.95 beta!

http://b.link/mrelwood_AmpEra_0v95b

- Fine tuning of all sounds, clean and dirty
- Fine tuning of dynamic behaviour
Old 10-24-2019, 02:44 PM   #89
Crowzilla

Quote:
I just couldn't keep my hands off after jamming a bit with AmpEra after resting my ears for a few days, so here is...

AmpEra 0.95 beta!

http://b.link/mrelwood_AmpEra_0v95b

- Fine tuning of all sounds, clean and dirty
- Fine tuning of dynamic behaviour
I played with the 0.94 beta some time, but to my mind, this 0.95 beta is a big improvement over it - it simply seems to have a more defined, "crispy" (for a lack of a better word) sound to it.

I made an impulse response for this one, (well, at least for the sound I am after) and the amp sim just delivers the goods.

I think I might/should record something to demonstrate how well AmpEra 0.95 really reacts to different ways of playing etc. because you can really get a lot out of it - it simply delivers.

This one works for me. Cheers and thanks.
Old 10-25-2019, 07:33 AM   #90
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowzilla View Post
I played with the 0.94 beta some time, but to my mind, this 0.95 beta is a big improvement over it
I think this is a perfect demonstration on what happens when one adjusts the sounds after having exhausted one’s ears. Coding takes a lot of time for me, and after listening to the same looped 1 bar guitar riff for hours, it’s near impossible to make sane decisions about the EQ adjustments. A few days of rest and everything sounded very different to me, so I adjusted the EQ’s and released the 0.95.

Quote:
I think I might/should record something to demonstrate how well AmpEra 0.95 really reacts to different ways of playing etc. because you can really get a lot out of it - it simply delivers.
Thank you for the nice words! Great to hear that it works well for you. I’d love to hear what you get out of it!
Old 10-27-2019, 03:52 PM   #91
Crowzilla

Quote:

Thank you for the nice words! Great to hear that it works well for you. I’d love to hear what you get out of it!

Well, I decided to record some improvisation with the AmpEra 0.95 B and I used only my high gain setting on it - all the sounds on the video are achievable with just the pickup selector and the volume knobs deciding where to go next. (all the pedals, the OD and Eq are on all the time, turning them on and off would get you all kinds of other sounds too).

I used my own IR which I made for this AmpEra version and there is no post processing at all. I have to say that I really like AmpEra a lot. Cheers.

Old 10-29-2019, 10:20 AM   #92
bolgwrad

Well done for all your superb work Mr Elwood (donated), but on my XP SP3 Reaper machine (stability, hw drivers and no, it's not Webbed up) AmpEra0.95 shows 40% CPU on the plugin performance meter. Oh well.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:56 AM   #93
Stringer

On my Linux machine, it only shows 9-13%. That still seemed high to me, but not unreasonably so.
Old 10-29-2019, 02:09 PM   #94
Liquid Fusion

Really Like your plugin!! Hope you're feeling better.
Noticed with Speakers ON - clean strat guitar - got "clicks/pops" buffer 512 - Turning OFF Speakers got rid of the "clicks/pops."

Love saturated blues rock sound. Made a Blues recording experimenting with Volume / Gain UP - Bullet Strat - Neck pickup / rhythm and bridge humbucker = lead
Amp Era Blues Jam - soundcloud - sound achieved by playing with volume /gain - bridge / neck pickups
Amp Era Plugin Only: No post processing or other plugins added
000 secs = ERA '10 UK 100 | 018 secs = ERA '10 US 100 | 035 secs = ERA 69 UK 100 | 048 secs = ERA 69 US 100 | 110 secs = ERA 80 UK 78 | 128 secs = ERA '10 UK 100

Last edited by Liquid Fusion; 10-30-2019 at 03:31 PM.
Liquid Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 04:00 PM   #95
mrelwood

Thank you guys for the recordings! It's nice to hear what you can come up with the AmpEra. I've been hoping for someone to explore the bluesy side of the plugin, so extra thanks to Liquid Fusion! Sounds great!

I am aware that the AmpEra uses more resources than most other amp sims. I will try to improve it further, but at the moment the realtime IR loader is what takes the most resources. The codebase is not my own, and I have no idea how to improve on it, since the whole process goes way beyond my understanding.

Tips to improve the performance:
- Turn "HQ" to off, or at least yellow.
- Only use the speaker slider on either end, or use the included impulse files in ReaVerb instead.
- Dialing Room, Delay and Gate to zero might also have a very small effect.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:05 AM   #96
Crowzilla

Quote:
I am aware that the AmpEra uses more resources than most other amp sims. I will try to improve it further, but at the moment the realtime IR loader is what takes the most resources.

- Only use the speaker slider on either end, or use the included impulse files in ReaVerb instead.
ReaVerb works great as an impulse response loader. I think my CPU shows something like 7-10% when using AmpEra with it (maybe I had something else on too, I forget), so I don't think it is that bad, at least I've had no problems with it. In any case it really is worth a try to use it as an impulse response loader instead of AmpEra itself.
Old 11-01-2019, 03:00 PM   #97
Regisfofo

Hi MrElwood. I finally took some time to play with 0.95. Man, I really like it! And your goal to cover from clean to blues/Rock and Metal seems attained for me! I still enjoyed playing with pick dynamic and volume button. 0V94 was nice too but really bassy!
It's very easy to work with, and everything seems to be working fine, just another last UI thingy here : https://www.dropbox.com/s/sh1boe75eu...nshot.jpg?dl=0
Take it with a grain of salt as with my freshly reinstalled os, JS fonts are displayed weirdly. But other jsfx are ok For the UI part nontheless...
Congrats. It's a pleasure to play with that sim!
Cheers
Regisfofo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:35 PM   #98
Antonov_Mike

Great idea and good job!

Your plugin on FreeVST page:
https://facebook.com/FreeVst/photos/...86761828039591
Old 11-16-2019, 02:45 PM   #99
DuraMorte

I can't get this plugin working on Ubuntu 18.04.

I've tried putting the folder in every "effects" folder present in the Reaper install path, to no avail.

Reaper never detects it; filtering all plugins for 'amp' gives me nothing.

What am I doing wrong?

Edit: the proper effects folder is ~/.config/REAPER/Effects, not the installation folder, for anyone else who gets stuck.

Last edited by DuraMorte; 11-16-2019 at 03:19 PM.
DuraMorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 05:09 AM   #100
bolgwrad

Thanks for the advice, got it down to 16% by turning the speakers off. Just for a 'whatif' I put a random amp IR sample (46k) in the data folder; got it up to 65%!
Old 01-15-2020, 03:34 AM   #101
g4greg

I finally got around trying your amp, and MAN! yes, it's a bit hungry on resurces, but I can live with it.

it just does what it says on the tin! I was pulling off convincing hendrix licks one second, and chugging along modern metal the next.

I've been a Kuassa user for years, and I never thought I'd really look anywhere else as I was happy with my tone... But that bad boy.. Dayum!

I'd pay for a nice amp like that quite honestly!
Old 01-24-2020, 04:51 PM   #102
mrelwood

Hi guys! Lately I've been working mostly with the bass amp, but now that it's closing in to be ready, AmpEra will finally get some love again. I have learned what AmpEra is lacking by using it in a few band mixes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4greg View Post
I finally got around trying your amp, and MAN! yes, it's a bit hungry on resurces, but I can live with it.

it just does what it says on the tin! I was pulling off convincing hendrix licks one second, and chugging along modern metal the next.

I've been a Kuassa user for years, and I never thought I'd really look anywhere else as I was happy with my tone... But that bad boy.. Dayum!

I'd pay for a nice amp like that quite honestly!
Thanks g4greg, great to hear that you like it!

Btw. I do have a donate button at my plugin pages in case you want to pay for AmpEra...
Old 03-29-2020, 06:25 PM   #103
mrelwood

This is a HUGE update for me. Finally after literally hundreds of work hours I was able to get all the things and details I've worked on, wrapped up to a well functioning entity. Let me introduce the AmpEra release candidate:

http://b.link/mrelwood_AmpEra_0v99

New features:
- Much improved CPU utilization (speaker selector is now a 5-position switch)
- New internal preamp section
- Rewritten dynamics behaviour
- "Sag" adjustment
- Improved Gate
- Gate indicator LEDs
- Button for semi-parametric midrange mode
- Overhauled sound profiles
- Higher resolution graphics

The sounds should now better fit in a mix as is, but for jamming out one might want to just increase the bass a bit.

A lot has changed, so please let me know if you find any issues!

Last edited by mrelwood; 03-29-2020 at 06:31 PM.
mrelwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:46 AM   #104
enroe

Quote:
This is a HUGE update for me. Finally after literally hundreds of work hours ...
Great! Thank you for your high commitment and this long time!
I am a little overwhelmed!
Old 03-30-2020, 04:44 AM   #105
kstn

Great amp, thanks! Just put guitar and play. Only change gain sometimes. And with my constant transferring projects between win, macOS and linux - js ampsim is something like manna from heaven)
kstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 12:34 AM   #106
g4greg

Just a little shameless plug to say that the whole left side of the guitars in this video is the ampera.. (except when I do the spider parody, of course lol)

Thank you so much for all your efforts, and hope you like metal parodies..

Old 08-29-2020, 12:43 AM   #107
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4greg View Post
Just a little shameless plug to say that the whole left side of the guitars in this video is the ampera.. (except when I do the spider parody, of course lol)

Thank you so much for all your efforts, and hope you like metal parodies..
Hahaa! That was GREAT, thank you so much for sharing! Very nice to hear what you were able to create with AmpEra.
Old 08-29-2020, 10:22 AM   #108
bolgwrad

Sounds great, well done - and though I'm still getting 16% CPU spkrs off and 25% CPU spkrs on, Reaper seems not to be bothered - no stuttering or anything. The spkrs on/off button takes a few clicks to respond, dunno if this is a CPU issue.

Using a dinosaur PC (informed choice) so no harm no foul.
Old 12-31-2020, 05:16 AM   #109
Crowzilla

Happy almost new year to everyone and big thanks to Mrelwood for providing us a killer, killer guitar amp, Ampera!

I used Ampera 0.99 for this guitar solo competition (of course music is not a competition, but I get that they have to make known their "competition" in some way) and I think it worked wonderfully! Thank you Mrelwood!

A little bug report that I noticed just recently. The sag knob seems to reset back to 10 every time you load Ampera 0.99 anew. For example if I make a chain where Ampera is, and set the sag, for example to 0.7, it will be 10 when I load the chain again. It happens also if you open Reaper after the computer is awaked out of its sleep mode and Reaper and Ampera wakes with it. I'm currently on Windows 10 but I think it kept happening just a week ago in my Windows 8.1 too. (I can't seem to recall for sure) It really is a minor thing, but I thought I would report it anyway!

And again, happy almost 2021 to everyone! May it be a much better year, with all the goodness and happiness galore!

Old 12-31-2020, 06:23 AM   #110
martifingers

Just to say that "http://b.link/mrelwood_AmpEra_0v99"
is giving me this:

"Website blocked due to trojan
Website blocked: b.link

Malwarebytes Browser Guard blocked this website because it may contain malware activity.
We strongly recommend you do not continue."

Possibly false positive but I thought I should mention it.
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 05:49 PM   #111
mrelwood

Quote:
A little bug report that I noticed just recently. The sag knob seems to reset back to 10
Thanks for letting me know! I’ll look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martifingers View Post
"Website blocked due to trojan
Website blocked: b.link
Thanks. b.link is just a free redirecting service I use for the links, and as such it can trigger false positives with some security software. There’s a new web page for my plugins on the way which may solve the issue, but I haven’t yet gotten to familiarizing with the new service.

I must say that I’m ashamed how long AmpEra has been without an update. I’m currently well on my way in rebuilding the sounds for the new speaker impulses I made. Again. Once I get it in order, I’ll release a final asap.
Old 01-01-2021, 02:39 AM   #112
ivansc

Ashamed to say I had let your Ampera slip from my mind for a while.

I`ll be downloading the current version & looking forward to the next one!

Sorry about neglecting you.
Old 01-04-2021, 06:04 AM   #113
Crowzilla

Quote:

I must say that I’m ashamed how long AmpEra has been without an update. I’m currently well on my way in rebuilding the sounds for the new speaker impulses I made. Again. Once I get it in order, I’ll release a final asap.
This is good news, AmpEra deserves its number 1.00 release! My question is does, "rebuilding the sounds for the new speaker impulses" mean that you'll redesign the sound of the amp itself (gain structure etc) to fit the new impulses or rather that you tweak the eq and the impulses to fit the amp? I think Ampera 0.99 already sounds really good and the gainier sounds have been a joy to play with! I do hope that you'll keep that aspect of AmpEra still going, even though I know that you would like to have the more blusier side there too! Cheers!
Old 01-04-2021, 08:13 AM   #114
mrelwood

Quote:
My question is does, "rebuilding the sounds for the new speaker impulses" mean that you'll redesign the sound of the amp itself (gain structure etc) to fit the new impulses or rather that you tweak the eq and the impulses to fit the amp?
What a great question! Worthy even of a longer essay actually, but I’ll keep it short(ish).

The process is the same that I’ve gone through over half a dozen times already during the AmpEra lifecycle, each time making the change smaller. Some tweaking of the gain structure and clipping modes was required to fit the new impulses, but every time I have changed the sounds in any way, has been to get closer to the sounds I have had in my head for AmpEra since day one. As my coding skills have improved, I have usually been able to make it better, which is why AmpEra 0.5x and the likes are not relevant anymore. There has just always been something that I’m missing in the sounds of the behavior of the AmpEra.

This has been a bold project to take on with the experience I had (none at all). But boy has it taught me a lot! All other plugins I’ve made, at least a few dozen by now, have been a short stroll in the park compared to AmpEra. Even BAMP. My appreciation for guitar amp designers is at an all time high, I can tell you that much!

Let’s hope that we’ll see AmpEra 1.0 get done sooner rather than later.
Old 01-05-2021, 06:27 AM   #115
Crowzilla

Quote:
What a great question! Worthy even of a longer essay actually, but I’ll keep it short(ish).

The process is the same that I’ve gone through over half a dozen times already during the AmpEra lifecycle, each time making the change smaller. Some tweaking of the gain structure and clipping modes was required to fit the new impulses, but every time I have changed the sounds in any way, has been to get closer to the sounds I have had in my head for AmpEra since day one. As my coding skills have improved, I have usually been able to make it better, which is why AmpEra 0.5x and the likes are not relevant anymore. There has just always been something that I’m missing in the sounds of the behavior of the AmpEra.

This has been a bold project to take on with the experience I had (none at all). But boy has it taught me a lot! All other plugins I’ve made, at least a few dozen by now, have been a short stroll in the park compared to AmpEra. Even BAMP. My appreciation for guitar amp designers is at an all time high, I can tell you that much!

Let’s hope that we’ll see AmpEra 1.0 get done sooner rather than later.
That was an interesting read, indeed! Now, if you follow the pattern of making smaller adjustments in every new edition of AmpEra again, like you said you did in the past, then this last one was probably already quite close to what you had in mind?! For me, personally (is there any other way of saying that, I'm not too fond of using the expression, for me personally!?) I've been really happy with what I can get out of AmpEra 0.99 but I'm really excited to hear what the new changes/adjustments will make to this terminator swiss army knife of an amp!

I have to say, that it has always been a treat to find out that a new version of AmpEra has come out. My impression thus far has been, that the amp seems to have become more and more real with each and every new revision and undoubtedly that's a great thing! There may be and of course there are many, many amp sims on the market, but somehow I've always come back to AmpEra - it really is a great piece of gear that just works like a champion!

Again thank you for your hard work. I can but imagine the undertaking of starting something like this, while also making all your other plugins! It must be a labor of love and perhaps that's why your amp and plugins simply ROCK!

PS. Bamp rocks too! It's an instant bass in your face machine for sure!
Old 01-05-2021, 09:16 AM   #116
mrelwood

Quote:
this last one was probably already quite close to what you had in mind?!
Fundamentally yes. I think what I'm after is more akin to sort of mastering the sounds. I'm hoping to achieve a more massive, larger bodied sound. The current sounds are easily a bit tinny or spikey in a mix, and a bit hot in the lower treble section. But the behaviour and fundamental nature of the amp will surely remain mostly similiar. I was already able to improve the dynamics of the clean sounds, so I just need to adjust the 17-band EQ and the 8-band pre-EQ for the 12 cornerstone sounds, and both pre and post 4-band shelving EQs for 27 intermediate sounds... No big deal! XoD

Quote:
somehow I've always come back to AmpEra - it really is a great piece of gear that just works like a champion!
Thank you so much for the kind words! It feels so good to hear that others are finding AmpEra to be useful, let a lone the go to amp! Definitely proves that I'm on the right track!
Old 01-06-2021, 02:35 AM   #117
jjcale_guitar

Thanks for the hard work MrElwood! Just installed and tested Ampera 0.99 in Linux Reaper. Worked out of the box. Seems that going with JS format is very reliable and stable.

Furthermore; the sounds!! Really great from the get-go. And endless possibilities too.

Recently I've been going from two half stacks with mikes, to guitar DI and plugins. The transition is hard since the experience of the guitar sound is so different between live in the room and digital. But your plugin solves a lot of that and is easy to use, and get good sounds too!

I'm really looking forward to version 1.0 and if there is any way I can contribute to the testing I would really like to.

I'm on Linux with Reaper 6.18. Might go for 6.19 soon.
jjcale_guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 02:53 AM   #118
timothys_monster

Hello mrelwood,

I just stumbled upon your plugins and they look like a lot of hard work and dedication! Thanks for sharing them so humbly with us.

I just wanted to know if you are planning on a repository for ReaPack. It would be super handy to have them all in one place and automatically updated!

Thanks again and all the best!
timothys_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 04:48 PM   #119
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothys_monster View Post
I just wanted to know if you are planning on a repository for ReaPack.
Reapack is something I would like to go towards, but my current update habits do not sit very well with an automatically updating repository. Once I get the versions to be more stable, I will look into it again, hoping that at least most of my plugins would end up in ReaPack.
Old 01-06-2021, 07:33 PM   #120
gvdv

mrelwood,
Thank you very much for AmpEra.

I am looking forward to trying it.

Just a note - I could not download AmpEra or any of your other plugins using Chrome, so switched to Edge, and downloaded with no problem.

I am going to add your website to chrome as a trusted website, in the hopes that is the problem, but would suggest that anyone else having a problem with Chrome switch to another browser.

Thanks again.
gvdv is offline   Reply With Quote