Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 01-28-2011, 11:16 AM   #41
bob
Human being with feelings

Default Download complete

I can load the samples into the sfz player but no sucess with Dimension Le
Can´t figure it. Tried loading the folder into the Dimension multi samples but Dimension wouldn't load them.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:23 AM   #42
cerendir

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
I can load the samples into the sfz player but no sucess with Dimension Le
Can´t figure it. Tried loading the folder into the Dimension multi samples but Dimension wouldn't load them.
You need to click on the area in the large display (below the four element buttons) that says "Empty" and browse for the sfz file you want to load.

Edit: Oh, I forgot -- important info about using SSO with Dim LE: For the filters to work, you need to make sure that Dimension's built-in Filter section is set to off, and that the Cutoff button is at 0. Otherwise it will override the filters in the loaded sfz file.

Last edited by cerendir; 01-28-2011 at 11:32 AM.
cerendir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:33 AM   #43
bob

Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerendir View Post
You need to click on the area in the large display (below the four element buttons) that says "Empty" and browse for the sfz file you want to load.
I got it now.You know what the samples sound better in the sfz player imho
Old 01-28-2011, 11:37 AM   #44
cerendir

Quote:
I got it now.You know what the samples sound better in the sfz player imho
Really? As mentioned earlier in this thread, some samples sound quite bad in SFZ Player. Try the sustained 1st violins in the high register. No extreme high-end sizzling?
Old 01-28-2011, 11:57 AM   #45
onewayout

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewayout View Post
WOW! Incredible!! Ok I am a COMPLETE novice when it comes to working with this kinda source....I have the SFz+ and I can load one instrument at a time and get some awesome REAL sounds...

NOW 1st is there anyone out there that has some cool pre-made midi files for orchestra melodies and then How would I have more than one sound loaded into the sfz+ to play those??
Just Bumpin' this one...(-:
onewayout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:07 PM   #46
cerendir

onewayout, sfz+ can't load the SSO library. It only loads soundfonts. You need to use the free SFZ Player or some commercial plugin e.g. Dimension LE/Pro or ARIA.

As for where to find orchestral midi files, I have no idea. I haven't downloaded any midi files for like a decade.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:07 PM   #47
peter5992

Congratulations Cerendir!

I have EWQLSO and Hollywood Strings and probably won't download it, but it is nice to see that you put in so much effort and time to make a symphonic orchestra VST available to people who cannot afford the high end libraries.
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:37 PM   #48
onewayout

Quote:
onewayout, sfz+ can't load the SSO library. It only loads soundfonts. You need to use the free SFZ Player or some commercial plugin e.g. Dimension LE/Pro or ARIA.
Ok Cool Cerendir!

Quote:
As for where to find orchestral midi files, I have no idea. I haven't downloaded any midi files for like a decade.

How about you bro, do you have any cool little orchestra riffs in a midi file you wanna share?....(-;
Old 01-28-2011, 12:38 PM   #49
cerendir

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter5992 View Post
Congratulations Cerendir!

I have EWQLSO and Hollywood Strings and probably won't download it, but it is nice to see that you put in so much effort and time to make a symphonic orchestra VST available to people who cannot afford the high end libraries.

Hollywood Strings... *drool*

Well you're right, with that kind of libraries you are hardly the target audience.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:44 PM   #50
cerendir

Quote:
How about you bro, do you have any cool little orchestra riffs in a midi file you wanna share?....(-;
I'm sorry, no. Why not experiment on your own? If you need tips on how to arrange for orchestra there's a wealth of information on the net.

Besides, mid files will not give you a much better understanding of how an orchestral arrangement works. GM has only 16 channels and all sections and instruments of an orchestra simply can not fit into 16 channels. Which means compromises, i.e. all brass being played on a single ensemble patch, same with strings etc.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:11 PM   #51
bob

Quote:
Really? As mentioned earlier in this thread, some samples sound quite bad in SFZ Player. Try the sustained 1st violins in the high register. No extreme high-end sizzling?
see what you mean.I get the violin note PLUS and accompanying "noise" along with the note.I also get it exactly the same using dimension pro however.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:32 PM   #52
cerendir

Quote:
see what you mean.I get the violin note PLUS and accompanying "noise" along with the note.I also get it exactly the same using dimension pro however.
You do? Dammit. I *can* hear it too in Dimension LE but far less pronounced than in SFZ Player. Is there something wrong with those samples?

Everyone else, please let me know if you encounter this issue and what sampler/sample player you're using. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyGinese View Post
I have it hosted on my site(non Linked yet) you can set it up as a Mirror on your website if you want. My hosting claims that I have "unlimited bandwidth" I guess we'll see. lol
I missed this post, sorry. Big thanks for the mirror Jonny, I'll add it to the d/l page tomorrow!
Old 01-28-2011, 01:36 PM   #53
onewayout

Quote:
I'm sorry, no. Why not experiment on your own? If you need tips on how to arrange for orchestra there's a wealth of information on the net.

Besides, mid files will not give you a much better understanding of how an orchestral arrangement works. GM has only 16 channels and all sections and instruments of an orchestra simply can not fit into 16 channels. Which means compromises, i.e. all brass being played on a single ensemble patch, same with strings etc.
Cheers Than Cerendir....Always looking for the easy way out....hehehehehe

Thanks again for all the hard work and sending out this stuff for free Sir!
Old 01-28-2011, 01:37 PM   #54
bob

Default I have been testing the others

Quote:
You do? Dammit. I *can* hear it too in Dimension LE but far less pronounced than in SFZ Player. Is there something wrong with those samples?

Everyone else, please let me know if you encounter this issue and what sampler/sample player you're using. Thanks.

I missed this post, sorry. Big thanks for the mirror Jonny, I'll add it to the d/l page tomorrow!
woodwinds are excellent Solo alto flute!! Bassoons etc and solo violin all very real in my Amateur opinion.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:57 PM   #55
ivansc

Just now downloading but naturally this should be bumped if not STICKIED.

Excellent work! I have the EW play browsing of their Orchestral stuff but this will be far better for hacking out rough stuff.

You are a hero, mate.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:06 PM   #56
audioguytodd

Default Free Orchestration Course

Anyone interested in orchestration/composition should take a look at the free interactive orchestration course on the Garritan web site. It is excellent: http://www.garritan.com/index.php?op...pper&Itemid=34
Old 01-28-2011, 02:21 PM   #57
audioguytodd

cerendir, I only gave them a quick listen last night- but did use Dimension and SFZ player. I could really hear the high end shriek on the upper violins (sus) in SFZ. I will give them a good listen in Dimension tonight.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:22 PM   #58
Quasar

Wow, I just listened to the .mp3 demo... stunning! I already have Garritan, but like a lot of people, I can't afford the high-end EW or VSL stuff, and I will definitely try this out. This fills a big hole in freeware and open source options for DAW enthusiasts. Thanks much!
Quasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:38 PM   #59
urednik

Haha, Belkin wrote some rubbish here: http://www.garritan.com/index.php?op...pper&Itemid=34

Ehh, who would understand horn players after all ...
W10 (64) Lenovo E540 - SSD; Lenovo B590; W7 (32), Compaq 610 (2.1Ghz core 2 duo, L2 cache, 2GB RAM); DPA 4018, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MTSC 64, Neumann mk184, AEA Ribbon 88mk, AKG SolidTUBE; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, recording merely live acoustic music.
urednik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:50 AM   #60
calico6

Thank you cerendir a very nice piece of work. I downloaded them out of interest (I did my share of seeding as well, you gotta give back) and was surprised not so much by the quality, but moreover the character of some of the instruments which I think have been captured so well. I'm always on the lookout for a good oboe and found the one included with this libray particularly true to life, imho better than on many commercial libraries which tend to sound too in your face and rarely capture the true quality of this sweet instrument. Very well done indeed. I think that anyone starting out who doesn't have the financial resources to buy the commercial libraries should have a serious look at getting and using this. It just goes to show you don't always need big $ to get a half decent orchestral sound. Cheer, Cal.
calico6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:07 AM   #61
cerendir

Thanks for all your encourgaing comments everyone. I'm glad to see the library is appreciated.

Anyway, I spent a couple of hours last night investigating the issues with SFZ Player and I must say I'm stumped. The "hiss" seems to come and go at random. I checked the frequency spectrum with Voxengo SPAN and sure enough I could see some major peaks between 15kH and 20kHz that shouldn't be there. Tried it again a short while later and the peaks were gone, the violins sounding pretty much the same as in Dimension LE. What the hell is going on?

Also... when trying out the different quality settings just to see if it made any difference, I swear that after 72 was a 512(!) setting. I've never seen it before and today it's gone again. Does anyone else have a 512 quality setting in SFZ?

This plugin is haunted.

Update:

This is not a problem with SSO, same thing happens with other sfz files I've tried. Here's what it looks like in Dim LE...

... and then the same sample and same note in SFZ Player.

Obviously there's a huge boost in the highest frequencies. Why? If this is a bug I'm surprised I've never seen it mentioned considering how many people use this plugin.

Update 2:

Random indeed. I had the project open in the background while posting the above. When I alt-tabbed back to REAPER, the hiss bug is gone again. Same note, same sample:

Last edited by cerendir; 01-29-2011 at 01:59 AM.
cerendir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:48 AM   #62
cerendir

Setting the project sample rate to 48kHz (or higher) seems to fix it. I have no fricking idea why because the samples are 44kHz and running them at a different sample rate ought to lead to more artifacts, not less.

So: if you're using SFZ Player and the samples sound noisy, try switching to 48kHz. I'll be adding a Known Issues thread on the SSO forum in a little while, with this info and more.

It should be mentioned that strings samples usually *do* have a certain screechiness to them, especially in the high register. It's a combination of bow noise, overtones and the resonance of the space they're in. It's not something you can get rid of without making the samples sound dull and unnatural. IOW, a bit of harshness is normal and to be expected.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:42 AM   #63
Third Son

Default Thanks so much

Quote:
I'm proud to announce the release of Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra, a Creative Commons-licensed orchestral sample library in sfz format.

Some of you might remember this thread -- well, this is what the experiment lead to. None of this would have been possible without the help and feedback from the REAPER community, so I'm letting you know first.

Enjoy!
These samples are great...

I am a little concerned about bit torrents....are they safe?
Third Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:34 AM   #64
cerendir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Son View Post
What do you mean?
Old 01-29-2011, 08:31 AM   #65
onewayout

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguytodd View Post
Anyone interested in orchestration/composition should take a look at the free interactive orchestration course on the Garritan web site. It is excellent: http://www.garritan.com/index.php?op...pper&Itemid=34
Thanks Todd!
Old 01-29-2011, 11:20 AM   #66
eto

Wow... thanks cerendir and thanks Todd! Great post.
Stefano
eto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:41 AM   #67
brainwreck

Way cool, Cerendir. I'm looking forward to checking this out.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:46 AM   #68
ElCongelador

Great project, great library!

Anyone aware of a free sfz player for mac? I can't find anything.
ElCongelador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:26 PM   #69
onewayout

Quote:

Whats the difference between the sfz and sfz+? I just downloaded the sfz player and it is very basic to say the least and the sfz+ has alot of settings to play with...I could load the sounds from the sso file no problem and mess with them in the sfz+ with all it's settings....what am I missing that I would want to use just the plain sfz??

Cheers, jeff
Old 01-29-2011, 02:32 PM   #70
cerendir

Quote:
Whats the difference between the sfz and sfz+? I just downloaded the sfz player and it is very basic to say the least and the sfz+ has alot of settings to play with...I could load the sounds from the sso file no problem and mess with them in the sfz+ with all it's settings....what am I missing that I would want to use just the plain sfz??

Cheers, jeff
In that case you're doing something wrong, probably loading the wave files or something, not the .sfz files (the ones in the SSO root folder). Because sfz+ only loads soundfonts (sf2) and wave. There is no way you could have loaded a sfz file into sfz+.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:51 PM   #71
Quasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Son View Post
These samples are great...

LOL, yeah, this is safe. In the world of illegal file sharing, some torrents are designed to be malicious, but since this is legal and free and we know the intent of this torrent's author, those concerns don't apply here.
Quasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:12 PM   #72
cerendir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasar View Post
LOL, yeah, this is safe. In the world of illegal file sharing, some torrents are designed to be malicious, but since this is legal and free and we know the intent of this torrent's author, those concerns don't apply here.
Just to clarify... "torrents" are just carriers, a system for file distribution. A torrent file in itself can't be safe or unsafe. It's just a link, basically. It's the file that the torrent points to that you have to watch out for if you're downloading stuff from unknown sources.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:17 PM   #73
ts335

Cerendir,
I downloaded and played with this last night in DimPro. Very excellent work here and thank you for sharing. I was wondering if it would be possible to get a copy of your demo as a Reaper project. I struggle to understand how the instrument placement and articulations are done and this would be a great way to view exactly what is going on under the covers.

If not that's cool and thanks again for the excellent gift!!
<<TS>>
ts335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:28 PM   #74
Veneteaou

I've got my orchestral libraries covered, but I must say that (for what it is) this may be one of the most impressive VIs I've seen in a while.
Veneteaou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:52 AM   #75
mabian

Default wow

Awesome effort for awesome results.

Thank you so much, soundfonts and sfz are not dead at all in the end.

I hope you can figure out that strange 48KHz behaviour.

Thanks again,
Mario

P.S. Kudos for the torrent idea too!
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:37 AM   #76
ts335

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguytodd View Post
Todd - Thanks for this - I missed it yesterday when I asked Cerendir for the project file. Some of the exercises should help me understand better the controller info for swells and the like.

BTW - I have a brother named Todd in Atlanta.
<<TS>>
ts335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:48 AM   #77
onewayout

Quote:
In that case you're doing something wrong, probably loading the wave files or something, not the .sfz files (the ones in the SSO root folder). Because sfz+ only loads soundfonts (sf2) and wave. There is no way you could have loaded a sfz file into sfz+.
oh oK, i GOT IT NOW...fOR SOME REASON THE SFZ FILES WEREN''T SHOWING AT FIRST...CHEERS!
Old 01-30-2011, 08:19 AM   #78
onewayout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts335 View Post
Cerendir,
I downloaded and played with this last night in DimPro. Very excellent work here and thank you for sharing. I was wondering if it would be possible to get a copy of your demo as a Reaper project. I struggle to understand how the instrument placement and articulations are done and this would be a great way to view exactly what is going on under the covers.

If not that's cool and thanks again for the excellent gift!!
<<TS>>
+1 for this!
Old 01-30-2011, 02:42 PM   #79
SoulOne82

Thanks so much for sharing, Cerendir. These are A*W*E*S*O*M*E!
SoulOne82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:32 PM   #80
Sambo Rouge

Cerendir.

Thank you so much for the Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra(nifty name).

A big thanks to all of the testers too and to the people who have arranged extra download sites.

I know you did a tremendous amount of work on this and believe me it was very worthwhile. A marvellous job, the samples are truly superb(just selecting good ones must have taken you centuries).

Only minor niggle: low rumbling noise on higher violin wavs. Not a huge problem and I'm sure highly sortable.

A big thank you for a truly wonderful effort --- very much appreciated.
Sambo Rouge is offline   Reply With Quote