Old 10-01-2017, 06:53 AM   #41
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

And a mid-tracking snip of the title track... Not sure what my screen capture app then youtube is going to do to the audio quality but doesn't really matter here...

Who on earth does a 9 minute title track these days, well I guess we do.

Last edited by karbomusic; 10-01-2017 at 07:03 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:55 AM   #42
Jeffsounds

Sounds great! Very enjoyable... well, except for all the times I kept trying to close out the Signalizer vst...
Old 10-01-2017, 04:56 PM   #43
Tod

Sounds good Karbo, I especially liked the chorus, at least I assume it's a chorus, nice lush sounding vocals and guitars. The drums sound good and are definitely out there.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 05:07 PM   #44
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Sounds good Karbo, I especially liked the chorus, at least I assume it's a chorus, nice lush sounding vocals and guitars. The drums sound good and are definitely out there.
Hi Tod,

Unfortunately it isn't the chorus, it's pre-chorus. It's the one song where the chorus isn't a hook like other parts so that tune will be whatever it can become, but definitely not a pop hit/hook type tune I'm sure. That section is my pet part though, I've sort of played some part in how that section sounds after I joined the band.

It's nine minutes long and potential last track on the 'cd/album'. As far as the drums, didn't even realize (other than the toms sort of should be aka old floydish but agree they are pretty loud above) - it does have a little bit of mixing on it just to get an understanding of where it could potentially end up but is mostly wherever I stopped after tracking keyboards yesterday.

Thanks though guys - We did finish all keys today so two more sessions of other people then I should be able lay a few more of my own tracks for a change.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:25 PM   #45
Judders

It's sounding cool! I like the guitar harmonies.

Not so convinced by "5.1 surround" as a lyric, but I guess I'd have to hear the whole tune to pass judgement
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 05:27 PM   #46
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
It's sounding cool! I like the guitar harmonies.

Not so convinced by "5.1 surround" as a lyric, but I guess I'd have to hear the whole tune to pass judgement
LOL, the lyrics have a lot to do with "passing judgment" hehe - I think the opening line is "the bland lead the bland" - not my tune though. I agree, the 5.1 is likely one of the lesser lines though I'm sure he has some abstract reference for it that I'm unaware of. "Rabbit hole divers, eat God Candy - sticky sweet" can't be headed anywhere normal I'd imagine.

Last edited by karbomusic; 10-01-2017 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:29 PM   #47
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
LOL, the lyrics have a lot to do with "passing judgment" hehe - I think the opening line is "the bland lead the bland" - not my tune though. I agree, the 5.1 is likely one of the lesser lines though I'm sure he has some abstract reference for it that I'm unaware of.
I love "the bland leading the bland"!
Old 10-01-2017, 05:32 PM   #48
karbomusic

And they do!
Old 10-01-2017, 05:32 PM   #49
Judders

Quote:
And they do!
They do indeed.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:11 AM   #50
endorka

Sounding magic Karbo. Love the lively sound in the drums.

Cheers,
Jennifer
Old 10-06-2017, 09:37 AM   #51
karbomusic

Thanks Endorka, I have two sets of room mics on the drums, I am thinking of pulling those out on a song or two, depending on context. I was noticing this last night where one tune is probably served better with the much closer sounding drum sound, TBD!
Old 10-07-2017, 01:47 PM   #52
Strangelove

I'll start by saying i'm incredibly jealous of your setup, ill give the demo a listen when im home. Nice digs!
Old 10-08-2017, 09:24 AM   #53
karbomusic

Default A Real Reverb Room

I think I'll only get away with doing this on one or two songs and/or a track or three. I wish I could but I can't possibly keep this set up and blaring audio throughout the house for the entire mixing stage but you get the idea...

^I recorded the result on the reverb track for the video.

SEND: Reaper Track > HDW Out 5/6 > Snake > Stereo Equator D5s

RECEIVE: Stereo MXL V67s > Snake > UFX IN 11/12 > Reverb receive track.

Thanks StrangeLove - mostly stuff I've collected over the years, a little at a time.

Last edited by karbomusic; 10-08-2017 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:38 PM   #54
Tod

Heh heh, getting pretty fancy with the videos there Karbo.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 03:00 PM   #55
insub

Sweet idea!
Don't forget to record an impulse of that room reverb setup before you take it down!
insub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:06 PM   #56
Jeffsounds

How freakin' cool! The whole house is one big recording studio! My wife would never go for that...
Old 10-14-2017, 07:53 AM   #57
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
How freakin' cool! The whole house is one big recording studio! My wife would never go for that...
I promised mine I'd eventually clean it up - What I'll do is set it all back up near final mix time and burn a few mixes with it all at once.

Speaking of reverb, I posted this in another thread but wanted to post here since I created it for this project. Basically a reverb chain with normal and reverse pan functionality. Place the chain on a track for your reverb...

1. Send to reverb track 1/2 and it's just a normal reverb which follows the panning of the instrument.

2. Send to reverb track 3/4, wherever the pan knob is on the source track, reverb is on the opposite side.

3. Use 1/2 and 3/4 and mix judiciously to say get a good bit of verb on the opposite side and a little less on same side and so on.

4. It follows the source track's pan nob so if say guitar is on left with verb on right, if you pan it right, the reverb morphs over to the left and so on.

Download LCR Reverb Chain

Demo:

I used ReaVerberate so that it works out of the box. You can change to 'most' any other verb but you'll need to match the current pin routings in the ReaVerberate. You can substitute a delay or other effect AFAIK.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:14 AM   #58
karbomusic

Default Small Update

Just working on my guitar tracks this week which means I'm still making a mess in my studio LOL. I was reminded how much I often but not always don't like guitar amps mic'd too close - in contrast to backing them up to 3-5 feet way but in a relatively quiet room.

It isn't much different than micing an acoustic too closely, not enough distance for how it actually sounds to develop before hitting the mic so I had to re-track a couple tunes with the mics pulled back.

The Avantone (red) is about 4 feet away, the 121 down low from a previous attempt but too bassy due to proximity effect on the 121 so I ditched that track and used the Avantone...

121 is 12 inches back here (better) and the W87 is 4+ feet back, I'm blending these two so I time-aligned them after the fact to prevent phase issues. I rarely time-align like that but it was needed here. LDCs can do a really good job on guitar if you get them back a bit.

Old 10-16-2017, 12:53 AM   #59
Judders

Quote:
I think I'll only get away with doing this on one or two songs and/or a track or three. I wish I could but I can't possibly keep this set up and blaring audio throughout the house for the entire mixing stage but you get the idea...
Nice. Are the mic's pointing away from the speakers? You can get a nice bit of diffusion if you point right at the corners of the room.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:49 AM   #60
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
Nice. Are the mic's pointing away from the speakers?
They are and at an upward angle in the general direction of corners. I'll probably grab a few sweep impulses before I clean up.

Last edited by karbomusic; 10-16-2017 at 06:00 AM.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:45 AM   #61
Judders

Quote:
They are and at an upward angle in the general direction of corners. I'll probably grab a few sweep impulses before I clean up.
Sweet. Sounds great!
Old 10-16-2017, 05:22 PM   #62
karbomusic

Default Impulse Response File

I had a few minutes this evening and created a sine wave response and deconvolved it into an IR. I'm sure I won't win any awards for doing this clinically perfect but seems to sound good enough for rock-n-roll.

Demo (first half dry/second half verb):

http://m4messenger.com/music/public/SwannIRDemo.mp3

IR file:

http://m4messenger.com/music/public/SwannRoomIR.zip

Room:

Last edited by karbomusic; 10-16-2017 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:52 PM   #63
Jeffsounds

Thank you, Sir! So, what are those? Six? Seven foot ceilings?
Old 10-17-2017, 10:02 AM   #64
karbomusic

Quote:
So, what are those? Six? Seven foot ceilings?
I got lucky. In my relatively standard neighborhood, in a small percentage of homes, they extended the living room height all the way up to about 25 feet, forgoing the square footage lost for what would have been an additional 1 or 2 second floor rooms. They made up for that loss by finishing the attic into a pseudo third floor - but the third floor spans the width/length of the house (mostly) so I ended up with 4k square feet for the price of less than 3k.

So from the moment we saw the house, I thought "living room = reverb chamber and third floor = man cave/studio" which is was a major factor in choosing that house (only been there 3 years) - along with other things wifeypoo wanted.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:23 PM   #65
Jeffsounds

Quote:
I got lucky. In my relatively standard neighborhood, in a small percentage of homes, they extended the living room height all the way up to about 25 feet, forgoing the square footage lost for what would have been an additional 1 or 2 second floor rooms. They made up for that loss by finishing the attic into a pseudo third floor - but the third floor spans the width/length of the house (mostly) so I ended up with 4k square feet for the price of less than 3k.

So from the moment we saw the house, I thought "living room = reverb chamber and third floor = man cave/studio" which is was a major factor in choosing that house (only been there 3 years) - along with other things wifeypoo wanted.
Yes, you got lucky! In more ways than just the house. I'd also have to add you wife to that list. I love the room! What a great layout to be able to use the whole house for various recording/mixing projects. VERY cool!
Old 10-17-2017, 12:47 PM   #66
karbomusic

I'll admit she is super cool but she will start asking soon when the clean up of the living room will occur. I can't complain since it's had crap of mine down there for a month now!
Old 10-23-2017, 09:03 AM   #67
Judders

Thanks for the IR!
Old 10-23-2017, 07:57 PM   #68
karbomusic

^Anytime! It's not going to win any awards but seems to work OK depending - there might be a 2-5k resonance in there somewhere that needs dipping but need to confirm as I have been moving fast and have not reviewed it very closely.

Next up... Vocoding, I was in a lounge thread and it came up and I'm posting my findings here, since this is as much my own project documentation thread. I have it working nicely with Meldas Vocoder - what I like is I can use any carrier or any modulation source with this setup so I'm going to be trying this out on guitar and other things as the "modulatee" instead of a synth in short order.

I wonder what would happen if I hummed a 3-part harmony of sustained notes, then modulated that with a carrier that was the words... hmmm... As far as the main project, not 'that' far away from mixing, need to track any vocals that didn't survive the jump from scratch tracks to main project (some were keepers) and bells and whistles tracking (like the vocoder) then should be able to focus only on mixing.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:31 AM   #69
morgon

You've got that setup working really admirably Karbo, and yes that vocoder effect sounds excellent as well. Cool project, Ima follow this thread as the record progresses.

Eventually she's gonna want the house back of course, but that setup sure beats rented studio time constraints, cheers.
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:17 AM   #70
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgon View Post
You've got that setup working really admirably Karbo, and yes that vocoder effect sounds excellent as well. Cool project, Ima follow this thread as the record progresses.

Eventually she's gonna want the house back of course, but that setup sure beats rented studio time constraints, cheers.
Just saw this... Yep I've already cleaned up, made an IR before I did so all is well!
Old 11-10-2017, 12:40 PM   #71
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Just saw this... Yep I've already cleaned up, made an IR before I did so all is well!
So, if you're done cleaning up, that means you're done recording? So how soon do we get to hear it?
Old 11-10-2017, 12:51 PM   #72
karbomusic

Quote:
So, if you're done cleaning up, that means you're done recording? So how soon do we get to hear it?
We have just a few more vocals to track. Then any final edits and what I call "bell and whistle" additions but most of those are done.

Then I have to do the final mixing but most of that is done minus automation etc. I'd say we are about 90% done with the project recording/mixing wise. Still have to complete artwork et al and get everything ready for getting some CDs made and online distro. My guess is close to the first of the year but I'd really like to have it out before Christmas but not sure it will happen.

However, I may post here when the mixing is done, not sure which is best yet. We're just five old farts who now have day jobs writing and recording; it's not like this is going to be "supa fresh" for the younger masses, I'd likely call it classic rock with modern stylings FWIW.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:17 PM   #73
Jeffsounds

Quote:
We have just a few more vocals to track. Then any final edits and what I call "bell and whistle" additions but most of those are done.

Then I have to do the final mixing but most of that is done minus automation etc. I'd say we are about 90% done with the project recording/mixing wise. Still have to complete artwork et al and get everything ready for getting some CDs made and online distro. My guess is close to the first of the year but I'd really like to have it out before Christmas but not sure it will happen.

However, I may post here when the mixing is done, not sure which is best yet. We're just five old farts who now have day jobs writing and recording; it's not like this is going to be "supa fresh" for the younger masses, I'd likely call it classic rock with modern stylings FWIW.
I don't think I'm alone in saying that I'd like to hear what you have, no matter what label you put on it. I respect your knowledge and ability so am anxious to hear something new from you. Looking forward to it!
Old 11-27-2017, 05:28 PM   #74
karbomusic

Quote:
I don't think I'm alone in saying that I'd like to hear what you have, no matter what label you put on it.
Careful what you wish for LOL. jk - I suppose it's time to babble a status update...

I'm sure record could be hit once or twice before the mix is complete (if the need arises) but the tracking is mostly officially done at this point (yay). The project is likely 60-80% mixed as I've sort of been improving the rough mixes as I go. Some sections of some songs are down to < .5 dB adjustments and when adjustments that small start becoming noticeable, you know you are close to done; well, for those sections anyway.

I may be crazy but will probably continue with LCR mixing for the entire project. The plan is to fill in the gaps with judicious use of reverb/delay etc. and things like a stereo slapback on a guitar solo or vocal can be sprinkled towards the 10 and 2 o'clock positions and so on. I'm not afraid to put "filler" instruments into the non-LCR holes if needed but there aren't many of those to put there.

To that end this post contains the LCR chain made which helps make that possible. Basically, wherever I pan, the "stereo" reverb or delay is mirror imaged in the field. If panned center then the stereo verb spreads full L/R. It works well enough that if a guitar is hard right, the spread of the verb sounds like it traverses the stereo image instead of just being "over there". There is also the ability to use 2 sends and get a little of both - for example, guitar is hard right with 30% verb far left and 5% verb on the right and so on.

Fingers crossed.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:35 PM   #75
richie43

Quote:
Careful what you wish for LOL. jk - I suppose it's time to babble a status update...

I'm sure record could be hit once or twice before the mix is complete (if the need arises) but the tracking is mostly officially done at this point (yay). The project is likely 60-80% mixed as I've sort of been improving the rough mixes as I go. Some sections of some songs are down to < .5 dB adjustments and when adjustments that small start becoming noticeable, you know you are close to done; well, for those sections anyway.

I may be crazy but will probably continue with LCR mixing for the entire project. The plan is to fill in the gaps with judicious use of reverb/delay etc. and things like a stereo slapback on a guitar solo or vocal can be sprinkled towards the 10 and 2 o'clock positions and so on. I'm not afraid to put "filler" instruments into the non-LCR holes if needed but there aren't many of those to put there.

To that end this post contains the LCR chain made which helps make that possible. Basically, wherever I pan, the "stereo" reverb or delay is mirror imaged in the field. If panned center then the stereo verb spreads full L/R. It works well enough that if a guitar is hard right, the spread of the verb sounds like it traverses the stereo image instead of just being "over there". There is also the ability to use 2 sends and get a little of both - for example, guitar is hard right with 30% verb far left and 5% verb on the right and so on.

Fingers crossed.
Great stuff!
I have a similar chain (no surprise, there...ha) that I have been using for years....this is more elegant, so thanks!
Old 11-27-2017, 06:44 PM   #76
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
Great stuff!
I have a similar chain (no surprise, there...ha) that I have been using for years....this is more elegant, so thanks!
Excellent. Just a reminder that when you replace what is there, place it between the JS plugs then set its pins to look like this...

Sending to 1/2, acts just like it normally would.

Sending to 3/4, mirrors.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:47 PM   #77
richie43

Quote:
Excellent. Just a reminder that when you replace what is there, place it between the JS plugs then set its pins to look like this...

Sending to 1/2, acts just like it normally would.

Sending to 3/4, mirrors.
Yup...I have noticed that even with the right pin changes, some of my reverbs still don't work properly, they stay working like the 1/2 sends.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:49 PM   #78
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
Yup...I have noticed that even with the right pin changes, some of my reverbs still don't work properly, they stay working like the 1/2 sends.
Ah, yes I meant to add that caveat so thank you, that there is the occasional verb/delay that doesn't cooperate nicely with the channel flipping. Most of the ones I care about do except for maybe nebula IIRC, would have check to confirm again.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:34 PM   #79
richie43

Quote:
Ah, yes I meant to add that caveat so thank you, that there is the occasional verb/delay that doesn't cooperate nicely with the channel flipping. Most of the ones I care about do except for maybe nebula IIRC, would have check to confirm again.
Nebula is one that IS working properly for me.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:43 PM   #80
endorka

That LCR reverb chain is genius, what an elegant solution.

A few months ago I built a similar thing. It used 4 reverb instances for stereo, mono left, mono centre and mono right. Stereo on 1/2, left on 3/4, etc. All the reverb parameters were linked, so adjusting the master made the other three the same. It works, but nowhere near as clever as your one!

What it does allow is independence of source pan and reverb pan. So you can have a source on the left sending to mono reverb in the centre, a sound I really like. Now you've got me wondering about how to make it more efficient :-)

Cheers,
Jennifer