Old 04-28-2019, 06:54 PM   #1
pwhitmore
Human being with feelings

Default UR824?

Is anyone using Reaper with the Steinberg UR824 interface? I am having problems with the UR's mixer software overiding the channel pan controls in Reaper. Any suggestions?
pwhitmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:47 PM   #2
dug dog

Hi Pwhitmore:

I'm running a UR44 and might be able to help but I looked at your earlier thread and am a bit confused.

If I understand correctly, you've recorded a stereo file on a single track but want to control the left and right channels of that file independently. Is that right?

If so, then you have to split the stereo track into two separate mono tracks and this can be accomplished by right clicking on the stereo item and choosing "Item processing> Explode multichannel audio or MIDI items to new one channel items". This will create a folder track with 2 distinct mono files representing your left and right channels and you can use the controls on each track to control them independently. It should have nothing to do with the settings on your interface.

If I'm not understanding correctly, then we'll need more details about what you're doing in order to help.

Cheers.

Last edited by dug dog; 04-30-2019 at 05:54 PM.
dug dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 04:29 AM   #3
ronmac

Can you show an example, please? I have a UR824 and can try to duplicate.

Consider that you are dealing with two software mixers, so (depending on routing) you may alter the output by changing controls in either one.
ronmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:13 AM   #4
pwhitmore

Default more info

Thanks for comments; more detail. I am recording two L/R tracks from a stereo microphone as individual tracks in Reaper and then trying to use Reaper’s pan controls to separate them. I was using the Steinberg dspMix as a way to route headphone sends during the recording process and found that I could get pan controls after recording in the dspMix controls, but not in Reaper. My delay in responding was because I was trying to get an answer out of Steinberg support as to whether the dspMix software was storing settings in the hardware unit even when not using the software. They suggested that using the dspMix while running a DAW was not a good idea and likely to lead to compatibility issues, but wanted me to run Cubase to try and reset any controls in the hardware unit. My experience with Cubase and its tutorials was not a pleasant one, so I am going to be doing more tests this weekend and then contacting Steinberg again next week. This has been frustrating enough that I am considering just taking a loss on the 824 and starting over with a different interface. Any insights much appreciated.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:25 AM   #5
cfillion

Which mix or DAW outputs of the UR824 is the master track in REAPER sending audio to?

Are the DAW and MASTER panpots set to center in the corresponding Mix tab(s) in dspMixFX? (These are the only pan controls that may affect DAW output. The others are for direct monitoring.)

Last edited by cfillion; 05-04-2019 at 11:38 AM.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 01:56 PM   #6
pwhitmore

Default More data

I have identified that the source of the pan problem is in the Reaper individual track routing window. If the Master send box is checked, the pan controls don't work. When I unchecked this box and set up a separate output send, the pan controls worked as expected. Next issue is that the list of outputs available for the 824 does not seem to follow what I expect in terms of the actual hardware outputs. In the dspMix software, one can control the headphone and rear panel outputs without confusion, but the list shown in Reaper does not line up with the actual outputs. Another question for Steinberg.
Old 05-04-2019, 06:12 PM   #7
cfillion

Hard to tell what is wrong without seeing your settings...

There are two kinds of outputs channels from the computer to the UR824: four Mix output pairs (L/R) and 8 pairs of outputs labeled "DAW". You can choose which one goes to which line output in the configuration page of dspMixFX.

The "Mix" outputs are controlled in the corresponding Mix tab in dspMixFX. There, the computer's output is mixed with the inputs (direct monitoring). If the panning issue actually comes from the interface's processing, it would be as configured in the corresponding Mix tab (DAW and/or MASTER channel).

Last edited by cfillion; 05-04-2019 at 06:19 PM.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote