Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 06-25-2018, 12:59 PM   #1
Poj
Human being with feelings

Default New here, some questions.

Hi there,

After a long period just reading this great forum it’s now time for my first post. I have to say it’s a great community here, very nice to see all those helpful people :-)

I have been using Reaper for some time and customized it to my own needs. The start was troublesome and I have ditched it more than once. But always going back after a short period in other DAW’s (Logic, Studio One) when I realized I missed so much (most of them being stability and performance).

Now that I have decided Reaper is the only way to go forward for me I would like to solve some of the small issue’s I’m facing. I’m on OSX (10.12.6) with the latest Reaper release.

• Scaling AU & VST plugins. When I try to scale an AU or VST plugin via the righthand corner, the plugin window from Reaper scales and not the plugin itself. It just creates a bigger window. When the mouse button is released and the Reaper plugin window is bigger I can scale the plugin itself nicely via the righthand corner. So the scaling of plugin windows causes two steps for AU and VST, instead of just one drag as normally expected. When a VST3 is loaded the scaling works as expected, just one drag is needed.

• The FX shortcuts introduced in 5.77 only works with VST & VST3 plugins. When used with an AU plugin the shortcut doesn’t do anything.

• Scrolling works great in the arrange and TCP but not in the MCP. Is there a setting I’m not aware of or a custom action / script that enables scrolling in the MCP?

For the first two of my issues a solution could be to use as much as possible VST3 plugins but this causes others issues with my workflow. I use a lot the actions “SWS/S&M: Float next FX (and close others) for selected tracks” & “SWS/S&M: Float previous FX (and close others) for selected tracks”. These only seem to work well if I use AU plugins on a track. As soon as a VST or VST3 is inserted it stops cycling on that plugin. Probably related to that is the focusing of VST & VST3 plugins, I experience a different behavior compared to AU plugins. If for example an AU plugin is opened, I can close this with the escape button or CMD+W, for an VST or VST3 these commands doesn’t work and I just get an error / alert sound from OSX

Hope this all makes a bit sense and these issues can be overcome.

Thank you!
Poj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:36 PM   #2
Poj

Should this topic been raised in the OS X sub forum as most of my issues probably relates to Mac? Anyway, hopefully someone can help.

Thanks.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:09 PM   #3
Poj

No one?
Old 07-05-2018, 12:12 AM   #4
ivansc

Sorry nobody is responding here but it would probably stand a better chance if you re-post in the mac section. Hopefully someone there will help, although your issue with gui scaling for plugins is probably going to be down to what the plugin developer has decided to allow rather than anything you can do in Reaper AFAIK.

P.S. Welcome to the forums! I assume you already checked out the free user guide & watched some of the excellent video tutorials on here at reaper.fm?
Old 07-05-2018, 01:28 AM   #5
G-Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poj View Post
No one?
Sorry, pc here
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:24 AM   #6
FnA

Quote:
• Scrolling works great in the arrange and TCP but not in the MCP. Is there a setting I’m not aware of or a custom action / script that enables scrolling in the MCP?
What do you mean exactly? Keyboard shortcut? Better mousewheel control? Something related to laptop controls?
FnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:43 PM   #7
Poj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Sorry nobody is responding here but it would probably stand a better chance if you re-post in the mac section. Hopefully someone there will help, although your issue with gui scaling for plugins is probably going to be down to what the plugin developer has decided to allow rather than anything you can do in Reaper AFAIK.

P.S. Welcome to the forums! I assume you already checked out the free user guide & watched some of the excellent video tutorials on here at reaper.fm?
Thanks for the warm welcome! Very good plan to repost and yes indeed already watched many video's from Kenny and the Reaper blog. Such great resource to learn the great world of Reaper.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:13 PM   #8
Poj

Quote:
Originally Posted by FnA View Post
What do you mean exactly? Keyboard shortcut? Better mousewheel control? Something related to laptop controls?
Sorry for not being clear, what if find counter-intuitive is that I have to scroll from top to bottom or vice versa instead of from left to right or vice versa to move the mixer view to the left of right. Also scrolling seems not to work when the mouse pointer is over the track FX slots or routing slots and the scrolling itself is not very smooth, goes by several tracks at once (in blocks). The scrolling in the arrange is very nice and smooth.

Lastly many times I move a fader or knob by accident while the mouse pointer is above it when I want to scroll. Can this be changed easily with a setting? I'm using a magic trackpad as mouse device.

Thanks.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:17 PM   #9
FnA

Quote:
...I'm using a magic trackpad as mouse device.
Hopefully someone with one of those can help. I only have a Windows 7 laptop that I can try things on. Two fingers horizontal swipe doesn't work to scroll the mixer or register in the Action List when trying to assign it to an action. Up/down registers as mousewheel.

There's some preferences in Preferences/Editing Behavior/Mouse that you might try.

Google shows a couple threads on the subject, some mention the Magic trackpad. I participated in one about laptop pads. People with different computers had different results it seems.

Quote:
Lastly many times I move a fader or knob by accident while the mouse pointer is above it when I want to scroll. Can this be changed easily with a setting?
Again in Preferences/Editing Behavior/Mouse, there are two "ignore mousewheel..." prefs you might try. It works for the most part with mousewheel. (I reported a somewhat obscure undo point bug that happens when you move the cursor away from the track without passing certain features that trigger the undo point creation (ignore track panel faders). Ignore all faders also prevents mousewheel from working on Reaper fx window parameters.)

Quote:
...Also scrolling seems not to work when the mouse pointer is over the track FX slots or routing slots...
The "ignore" prefs don't work on these knobs. I think you have to just avoid this area when scrolling. You can scroll on the track icon area, but you can't show icons only in the mixer. Ug...

Quote:
...and the scrolling itself is not very smooth, goes by several tracks at once (in blocks).
ReaScript can get and set the leftmost track in the mixer, so it can make "Scroll 3 tracks right" type actions. Currently no special mousewheel actions will work above the MCP, so they have to be used on keyboard shortcuts. If you cant find anything more agreeable than that, I can probably hook you up with something similar.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:30 AM   #10
Poj

Quote:
Originally Posted by FnA View Post
Again in Preferences/Editing Behavior/Mouse, there are two "ignore mousewheel..." prefs you might try. It works for the most part with mousewheel. (I reported a somewhat obscure undo point bug that happens when you move the cursor away from the track without passing certain features that trigger the undo point creation (ignore track panel faders). Ignore all faders also prevents mousewheel from working on Reaper fx window parameters.)

The "ignore" prefs don't work on these knobs. I think you have to just avoid this area when scrolling. You can scroll on the track icon area, but you can't show icons only in the mixer. Ug...
This is great! Didn't notice these options before. Now part of my issues has been resolved. Thank you :-)

For my scrolling issue, I think I have to life with it till the developers do something about it. I saw a very old FR (Horizontal Mixer Scrolling) from 2011 that hopefully someday will be implemented? Cannot vote for it anymore, but just replied to the discussed thread.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:59 PM   #11
FnA

Glad I could help, at least in some way.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:05 PM   #12
Lokasenna

Re: scaling, that's a VST3 feature. VST2 and (AFAIK) AU don't support being stretched (some, like Kontakt, will have their own resizing options).
Old 07-11-2018, 03:40 AM   #13
Poj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
Re: scaling, that's a VST3 feature. VST2 and (AFAIK) AU don't support being stretched (some, like Kontakt, will have their own resizing options).
Thanks Lokasenna, not sure if I understand you fully. I can scale VST2 & AU plugins that support scaling, but in Reaper there are two steps needed to get the result (described in my first post). In other daws I can scale in one step.