Old 10-25-2021, 11:52 AM   #1
musicbynumbers
Human being with feelings

Default v6.38+dev1025 - October 25 2021

v6.38+dev1025 - October 25 2021
  • * Includes feature branch: media item lanes
  • + JSFX/Video Processors/ReaScript-EEL: produce parse error on unknown number suffixes or incomplete hexadecimal strings
  • + JSFX: greater precision for $e and $phi
  • + Media explorer: respect project option to preserve pitch when changing rate in new items when importing media via action with no rate adjustment set
  • + Media explorer: update display after toggling favorite status
  • + Media item lanes: actions to move razor edits up or down respect item lanes
  • + Razor edit: add click-context mouse modifiers to move areas up or down without contents
  • + Razor edits: separate options for moving envelope points with razor edits, moving envelope points with media items
  • + Subprojects: write =START time to rendered file as BWF preferred start position
  • # Media item lanes: action to enclose media items with razor edit respects media item lanes if "move envelope points with media items and razor edits" is disabled
  • # Media item lanes: clean up last fixed lane after deleting items via razor edit
  • # Media item lanes: fix stretching MIDI items in lanes via razor edit
  • # Media item lanes: improve editing razor edit top/bottom edge behavior
  • # Media item lanes: improve razor edit selection behavior with fixed lanes
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
Old 10-25-2021, 12:15 PM   #2
mccrabney

Quote:
+ Razor edits: separate options for moving envelope points with razor edits, moving envelope points with media items
must these be toggle actions? i feel like "leave envelopes untouched" would be so much more appropriately served by a mouse modifier behavior.

keeping track of "move env points with items" already feels like toggling capslock for the Occasional Capital Letter, when something like holding a shift key would be more appropriate.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 12:27 PM   #3
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
must these be toggle actions? i feel like "leave envelopes untouched" would be so much more appropriately served by a mouse modifier behavior.

keeping track of "move env points with items" already feels like toggling capslock for the Occasional Capital Letter, when something like holding a shift key would be more appropriate.
Maybe both?

Also, thanks Devs for adding this!

(and I forgot to say Schwa but thanks for fixing the surround automation bug very quickly, helped a lot here!)
Old 10-25-2021, 12:45 PM   #4
mccrabney

i really like the behavior i'm seeing with "move envelope points with razer edits - off" when the envelopes are displayed in the envelope lane. it's selection based - you get what you draw. the name of the action is a little confusing, because even with this option toggled OFF, you can still use razer edits to move RE-selected AI.

maybe naming the actions "move envelope points with items: marquee" and "move envelope points with items: razor edits," because the "with item" part is still relevant to the RE option.

note: with Move envelope points with razer edits - off, we get different behavior with envelopes shown in media lane vs envelope lane.

when envelopes are in the media lane, the envelopes aren't moved - even though the RE does encapsulate their lane, just as it does at when the envelopes are shown in their own lane below. both REs drawn are effectively the same, but have different results under the same option

Last edited by mccrabney; 10-25-2021 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-25-2021, 01:39 PM   #5
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
v6.38+dev1025 - October 25 2021[*]+ Razor edits: separate options for moving envelope points with razor edits, moving envelope points with media items
Amazing! Thanks a lot Schwa!!

Quote:
v6.38+dev1025 - October 25 2021
[*]# Media item lanes: clean up last fixed lane after deleting items via razor edit
[*]# Media item lanes: fix stretching MIDI items in lanes via razor edit
[*]# Media item lanes: improve editing razor edit top/bottom edge behavior
[*]# Media item lanes: improve razor edit selection behavior with fixed lanes
All fixed, great work!

Something else that i've noticed, remove one area modifier from razor edit is not working with lanes. For example when i select 2 lanes i can't remove one area and select one lane, instead it removes the whole selection.
Vagelis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 01:54 PM   #6
Vagelis

Quote:
v6.38+dev1025 - October 25 2021[*]+ Razor edits: separate options for moving envelope points with razor edits, moving envelope points with media items
About this new feature, when we have move envelope points with razor edits on, would it be possible not to select all the envelope lanes? But also to let us move the envelope on media and envelope lanes separately? Then it would be the best imo and totally WWSIWWG behavior!
Also it could be used with lanes since it's not going to select all lanes when it's on, so less changes with actions i think.
And If one wants to mimic the behavior to select all envelope lanes including the hidden envelopes to simply activate both move envelopes with media items and razor edits.
Would something like this could work?

Anyway i really like this new feature already

Last edited by Vagelis; 10-25-2021 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-25-2021, 02:06 PM   #7
Vagelis

Found one small display bug. When i drag the area from the bottom lane to another, the RE doesn't change size similar to the new size of the lanes, since the one of them has been removed.

Old 10-25-2021, 02:28 PM   #8
ovnis

Quote:
# Media item lanes: action to enclose media items with razor edit respects media item lanes if "move envelope points with media items and razor edits" is disabled
Thx you for this new option!

For more logic and consistency, since with this option disabled, it is possible to handle a media item + envelope with the Razor Edit, I think it would be nice to do the same thing with the " Marquee Select items "(be able to manipulate the selected items and item envelopes) and "move envelope points with media item" disabled. It would really be more WWSIWWG, too.

Actually

Last edited by ovnis; 10-26-2021 at 03:47 AM.
ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 02:34 PM   #9
Tale

Quote:
  • + JSFX: greater precision for $e and $phi
Cool! However, $phi could be even more precise (1.6180339887498948 instead of 1.618033988749894, see also here).
Tale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 02:55 PM   #10
sonictim

+ Subprojects: write =START time to rendered file as BWF preferred start position

Yes! Thank you!
Old 10-25-2021, 06:20 PM   #11
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovnis View Post
" Marquee Select items "(be able to manipulate the selected items and envelopes)
What you mean like if Automation Items were actually Items? That's just crazy talk.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 06:30 PM   #12
ovnis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
What you mean like if Automation Items were actually Items? That's just crazy talk.
I don't understand what you mean.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:09 AM   #13
mccrabney

they are agreeing with your post and gif above.

it's always going to be strange and unexpected that object selection gets superseded by these 2 actions: "move envelope points with items: marquee: OFF" and "move envelope points with items: razer edits: OFF"

setting these actions aside, if there was a way to defer all moving to selected objects only, ie "like normal items," this would be most in line with other REAPER editing behaviors imo. is the object selected by RE or marquee? move it. if not? don't move it. hidden? don't move it, because it's not visibly selected.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:20 AM   #14
mccrabney

above, "move envelope points with items" is off, so i wouldn't expect the envelope points to move if i just clicked/dragged the item they were below: it's not selected, and the relevant action is off, so it wouldn't move.

however, in the gif, i didn't do that - i lassoed all 3 items, the way i would select 3 objects in Photoshop, 3 words in Notepad, or 3 regular items in REAPER. they're all visible selected. the expectation is that they will move as a selection, regardless of "move envelope points with items" being OFF

and yes, this goes for envelopes in the Media Lane, too - the object is inside the selection that was made, and it's still surprising all these years later to not have it move with the group.

this is why AZpercussion's comment from the other day was so valuable:

Quote:
But something like "exclude envelopes from razor area" would be useful if we need select area across tracks, but without envelopes.

Last edited by mccrabney; 10-26-2021 at 05:50 AM.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:21 AM   #15
Skorobagatko

Quote:
setting these actions aside, if there was a way to defer all moving to selected objects only, ie "like normal items," this would be most in line with other REAPER editing behaviors imo. is the object selected by RE or marquee? move it. if not? don't move it. hidden? don't move it, because it's not visibly selected.
this!
Skorobagatko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 06:40 AM   #16
mozart999uk

Quote:
they are agreeing with your post and gif above.

it's always going to be strange and unexpected that object selection gets superseded by these 2 actions: "move envelope points with items: marquee: OFF" and "move envelope points with items: razer edits: OFF"

I do like to be able to move items and have all the automation related to that item move with it - without having to have automation lanes visible . I do this a lot and it would be a pain (for me) to have to bring automation lanes into view and select points or items each time.

Edit: Having re-read a few posts, I'm thinking I may have misunderstood the point being made . Ignore me if so :-)
mozart999uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 07:23 AM   #17
mccrabney

sure, it's important for me to clarify that i don't want my suggestion above to inhibit the movements of hidden envelope in your use case.

i'm imagining a workflow scenario where i'm using both "move env points with" actions OFF, and all AI/item movement is dictated by whether or not the object in question is selected.

much like how REs behave in this build. it's great! whatever is in RE bounds gets moved - edit: we just need a way to RE-select envelopes/AI in the media lane without losing the rest of the behavior described.

Last edited by mccrabney; 10-26-2021 at 08:32 AM.
Old 10-26-2021, 07:58 AM   #18
ovnis

Quote:
much like how REs behave in this build. it's great! whatever is in RE bounds gets moved - unless your envelope is in the media lane.
Yes. It's the good behavior for me. It should work like that for Marquee Select items, too.
Old 10-26-2021, 08:16 AM   #19
DarkStar

Will "Media Item Lanes" do this?

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=120688
Old 10-26-2021, 11:06 AM   #20
Embass

Embass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 11:36 AM   #21
Embass

Old 10-26-2021, 12:24 PM   #22
Embass

Old 10-26-2021, 12:45 PM   #23
Embass

Old 10-26-2021, 01:08 PM   #24
Embass

Old 10-26-2021, 02:06 PM   #25
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Will "Media Item Lanes" do this?

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=120688
Kinda funnily your FR was one of the first things that came in my mind and I mentioned when media item lanes appeared.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....37#post2416237

So, afai gather, yes.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 08:01 AM   #26
Embass