Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 07-29-2019, 07:06 AM   #1
fudgiewhale
Human being with feelings

Default Trouble with sound card after Blackstar amp integrated

Hi Folks
I have been using Reaper for a while on a Windows Vista machine, using a SoundBlaster HD USB sound card. I've never had a bit of trouble using this set-up.

I recently purchased a BlackStar ID Core 10 V2 amp, which allows direct hook-up to PC via a USB cable, and works with a BlackStar program called "Insider". When I connected the amp initially, Reaper saw it right away and I was able to tweak amp settings with the software and record directly to the DAW from the amp (oddly, the input and playback signals both came through the amp, not the speakers attached to my sound card). When I decided to add some tracks with my guitar/synth, Reaper did not see the signal, even though the track was armed for recording. I thought there must have been a conflict with the amp still plugged into the PC, so I unplugged it and still no luck.

I tweaked every input setting that I could find in Reaper, and nothing brought the sound card signal back into the DAW. I uninstalled the BlackStar software, no change. I uninstalled and reinstalled Reaper, but it still doesn't see my sound card's output. Did plugging my amp into a front-mounted USB somehow screw up the way Reaper looks for signal?

I'm sure the sound card is working, because it is outputting sound and my old DAW software (Mixpad) sees the SoundBlaster signal and records it with no issues.

Anyway, I like Reaper and would like to continue using it, but I can't if it won't play nice with my Sound Blaster. Any ideas?
TIA!
Fudgiewhale
fudgiewhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:14 AM   #2
serr

The BlackStar includes an audio interface. Just like your USB and pci card interfaces. ("Audio interface" is the generic term. They connect by USB, firewire, TB, or pci card.)

You probably have <default system devices> selected in Reaper for your audio interface selection which defers to your OS audio. You would need to use your OS control panel to switch between devices in this scenario (and there might be limitations). You can select the audio interface you intend to use directly in Reaper instead. This is a more direct/manual way of connecting. This is the recommended first choice for connecting to and controlling your audio interface.

Or, if you need to use multiple devices together, you make what's called an aggregate device with your OS audio utility (outside of Reaper). Audio MIDI Setup for OSX or ASIO for Windows. Then you select the aggregate device in Reaper instead of one or the other single interface. There are additional caveats explained a few times over in other threads. You need to pick one of the units to be the master sample rate clock and slave the other to it for example. This is separate from the computer data connection (USB/firewire/TB) and usually controlled by an interface's control panel app.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:04 AM   #3
fudgiewhale

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
The BlackStar includes an audio interface. Just like your USB and pci card interfaces. ("Audio interface" is the generic term. They connect by USB, firewire, TB, or pci card.)

You probably have <default system devices> selected in Reaper for your audio interface selection which defers to your OS audio. You would need to use your OS control panel to switch between devices in this scenario (and there might be limitations). You can select the audio interface you intend to use directly in Reaper instead. This is a more direct/manual way of connecting. This is the recommended first choice for connecting to and controlling your audio interface.

Or, if you need to use multiple devices together, you make what's called an aggregate device with your OS audio utility (outside of Reaper). Audio MIDI Setup for OSX or ASIO for Windows. Then you select the aggregate device in Reaper instead of one or the other single interface. There are additional caveats explained a few times over in other threads. You need to pick one of the units to be the master sample rate clock and slave the other to it for example. This is separate from the computer data connection (USB/firewire/TB) and usually controlled by an interface's control panel app.
Thank you for posting so quickly! I actually did check my Windows control panel, and even when I have the sound card selected as both input and output, and the settings in Reaper set to "Windows Mapping" (where it was prior to this event), still a no-go. At this stage, I'd be happy to just use my amp through my mixer instead of direct via USB, so I just need Reaper to work like it did before with my sound card. I thought maybe reinstalling the sound card drivers might help, but since it's working with everything except Reaper I don't think that's the issue.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:53 AM   #4
serr

Go to Reaper Preferences/Audio/Device page. Select either your pci connected interface, your USB connected device, or the USB connected Blackstar. This will let you use the device you selected by itself and doesn't rely on OS audio controls.

If you want to try using multiple devices together, search the forum for "aggregate device" to get started.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:33 PM   #5
fudgiewhale

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Go to Reaper Preferences/Audio/Device page. Select either your pci connected interface, your USB connected device, or the USB connected Blackstar. This will let you use the device you selected by itself and doesn't rely on OS audio controls.

If you want to try using multiple devices together, search the forum for "aggregate device" to get started.
Thank you again for your advice. I will try this again tonight. One thing I didn't mention - during the multiple attempts when I tried to change the audio device settings in Reaper's preferences to my sound card, the "apply" button stayed shaded, I could only click on "okay", but when I went back the setting changes I made had stayed. Seems a little weird, not sure if any of my changes were really applied.