Old 09-17-2017, 01:11 PM   #1
vectrex
Human being with feelings

Default alt+cmd drag behaviour

hi, i'm looking for a tight sampler integration in reaper (dragging samples from timeline into vsti/au)

dragging an audio item with alt+cmd from timeline to TAL sampler and renoise redux doesn't work over here. i read some old threads, seems to be OSX related. too bad as this feature would be awesome. tested with Reaper 5.60c, OSX 10.9.5

next problem: dragging audio items with alt+cmd to reapers media browser also gives strange results... basically i cannot drag an item to the folder i want. the sample appears each time into <Project Directory> BUT only after refreshing the media browser. too many mouseclicks to be convenient.

i know there is an SWS extension script to load an audio item in reapers sampler on a new track. but i prefer external samplers as the reaper one is pretty barebones and not suitable for drums/slicing imho.
vectrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 01:25 PM   #2
Futur8me

I can drag any audio file into Tal Sampler no problem in Reaper on MacOS.., Reaper does non destructive editing of audio files so you won't be able to drag those files straight into Tal Sampler etc until you have rendered them.. thats not MacOS related.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:30 PM   #3
vectrex

thanks, i'm aware reaper has to render the sample. normally alt+cmd (ctrl+alt on windows) does this exactly. for example i can alt+cmd drag an audio item from reaper timeline into a finder window and it wil indeed render the sample and it appears in the finder window. normally this behaviour should work with vst's too (at least on windows). also with dragging from timeline into reaper media window. -edit- and i expected this to work to any folder selected in media window, but the sample only appears in <Project Directory>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futur8me View Post
I can drag any audio file into Tal Sampler no problem in Reaper on MacOS.., Reaper does non destructive editing of audio files so you won't be able to drag those files straight into Tal Sampler etc until you have rendered them.. thats not MacOS related.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:38 PM   #4
vectrex

basically i'm looking for behaviour as close as possible to 'render to new sampler track' function in Logic X. preferably with external VSTI samplers (possibility to drag+render from timeline would be really nice, if it is possible of course)
Old 09-17-2017, 01:45 PM   #5
Futur8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectrex View Post
thanks, i'm aware reaper has to render the sample. normally alt+cmd (ctrl+alt on windows) does this exactly. for example i can alt+cmd drag an audio item from reaper timeline into a finder window and it wil indeed render the sample and it appears in the finder window. normally this behaviour should work with vst's too (at least on windows). also with dragging from timeline into reaper media window. -edit- and i expected this to work to any folder selected in media window, but the sample only appears in <Project Directory>

Sorry yes I did not explain well.., when i alt+cmd drag it renders the file and I then drag that rendered file directly from my project folder and from reapers media explorer into the Tal Sampler.

;

Old 09-17-2017, 01:50 PM   #6
vectrex

thanks Future8me. can you describe your workflow? do you alt+cmd drag the item directly into TAL, or place it elsewhere first to render and drag the rendered result aftwerwards into TAL?

-edit- sorry i'm reading too fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futur8me View Post
Sorry yes I did not explain well.., when i alt+cmd drag it renders the file and I then drag that rendered file directly from my project folder and from reapers media explorer into the Tal Sampler.

;

Old 09-17-2017, 02:00 PM   #7
vectrex

ok i can live with this method, but is there a way to auto refresh the media explorer after rendering the item? now i have to click on another folder, and click back on <Project Folder> to actually see the new rendered sample. thanks!

-edit- close and reopen media explorer also works as a way to refresh, fast enough for me with a shortcut

Last edited by vectrex; 09-17-2017 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:04 AM   #8
Futur8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectrex View Post
ok i can live with this method, but is there a way to auto refresh the media explorer after rendering the item? now i have to click on another folder, and click back on <Project Folder> to actually see the new rendered sample. thanks!

-edit- close and reopen media explorer also works as a way to refresh, fast enough for me with a shortcut
Hi.., yes i just use key shortcuts lots which makes opening and closing everything very quick, I never drag the audio/media files from reapers track arrange area because they will be non destructively edited.