Old 06-17-2017, 05:12 AM   #1
dupont
Human being with feelings

Default Pitch bend automation

Hi,

How to automate pitch bend in Reaper if there is no pitch wheel on the plugin UI ?
I find editing pitch bend in the midi editor lane poor as I can't draw a curve but only bars, which make it difficult to draw a smooth curve by hand.
dupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 05:29 AM   #2
EvilDragon

You can use ReaControlMIDI and automate pitch bend using regular automation envelopes this way.

There are also scripts for smooth curve CC editing by juliansader...
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 11:30 AM   #3
dupont

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
You can use ReaControlMIDI and automate pitch bend using regular automation envelopes this way.

There are also scripts for smooth curve CC editing by juliansader...
Thanks,

reacontrolmidi does the trick. I can't believe I've never used it until now !
dupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:57 AM   #4
ejeffries

these replies so far are a little brief in description for this handy feature:
add reacontrolmidi in fx
reacontrolmidi will be visible in the trim options of your track
select pitch
add points and shape curve
move fx plugin to top of list in fx window if you don't hear it
ejeffries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:30 AM   #5
TimU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejeffries View Post
these replies so far are a little brief in description for this handy feature:
add reacontrolmidi in fx
reacontrolmidi will be visible in the trim options of your track
select pitch
add points and shape curve
move fx plugin to top of list in fx window if you don't hear it
It's the automation window, not "trim options" + you need to enable the control change sliders for them to have any effect
TimU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 03:04 AM   #6
gofer
-blänk-

As we are in the pre-release forum,
Now that MIDI CC and pitch and the like can have curves in the pre versions, you should try doing it with those as well, it‘s working quite well and no set-up is needed (other than tweak your mouse modifiers to your liking)
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:10 AM   #7
StefActivision

this pipeline is complex for nothing, reaper should detect you are recording pitch bend and give you the option to either record as midi signal or as envelope. If I want to record pitch wheel on multiple tracks at the same time I should not have to add a plugin to each of those tracks. time consuming for nothing
StefActivision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:02 AM   #8
ferropop

Also baffled by ReaControlMIDI being the norm rather than the exception.

Every other DAW has native CC editing in both the Arrange View and the MIDI Editor, and they are of course tied together. Click the track, enable the CC lane, done.

Having to use ReaControlMIDI is like having to install and wire a steering wheel every time you want to drive. If you want to add a "secondary steering wheel" in some specific situation at some specific point in the plugin chain, sure I see ReaControlMIDI being useful, but as the default way to edit CC?? Very strange, 14 years in.
ferropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 12:00 PM   #9
gofer
-blänk-

I don’t get it, what forces you to use ReacontrolMIDI? I always use the MIDI editor and think that’s the default way. What am I missing?
Old 04-19-2021, 01:37 PM   #10
mccrabney

^ there are no AI or razor edits in the MIDI editor. AI are easier to propagate across a project than MIDI pitchbend curves in between items.

plus if you use reacontrolMIDI you bypass issues with drawing CCs across item bounds.

it would be very powerful to have the option for MIDI cc and pitchbend content to appear as envelopes in the Arrange screen, as if ReaControlMIDI had been loaded/assigned and all of the relevant data populated to an automation curve.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 03:24 PM   #11
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
^ there are no AI or razor edits in the MIDI editor. AI are easier to propagate across a project than MIDI pitchbend curves in between items.

plus if you use reacontrolMIDI you bypass issues with drawing CCs across item bounds.

it would be very powerful to have the option for MIDI cc and pitchbend content to appear as envelopes in the Arrange screen, as if ReaControlMIDI had been loaded/assigned and all of the relevant data populated to an automation curve.
100%.

It wouldn't break anything, just sync the MIDI CCs in Arrange View exactly as they appear in the MIDI Editor. As they are item based, just chase the CC between items - which is already happening as-is.

Last edited by ferropop; 04-19-2021 at 03:49 PM.
ferropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 04:18 PM   #12
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post

About drawing across item bounds I certainly agree, I would like to see that addressed by changes to the MIDI editor itself.
Of course CC automation lanes in the arrange view would be nice, if they were easily convertible to in-editor CC and back, but nevertheless, I’d prefer the editor to be brought up to snuff. That’s just where this old fart likes to edit his MIDI. Where my notes are.
Especially pitchbend is something that IMO belongs closer to my MIDI notes rather than even farther away - ideally right into the notes area.
Old 04-19-2021, 04:43 PM   #13
gofer
-blänk-

As of razor edits, I hope they find their way into the MIDI editor with time, especially now that they get some neat envelope editing features.