Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 02-17-2019, 07:52 PM   #1
Lampreys77
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI Velocity from EZD2 into Reaper not Same

Good Evening.

I am hoping i am just missing a setting or something here so maybe this is an easy one?

I have created the foundation of a drum track in Easy Drummers 2 Composer / Sequencer and have spent a fair bit of time humanizing and editing velocity's there. I just migrated the midi into reaper to further fine tune some stuff and i noticed that the velocity's are all out to lunch?

For Example, in EZD2 the snare velocity mostly falls in the the 80-85 range for the majority of the song according to the velocity dial within it, but the midi file when dragged or imported into reaper says all the snare notes are maxed out to 127?

Now, the notes themselves to my ears sound the same as the 80-85 velocity notes in EZD? So i can't help but wonder if i have to go into the settings somewhere to retain these properties?

Any words of wisdom? What am i doing wrong?
Lampreys77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:44 AM   #2
DarkStar

Reaper would not change those velocities.

And, is it just the snare notes?

Can you try EZDrummer in another DAW. Or Export the MIDI from EZDrummr, ZIP it up and attach it here so we can have a look at it?
Old 02-19-2019, 11:38 AM   #3
Lampreys77

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Reaper would not change those velocities.

And, is it just the snare notes?

Can you try EZDrummer in another DAW. Or Export the MIDI from EZDrummr, ZIP it up and attach it here so we can have a look at it?
Yes i can for sure upload it tonight! Would be interesting to see what it does on someone else machine or DAW.

it isn't just the snare it looks like all the parts and pieces coming out of EZD2 have odd velocity settings. the frustrating part is that all the sounds sound the same in either reaper or EZD2, So i technically could just move on with the project and ignore it really, the only difference is just the actual number of the velocity in reaper.

I go into a little bit more detail and screen shots here as well: https://therecordingrebels.com/viewt...hp?f=37&t=2240

But i will definitely upload the midi file when i get home. Thanks for the reply.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:19 PM   #4
ivansc

EDIT

Just quickly fired up EZD and shagged out a rough drum part in the sequencer. Would you care to clarify exactly where and how you are editing the velocities of the hits you have sequenced? If you are simply adjusting the velocity wheel for each kit element, you are not editing the individual MIDI hits & neither EZD or reaper will respond to them later. You really are better off editing MIDI by copying and pasting the bits you need into a reaper track and then using the event list section to do your editing unless you fancy doing it by hand in the normal MIDI editing view.

EDIT2

Lazy git that I am, I finally had a read of that other thread you posted on recording rebels and your issue is definitely with thinking tweaking the velocity control will create permanent changes in the velocity values contained in the MIDI you have sequenced. Like I said above, just do it in Reaper & it will stick. The velocities in the included Toontrack MIDI clips are fixed within EZD and only temporarily changeable (i.e. you can`t save multiple changes) within EZD.

Last edited by ivansc; 02-19-2019 at 03:31 PM. Reason: had a little play.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote