Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 02-20-2019, 10:06 AM   #1
Peterglass
Human being with feelings

Default Insert space at the beginning of a project

I'm very new to Reaper. Working on a project which I started right on the downbeat of the song. I've since added some virtual horns and need space before the first note is played in order to insert a keyswitch that controls the articulation.

I marked off a 1/16 note at the beginning of the tune and used the insert space command. OK, no problem. But, when I go to any track containing MIDI something bizarre happens when I try to stretch the track over the new space. The existing MIDI notes get all jumbled or vanish completely.

I'm certain that this must be pilot error, but I can't seem to figure out how to get that extra space at the beginning of the song without screwing up what's already there. Help!
Peterglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:50 AM   #2
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterglass View Post
.. But, when I go to any track containing MIDI something bizarre happens when I try to stretch the track over the new space. The existing MIDI notes get all jumbled or vanish completely.!
How are you doing the 'track stretch' exactly? And can you maybe post a screenshot of the issue?

In general, is the Loop source option unchecked for the MIDI Item (Item > Item Properties )?
Old 02-20-2019, 04:30 PM   #3
Peterglass

Default Before and after images

Solger, Thanks for your reply. Reaper is somewhat arcane, so I'm glad there's an active community willing to help newbies like myself.

I double checked the item properties to ensure Loop Source was not checked. I've attached before and after images. As you can see in this example the MIDI content was shifted right about two measures. The method I tried was to put the cursor on the left edge of the MIDI content until it turned into a double line, left click to grab it and stretch it left to pull the MIDI track flush with the beginning of the track. In so doing, all the content in the track gets messed up.

I've tried fiddling with this a bunch of different ways as I figured this can't really be hard to do, but so far I've just not been able to make it work. I tried to search the forum for an answer, and came across similar problem reports, but none that I found reflected my specific problem. I'm stuck. And as a result, my project is stuck as well. Never again will I start a project on the downbeat of the first beat of the first measure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Before MIDI Track Stretch.JPG (31.8 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg After MIDI Track Stretch.JPG (31.3 KB, 73 views)
Old 02-21-2019, 06:51 AM   #4
Michael AD

Quote:
I can't seem to figure out how to get that extra space at the beginning of the song without screwing up what's already there. Help!
The easiest method is to select everything and slide it right by one measure.
Michael AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:45 AM   #5
Peterglass

Default Insert space at the beginning of a project

Thanks Michael & Solger,
I appreciate that you took time to reply. I inadvertently discovered that after adding the space using the insert command that I could simply highlight any note and slide it into the new space. So doing automatically stretches the MIDI item within the track. So simple, yet so inconspicuous.

I knew all along that there was a simple solution. Reaper has an arcane user interface, reminiscent of a bad UNIX graphical shell. I imagine the benefit is that the GUI does not consume many CPU cycles, but the downside is there's nearly nothing intuitive about it. Even the menus are loaded with unusual and undefined terms like implode and explode - What does that mean in a recording context?

There is a solution, an integrated, context sensitive help system would consume zero cycles during playback and record functions. The downside to this is that it consume Cuckos resources to create it.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:57 PM   #6
solger

Quote:
Even the menus are loaded with unusual and undefined terms like implode and explode - What does that mean in a recording context?
Info about Exploding and Imploding of Items/Takes can be found here: https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#gWoipNbCTUI