Old 02-11-2014, 08:36 PM   #81
RoboPlankton
Human being with feelings

Pleased to report a good download via Dropbox (first alphabetically ).

Thanks very much! Now for the fun part............
Old 02-11-2014, 09:51 PM   #82
RoboPlankton

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
Which version of the js sequencer baby (something like that) do you use. I have the newest version, but when I loaded the track template you provided, it said that the plugin was missing. So I loaded the version I have, but it still does not work. Maybe I need specific settings on the JS plug....?
I had the same issue, and noticed it was looking for 'sequencer blah blah jnif' and NOT 'sequencer blah blah jnif_v039'. I renamed it without anything after jnif and it loaded okay.

Time to get the latest version of jnif's baby..........

Sounding good!

Last edited by RoboPlankton; 02-11-2014 at 10:03 PM.
RoboPlankton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:25 PM   #83
suleiman

I always rename any new update to remove the version number and overwrite tge previous one. Maintains backward compatibility which is crucial as i use it in almost every other project now.

Salamat
suleiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:29 PM   #84
richie43

I dragged some premade midi loops in and it does indeed work. But what is the sequencer baby plugin for in this setup? I bypassed it and the midi data still "played" the samples with just the other 2 plugins you have in the chain. How and when is the sequencer baby plugin needed?
Old 02-11-2014, 11:47 PM   #85
suleiman

Quote:
I dragged some premade midi loops in and it does indeed work. But what is the sequencer baby plugin for in this setup? I bypassed it and the midi data still "played" the samples with just the other 2 plugins you have in the chain. How and when is the sequencer baby plugin needed?
Since i use it all the time now for demoing drumkits / samples and sketching out groove ideas, i thought the others would find it useful too.

For eg # this song , which has pretty involved grooves in parts - the rock drums ( not the percussion ) were entirely made / programmed with around 10 instances of jnif seq ( one for each part : intro , verse , bridge etc ).
It was driving a mutiout tx16wx kit i set up ( using some amazing samples from drumgizmo ).

Each instance of jnif seq starts at stops at the appropriate parts. Great and fast way to build a song.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/..._Oppressor.mp3

Salamat
Old 02-12-2014, 12:04 AM   #86
suleiman

Quote:
Since i use it all the time now for demoing drumkits / samples and sketching out groove ideas, i thought the others would find it useful too.

For eg # this song , which has pretty involved grooves in parts - the rock drums ( not the percussion ) were entirely made / programmed with around 10 instances of jnif seq ( one for each part : intro , verse , bridge etc ).
It was driving a mutiout tx16wx kit i set up ( using some amazing samples from drumgizmo ).

Each instance of jnif seq starts at stops at the appropriate parts. Great and fast way to build a song.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/..._Oppressor.mp3

Salamat
Old 02-12-2014, 03:08 AM   #87
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithULTD View Post
Correct. The Rim is a side-stick and Rim Shot is the head AND rim at the same time. The rim shot is great for a more in your face accent.
Good to see you on this forum, Riley. I have a question for you - is there any particular (technical) reason why 10" and 12" toms don't have MHP, MLP and VLP? Or was it the case of just not having time to record them?

Also, what is the difference between "semi open" and "half open" for hihats? Last time I learned English, "semi" and "half" were the same thing

EDIT: For some bizarre reason, the ordering of files in Kick>HP is not good. I had to rename all files from scratch so that all velocities are finally ordered from 01 to 16...

Last edited by EvilDragon; 02-12-2014 at 03:29 AM.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:28 AM   #88
suleiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Good to see you on this forum, Riley. I have a question for you - is there any particular (technical) reason why 10" and 12" toms don't have MHP, MLP and VLP? Or was it the case of just not having time to record them?

Also, what is the difference between "semi open" and "half open" for hihats? Last time I learned English, "semi" and "half" were the same thing

EDIT: For some bizarre reason, the ordering of files in Kick>HP is not good. I had to rename all files from scratch so that all velocities are finally ordered from 01 to 16...
So u r on the case

This is a good time to ask you :

Cant you find some way to share a free mapped instrument that does not involve me putting hundreds of dollars in NI's pocket. Dont you think if you are putting in so much effort into something it should go beyond the exclusive Kontakt klub ?

Would it be too much to expect sfz maybe ? Or tx16wx ?

Infact, you know what , im gonna actually map the whole thing in tx16wx for everyone. It may take me 2 months but i will do it.

Salamat
Old 02-12-2014, 04:35 AM   #89
suleiman

Heres some sfz for the mid tuned kit :

http://wikisend.com/download/310390/samplepack.zip

Courtesy of awesome dude jeff over at :

http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic....4839a&start=15

Salamat

Last edited by suleiman; 02-12-2014 at 05:40 AM.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:41 AM   #90
EvilDragon

Didn't somebody do sfz already?

I plan on doing this for Kontakt users... since that's my modus operandi. NHF for everybody else using other samplers.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:37 AM   #91
suleiman

Quote:
Didn't somebody do sfz already?

I plan on doing this for Kontakt users... since that's my modus operandi. NHF for everybody else using other samplers.
Dont worry it was the frustration talking

All those freebies in a 15 min demo

Salamat
Old 02-12-2014, 06:47 AM   #92
EvilDragon

At some point you will just buy Kontakt and be happy
Old 02-12-2014, 11:41 AM   #93
stratotak

So I messed around mapping it in Kontakt. A very basic mapping nothing fancy. Instrument each for kick,snare,hats,toms.Cymbals.I left it at default stereo out. I mapped the drums to GM mapping. Its a basic kit no audio processing just the way the samples sounded.
Threw a midi loop on there and this is what it sounds like.

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/untit...kOSEUAEwcwhAiQ

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8pz4aq9zwx...asic%20kit.nkm

Last edited by stratotak; 02-12-2014 at 11:54 AM.
stratotak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:48 AM   #94
RoboPlankton

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratotak View Post
So I messed around mapping it in Kontakt. A very basic mapping nothing fancy. Instrument each for kick,snare,hats,toms.Cymbals.I left it at default stereo out. I mapped the drums to GM mapping. Its a basic kit no audio processing just the way the samples sounded.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8pz4aq9zwx...asic%20kit.nkm
Wow!!

This forum is the knees of the bee!!!
Old 02-12-2014, 12:24 PM   #95
SmithULTD

The reason some tunings are missing is because they didn't sound quite right. The drummer didn't feel like they were good enough to use.

If you guys can get a full kit made for kontakt and sfz, I'll put them up on the site as well and give you credit. I'll be making one for Hydrogen (if my old laptop can handle the stress) not that anyone here makes music on Linux.
SmithULTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:32 PM   #96
EvilDragon

So are they recorded but not included in the pack, or were they not recorded at all?

I think even "not good enough" samples can be definitely used for SOMETHING good. (And, personally, I like consistency...)
Old 02-12-2014, 12:44 PM   #97
cerendir

Quote:
Originally Posted by suleiman View Post
Heres some sfz for the mid tuned kit :

http://wikisend.com/download/310390/samplepack.zip

Courtesy of awesome dude jeff over at :

http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic....4839a&start=15
That wikisend URL links to a jpg image... ?
Old 02-12-2014, 01:29 PM   #98
jackacid

Quote:
For some bizarre reason, the ordering of files in Kick>HP is not good. I had to rename all files from scratch so that all velocities are finally ordered from 01 to 16...
The 22x18-Kick-HP-v10 and 22x18-Kick-HP-v11 files should be renamed by replacing "18" with "16".
jackacid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:45 PM   #99
EvilDragon

Ah, didn't even notice that one! So some were named 22x18, some were 22x16.

I'm still waiting for an explanation in difference between "semi open" and "half open"

Last edited by EvilDragon; 02-12-2014 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:16 PM   #100
EvilDragon

Checking out the list, I'm noticing some things that are not quite consistent with toms:

* on the site/blog, it is listed that 10x8 tom has only head and rimshot articulations for all 4 available tunings, but HP also has a rim hit along with rim shot

* also for 12x8 tom, listed are four articulations for all four available tunings: head center, head edge, rim and rimshot. However, only VHP has those. HP misses rim, MP has only head (no edge/center) and rim, and LP has only head (no edge/center) and rimshot. Veeery inconsistent...

I will donate, but it would be nice to have a 100% consistent kit in vol 2 - meaning that all kitpieces have the same amount of tunings, and same number of articulations per tuning. Seriously, why not have cross stick, head center, head edge, rim and rimshot for all toms at all tunings?

EDIT: There are also sample naming inconsistencies. For example, Snare MLP OSn Rim and Rim Shot have the same tag in their sample filenames (Rm), Rim Shot needs to be RS! Snare VLP LSn Cross Stick and Head Center have the same tag in their sample filenames (CS), Head Center needs to be HdC! Floor Tom MLP Head Edge and Head Center have the same tag (HdC), Head Edge should be HdE!

Also it seems that 8x8 Tom MP Head sample with v04 velocity is slightly misnamed (missing a dash and a zero is instead of another dash).

EDIT #2: Floor tom MP Rim samples are not named according to your naming scheme and also seems they're unprocessed (not normalized).

Last edited by EvilDragon; 02-12-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:04 PM   #101
hamish

Now I could just click 'subscribe' to follow this thread, but I feel compelled to offer a heart-felt 'thanks' to everyone who contributed to creating another classic REAPER forum thread.

Mysterious drum sounds left in a brown paper bag in a remote corner of the internet. Who do they belong to!? What should we do with them!? Five stars people!!
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:33 PM   #102
SmithULTD

Quote:
Checking out the list, I'm noticing some things that are not quite consistent with toms:

* on the site/blog, it is listed that 10x8 tom has only head and rimshot articulations for all 4 available tunings, but HP also has a rim hit along with rim shot

* also for 12x8 tom, listed are four articulations for all four available tunings: head center, head edge, rim and rimshot. However, only VHP has those. HP misses rim, MP has only head (no edge/center) and rim, and LP has only head (no edge/center) and rimshot. Veeery inconsistent...

I will donate, but it would be nice to have a 100% consistent kit in vol 2 - meaning that all kitpieces have the same amount of tunings, and same number of articulations per tuning. Seriously, why not have cross stick, head center, head edge, rim and rimshot for all toms at all tunings?

EDIT: There are also sample naming inconsistencies. For example, Snare MLP OSn Rim and Rim Shot have the same tag in their sample filenames (Rm), Rim Shot needs to be RS! Snare VLP LSn Cross Stick and Head Center have the same tag in their sample filenames (CS), Head Center needs to be HdC! Floor Tom MLP Head Edge and Head Center have the same tag (HdC), Head Edge should be HdE!

Also it seems that 8x8 Tom MP Head sample with v04 velocity is slightly misnamed (missing a dash and a zero is instead of another dash).

EDIT #2: Floor tom MP Rim samples are not named according to your naming scheme and also seems they're unprocessed (not normalized).
Yeah. There's a lot that could be done better. Doing this by myself over the period of several months lead to some issues. In fact, I had to start over at one point. VA will be better named, recirded, have more articulations (chokes) and more instruments.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:36 PM   #103
SmithULTD

Quote:

I'm still waiting for an explanation in difference between "semi open" and "half open"
I believe I have it set with semi open as more open than half. I will double check when I get home. I did the hi hat about a year ago.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:37 PM   #104
SmithULTD

Quote:
So are they recorded but not included in the pack, or were they not recorded at all?

I think even "not good enough" samples can be definitely used for SOMETHING good. (And, personally, I like consistency...)
We recorded some but didn't like what we got so we didn't finish.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:43 PM   #105
EvilDragon

Quote:
We recorded some but didn't like what we got so we didn't finish.
Bummer

Well - too bad that consistency suffered because of that. When I do the mapping in Kontakt I'll use empty groups to space out hits/tunings that are missing - will be easier for scripting side of things, and if you ever decide to rerecord the same kit to fill the stuff that's missing (is that even a possibility?!), it would be easy to drop the samples in the instrument and everything will just work...

In any case - thanks for your presence here and replies. It is much appreciated.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:15 PM   #106
SmithULTD

Quote:
That's what working on this for 8 hours straight will do to you. haha.

Plans for Volume 2:

The tunings will be pitched (C, rather than VLP)
Cymbals will have chokes
Snare and Toms will have a top mic and a bottom mic
Kick will have an outside mice and an inside mic. Both will have a felt beater and plastic beater.
We will also have information on what make the instruments are as well as the mics.
They will be recorded in a better quality space.

Don't expect anything too soon.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:18 PM   #107
SmithULTD

Quote:
Bummer

Well - too bad that consistency suffered because of that. When I do the mapping in Kontakt I'll use empty groups to space out hits/tunings that are missing - will be easier for scripting side of things, and if you ever decide to rerecord the same kit to fill the stuff that's missing (is that even a possibility?!), it would be easy to drop the samples in the instrument and everything will just work...

In any case - thanks for your presence here and replies. It is much appreciated.
Well, the idea was that people could use each tuning separately. So we just did what sounded well. For instance, you could use an LP kick, a VLP snare, MP 8x8, LP 8x8, etc. The intention was to provide people a way to build more unique kits from the ground up, rather than finding something that's mostly right. You can't understand how many times I find a great kit with a weak kick or snare. Or great kicks and snare but barely anything else.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:13 PM   #108
RoboPlankton

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish View Post
Now I could just click 'subscribe' to follow this thread, but I feel compelled to offer a heart-felt 'thanks' to everyone who contributed to creating another classic REAPER forum thread.

Mysterious drum sounds left in a brown paper bag in a remote corner of the internet. Who do they belong to!? What should we do with them!? Five stars people!!
Just in case anyone's missed this, in bold.

Magnificent!

Old 02-12-2014, 08:15 PM   #109
suleiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerendir View Post
That wikisend URL links to a jpg image... ?
Sorry about that.
Note to self : check links before posting.

I will check out as to where is the actual link.

Salamat
Old 02-13-2014, 02:43 AM   #110
EvilDragon

Quote:
Well, the idea was that people could use each tuning separately. So we just did what sounded well. For instance, you could use an LP kick, a VLP snare, MP 8x8, LP 8x8, etc. The intention was to provide people a way to build more unique kits from the ground up, rather than finding something that's mostly right. You can't understand how many times I find a great kit with a weak kick or snare. Or great kicks and snare but barely anything else.
I can understand that. But here's the problem: 12" tom is the most inconsistent, because it's really missing various articulations depending on the tuning of the drum, and that's making things like mapping it out in Kontakt and doing a script for it extremely tedious... VHP has 4 artics (HdC, HdE, Rm, RS), HP is missing Rm, MP is missing RS and HdE (I assume Hd is the same as HdC!), and LP is missing RS and HdE! So this is extremely, extremely inconsistent, which ends up in the user picking a tuning, but losing some articulations which he will definitely expect to sound when he presses the key...

So if at least some of these were sampled, it would be a good idea to include them just to make things work across the board. For example, I reckon for toms it would suffice just to be able to have HdC, HdE and RS across the board. CS might be a bonus on the floor tom (but that should also be possible to hit on a regular tom, no?). But worst case scenario, having just HdC and RS across the board for ALL four toms, and having exactly the same amount of tunings on all four of them, that would make my day definitely
Old 02-13-2014, 03:05 AM   #111
suleiman

I know you were addressing Smith, but thanks ED on the heads up as to what is missing. It will help me in my mapping excercise.

Salamat
Old 02-13-2014, 03:18 AM   #112
EvilDragon

I made a list of what's missing so it's easy to check. Thankfully, cymbals are all very consistently done.

Here's the spreadsheet: LINK!

Incidentally this is exactly the same way I'm mapping this kit in Kontakt (including empty groups for things that are missing).
Old 02-13-2014, 04:44 AM   #113
suleiman

And what are you doing for round robin ?
I used 8 as rr 1, and 8 as rr 2 out of the 16 vel hits in that basic track template i shared. Its a short cut, but is good for quick work.

Now I am doing a massive template and would be obliged for any alternate suggestion. If i take the closest pitches ( like HP and VHP ) it sounds too diff to work as rr.

Salamat
Old 02-13-2014, 04:46 AM   #114
EvilDragon

No RR, I'm using up all 16 velocities. Perhaps I'll add a volume/tuning randomizing script.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:47 AM   #115
suleiman

Quote:
I made a list of what's missing so it's easy to check. Thankfully, cymbals are all very consistently done.

Here's the spreadsheet: LINK!

Incidentally this is exactly the same way I'm mapping this kit in Kontakt (including empty groups for things that are missing).
I was doing exactly that in excel.

Thank you again

Salamat
Old 02-13-2014, 07:40 AM   #116
EvilDragon

Now, mapping hihat and cymbals...

I wonder if I should follow the GM drum map standard, or better figure out a special mapping for this kit... For example, in GM F#1, G#1 and A#1 are closed/pedal/open hat, but I would exchange this by having bell/bow/edge hihat on these three keys, and then you would use a CC to sweep the openness of the hats. Foot splash and foot choke would be an octave lower (F#0, G#0).

Similarly, each cymbal has three hits (bell/bow/edge), but in GM there's only six keys for cymbals (2 crashes, 2 rides, ride bell, splash, china, all edge hits I suspect). I'd totally take the whole C2 octave just for cymbals. Another possibility is using the GM keys for these, but then also using CCs for each cymbal to determine between bell/bow/edge hits).

I'm leaning more towards breaking away from GM standard for this kit. Current mapping is:

F-1 - tom 4 (floor) cross stick
(G-1, A-1, B-1 reserved for tom 3/2/1 cross stick)
D0 - snare rim
E0 - snare rim shot
F0 - tom 4 head edge
G0 - tom 3 head edge
(A0, B0 reserved for tom 2/1 head edge)
C1 - kick
C#1 - snare cross stick
D1 - snare center
E1 - snare edge
F1 - tom 4 head center
G1 - tom 3 head center
A1 - tom 2 head center
B1 - tom 1 head center
F3 - tom 4 rim
G3 - tom 3 rim
A3 - tom 2 rim
B3 - tom 1 rim
F4 - tom 4 rim shot
G4 - tom 3 rim shot
A4 - tom 2 rim shot
B4 - tom 1 rim shot

Also, I'm doing the script in such way that you will only be able to select either 13" or 18" hats (not both at the same time), and only one ride between 13", 20" and 24". Makes things much easier regarding the drum map... If anyone is against this, speak now or forever be silent.

Last edited by EvilDragon; 02-13-2014 at 07:45 AM.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:06 AM   #117
LugNut

Hi,

+1000 to what Hamish said. Thx to Smith and Suli and ED and Robo....only here.^^

As far as the note mapping ED, the roland edrum set of notes may work well...i will look for a doc....
And thx again to all involved. What a big freakin job it must have been to get this sample set out.....big time kudos Riley!!!And i havent even heard them yet!

Guido

EDIT Sorry..got the docs...but on second thought,i guess most ppl would use these with a midi keyboard, so some sort of two handed mapping might be more suitable?

Last edited by LugNut; 02-13-2014 at 09:29 AM.
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:36 AM   #118
LugNut

Quote:

Also, I'm doing the script in such way that you will only be able to select either 13" or 18" hats (not both at the same time), and only one ride between 13", 20" and 24".
Hi,

Sorry agin,

but that s gotta be a typo? Or some kinda hybrid modded cymbal? been playing drums for over 40 years and ive never seen an 18inch Hi hat. Or a 13 ride, but to ride any cymbal ,as in a playing technique, yes. What gives..have i been that sheltered?^^

Thx for all u do tho ED...Reaper and her users, have benefited much from ur inputs.

Guido
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:49 AM   #119
EvilDragon

First two results when Google searching 18" hats:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNjx7XcN6bI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5fAVF7UKHU

So it's basically using two crashes as hihats.

Regarding 13" ride, Google gives only the mesh ride cymbal for V-Drums, but it does say that some guys cut their crashes to 13" and mentioning it's a "good ride".

http://www.drumchat.com/showpost.php...72&postcount=6
Old 02-13-2014, 01:35 PM   #120
SmithULTD

This started as a personal project for hydrogen, in which I don't use the piano roll. I have no idea what the conventions are in mapping to notes. And that's the reason consistency wasn't an issue for me. I don't swap out kits. Part of why this one is so raw. Use one kit and procrastination it differently to create a different sound. Expanded it by having different pitches.