Old 06-09-2019, 10:14 PM   #1
Mara_Lea
Human being with feelings

Default REAPER MAKES MY PC SLOW. HELP!

Hi! It's me again.
After I could solve the problem with the Midi Editor (restored the .ini file), now the problem got worse.
It's not only the midi editor. All the DAW is slow as hell. When I right-click anywhere, get a NOT RESPONDING for several seconds. Not only that, keeping Reaper open makes all my PC slow. After close it, everything backs to normal.
I can't work like this.

Just watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LejiYP-7ls

I tried reinstalling, but is useless. All is slow.
If you know how to fix it, please, PLEASE, make me know.
I have a lot, A LOT of projects that I can't continue 'cause of this.
Please, help!
Mara_Lea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 11:40 PM   #2
JamesPeters

Why are you using 2 separate devices for input and output of audio? That could be your problem.

You're certainly not going to be able to get low-latency audio with that setup either; you'd want to use WASAPI or ASIO drivers.

Try just using one device such as the onboard audio (Realtek) for both input and output, and selecting WASAPI, then you can lower the buffer size to something reasonable too (such as 3 or 4 buffers of 128 samples) which would drop the latency considerably.

I'm guessing this is a laptop computer based on how the onboard audio output is described ("speakers"). If so (and even if it's not a laptop, but just the default settings of a new desktop PC) you might need to change your Windows power profile as well. (If the input device is a USB mic for instance, your laptop might be "putting the USB to sleep" and causing that issue.) But I think the main thing is that your audio setup isn't working correctly due to using separate devices for input and output. Check this out though:

https://www.windowslatest.com/2018/0...in-windows-10/

If you can't change your power setting normally, maybe that will work. I don't use Windows anymore (after Windows 7) so I can't give you an example from my own computer. But I found that with a quick Google search.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 06-09-2019 at 11:45 PM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:54 PM   #3
Mara_Lea

I'm using 2 audio devices 'cause I have no audio interface, so, since I have an USB mic, I use Voicemeeter to control Volume an EQ for input audio on Reaper. And I'm usig both of Virtual channels of Voicemeeter for Skype/Discord and Pretzel Rocks for my streamings (independent channels). So I let the Speakers (default audio device) as output on Reaper. I have all my inputs and outputs controled on Voicemeeter, and I don't want that the System Sounds depends on Voicemeeter. Sounds a little bit complicated than actually is. But I've working like this since last year.

I never had this problem with my old PC (i3 3rd gen, 8gb ram, Win7). But I started to get issues with my new PC (Ryzen 7 1700x, 16gb, Win10). I never had laptops 'cause I don't like them.
Actually, I'd been working relativily well with Reaper recently (mostly recording and mixing voice and instrumental tracks for simple covers), but when I started with midi stuff the problem appeared. I solved it, aparently, but after that, the thing turned rare.

So, I don't know what can be happening. I'll try moving the device stuff, but don't know if that is the problem. Thanks for replying.
Mara_Lea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:13 PM   #4
JamesPeters

You're describing an unusual setup which may have previously worked ok, but it's not the kind of thing you should've expected would continue to work ok "if you so much as sneezed". Using different devices for input/output can be problematic. Add another layer to that (whatever that Voicemeeter software for the USB mic as the input), while you're using the "direct" driver for the output...I can see potential problems being likely. All it took was one thing to change. You switched PCs and presumably have a different setup in terms of the USB ports themselves (different drivers for them, different mainboard), and are probably using different onboard audio, and probably have different driver and software versions.

Check out what I said about your Windows power profile. You can't let your USB "go to sleep".

Another thing to check: what USB port are you using. If your mic is USB 2 and you're using a USB 3 port, that might be a problem. Try other USB ports. If you're using a USB hub for the mic: don't. That could be a problem too.

As for Voicemeeter, you might want to find a different way of getting your audio devices working and routed (if Voicemeeter is potentially causing a problem). I don't know much about this though since I never did anything quite like what you're doing (and now if I want to, I'd just use JACK to rout everything in Linux). For that matter you might want to see if the Windows version of JACK will work for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzd7naKzRgw
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote