Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 10-28-2019, 08:28 AM   #1
_Stevie_
Human being with feelings

Default Opening MIDI editor gets constantly slower (GDI objects raising)

I've already mentioned that issue in a recent pre thread.

I might literally be the only one having this issue. But I hope someone can chime in and give some advise on how to fix this.

Symptoms:
The longer my Windows 10 machine runs, the slower the opening of the MIDI editor gets.
In worst cases, it takes up to 3 seconds for the MIDI editor to appear.
Furthermore, drawing MIDI CC via scripts is ultra sluggish.

How does it happen?
I turn on my machine, start Reaper and work: open several projects, open the MIDI editor countless times, edit notes, etc...
Scripts don't seem responsible for this issue. I have tried a (clean) portable install and get the same results. The longer Reaper is running, the more severe the issue shows. To me it looks like that doing MIDI work will trigger that behavior over time.

What remedies the issue?
You would think that restarting Reaper would solve it. But it doesn't. Even worse, once Reaper has gotten into the state of sluggishness, it will also affect other installations (e.g. portable installation). Only a reboot will reset Reaper's behavior. I shall also point out: other parts of Reaper (or even other Applications) don't seem affected, it's only the MIDI editor.

What could cause this?
In the pre thread, Justin pointed out to check for the GDI objects. And apparently that's the culprit. The GDI objects raise constantly over time. I got to the point of around 679 GDI objects, whereas they were at around 260, when I started Reaper. As stated above, opening and closing the MIDI editor, editing notes, etc... will increase the GDI objects.

Here some videos about the issue:

My normal Reaper installation:
http://nextcloud.stephanroemer.net/i...T5HgkmmYMcZtSs

Portable install:
https://nextcloud.stephanroemer.net/...NwEqiLJo6rTNqp

Any help appreciated!

Last edited by _Stevie_; 10-29-2019 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Link fixed
_Stevie_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 12:05 PM   #2
schwa
Administrator

That first video appears to be password protected.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 12:23 PM   #3
Justin
Administrator

Hmm GDI objects creeping up to 679 (a relatively small number) is not likely to be the issue.

Is it possible for you to make a portable install, and demonstrate the slowdown starting from a freshly booted system, using a project which you can provide? E.g. so we can try to follow the exact steps in hopes of being able to duplicate?

Also: do you use antivirus or antimalware software? Have you tried disabling it?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 05:35 PM   #4
_Stevie_

Thanks for chiming in guys!

@schwa, sorry, link is fixed now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Hmm GDI objects creeping up to 679 (a relatively small number) is not likely to be the issue.

Is it possible for you to make a portable install, and demonstrate the slowdown starting from a freshly booted system, using a project which you can provide? E.g. so we can try to follow the exact steps in hopes of being able to duplicate?

Also: do you use antivirus or antimalware software? Have you tried disabling it?
Oh okay, good to know concerning the GDI objects.

Yes, can certainly do that! Will take care of that!

As for the AntiVirus: I have Defender running in the background, but I excluded all my sample drives and the Reaper process. Turning it off didn't show an improvement.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:57 AM   #5
_Stevie_

Okay guys, sorry for the delay. Had to get some work done before I could try this.

So, I rebooted my computer, launched a (clean) Reaper portable install and just let it run with a project open, while I was gone. Now that I returned (after 4 hours), opening the MIDI editor takes 2 seconds. Apparently no user action is necessary to trigger that behavior. I could make a video, but it would be 4 hours long and basically just showing the screen

I'll send you the project via mail.