Old 04-21-2021, 04:52 PM   #1
nstarz24
Human being with feelings

Default Noise problem

Hello,

Reaper is recording a strange noise when I send a normal electric guitar signal directly into my Tascam US 16x08 interface. There is also no signal sent to the main headphone out. I can't figure out the problem.

Here is a link to the noise:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4c0ktm1wqe...0Test.mp3?dl=0

When I record through my laptop mic, I get a normal recording that's not noise. It's the actual sounds I made. Which leads me to believe there is some kind of reaper audio setting that changed the way the signal is interpreted through an interface.

I tried replacing the old Tascam US 16x08 interface with a new one (same model) but that did not change the issue.

Last edited by nstarz24; 04-21-2021 at 07:48 PM.
nstarz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 04:12 AM   #2
Allybye

Simple things first...

The noise/distortions:
It sounds a bit like the analogue signal is seriously overloading part of the circuitry i.e. the fundamentals and harmonics are seriously clipped as it sounds more like square waves. Cannot be sure though and it might be another probkem altogether!

You are plugging your guitar into line inputs (9 or 10) switched to instrument and not mic inputs or inputs switched to line and with gain control at minimum?

If so perhaps you could describe in more detail your set up and setting in Reaper?

As you say recording via laptop mic (presumably with guitar played through an amp/speaker) it should not be a powered guitar with a duff battery.

You are not plugging an amp output directly into the Tascam are you?
Allybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 06:48 AM   #3
nstarz24

Yes I am plugging my electric guitar directly in the interface with an instrument cable into inputs 9 and 10 while switched to "instrument." There is no amp signal being sent into the interface either.

Gain is set on low so that there was no clipping as well. I "normalized" the noise to give it some volume.

I should mention that I have also created the same noise with a mic and xlr cable going into input 1.
Old 04-22-2021, 06:57 AM   #4
CDS

If you do something reaLly simple plug in audio out from something into your tascam, does it work properly?
CDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 02:28 PM   #5
Allybye

"If so perhaps you could describe in more detail your set up and setting in Reaper?"

Perhaps we need to address those aspects then?

Please do describe in detail your system.

Pc model and cpu, ram
Operating system
Tascam drivers (if appropriate) installed.
Are you using the Tascam setting panel?
If Windows what is your buffer setting
What cpu loading is Reaper reporting during recording
What audio interface device settings do you have in Reaper

If you import a known good media audio file into a Reaper project and play it how does that sound?

I am not a Reaper expert by any means but forum members will find these aspects (maybe more or less) important to take the question further.

From what you write it seems that there should not be any analogue clipping but you can get similar distortion if digital bits or words are dropped. For example a struggling computer can make a "noise) if a buffer is too small usually just clicks as parts are missed but can sound chopped if lots of the data is missed.

You have normalised to make the noise more noticeable. What level is it prior to normalisation?

More, when you used the alternative interface did you also change the power supply unit?

It might seem that non of these questions help at all but for me there are too many variables and unknowns to help at this stage. Someone else maybe a user of that interface and/or have better ideas!
Old 04-22-2021, 06:49 PM   #6
nstarz24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDS View Post
If you do something reaLly simple plug in audio out from something into your tascam, does it work properly?
Yeah I tried this and it was still giving me the same problem.
Old 04-22-2021, 09:44 PM   #7
nstarz24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allybye View Post
"If so perhaps you could describe in more detail your set up and setting in Reaper?"

Perhaps we need to address those aspects then?

Please do describe in detail your system.

Pc model and cpu, ram
Operating system
Tascam drivers (if appropriate) installed.
Are you using the Tascam setting panel?
If Windows what is your buffer setting
What cpu loading is Reaper reporting during recording
What audio interface device settings do you have in Reaper

If you import a known good media audio file into a Reaper project and play it how does that sound?

I am not a Reaper expert by any means but forum members will find these aspects (maybe more or less) important to take the question further.

From what you write it seems that there should not be any analogue clipping but you can get similar distortion if digital bits or words are dropped. For example a struggling computer can make a "noise) if a buffer is too small usually just clicks as parts are missed but can sound chopped if lots of the data is missed.

You have normalised to make the noise more noticeable. What level is it prior to normalisation?

More, when you used the alternative interface did you also change the power supply unit?

It might seem that non of these questions help at all but for me there are too many variables and unknowns to help at this stage. Someone else maybe a user of that interface and/or have better ideas!
System Detail:

Macbook Pro
macOS Mojave version 10.14.16
Processor: 2.4 GHz
Memory: 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Performance meter says CPU 4.6-4.7% usage during recording with the Tascam interface Electric Guitar Direct In with 1/4" cable.

Audio Device Settings:

Audio Device: Tascam US 16x08
Request sample rate: 48000
Request block size: 512
Unchecked Box: "Ignore running change notifications"
Checked Box: "Allow projects to override device sample rate"
Unchecked Box: "Allow use of different input and output devices"

Known good media audio files appear normal and show level change in the master output when played YET no sound is produced in the headphone output.

Levels prior to normalisation are -35 db.

Yes I have tried with a separate power supply unit and the results have not changed.

I am more than thankful for your suggestions and I feel like I learned something anyway regardless if this helps. But again Thanks!
Old 04-22-2021, 10:41 PM   #8
CDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstarz24 View Post
Yeah I tried this and it was still giving me the same problem.
I had the same tascam device, if you don't use their drivers all you get is channel 1 and 2 that is on (PC with generic asio) I would expect same on the Mac.

Good luck with your problem
CDS
Old 04-22-2021, 11:05 PM   #9
CDS

When I had the tascam setup om my computer it was a fairly simple setup:

1. Power cord connected to proper power source.
2. USB2 cord to PC and Tascam.
3. ASIO driver by Tascam.

That is all I needed it worked for what ever I was trying to do.

CDS
Old 04-23-2021, 02:46 AM   #10
Allybye

Well I am struggling now as I don't have that interface or experience of it...and am not familiar with Mac use!

Hopefully someone with mac knowledge will be along shortly.

From reading a bit I understand mac doesn't use the Tascam ASIO driver (? anyone?) but you still have the Tascam Settings app.

Now as purely a guesses there might be a conflict between mac/reaper settings and the Tascam...
....and the lack of headphone output could be a routing issue either in Reaper or the Tascam (if you have not set it in Reaper device properties or in Tascam settings),but as I say just a guess!

Another basic suggestion (ouch!) You have read and followed the Tascam reference document for mac setup?
Do you have access to a completely different interface of a different type to try out thus eliminating computer issue?
Old 04-23-2021, 03:50 AM   #11
CDS

Have you used the Tascam with mac before?
Old 04-25-2021, 04:54 PM   #12
nstarz24

Well I'll take a look at the Tascam interface settings to see if that helps.

I have been using this interface model for a couple years now with Reaper and this is the first time I am having this problem.

Wish me luck.
Old 04-25-2021, 07:00 PM   #13
CDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstarz24 View Post
Well I'll take a look at the Tascam interface settings to see if that helps.

I have been using this interface model for a couple years now with Reaper and this is the first time I am having this problem.

Wish me luck.
What have you changed that it no longer works for you.

Have you upgraded the os on the mac recently?

Good luck

CDS
Old 04-25-2021, 07:46 PM   #14
Philbo King

This sounds like feedback running through a monitoring delay. Your output from Reaper is reaching the input again.

Maybe turn off record monitoring in Reaper and use the interfaces zero latency monitor function.
Old 04-26-2021, 11:01 AM   #15
nstarz24

Ok

So I switch the sample rate from 48000 to 96000 and got a normal electric guitar signal through the headphone output.

Though, the signal disappeared after about 5 seconds and it went back to the previous problem.

Switched it again from 96000 to 48000 and same thing happened.
Old 04-27-2021, 02:16 AM   #16
Allybye

Philbo's suggestion? Tried that?
Seems reasonable to me!