Old 06-10-2019, 08:07 AM   #1
xpander
Human being with feelings

Default v5.978+dev0610 - June 10 2019

v5.978+dev0610 - June 10 2019

+ Envelopes: allow dragging automation items to other envelopes displayed in media lanes, but only if the destination envelope is unambiguous
+ Recording: add action to set recording pass counter to any number
+ Tracks: prevent reordering tracks on tiny mouse moves

This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.
Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:51 AM   #2
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
nice. this kind of "inertia" feature is great, and it'd be good to have this implemented elsewhere as well -- i constantly accidentally only select a tiny fraction of a media item in the media explorer due to a similar tiny click-drag.

Quote:
+ Envelopes: allow dragging automation items to other envelopes displayed in media lanes, but only if the destination envelope is unambiguous
hm. this is an improvement over not being able to drag envelopes from one track to another, but it's not quite right.

in my opinion, the destination envelope should be dictated by the origin envelope. if i'm dragging a pan sweep from track 1 to track 2, i'm doing so because i want the pan effect, not because i want the same AI shape/points to be dropped into a volume envelope instead. if i want to copy AI points to transfer to another envelope, i'd lasso the points themselves. the new behavior in this pre requires me to create the envelope on track 2 first, and THEN click-drag the AI in place -- an unnecessary step, when i've already opted to pull in the pan AI.

the ambiguity is already dissolved when i select the AI to be copied from track 1 to track 2.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:57 AM   #3
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
nice. this kind of "inertia" feature is great, and it'd be good to have this implemented elsewhere as well -- i constantly accidentally only select a tiny fraction of a media item in the media explorer due to a similar tiny click-drag.

hm. this is an improvement over not being able to drag envelopes from one track to another, but it's not quite right.

in my opinion, the destination envelope should be dictated by the origin envelope. if i'm dragging a pan sweep from track 1 to track 2, i'm doing so because i want the pan effect, not because i want the same AI shape/points to be dropped into a volume envelope instead. if i want to copy AI points to transfer to another envelope, i'd lasso the points themselves. the new behavior in this pre requires me to create the envelope on track 2 first, and THEN click-drag the AI in place -- an unnecessary step, when i've already opted to pull in the pan AI.

the ambiguity is already dissolved when i select the AI to be copied from track 1 to track 2.
Is this when snap is off people are having this problem?
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:59 AM   #4
vitalker

Quote:
and it'd be good to have this implemented elsewhere as well -- i constantly accidentally only select a tiny fraction of a media item in the media explorer due to a similar tiny click-drag.
Same here. Agreed!
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:11 AM   #5
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Is this when snap is off people are having this problem?
maybe - i was talking about the media explorer, but i think i've seen it in the arrange view as well.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:15 AM   #6
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Same here. Agreed!
Agreed here too!

I end up a lot of the time having to select a whole area in media explorer just to play from a certain time position of the sample as if not, and I do a single click, it often gives me a super tiny looped area instead.

Also. The main one for me is trying to grab the start or end of a time selection within the arrange page (and not the ruler). Can be really difficult, Just needs hit areas that are adjustable for high res screens maybe?

Lastly.. if you do look at this stuff. Could you have a look at the shortcuts area of the media explorer. After clicking on a shortcut, it often gets stuck the mouse and dragged around and out of place. Only happens on the first click though.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:20 AM   #7
musicbynumbers

+ Recording: add action to set recording pass counter to any number

Have I understood this right.. is it to choose how many times a recording will loop round before stopping?

If so, that's great!

I could set it to 0 hopefully and then have a recording that drops in and out so that I don't have to press stop and don't get a loop.

I actually find that quite a nice way to record parts. A count in (or pre count) and then a single pass and stop.

EDIT: lol, just tried it and now realise it's to do with renaming takes starting from the number you put in. Still cool to have thanks
Old 06-10-2019, 11:09 AM   #8
Sju

Quote:
i constantly accidentally only select a tiny fraction of a media item in the media explorer due to a similar tiny click-drag.
Same here!
Sju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:10 AM   #9
Tod

If I may make a request, in the Midi Editor CC lanes, could we please be able to place points on an envelope so that the points are center positioned on the envelope when the mouse cursor is sitting on the envelope.

Within these bounds Like this:
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:21 PM   #10
tack

Quote:
It's definitely better, but personally I think the tolerance could be increased even further. Reordering tracks is something I do with deliberate mouse movements that span much more than a dozen (or whatever) pixels.
tack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:29 PM   #11
Nostrap

Quote:

Would also like to add that this happens to me constantly
Nostrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:06 PM   #12
pbattersby

Quote:
It would be great to see something like that added to the MIDI editor so that notes are not drawn on tiny mouse moves. I can't count how many times I'm simply trying to position the play cursor and instead draw a MIDI note that I then have to delete, or if I click a little above the MIDI note area, I end up drawing a small loop selection area.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:37 AM   #13
hopi

good idea Tod!
Old 06-11-2019, 09:07 AM   #14
mccrabney

this is me repeating my earlier comment about envelopes, so if you already understood, ignore this post

but this one has a gif:

in this demo, ai moved between the 2 tracks change parameter -- pan turns into volume, volume turns into pan.

i can't think of a use case where this would be preferable to the ai maintaining its parameter when moving from track. desired behavior, applied to the above example, would result in 2 tracks with 2 different ai on each -- a volume and a pan.

sorry to be repetitive, but not a lot of people are engaging on this yet, so i'll talk to myself until there's no chance that i've miscommunicated
Old 06-11-2019, 12:28 PM   #15
jnif

Quote:
this is me repeating my earlier comment about envelopes, so if you already understood, ignore this post

but this one has a gif:

in this demo, ai moved between the 2 tracks change parameter -- pan turns into volume, volume turns into pan.

i can't think of a use case where this would be preferable to the ai maintaining its parameter when moving from track. desired behavior, applied to the above example, would result in 2 tracks with 2 different ai on each -- a volume and a pan.

sorry to be repetitive, but not a lot of people are engaging on this yet, so i'll talk to myself until there's no chance that i've miscommunicated
Pan envelope is the only bipolar envelope, thus glueing overlapping items works nicely on pan envelope. It is handy to move two AIs to pan envelope and make them overlap. Then use glue on pan envelope and move the result back to whatever the original envelope was.

jnif
jnif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:30 PM   #16
EvilDragon

jnif is alive! :O
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:44 PM   #17
jnif

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
jnif is alive! :O
Thanks for the funny welcome
I have been busy with other things in life and have been lurking here occasionaly on new pre-releases.
Lots of new things in Reaper that I have not even tried yet.

jnif
jnif is offline   Reply With Quote