Old 09-11-2017, 01:56 AM   #1
wbgs_radio
Human being with feelings

Default Dolby Atmos?

I am wondering can I use Dolby Atmos, With reaper and if so how?
wbgs_radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:15 AM   #2
Reynaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbgs_radio View Post
I am wondering can I use Dolby Atmos, With reaper and if so how?
The Dolby tools with the RMU don't support Reaper yet.

At the moment your only software options are:
ProTools HD 12.8
Nuendo 7 or 8
DaVinci Resolve 14
Pyramix 11 (to a point)

Last edited by Reynaud; 09-11-2017 at 03:35 AM.
Reynaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:56 AM   #3
wbgs_radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynaud View Post
The Dolby tools with the RMU don't support Reaper yet.

At the moment your only software options are:
ProTools HD 12.8
Nuendo 7 or 8
DaVinci Resolve 14
Pyramix 11 (to a point)
Will reaper support this in the feature?
Old 09-11-2017, 01:00 PM   #4
Reynaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbgs_radio View Post
Will reaper support this in the feature?
Dolby apparently plans to support other systems such as Reaper, but I have no idea what the Timeline is.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:19 PM   #5
wbgs_radio

Quote:
Dolby apparently plans to support other systems such as Reaper, but I have no idea what the Timeline is.
Thanks a lot for the info.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:11 PM   #6
davetbass

ATMOS is part of a Sontaran plot to poison the atmosphere.
davetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:45 PM   #7
Rick O'Shay

You can use ReaSurround to create a 7.1.2 mix. (7.1.4 being the recommended consumer delivery format) Automating movement in ReaSurround would be an excessive amount of work, as this isn't what it was designed for.

Yeah, wait for an official Atmos plugin. If it's anything like the one used in ProTools, it will be LOTS more intuitive.
Rick O'Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:05 PM   #8
ReaDave

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

You can produce a Dolby Atmos mix from an Ambisonic mix if you have the right decoder. In fact, you can output pretty much anything from an Ambisonic mix without needing to do dedicated mixes.
Since switching over to third order Ambisonics for all my mixes, I've found that producing other formats such as mono, stereo, 5.1, 7.1, 256.24.2 (ok, I made that one up) tends to work better than if I started in those other formats to begin with. You're basically producing an Ambisonic mix which sets up a soundfield on the chosen speaker configuration. A soundfield on stereo speakers sounds better than a native panned mix for the same format.
ReaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:14 PM   #9
Reynaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
You can produce a Dolby Atmos mix from an Ambisonic mix if you have the right decoder. In fact, you can output pretty much anything from an Ambisonic mix without needing to do dedicated mixes.
How does the decoder communicate with the RMU?

Anything else is just a standard fixed multichannel configuration, which is not the same thing as a compliant Atmos deliverable.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:25 PM   #10
ReaDave

Quote:

Anything else is just a standard fixed multichannel configuration, which is not the same thing as a compliant Atmos deliverable.
To be honest, I hadn't looked into it until now. I haven't done any Atmos work myself but you are right.
The reason I mentioned it is because the decoder plugins I use from Blue Ripple Sound include a decoder labelled "Dolby Atmos". However, upon checking, they do have specific information on that decoder and it doesn't produce metadata and object information. It is primarily used for creating a bed to layer the objects on later.

More info here...
http://www.blueripplesound.com/story/new-712-support
Old 09-12-2017, 12:29 PM   #11
RobinGShore

Quote:
It doesn't. I think what ReaDave means is that you can use Ambisonics to decode a 10-channel (7.1.2) "bed track" that will be compatible with Atmos. Obviously for object panning you would need the proper hardware/software from Dolby, which currently doesn't support use with Reaper
Old 09-12-2017, 12:48 PM   #12
jpanderson80

Quote:
A soundfield on stereo speakers sounds better than a native panned mix for the same format.
Dave, are you saying that a song mixed in Ambisonic format and bounced to stereo will sound more natural/better than if the song were mixed in stereo to begin with? I'm very curious about this.

Jeremy
Old 09-12-2017, 01:00 PM   #13
ReaDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpanderson80 View Post
Dave, are you saying that a song mixed in Ambisonic format and bounced to stereo will sound more natural/better than if the song were mixed in stereo to begin with? I'm very curious about this.

Jeremy
Yep. That is exactly what I am saying. I wasn't expecting such a difference but it would be hard for me to go back to mixing in stereo now. Even mono downmixes sound better (levels are much more consistent and phase issues are far fewer).
I first noticed this when producing a 5.1 output from an Ambisonic mix of a song I had previously mixed in 5.1. The new 5.1 downmix from the Ambisonic mix sounds FAR more spacious and is much more detailed basically because what is being heard is an Ambisonic soundfield created for a specific speaker arrangement.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:59 PM   #14
jpanderson80

Quote:
Yep. That is exactly what I am saying. I wasn't expecting such a difference but it would be hard for me to go back to mixing in stereo now. Even mono downmixes sound better (levels are much more consistent and phase issues are far fewer).
I first noticed this when producing a 5.1 output from an Ambisonic mix of a song I had previously mixed in 5.1. The new 5.1 downmix from the Ambisonic mix sounds FAR more spacious and is much more detailed basically because what is being heard is an Ambisonic soundfield created for a specific speaker arrangement.
Dave, your PM box is full. Do you have any links for someone like me who is interested in hearing or exploring this Ambisonic idea further? I'm all for better sound.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:35 PM   #15
doppelganger

Quote:
Can you tell more about how it works in few words, please? I'm not familiar with it at all.
Do you record with some specific equipment, mics or else?
Or you record with usual eqipment into WAV, then encode it somehow into that format?
Or you just process usual WAV recording with Blue Ripple Sound plugins or what?
doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:44 PM   #16
ReaDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpanderson80 View Post
Dave, your PM box is full. Do you have any links for someone like me who is interested in hearing or exploring this Ambisonic idea further? I'm all for better sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelganger View Post
Can you tell more about how it works in few words, please? I'm not familiar with it at all.
Do you record with some specific equipment, mics or else?
Or you record with usual eqipment into WAV, then encode it somehow into that format?
Or you just process usual WAV recording with Blue Ripple Sound plugins or what?
I have a website I have recently set up dedicated to Ambisonics and the music I've recorded with it. It is very early days so far and I plan to do a lot more with this site. It's a little disorganized at present but I have a few links to more info about Ambisonics and how to use it.
I have one song uploaded that I've mixed in third order Ambisonics and am working on my biggest album project to date. This is also being mixed in third order and will be uploaded once complete.

I currently have all the Ambisonic stuff on my synth website and am contemplating setting up either a dedicated site for it or just tidying up what is there already. Not sure which way I'll go with it yet.

Anyway, the direct url to the Ambisonic section is via www.AmbisonicMusic.com