Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-10-2017, 07:02 AM   #41
Jack Winter
Human being with feelings

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but being able to put reaper on a usb drive and run your personally configured version on any system is very refreshing. Non DRM protected plugin travel with it, and DRM protected plugins that don't travel can be installed on the host systems.

Seems that as long as one stays with VST plugins, the projects are even cross platform compatible, but as I haven't done extensive testing I won't put my hand in the fire on this one.
Software: Archlinux/KDE, Komplete8, IK Multimedia, Toontrack, Schwa/Stillwell and various other plugs. Gear: i7-2600k, 16gb ram, RME Multiface, RME Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, and too much more :)
Jack Winter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 07:38 AM   #42
drichard

Yes, that was my point as well. By making bad outsourcing decisions Avid has screwed up the PT software so badly that doing a large installation with PT is more risky than taking a chance on a company that is small, but focused. Right now the PT software is a train wreck.

And as you also said, in addition, development is moving forward at a snail's pace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post

I think the argument isn't so much against that thinking but more that Avid has turned unprofessional and unreliable. And in fact more so than the team prone to bicycle accidents.
drichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:41 AM   #43
chip mcdonald

Reaper is the only choice for the long haul where you're not likely to find yourself in trouble because of corporate hijinks.

Once Avid is gone the vacuum will be filled, but not necessarily with the wisest option.

Once filled whoever fills it - aside from Reaper - are likely to try to quickly consolidate their position "somehow".

That "somehow" will be expensive or a hassle, or both.

1) Do you like how Itunes works?
2) Do you like forced Windows updates?
3) Do you like the Fun New Norm, Adobe's trend setting "subscription model"?

If you answered no to any of those 3, Reaper is your only future.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:48 AM   #44
tzzsmk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
Don't know if it's been mentioned, but being able to put reaper on a usb drive and run your personally configured version on any system is very refreshing. Non DRM protected plugin travel with it, and DRM protected plugins that don't travel can be installed on the host systems.
yes this is a very convenient thing, plus the settings is a common text config file, so can be adjusted without need to start the software (which helps a LOT when problems arise)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald View Post

companies massively jumping (or should I say falling?) into clouds is a very unfortunate in my opinion, sure there are pros and cons of anything, but this just doesn't work,
been at Adobe conference, took place at cinema complex, where lack of connectivity basically showed how creative cloud becomes useless piece of sh!t as soon as internet connection goes off,
windows updates are another major problem (mainly due to the fact windows itself is designed non-reliably, so in case of basically any failure, system becomes unbootable), also idle state detection mechanisms obviously do not work well yet (tested various download/network/render/batch tasks, windows 10 just carelessly reboots),
the very appealing thing about Reaper is it doesn't need any network access for stable long-term reliable operation (compared to for ex. Cakewalk Sonar, which used to be my DAW before introduction of subscription licensing system, where at initial stages the lack of connectivity switched software into demo mode which meant saving became disabled) - again internet being cause no.1 source for "problems" (be it malware or any other undesired system alteration), most studios crucial workstations are not tied to outer network at all
El Capitan Hackintosh i7-5820K, ASUS X99-S, 32GB DDR4, GTX980Ti Classified, 850 EVO 500GB, HDSPe AIO, Faderport, Seaboard RISE49, Eris E8, K240 MKII, U2713HM, MacBook Pro 13 Mid-2012 (i7, 16GB, 840 EVO 500GB, 1TB), Fireface 802, Octamic D, DT-770 M, SE215-K
tzzsmk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:39 AM   #45
Geoff Waddington

At Reapers price every professional should own a copy in addition to whatever else they own and use !

Remember a few years back the great story about UAD at Musikmessesome spotted in a press photo using an eval copy of Reaper ?

Turns out there was a problem with whatever they were supposed to be using, likely PT, and they said "Yeah, thank goodness for Reaper, saved our butts, got us out of a jam"

Everyone should own a copy !

As far as PT and its resistance to attacks from contenders like Nuendo, indeed, as others are saying, times, they may be a changing.

Had a look at Avid's stock price lately ?

Read any of the finance scandal rags about the Avid management team's antics of the last few years ?

Reaper's tight size, stability, portable install, customization, etc. are all definite plusses for Reaper consideration.

As far as control surface lack of support, agree, working, please wait...

Oh, and I sincerely hope they NEVER get a marketing department to wine and dine potential customers as was suggested earlier, and also hope they never get a customer service desk, this it it already
Old 09-11-2017, 03:56 AM   #46
martifingers

I ,for one, am uncomfortable thinking, let alone talking about bicycle accidents as I truly wish our developers long (and happy and fulfilled) life. But REAPER will outlive us all won't it, in the way that all great art and science does. And I would expect that the intellectual property rights of REAPER would remain as asset with value that could (depending on the wishes of its owner) be exploited in due course.
martifingers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:27 PM   #47
cassembler

Quote:

I'm beginning to accept the subscription model in _some_ scenarios, being that it (can) better support a long-term development shop. Roland's idea that you own some pieces after a time has promise (not a comment on the product itself, just the idea).

E.g. if Native Instruments offered Komplete 'Eternity' at $20/month, it would be mighty tempting...
Old 09-12-2017, 10:42 PM   #48
mschnell

A (non-pro) Reaper subscription is just some $60 for at least two years .

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 09-13-2017 at 06:17 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:13 AM   #49
tzzsmk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassembler View Post
I'm beginning to accept the subscription model in _some_ scenarios, being that it (can) better support a long-term development shop. Roland's idea that you own some pieces after a time has promise (not a comment on the product itself, just the idea).

E.g. if Native Instruments offered Komplete 'Eternity' at $20/month, it would be mighty tempting...
I'm strongly against subscription the way for ex. Adobe does, "you stop paying, program refuses to work", basically I was really happy to find a replacement for Illustrator and Photoshop (Affinity Designer and Photo respectively),
compared to that for ex. AVID, "you stop paying, no more updates or support" at least lets users continue working with whatever projects they have, although further issues may arise
El Capitan Hackintosh i7-5820K, ASUS X99-S, 32GB DDR4, GTX980Ti Classified, 850 EVO 500GB, HDSPe AIO, Faderport, Seaboard RISE49, Eris E8, K240 MKII, U2713HM, MacBook Pro 13 Mid-2012 (i7, 16GB, 840 EVO 500GB, 1TB), Fireface 802, Octamic D, DT-770 M, SE215-K
Old 09-13-2017, 07:53 AM   #50
serr

The subscription model combined with willfully treating software installs as disposable and even going so far as to not even clone your OS installs, treating them as disposable too is the epitome of insanity to me.
Mac Pro 8x3.33GHz i7, 16GB, 256GB SSD(OS, apps), 3x2TB 7200 HD(data); MacBook Pro 2.8GHz, 6GB, 128GB SSD HD(OS, apps), 750GB 7200 HD(data); 2xTrue Precision 8; Apogee AD-16; 2xMOTU 828mk3, Evolution UC-33e; Faderport; WiRanger, iPad & the analog mixer has retired
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:16 AM   #51
DarkStar

"Welcome to the mad-house", then

My top 40 FRs, as voted by you (updated for August 2016)
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:20 AM   #52
drichard

Obviously Reaper includes a permanent license. There are two types of PT subscription plans. One includes a permanent license, and you are subscribing to updates and a support plan for a period of time. The other is a monthly subscription that stops working when you stop paying. When people refer to a subscription plan most people are talking about the second type in which the software expires.

But you're right, in many ways a Reaper license is very much like the first type. You do get updates up to a particular version instead of for a particular period of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
A (non-pro) Reaper subscription is just some $60 for at least two years .

-Michael
Old 09-13-2017, 10:28 AM   #53
drichard

Adding to the insanity is that over the course of a subscription OS support can change and previously supported OS's can be dropped. Plus, iLok support and plugins.

I marvel at the lengths PT users go to in order to assure a clean install. First, it is customary to do a full system backup. Then in some cases an update might require an OS update, an iLok manager update, completely re-installing all plugins with new versions of certain plugins (some AAX plugins caused problems as PT updates were released), installing the PT software, removing their buggy application manager, and then removing the problematic cloud support. Any of those steps can cause a problem and may need to be debugged, in various combinations.

PT users consider that normal. I think it is something worse than insane. Typically it takes me 15 seconds to update Reaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
The subscription model combined with willfully treating software installs as disposable and even going so far as to not even clone your OS installs, treating them as disposable too is the epitome of insanity to me.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:17 AM   #54
karbomusic

Quote:
I'm strongly against subscription the way for ex. Adobe does, "you stop paying, program refuses to work", basically I was really happy to find a replacement for Illustrator and Photoshop (Affinity Designer and Photo respectively),
I've had an Adobe subscription for several years now, and it has been a far better experience than the previous model. Not to mention I can use it across 5 machines IIRC, I always have the very latest versions and so on at an overall cost that is far less than before. I feared it would be bad, but in reality, I'm fine with it after trying it.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:29 PM   #55
cassembler

Going back to OP topic though, I do think Reaper is a very strong candidate for large-scale, IT-style deployment. If you can crack the nut of plugin licenses, you could pretty easily deploy it to hundreds of machines* and ensure a very consistent experience with them (i.e. Group Policy replicates preferences & other template files, regardless of which user logs in where).

(* Properly licensing Reaper as well, of course, but at least no dongles will be required).
Old 09-15-2017, 12:46 AM   #56
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinknoise View Post
Ubisoft and Guitar Hero or Rockband cant remember the company's name switched to Reaper from Protools. Reasons are they are making a lots of installations for new employees or reinstalling often. At the speed its done with Reaper its understandable why.
Also batch exports with auto naming was a big thing for those companies.
choice of the individuals working there, not the choice of the company. An audio team for a game will use many different tools for different tasks.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:00 AM   #57
G-Sun

Quote:
Going back to OP topic though, I do think Reaper is a very strong candidate for large-scale, IT-style deployment. If you can crack the nut of plugin licenses, you could pretty easily deploy it to hundreds of machines* and ensure a very consistent experience with them (i.e. Group Policy replicates preferences & other template files, regardless of which user logs in where).

(* Properly licensing Reaper as well, of course, but at least no dongles will be required).
This makes very sense for schools at least
Old 09-15-2017, 07:44 PM   #58
chip mcdonald

I own my copy of Photoshop.
I own my copy of Fruity Loops, upgraded for life.
I own Reaper.

I will not do a subscription model.
Old Today, 03:01 AM   #59
tzzsmk

Quote:

this could be pretty much the dealbreaker, convenience to manage DAWs globally, plus consistent yet relatively individual/customizable experience workspace either user-based or machine-based

Quote:
I own my copy of Photoshop.
I own my copy of Fruity Loops, upgraded for life.
I own Reaper.

I will not do a subscription model.
Photoshop CS6? you might take a look at Affinity Photo as a worthy one-time-purchase alternative