Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-02-2017, 03:40 AM   #1
razaretcha
Human being with feelings

Default Tracks suddenly out of sync after rendering them

Hello,

I decided to make a cover of the first song I learned on electric guitar and upload it to youtube just to keep track of my progress. Anyway, I used reaper to do so, the software is quite awesome and I'm happy with how easy it is to use, etc.
So I recorded multiple tracks for lead guitar, double-tracked rhythm and the drum/bass/vocal-backing track which I got from YouTube. Sounds alright when I click play in the DAW. Everything is as synchronized as I want it to be.

So then I rendered the file to MP3, Flac, WMA, whatever, but the result is always the same: the tracks are out of sync when I do that. It's like the guitars are a little to late, but enough to make it sound like crap. I've tried many things, I turned off audio driver reported latency, changed the buffer from my audio device to 32, rendered to different files, but now I simply don't know what else to do.

My hardware:
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
FX 8320@ 4Ghz
16GB RAM
GTX 780Ti

And BIAS FX for the guitars.
The PC certainly isn't new anymore but it should be more than capable of getting the job done.

What else can I do? I haven't bought the software yet, I'm still evaluating it. Could this be the reason? If so, that's a dirty way to make someone buy stuff

Anyway, I really hope someone knows how to solve this because it's been driving me nuts.

Thanks!
Best wishes,
razaretcha
razaretcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:19 AM   #2
cfillion

Try rendering online (option in the Render dialog). Perhaps one of your plugin doesn't report to REAPER the correct latency when rendering offline (full speed).
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 04:09 PM   #3
razaretcha

Didn't help, unfortunately. I aligned them perfectly again. Then I clicked render and the tracks are out of sync again. I just don't get it.
Old 09-03-2017, 03:22 AM   #4
uncleswede

Well, to put your mind at rest firstly, Reaper does not deliberately cripple the rendered audio on unlicensed versions!

Anyway... as an experiment, disable ALL FX (run action "Toggle FX Bypass on all tracks" or ctrl-click on FX enable/disable button of any track) then render.

Obviously the rendered audio will sound crap but is the track sync within it still affected?
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:00 PM   #5
Plarnuvius

Default rendering out of sync

I have the same problem. Following advice, I turned off all FX and the remaining audio rendered in sync. SO I then tried "apply track fx to item as new take" on my midi tracks, but the new take (as audio) was out of sync, so thst's not a cure.
Plarnuvius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:40 PM   #6
uncleswede

In that case it's an FX that's causing it so disable any non-Cockos FXs one by one and re-render until you identify the FX responsible. Then we'll go from there.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:08 PM   #7
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

If all fails (and normal playback works), you can still use 'File'->"Save live output to disk (bounce)" until you figured out the culprit.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:03 PM   #8
Plarnuvius

Default Tracks suddenly out of sync - solved

I was rendering at "full speed offline" when I switched to "ofline 1x" everything rendered in sync. Hope this works for others too.
Plarnuvius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:56 PM   #9
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plarnuvius View Post
I was rendering at "full speed offline" when I switched to "ofline 1x" everything rendered in sync.
This should only be necessary when using outboard equipment or when using incorrectly / carelessly done plugins that use "realtime" instead of just sample-time.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:42 AM   #10
tzzsmk

I ran into similar problem long time ago when using Cakewalk Sonar, it's a general problem of rendering algorithms, that realtime listening usually produces different results than offline bounce BECAUSE most DAWs are by default configured to use more precise, usually oversampling too, algorithms when rendering, while in "live" mode, priority is track sync and latency compensation,
also try setting audio buffer to something like 1024 (because longer latency doesn't matter at all unless recording),
also this is what I'd try - render each track separately (via render matrix), then create new project, and import all those tracks, to see if those are out of sync too, or not
Old 09-13-2017, 11:56 AM   #11
razaretcha

Nothing at all works, not even saving the live output! I'm about to give up.

I have no idea how that matrix thing works, though.

Oh, and I only use BIAS FX, that's all. No other effects!
Old 09-13-2017, 12:12 PM   #12
tzzsmk

Quote:
Originally Posted by razaretcha View Post
Oh, and I only use BIAS FX, that's all. No other effects!
does the problem persist if you remove it and use something else?
Old 09-13-2017, 01:20 PM   #13
razaretcha

I'm gonna give it a try tomorrow. After many frustrating hours, I'm gonna smash my monitor if I keep going
Before I forget, I'd like to thank each and every one of you for taking your time to help me!
Old 09-14-2017, 02:27 AM   #14
uncleswede

Quote:
Originally Posted by razaretcha View Post
I'm gonna give it a try tomorrow. After many frustrating hours, I'm gonna smash my monitor if I keep going
Before I forget, I'd like to thank each and every one of you for taking your time to help me!
If your tests show that removing the bias FX plug in works, then, in case it's a reaper setting you have inadvertently changed that is somehow affecting the way that the Bias FX effect renders, do a portable Reaper install (can coexist with your live Installation), change nothing and then check if projects with the bias FX plug in render OK
Old 10-04-2020, 01:39 PM   #15
ixta

Default Rubber band library

The problem for me was using the Rubber band library within the ReaPitch plugin.
It made everything go out of sync.
ixta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 04:23 PM   #16
Sari

Have you checked your playrate?
Old 11-20-2020, 02:33 PM   #17
djabthrash

Hi !

I'm having a similar problem today, and one of my tracks in my DAW is a VIDEO track.

Tried all the things suggested in this thread but nothing has worked so far ...

Here are all the details about my problem :

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...05&postcount=5
djabthrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:35 PM   #18
noguano

I got this from the Rubber Band pitch shift as well, what a pain! I love the sound of the Rubber Band stuff but it has proven unusable I think. In my case I applied the pitch effect to a bus track, and then the things not sent to that track would all be out of sync, either when rendering or playing back from the start. but if starting playback midway through the song, they would sound in-sync. When i switched to a different "Algorithm", the timing issue went away. I really hope we can get this Rubber Band Library looked at and fixed!
noguano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 05:00 PM   #19
spaids

Here is my two cents.

I noticed my project was at 48K and I was rendering to 44. I changed it to 48 to match my project and it rendered with no problems for me.
spaids is offline   Reply With Quote