Old 08-18-2017, 05:18 AM   #41
MRMJP
Human being with feelings
 
MRMJP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Milwaukee, WI USA
Posts: 1,302
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
IMHO, all of this could be part of a project template or something like this, maybe with the help of some scripts..

-Michael
You've kind of missed the entire point, and there are things I've mentioned that are not going to be possible via scripts, and plenty more on the way with the list we've been compiling.

Not everybody has a mind for scripting or time for trial and error. Even Jon the REAPER Blog guy uses HOFA for simple album assemble and he's on the basic end of the spectrum of what we're asking here.

Trust me. If it were already possible, I'd already be using it and not wasting time asking for it.

It's more than just a few or some 3rd party scripts. It's a totally different approach with a special set of tools, ideas, features, workflows, and quality control.
__________________
MacOS 10.12.6 - iMac 3.5GHz Quad i7 - 32GB RAM - SSD for OS and audio
http://www.mysteryroommastering.com/ - http://www.justincarlperkins.com/
MRMJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 06:50 AM   #42
SubbaseDnB
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMJP View Post
You've kind of missed the entire point, and there are things I've mentioned that are not going to be possible via scripts, and plenty more on the way with the list we've been compiling.

Not everybody has a mind for scripting or time for trial and error. Even Jon the REAPER Blog guy uses HOFA for simple album assemble and he's on the basic end of the spectrum of what we're asking here.

Trust me. If it were already possible, I'd already be using it and not wasting time asking for it.

It's more than just a few or some 3rd party scripts. It's a totally different approach with a special set of tools, ideas, features, workflows, and quality control.

would be nice if Reaper had its own "Mastering Enviroment/Mode)Looking forward to your lists of things thats missing from what can be done now
SubbaseDnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:10 AM   #43
MRMJP
Human being with feelings
 
MRMJP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Milwaukee, WI USA
Posts: 1,302
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubbaseDnB View Post
would be nice if Reaper had its own "Mastering Enviroment/Mode)Looking forward to your lists of things thats missing from what can be done now
I agree, thanks for showing interest. It's more than a view preset and more 3rd party scripts.

It's ideally an entirely different mode and environment as you say. There is a reason why some of use move to HOFA or WaveLab etc. to finalize the job. Mastering is more than putting the songs in order on a timeline and adding stereo processing FX and that's where REAPER starts to fall short.

REAPER is amazing at many things and I know was never intended to be a mastering DAW, but it's already fairly close so why not go all the way and likely gain a lot more users?

I also received a PM on this forum about another well known mastering engineer trying to use REAPER but with a list of notes about how REAPER can be more friendly to mastering-only people.
__________________
MacOS 10.12.6 - iMac 3.5GHz Quad i7 - 32GB RAM - SSD for OS and audio
http://www.mysteryroommastering.com/ - http://www.justincarlperkins.com/
MRMJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:18 AM   #44
SubbaseDnB
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMJP View Post
I agree, thanks for showing interest. It's more than a view preset and more 3rd party scripts.

It's ideally an entirely different mode and environment as you say. There is a reason why some of use move to HOFA or WaveLab etc. to finalize the job. Mastering is more than putting the songs in order on a timeline and adding stereo processing FX and that's where REAPER starts to fall short.

REAPER is amazing at many things and I know was never intended to be a mastering DAW, but it's already fairly close so why not go all the way and likely gain a lot more users?

I also received a PM on this forum about another well known mastering engineer trying to use REAPER but with a list of notes about how REAPER can be more friendly to mastering-only people.

i also have studio one pro 3,and have used that before to master my own tracks,but i found the lack of automation in the project page to be a down side.

i only recently got back to using Reaper again for my musc,so havent Mastered any of my new tracks in Reaper yet.

But the sooner you guyscan post your lists the sooner the devs could look into it
SubbaseDnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:24 AM   #45
MRMJP
Human being with feelings
 
MRMJP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Milwaukee, WI USA
Posts: 1,302
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubbaseDnB View Post
i also have studio one pro 3,and have used that before to master my own tracks,but i found the lack of automation in the project page to be a down side.

i only recently got back to using Reaper again for my musc,so havent Mastered any of my new tracks in Reaper yet.

But the sooner you guyscan post your lists the sooner the devs could look into it
Will do. I checked out Studio One V3 a bit but did not thing the mastering project page was as useful as the WaveLab montage which I already use and have dialed in. Arnd from PreSonus emailed me a few weeks ago saying they did an update and included a lot of my suggestions after initially trying Studio One V3 but I haven't had time to revisit.

Aside from lack of automation that you mention, do you see a nice benefit of having a dedicated mastering mode/environment for mastering related tasks rather than having to do it in a normal recording/mixing DAW?
__________________
MacOS 10.12.6 - iMac 3.5GHz Quad i7 - 32GB RAM - SSD for OS and audio
http://www.mysteryroommastering.com/ - http://www.justincarlperkins.com/
MRMJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:32 AM   #46
SubbaseDnB
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMJP View Post

Aside from lack of automation that you mention, do you see a nice benefit of having a dedicated mastering mode/environment for mastering related tasks rather than having to do it in a normal recording/mixing DAW?

the biggest benefit when i was using studio one pro (and bear in mind im no professional mastering ingeneer,only master my own stuff,and sometimes stuff from some of the labels i release on)

was that with the project page in studio one,it was easy to import the tracks that needed to be on a release,it was easy to set how long time it should take to go from one track to the next on the release,Basic stuff really.i have never used wavelabs montage,only have a copy of wavelab elements 9.


but i always loved to do all in 1 program,and not have to bounce out from different programs

one thing i loved about using studio one pro ,was (with my own music)if something needed to be fixed in the mix,i could quickly jump between the mix,and the project page,and all stuff would be updated.


but your lists really need to be in the feature requst forum,no one knows when Reaper 6 will arrive,the one thing the really are trying to nail now it seems is Automation items,which will be a HUGE deal
SubbaseDnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:36 AM   #47
MRMJP
Human being with feelings
 
MRMJP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Milwaukee, WI USA
Posts: 1,302
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubbaseDnB View Post

but your lists really need to be in the feature requst forum,no one knows when Reaper 6 will arrive,the one thing the really are trying to nail now it seems is Automation items,which will be a HUGE deal
Yes, we'll definitely post it in the right forum when it's official. I just wanted to get a feel for a few things in the main forum where more people tend to look.

Thanks for your insights.
__________________
MacOS 10.12.6 - iMac 3.5GHz Quad i7 - 32GB RAM - SSD for OS and audio
http://www.mysteryroommastering.com/ - http://www.justincarlperkins.com/
MRMJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 01:50 PM   #48
mlprod
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 392
Default

Now with v 5.5 almost done, I think its time for a meta data render update in Reaper!
It should work with mp3 and other formats aswell.

Defining Performer/Artist, Album title and things like that in the project settings would be great.
The performer, album title etc should also be available as wild cards in the render window to easen up file naming for master file exports.
mlprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:11 AM   #49
SubbaseDnB
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlprod View Post
Now with v 5.5 almost done, I think its time for a meta data render update in Reaper!
It should work with mp3 and other formats aswell.

Defining Performer/Artist, Album title and things like that in the project settings would be great.
The performer, album title etc should also be available as wild cards in the render window to easen up file naming for master file exports.
would defo make sense
SubbaseDnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:36 AM   #50
MRMJP
Human being with feelings
 
MRMJP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Milwaukee, WI USA
Posts: 1,302
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlprod View Post
Now with v 5.5 almost done, I think its time for a meta data render update in Reaper!
It should work with mp3 and other formats aswell.

Defining Performer/Artist, Album title and things like that in the project settings would be great.
The performer, album title etc should also be available as wild cards in the render window to easen up file naming for master file exports.
Yeah. Basically the way it works in WaveLab is that you enter all the important info just one time, and whether you render WAV, mp3 , DDP etc, all the CD-Text and applicable metadata is there.

WAV file get ID3/AXML/RIFF tags, mp3/AAC get that plus ID3v1, CD-Text is CD-Text of course.

When using WaveLab, I don't need to use an additional app for any metadata needs, but I do occasionally use one to double check things.

The point is to enter the data once, and have it pushed to all applicable places.

This could be a big help for people that try to do mastering all in REAPER. This is just one of many things that would need to happen for me to consider that.
__________________
MacOS 10.12.6 - iMac 3.5GHz Quad i7 - 32GB RAM - SSD for OS and audio
http://www.mysteryroommastering.com/ - http://www.justincarlperkins.com/
MRMJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:23 PM   #51
Bri1
Human being with feelings
 
Bri1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: England
Posts: 904
Default

It would be ideal if next batch of pre-releases just focused on getting all that is there now-working smoother than a tumbled pebble.
Maybe even look at the whole list of outstanding (plausible) user requests- and implement the lot!
This would please a lot i'm sure.
Keep v.6 for the super secret next level stuff (secrets suck though tbh )

It appears 3 operating systems are being worked for-is this ideal?! I wish there was just 1 os, like cockos/jesusonic were originally going todo with the> "jesusonic in hardware ". (https://www.cockos.com/jesusonic/)
The os + dedicated audio programme still might have made sense-- i'm sure it could still be out sourced to an interested 3rd party!
There's 32bit interfacing now=npz.
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:44 PM   #52
tzzsmk
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Prague
Posts: 55
Default

in my opinion there needs to be "something major" else there's no reason to confuse people with another major version (which also would mean v.4 buyers were no longer eligible to use their license),

as I've used probably all major DAWs out there, as well as various virtual and real instruments and controllers, only major things I can think of right now is:

1) full MPE support (Multidimensional Polyphonic Expression MIDI), as a happy owner of Seaboard RISE49, I can genuinely say MPE MIDI is a huge game changer among virtual instruments MIDI data flow

2) ARA (Audio Random Access, so DAW and plug-in can exchange information about the audio file, tempo, pitch, and rhythm, not only in the moment of playback but for the whole song), is another game changer for advanced track alteration, be it complex melody or rythm adjustments for ex.

3) native Linux and ARM support, this is something already in progress as far as I can guess, again a crucial step as it would let Reaper become literally OS-independent DAW

4) entirely reworked GUI draw system, not that I would complain, but recent boom of hi-res screens, touch devices, advanced scaling stuff and so on I think it might be interesting to optimize/enhance this a bit more while not essentially changing the look of Reaper itself

5) reworked and fully-featured video editing, I guess this is something relatively very unimportant, but doing so would totally deserve shiny new version number, right?
__________________
El Capitan Hackintosh i7-5820K @4.3GHz, ASUS X99-S, 32GB DDR4, GTX980Ti Classified, 850 EVO 500GB, HDSPe AIO, Faderport, Seaboard RISE49, Eris E8, K240 MKII, U2713HM, MacBook Pro 13 Mid-2012 (i7, 16GB, 840 EVO 500GB, 1TB), Fireface 802, Octamic D, DT-770 M, SE215-K
tzzsmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:28 PM   #53
MikComposer
Human being with feelings
 
MikComposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Brighton
Posts: 1,778
Default

Sound needs to be improved. Right now Cubase and FL still have smoother sound. I don't know why, but somehow it produces clearer tighter sound by a tad, but makes a difference, especially when working with midi.

Next, reaper does needs interface and tools overhaul. There is planty of actions, custom scripts etc, and they need to be consolidated together in to smarter tools, so there is less of them, but it is easier to use them, and they work better. Right now I have so many buttons to do different actions, mostly custom scripts, but the interface of those, and functionality is a mess. That should be worked on and if it will be r6 then so be it, but those are important.
__________________
My Royalty Free Music library
MikComposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:55 PM   #54
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikComposer View Post
Right now Cubase and FL still have smoother sound.
This is perfectly impossible, as any DAW does not change the "sound" but just does what it is supposed to do. Besides selecting e.g. a Sample Rate, "Sound" is just a matter of plugins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikComposer View Post
Next, reaper does needs interface and tools overhaul.
This is absolutely a matter of personal taste and depends just on the workflow any user is inclined to follow. So what you suggest needs a different Reaper for any user, which obviously is hard to do.

(You started such pointless discussions (with no usable / concrete suggestion) already multiple times. Why not just use Cubase ? Or are you just trying to be funny ? )



-Michael
__________________
www.boa-sorte.de

Last edited by mschnell; 09-11-2017 at 11:53 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:25 AM   #55
Eddy
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 125
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
This is perfectly impossible, as any DAW does not change the "sound" but just does what it is supposed to do. Besides selecting e.g. a Sample Rate, "Sound" is just a matter of plugins.


This is absolutely a matter of personal taste and depends just on the workflow any user is inclined to follow. So what you suggest needs a different Reaper for any user, which obviously is hard to do.

(You started such pointless discussions (with no usable / concrete suggestion) already multiple times. Why not just use Cubase ? Or are you just trying to be funny ? )



-Michael
some interface issues arent a matter of personal taste but impede any workflow before a workaround is developed. For example I posted a midi editor view bug
"Multiple midi clips cannot be viewed in a single editor when piano roll timebase set to source beats." which is a clear interface problem (whether you want to call it a bug or something else). Apparently there are other similar interface issues according to Evil Dragon. I can understand that no-one wants to tidy up that boring stuff, but those issues do exist
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:49 AM   #56
xpander
Human being with feelings
 
xpander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Terra incognita
Posts: 3,888
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikComposer View Post
There is planty of actions, custom scripts etc, and they need to be consolidated together in to smarter tools, so there is less of them, but it is easier to use them, and they work better. Right now I have so many buttons to do different actions, mostly custom scripts, but the interface of those, and functionality is a mess.
All those custom actions and scripts are from the individual Reaper users. Their look and behavior is up to their makers to decide. There is no way Cockos could take all that under their control unless they'd do exactly that; allow only a very limited and always the same interface for everything made by the users. As for the functionality, Cockos would also have to seriously limit the programming possibilities and basically since there is always a chance for users to "mess" something when given the possibility, take all that away as well. That goes strictly against one of the main things about Reaper, the enormous flexibility and ability for each user to make Reaper more to their liking.

So your requests and expectations about all that should actually go to all the individuals offering their personal stuff for everybody to use. There are already individual attempts to unify the user experience eg. ReaPack. While you might not be able to personally help in those moves towards unity, you still have personal responsibility about how you make your version of Reaper to behave and look. It's a free choice and if you are not happy with the outcome, the person responsible for that is ultimately looking at you from the mirror.

Mind you, I surely understand your complain. I like to keep everything as tidy and collected as possible. I even intentionally restrict and limit things to keep myself using less to the full potential rather than having more and losing myself in the maze. But that is my personal choice and I'm glad I do have that option every time there is something potentially useful on offer..
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:40 AM   #57
buckman
Human being with feelings
 
buckman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,551
Default

Me personally, a Mastering mode (as people have mentioned here) with proper 'Area Selection..

Also maybe an 'Editing mode', whereby it still all takes place in the timeline, but you could use Area Selection and fx adding and editing without splitting files etc.
So like the Audio Editors do (Wavelab, Sound Forge, Audacity). Also the setting to have destructive editing, while trimming and doing necessary 'housework' on files before starting a song..

I know you can have editors within Reaper, but it would STILL be great to not touch those and have Reaper do it all!
The editors now on a Mac aren't great, and Cockos could clean up with some proper editing/mastering tools on the 'before and after' of composition, or sound design etc.

My 2c
__________________
==
Reaper 6 needs Area Selection!
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=122
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:21 PM   #58
MikComposer
Human being with feelings
 
MikComposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Brighton
Posts: 1,778
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
All those custom actions and scripts are from the individual Reaper users. Their look and behavior is up to their makers to decide. There is no way Cockos could take all that under their control unless they'd do exactly that; allow only a very limited and always the same interface for everything made by the users. As for the functionality, Cockos would also have to seriously limit the programming possibilities and basically since there is always a chance for users to "mess" something when given the possibility, take all that away as well. That goes strictly against one of the main things about Reaper, the enormous flexibility and ability for each user to make Reaper more to their liking.

So your requests and expectations about all that should actually go to all the individuals offering their personal stuff for everybody to use. There are already individual attempts to unify the user experience eg. ReaPack. While you might not be able to personally help in those moves towards unity, you still have personal responsibility about how you make your version of Reaper to behave and look. It's a free choice and if you are not happy with the outcome, the person responsible for that is ultimately looking at you from the mirror.

Mind you, I surely understand your complain. I like to keep everything as tidy and collected as possible. I even intentionally restrict and limit things to keep myself using less to the full potential rather than having more and losing myself in the maze. But that is my personal choice and I'm glad I do have that option every time there is something potentially useful on offer..
Thanks for reply. I've spent a month customizing reaper. Then update came, and half of the custom actions or scripts stopped working. And to be frank, if reaper got tidy up and the interface and tool were made solid, that wouldn't mean that additional scripting wouldn't be possible. It would only mean, that there wouldn't be much need for anything additional, unless it would be something very specific, not as standard as cc tools for example.
__________________
My Royalty Free Music library
MikComposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:39 PM   #59
Tod
Human being with feelings
 
Tod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Just outside of Glacier National Park
Posts: 10,838
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
Mind you, I surely understand your complain. I like to keep everything as tidy and collected as possible. I even intentionally restrict and limit things to keep myself using less to the full potential rather than having more and losing myself in the maze. But that is my personal choice and I'm glad I do have that option every time there is something potentially useful on offer..
Heh heh, I'm almost the opposite, if I need a custom action or toolbar at any particular time, I make it, irregardless what the project is. And I've got an array of various type projects, nearly all with different workflows.

I just wish there were more toolbars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikComposer View Post
Thanks for reply. I've spent a month customizing reaper. Then update came, and half of the custom actions or scripts stopped working.
Wow Mik, I don't think I've ever lost the functionality of my custom actions or scripts. Now in all honesty, I have a lot of custom actions that I haven't used in a long time, and maybe they don't work any more, I don't know.

Quote:
And to be frank, if reaper got tidy up and the interface and tool were made solid, that wouldn't mean that additional scripting wouldn't be possible. It would only mean, that there wouldn't be much need for anything additional, unless it would be something very specific, not as standard as cc tools for example.
I do agree with you that there are a lot of little things in Reaper that could use some serious attention. I run across problems nearly every day. Most of the time it's pilot error and it's some stupid little thing I missed or forgot.

But I also think there are some little quirks and bugs, kind of little gotchyas. It would be nice if the devs could set aside a couple of months, or maybe a whole quarter, to take care of some of these. Trust me I do have my own list.

However, aside from the little things, I don't want Reaper to be any different, it's the ability to customize Reaper to the degree that it can, that makes it my home.

I use Reaper every day, sometimes 7 days a week, 6, 8, sometimes 12 hours a day, and I'm always impressed with the different ways I can set it up for any project I'm involved with.
__________________
Kontakt Vid Tutorials->Create Outputs / Create Templates -|- SMDrums Free drums
Elk Videos->Opening / Snooze / Bull Fight / End Credits
Tod's Music->1st Recording (1965) / My Daughter / A Little Country
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:19 AM   #60
endorka
Human being with feelings
 
endorka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 305
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by endorka View Post
...various codes such as ISRC and EAN must be embedded such as catalogue number, artist etc. ...The way these are entered into a Reaper based DDP project at the moment is clumsy and error prone, and verification of them not simple.

Another useful thing for DDPs is preparation of a human readable PQ sheet.
Since doing some more mastering projects I've found a couple of things that make these much easier.

I was entering the CD codes directly into markers on the timeline. Since then I've discovered the Region/Marker manager. This is MUCH easier to use & verify. Should've paid more attention to the manual. Doh!

Also, the ddptools commonly used alongside Reaper have the option to output an html PQ sheet.

By using regions to hold the markers, it's easy to render the WAV masters with the region render matrix. Then SWS: convert regions to markers for the DDP render. This way you can easily get the WAV and DDP renders from one mastering project. Nice :-)

This is probably old news to more experienced folks, but a revelation to myself. The recent mastering project I did was really efficient & pleasant to do in Reaper.

Cheers,
Jennifer
__________________
Producer | Arranger | Composer | Bass guitar | Double bass
Web: www.jenclarkmusic.com
endorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:12 AM   #61
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,457
Default

Great ! Thanks for sharing this.

I was not aware of anything you described but it might be valuable to know it some time in the future !

-Michael
__________________
www.boa-sorte.de
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.