Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-13-2017, 02:23 PM   #1
SoundGuyChris
Human being with feelings

Default VST3 Plugins suddenly do not scan, and crash on load

I got some new plugs the other day and added them to my D:\VST 64 folder.

I cleared cache and rescanned, and Reaper hung on some plugin and eventually crashed (I think it was the eventide Blackhole.dll file)

Now, when I open Reaper, it tries to scan my VST3 files and hangs on each one. I can get around this by closing reaper and it'll scan again on the next run, hanging on the NEXT plugin (ie: hangs on Plugin A, close-restart, now it hangs on Plugin B). If I restart enough times, it makes it to the end of the list and tries to open my last project...It then hangs and won't load that project (it crashes on iZotope Insight which is the first plugin on my master bus)

I've been losing far too much time at work and really hope I can get some help here. The problem came up very suddenly. :/
SoundGuyChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:52 PM   #2
Goldreap

Going by your other recent post "Filter Out Duplicate Plugins", it sounds like you might have moved something, and that is causing problems. Most plugs can indeed be moved around but I've read that with certain plugs they need to stay where you installed them (something to do with registry entries).
For a start, to get Reaper up and running, open it with FX offline (recovery mode)...see that option at the bottom of the opening window. Then maybe remove from the project any FX that you think you have moved recently...etc.
Regarding organizing where to put things, I'll go back to your other post and have a think about how to help..it's a messy subject and difficult to explain succinctly (and people have their own ways of doing it all).
Hope this helps.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:57 PM   #3
SoundGuyChris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldreap View Post
Going by your other recent post "Filter Out Duplicate Plugins", it sounds like you might have moved something, and that is causing problems.
Close, but not quite. I was just coming off of a fresh install and wanted to clean up a little bit. I upgraded from Win7 to 10, and wiped the whole drive. This time around, all of my plugins have been installed from scratch to a single set of directories (namely: D:\VST 64 and D:\VST 32) when given the option to do so. A few things like Waves went to their own little spots. On my old installation of Reaper, I had everything put into folders and neatly squared away and was hoping to just filter out what I didn't need this time around to avoid having to constantly maintain it.

This seemed to just happen out of nowhere after I installed FabFilter Pro-L. I just hit clear cache and rescan and the drama started - everything was working fine before I hit the button. It's actually not even the first time this happened to me...last time it was iZotope plugins in particular were crashing. This time it seemed to be a lot more plugins were affected, from a variety of manufacturers

Last edited by SoundGuyChris; 09-13-2017 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 09-13-2017, 03:10 PM   #4
Goldreap

Hmm, what a nightmare. Two things come to mind. Maybe your plugs should be at least on your OS drive, and maybe it's best to have VST3 in the default common files. I don't know for sure, just a general feeling I have, based on what I've read over the years.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:42 PM   #5
SoundGuyChris

Default Some Progress!

While far from ideal, if I uncheck "Get VST names/types when scanning", it succeeds reliably.

Unfortunately, I then wind up with a bunch of missing plugins - particularly notable are the dozens from Waves because it only sees the "WaveShell" or whatever that dumb wrapper thing is called. On top of that, a lot of plugins are more ambiguously named or don't include the manufacturer in the title anymore, which was handy for organization/filtering before.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:36 PM   #6
richie43

Most VST's can be installed to any customized location. But VST3 seem to need the default locations to work properly (in my experience). have you tried reinstalling just the vst3 plugins and let them install to the default vst3 location?
Old 09-13-2017, 09:19 PM   #7
SoundGuyChris

Default Clarification RE: VST3 Location

Sorry, I should have been clearer - the VST3 plugin's are in their correct, default directory, under program files/common files/VST3! It's a good thing to double-check though! I only specified the location of the 64bit plugin because the plugin I installed went to that D:\VST 64 folder.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:34 AM   #8
pryere

Why are choosing VST3? AFAIK, VST2 is all you need. I did a major clean up of all my VST's recently and found that 3 causes unnecessary problems. Native Instruments suggest to use 2. There are others.

Some manufacturers insist that they live on the OS drive.
I suspect that is your main problem.

External drives are fine for sample libraries etc.

Hope this helps.

Peace
pryere is offline   Reply With Quote