Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 12-20-2016, 09:40 AM   #41
sproost
Human being with feelings

Default Midi export remembering last visited folder

Just a minor thing and I hope I'm not repeating anyone, but it would make more sense if exporting midi would remember the last folder saved in.

Every midi export, even within 1 session, resets the base folder resulting in having to browse to the desired folder each time.
sproost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 04:32 AM   #42
Mordi

Just discovered this thread. This is fantastic! Kudos to juliansader for keeping it updated.
Mordi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 03:08 PM   #43
David Perry

I looked at the first page and didn't see this OLD bug (first reported in 2010). Confirmed by me to still exist:

All muted notes in MIDI items disappear (seem to be deleted but maybe just hidden from view?) whenever any gluing is done involving the items.

This is a big problem, IMO because if you do any gluing, like for instance putting different phrase fragments together, you really can't hold any notes over as muted notes or you lose them. Makes muting much less useful.
David Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 03:22 PM   #44
dimitris

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Perry View Post
I looked at the first page and didn't see this OLD bug (first reported in 2010). Confirmed by me to still exist:

All muted notes in MIDI items disappear (seem to be deleted but maybe just hidden from view?) whenever any gluing is done involving the items.

This is a big problem, IMO because if you do any gluing, like for instance putting different phrase fragments together, you really can't hold any notes over as muted notes or you lose them. Makes muting much less useful.
Confirmed. Nasty bug. Has it really been there since 2010, or did it reappear?
dimitris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 04:19 PM   #45
X-Raym

@David Perry, @dimitris

Quote:
All muted notes in MIDI items disappear whenever any gluing is done involving the items.
This is by design :/

But there is a script out there which allows glueing preserving muted MIDI notes.

Look for Script: Breeder_spk77_GlueTools.lua in Reapack.

It also allows to preserve color and other items properties.
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 04:21 PM   #46
juliansader

Thanks for letting me know - I have added the bug to the list.

Schwa mentions the reasoning behind the deletion of muted notes in the old thread Glueing midi items drops muted notes, but I also think that it should be changed.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 04:36 PM   #47
David Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
@David Perry, @dimitris

This is by design :/

But there is a script out there which allows glueing preserving muted MIDI notes.

Look for Script: Breeder_spk77_GlueTools.lua in Reapack.

It also allows to preserve color and other items properties.
Ok, great, thanks. I'll look in ReaPack.

I can't tell if you're joking about it being by design, but if it is it shouldn't be.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:37 PM   #48
David Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
Thanks for letting me know - I have added the bug to the list.

Schwa mentions the reasoning behind the deletion of muted notes in the old thread Glueing midi items drops muted notes, but I also think that it should be changed.
Absolutely it should be changed. it makes no sense to delete anything you didn't tell it to delete.

Add this also to the list of Reaper defaults that make little sense.

I adore Justin and wish no ill on him but I've felt and still feel he doesn't understand MIDI very well. I hope that evolves in a better way.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:18 PM   #49
EvilDragon

It IS by design (as explained by schwa there). And it does make sense. When you glue audio items, some of which are muted, would you expect them to be unmuted in the glued result? Of course you wouldn't - doing such glue operation will result in only audible items being glued, and those that are muted will be silent (as expected). This is just MIDI following the same line of thought.

Also Justin isn't the one doing the MIDI side of the things, for the greater part, it's schwa.

Well thankfully it can be worked around with scripts, so...
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:43 PM   #50
David Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
It IS by design (as explained by schwa there). And it does make sense. When you glue audio items, some of which are muted, would you expect them to be unmuted in the glued result? Of course you wouldn't - doing such glue operation will result in only audible items being glued, and those that are muted will be silent (as expected). This is just MIDI following the same line of thought.

Also Justin isn't the one doing the MIDI side of the things, for the greater part, it's schwa.

Well thankfully it can be worked around with scripts, so...
I still disagree. What is the purpose of muting anyway? Why not just delete all notes you want to be silent to begin with? Why even use muting?

Obviously if you have any purpose to use a mute function this isn't something you want the software to decide for you if that mute state will be preserved AS YOU designated it. You want to decide that yourself (i.e. whether or not to preserve muted notes) and that includes before and after a gluing function.

I glue clips ALL the time in the process of joining sections of work together and I DO want to preserve muted notes for possible future use even after gluing. Without the workaround this would be a serious problem for me. It's not something I've used in the past but I plan to use it in the future based on some new uses for muted notes I have.

As to the point of Justin not handling MIDI development personally, that reinforces my point. I wish he personally was more aware/motivated to develop and understand the MIDI and sequencing side of his product. I feel it wouldn't be in the partially formed (and bug filled) state it lingers in for years if he was more involved.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:44 AM   #51
EvilDragon

Well, and there you have it, v5.32 will preserve muted notes when glueing/consolidating.

Last edited by EvilDragon; 01-05-2017 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:18 PM   #52
cjaxis

Default MIDI Recording/Quantization bug

Steps to reproduce:

1. Start play and then press record MIDI, so left edge of MIDI item not start on grid division.
2. Quantize recorded notes 100% by grid.
3. Zoom in maximum to left edge of any quantized note.
4. See that note start is not on grid, a bit earlier or later.
5. Snap left edge of item to grid and glue.
6. Now see on notes like in p.4 - they now start on grid.

cjaxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:26 PM   #53
carbon

Default Docked Editor Display Glitch

Docked MIDI Editor not positioned correctly until resized:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=186493

EDIT: Happens only if a second monitor (a TV) is connected via HDMI.

Last edited by carbon; 05-26-2017 at 06:47 AM.
carbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:39 PM   #54
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjaxis View Post
Steps to reproduce:

1. Start play and then press record MIDI, so left edge of MIDI item not start on grid division.
This is not actually a bug: As per MIDI specifications, MIDI events can only fall on discrete tick positions, counted from the start of the item. So if your item does not start on a grid position, the ticks *inside* the item may not correspond to the project's grid.

More info in Comprehensive ELP MIDI rounding problem thread (FIXED) and Error MIDI editor in Reaper (FIXED).
Old 01-25-2017, 02:06 PM   #55
dimitris

Quote:
This is not actually a bug: As per MIDI specifications, MIDI events can only fall on discrete tick positions, counted from the start of the item. So if your item does not start on a grid position, the ticks *inside* the item may not correspond to the project's grid.

More info in Comprehensive ELP MIDI rounding problem thread (FIXED) and Error MIDI editor in Reaper (FIXED).
Hi,

Tick sync is understandable but in which case item-based ticks are more beneficial than project-based ticks? The distinction seems to cause problems only. To overcome, lots of tedious work is needed... max zooming in and out, snapping items to grid lines, etc.

Thanks,
Dimitris

Last edited by dimitris; 01-29-2017 at 02:23 AM.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:25 PM   #56
X-Raym

@juliansader
A bit of topic,
but your MIDI Bestiary thread inspired me a ReaComics Strip :P
Cockos Confederated Forums - View Single Post - ReaComics: A WebComics about REAPER and its community
Thx again for your work with MIDI bug reports !
Old 01-29-2017, 01:52 AM   #57
juliansader

Woohoo! I have been immortalized in a comic!

If all REAPER's MIDI bugs get fixed, will my character gain a superpower?

"Don't lose hope Julian, they may be working on your MIDI bugs at this time, as we speak."
Old 01-29-2017, 04:07 AM   #58
X-Raym

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader
If all REAPER's MIDI bugs get fixed, will my character gain a superpower?
We don't know julian, we don't know... :P
Old 01-30-2017, 07:36 AM   #59
dimitris

I think that snapping midi notes to MIDI item ticks is wrong. Quantizing to grid, one expects to get just that: quantize to grid - without offset caused by the MIDI item borders. To see your quantized note half a tick to the left/right of the grid line makes no sense. It causes problems too. An example is using a keyswitch, a function present in most sample libraries. Usually, a keyswitch check is performed when a musical note is triggered and switches to the sample group (articulation) indicated by the keyswitch note. Offsets, even as small as the ones created by item-based tick snapping, may break this function. You wouldn't even guess why, as the key press appears quantized at normal viewing range. Only if zoomed in all the way would you notice the tick offset. And to fix you would probably chose to move the note manually (how would you know that this is caused by the MIDI item left edge not being snapped to the timeline ticks?), which means that if you quantize the notes later the function would break again.

Last edited by dimitris; 02-03-2017 at 05:39 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-03-2017, 05:33 AM   #60
vitalker

Julian, what can you say about this bug: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=3625 ?
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 03:04 AM   #61
juliansader

MIDI bug fixing has been on the back burner for the past few releases, but it is not cause for complaint, since the devs are working on other exciting new MIDI features such as CC lane renaming and articulation mapping.

However, I think it may be wise to fix some of the bugs that are most pertinent to orchestral composing, before releasing the articulation mapping. I expect that many orchestral composers will demo REAPER as soon as articulation mapping is available, and it will pay to make the best possible first impression.

If I may venture a guess, the tempo envelope / time signature bugs will probably be the biggest workflow killers, since orchestral compositions employ lots of subtle tempo variations. (Moreso than other genres, I think.) Also relevant are the FRs to separate tempo changes and time signature markers.

Last edited by juliansader; 02-10-2017 at 12:08 AM.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:22 AM   #62
dimitris

Definitely not complaining here, you guys have done tremendous work! Just reporting problems that I experience - because I know you care.

New features sound very interesting!!
Old 02-15-2017, 04:43 PM   #63
Lokasenna

@juliansader - As per our discussion about it a week or two ago, I would suggest that In "Position and note length" mode, Quantize can not shorten notes is not actually Solved - the old behavior went away without any mention in the changelog, and it had already been available via "Note Ends" if memory serves.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:47 PM   #64
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
@David Perry, @dimitris

This is by design :/.
And technically, that makes it not a bug, true. Having said that, removing notes just because they're muted, when you merge two clips, has no practical purpose at all. It makes sense that if the user didn't delete them before he still wants them there for some reason and a daw should probably never assume things like that and throw away musical data.

It's not a bug because they never coded it to do that in the first place, and granted, there's legions of daw users who never quite get that clear distinction, but it is .. (arguably) semi-illogical behavior.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:21 PM   #65
nofish

^^^
Quote:
v5.32 - January 17 2017
+ MIDI: preserve muted events during glue

(agreed to your post btw., so I'm happy it finally got changed)
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:48 PM   #66
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
^^^

(agreed to your post btw., so I'm happy it finally got changed)

Cool.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:46 PM   #67
blumpy

Default Video playback stunted after opening Subproject.

Video playback has been jerky the last few updates but it seems as if its only after opening a subproject. After that I have to restart reaper to fix.
blumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 01:57 AM   #68
EvilDragon

And what has that to do with MIDI?
Old 02-20-2017, 11:14 AM   #69
Amack

Default Adequate Bug Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amack View Post
I believe that Reaper does not properly compensate MIDI for ASIO audio interface latency. The delay applied to live MIDI inputs that trigger Internal Virtual Instruments (Vis) is apparently determined by the ASIO buffer size rather than by the interface’s reported input latency. Also, live MIDI outputs are delayed by the sum of the interface’s reported input and output latencies rather than just its reported output latency.

DAW audio inputs and outputs are delayed by the audio interface’s input and output latencies. Since MIDI inputs aren’t, Reaper apparently adds delay to MIDI inputs and outputs in an attempt keep things synchronized during monitoring, recording, and playback. As shown in the attachment, Reaper delays MIDI input track recordings and any associated MIDI outputs by the reported input latency of the audio interface, but (incorrectly) only delays the triggering of internal virtual instruments (Vis) by the interface’s buffer size equivalency. This causes internal VIs to be prematurely triggered by the difference between the interface’s input latency and its buffer size equivalency during monitoring and recording. Also, rather than properly delaying MIDI outputs by the reported output latency of the interface, Reaper delays them by the sum of the reported input and output latencies. External VIs triggered by these MIDI outputs would experience an extra delay equal to the reported input latency during monitoring, recording, and playback.

Test Procedure
For this demonstration, a Roland TD-15K V-drum served as a MIDI (via USB) and audio (via audio output) source. ASIO4ALL was used with the computer’s internal sound “card” as the audio interface. A 1st generation Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 was used as a MIDI loopback device.

A microphone was used to trigger one of the TD-15 drum pads. Although it was recorded on Track 8, the TD-15’s audio was used as the time reference instead because it was quite well synchronized with the TD-15’s MIDI.
TD-15 MIDI was recorded on Track 1. TD-15 Audio was recorded on Track 2 and monitored and externally looped back for recording on Track 3.
TD-15 MIDI also triggered a MT-PowerDrumKit VSTi on Track 4. The VSTi’s output was monitored and externally looped back for recording on Track 5.
TD-15 MIDI was also output to the 6i6 on Track 6 for monitoring, external loopback, and recording on Track 7.

Both recordings were configured to “Use audio driver reported latency”. The first was with ASIO4ALL reporting latencies reflective of the actual input and output latencies. The second was with ASIO4ALL reporting incorrect latencies to demonstrate the problems.

Test Results
Track 1’s second recording shows that the MIDI input recording was delayed 20 milliseconds (ms) * 48k Samples/second (S/s) = 960S from that on the first recording – consistent with the reported input latency (ASIO4ALL’s “Latency Compensation In:”) increase.

The approximately 64 S (1.333 ms) delay between Track 3 and 5 in the first recording suggest that the triggering of the VSTi that produced Track 5 was delayed by the ASIO Buffer Size equivalency (2048 S / 48k S/s = 42.667 ms) rather than the total reported input latency (2048 S + 64 S) / 48k S/s + 1 ms = 45 ms. (This version of ASIO4ALL has and reports an additional 1 ms of input and output “Buffer Offset” latency over what is shown on its control panel slider.) The fact that Track 5 in the second recording experienced no additional delay verifies that.

Tracks 6 on the first recording shows that the MIDI input to output delay was the sum of the input buffer size equivalency and the reported output latency (42.667 + 45 = 87.667 ms). The second recording shows an additional delay of ~ 30 ms delay. The corresponding increase in reported latencies between the two recordings was (1024 + 512 – 2*64) S / 48k S/s = 29.33 ms (within the measurement accuracy).
Did I submit this "bug" report adequately and correctly?
Old 02-20-2017, 11:25 AM   #70
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amack View Post
Did I submit this "bug" report adequately and correctly?
Thank you for the detailed report! I have moved the report and its replies to a separate thread MIDI ASIO Latency Compensation Problems (REAPER v5.33/x64 Windows10), and I added it to the Bestiary.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:52 PM   #71
Amack

Quote:
Thank you for the detailed report! I have moved the report and its replies to a separate thread MIDI ASIO Latency Compensation Problems (REAPER v5.33/x64 Windows10), and I added it to the Bestiary.
Thank you sir! Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:43 PM   #72
X-Raym

@juliansader
Hi !
How can we sent you Private Message ?
Old 02-21-2017, 07:55 PM   #73
Tod

I've run into a problem with notes not showing the velocity and note names. At this point it's only one project, and I first noticed it today. It's strange, because there seems to be no way for me to get the velocity and note names back on.

I thought I'd post it here in case anyone else has run across it or knows why it's happening.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:26 AM   #74
Robert Johnson III

Quote:
If I may venture a guess, the tempo envelope / time signature bugs will probably be the biggest workflow killers, since orchestral compositions employ lots of subtle tempo variations.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByE...ew?usp=sharing

Don't dismiss the rock/pop guys/girls... Instead of recording I was chasing my tail with some of these issues the past few weeks. Those bugs are definitely workflow (switch DAW) killers.

REAPER is tweakers heaven, but the moment I press the record button I run into "trouble" (again).

https://soundcloud.com/mytopia

Last edited by Robert Johnson III; 04-25-2017 at 04:18 PM. Reason: include clip
Robert Johnson III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 01:50 PM   #75
Amack

Quote:
I just posted some more information on that thread.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:45 PM   #76
elcappucino

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjaxis View Post
Steps to reproduce:

This drives me absolutely crazy. This happens even when the MIDI item starts on the grid.

EDIT:

I think I know why this is happening:

It happens automatically when I select "record: input (audio or MIDI)."
Doesn't happen when selecting "record: MIDI overdub" or "record: output (MIDI)."

EDIT2: Ah, it only happens when recording with "preserve PDC delayed monitoring" though. Thanks btw, Julian.
Attached Images
File Type: png reaper strange.PNG (4.2 KB, 364 views)

Last edited by elcappucino; 05-24-2017 at 09:11 AM.
elcappucino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 07:46 AM   #77
ChrisBlue

Default Missing in Musical Notation

I am finding that sometimes when I punch-in with a pedal through the Nektar P1 when recording the Pianoteq5, there are apparent repeats of a note or chord in rapid succession like a quick echo (i.e. repeated almost instantaneously though only once ). I tried to edit this out by going into musical notation mode in the MIDI editor but there is no sign of the repeated note/chord so seemingly no way to remove it. Can anyone explain what's happening and suggest a solution please? Using 64 bit version of Pianoteq5 VSTi
ChrisBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 07:46 AM   #78
midiman007

Default Aftertouch Name

Ok I think I found an inconstancy in naming of midi events.
In the midi event view channel after touch is shown as channel after touch in the piano view it's named channel pressure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eventview.jpg (61.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Piano.View.jpg (59.3 KB, 17 views)
midiman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 05:28 PM   #79
midiman007

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiman007 View Post
Ok I think I found an inconstancy in naming of midi events.
In the midi event view channel after touch is shown as channel after touch in the piano view it's named channel pressure.
Thanks for the fix on pre 60.I thought this went unheard.

MIDI editor: label channel pressure messages consistently (not "channel aftertouch") p=1884306]

Please correct me if I am wrong but shouldn't it be called Channel Aftertouch?

I do not see Channel pressure on the midi cc list any where on the internet.

I think it should follow the industry standard midi names schema,

Also I think this might help from the thread I read that Justinlander was trying to move Reaper in the way of orchestration. Since that would be extensive wind instruments.

Last edited by midiman007; 09-17-2017 at 06:26 PM.
midiman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:00 AM   #80
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiman007 View Post
I do not see Channel pressure on the midi cc list any where on the internet.
You're not looking in the right places

https://www.midi.org/specifications/...f-midi-message

Polyphonic Key Pressure (Aftertouch)
Channel Pressure (Aftertouch)

So, the industry standard says it's fine to use both