Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2016, 06:39 AM   #1
insub
Human being with feelings
 
insub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Posts: 829
Default Bass Players: Recommend Starter Bass Guitar?

Needs to be inexpensive, but good enough for light, local gigging.

Genre: Alternative Rock
insub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 06:51 AM   #2
richie43
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 8,392
Default

Any of the Fender Squires and Tribute line from G&L (whatever suits your taste). Get even more for your money and buy used. I have amazing luck with Reverb.com.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz
Rather than try to carpet the world, put on some shoes.
http://soundyaudio.com/ The Sounds of the Hear and Now
richie43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:05 AM   #3
pipelineaudio
Mortal
 
pipelineaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wickenburg, Arizona
Posts: 11,432
Default

Not just a starter, but a finisher. Neck thru, 24 frets, active pickups, VERY kickass
Cheap as hell
http://www.rondomusic.com/eb970trgr3.html
__________________
REAPER Shirts are Back! - https://shop.spreadshirt.com/pipelineaudio/
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:22 AM   #4
zeekat
Human being with feelings
 
zeekat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Polandia
Posts: 1,748
Default

I'm very pleased with Ibanez SR 305, low mass and narrow neck makes playing rather effortless. Super ergonomic design. Altough I imagine it sucks for slap n pop (not much space between strings).
__________________
Making steady lateral progress in production quality
soundclouds|youtubes
zeekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:28 AM   #5
G-Sun
Human being with feelings
 
G-Sun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Norway
Posts: 6,132
Default

I like passive basses best in the lower price-range,
but depends on your rig.
__________________
Reaper x64, win 8.1
G-Sun.no - Music Blog - My music
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:34 AM   #6
insub
Human being with feelings
 
insub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Posts: 829
Default

Thanks, Richie.

This Squire Jaguar Short Scale seems like a good deal.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier/V...Short-Scale.gc

It's only $200 which is as good as most of the offerings on Reverb.com right now (after shipping). I'll look around Craigslist locally too.

What do you think about short-scale? Is that a good transition for a guitarist or keyboardist (like me)?

I can play a little guitar and have dabbled in bass with my last band.
insub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:38 AM   #7
insub
Human being with feelings
 
insub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Posts: 829
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
I like passive basses best in the lower price-range,
but depends on your rig.
Passive should be fine. I have a Studio Projects VTB1 that I'll be using as the preamp. In my last band we switched from using the instrument input on my MOTU 828 MKII to using an ART Tube MP Studio and the difference was night & day. The bass player couldn't believe how much better it sounded going through that cheap-ass preamp versus the direct instrument input of the 828.
insub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:44 AM   #8
insub
Human being with feelings
 
insub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Posts: 829
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
Not just a starter, but a finisher. Neck thru, 24 frets, active pickups, VERY kickass
Cheap as hell
http://www.rondomusic.com/eb970trgr3.html
This one seems awesome. Neck through, dual humbuckers, tone controls.
Can't say I care for the green color though. But, dang... price/options ratio is unbelievable.
insub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:48 AM   #9
insub
Human being with feelings
 
insub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Posts: 829
Default

Why 5-string?
insub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:02 AM   #10
zeekat
Human being with feelings
 
zeekat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Polandia
Posts: 1,748
Default

It's 20% more bass!
__________________
Making steady lateral progress in production quality
soundclouds|youtubes
zeekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:04 AM   #11
insub
Human being with feelings
 
insub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Posts: 829
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
It's 20% more bass!
LOL, or is it 25% more bass???

Really, I don't know how much a beginner will take advantage of the 5th string. It will be me or my guitarist buddy playing it due to trouble finding a reliable bass player nearby.
insub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:08 AM   #12
RustyAxe
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Connecticut, USA
Posts: 37
Default

Any of the Squier CV (classic vibe) or VM (vintage modified) will do the trick for low bucks. I bought a Squier Jag VM (full scale) in mint condition, used, for just $80. A quick setup and fine adjustments, and a set of flatwound strings, and I was amazed at how good it played and sounded. While I bought it to use for open mics and jams where someone else could use it without me stressin' out ... it could handle any gig I play.

You could also find Fender MIM basses used for around $300-400. I use a MIM Jazz as my main giggin' bass, and have for years.

I have one short scale bass, a Fender Coronado, and it's been sitting in its case for a couple of years, virtually unplayed. Just don't care for the short scale.

I also play guitar (acoustic fingerstyle) and keys.
RustyAxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:16 AM   #13
pipelineaudio
Mortal
 
pipelineaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wickenburg, Arizona
Posts: 11,432
Default

Here's a 4 string. http://www.rondomusic.com/EB511trwr.html
Not neck thru, but has an all access neck joint, and very light, 24 frets

Dean used to have a bass version of their unbelievable value Vendetta XM, but I haven't seen one listed for a while
__________________
REAPER Shirts are Back! - https://shop.spreadshirt.com/pipelineaudio/
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:22 AM   #14
pipelineaudio
Mortal
 
pipelineaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wickenburg, Arizona
Posts: 11,432
Default

Here's a really nice GFS http://www.guitarfetish.com/DLX-Bass...e_p_18356.html
__________________
REAPER Shirts are Back! - https://shop.spreadshirt.com/pipelineaudio/
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:24 AM   #15
ivansc
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Cambridge UK and Near Questembert, France
Posts: 15,651
Default

Bass player for a VERY long time here. My first one was a used Precision bass that I bought in 1963.

The safe option is always going to be a precision or a jazz bass, and as has already been mentioned some of the squiers are absolutely outstanding value.

But begore you buy, do go into a shop somehwere and make sure you can get around the neck on a full scale bass.
The Jaguars and similar short scale basses are easier to play initially, but you will not generally get as good a bass sound from anything less than 34" scale bass as a beginner player.

That said I played a little Cort Action Jr at a jam recently and was amazed at how good it played and sounded for a short scale bass
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cort-Action.../dp/B00G4SHW0I
__________________
UK and USA: Our leaders MAY be buffoons but they are still dangerous buffoons.
ivansc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:48 AM   #16
jerome_oneil
Human being with feelings
 
jerome_oneil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 4,504
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Bass player for a VERY long time here. My first one was a used Precision bass that I bought in 1963.

The safe option is always going to be a precision or a jazz bass, and as has already been mentioned some of the squiers are absolutely outstanding value.

I second this assessment. Jazz and precision basses are the jack of all trade basses, and masters of a hell of a lot.

I'm not fond of the squires, though.

And can you define "inexpensive?"
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:52 AM   #17
Reason
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 301
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by insub View Post
Thanks, Richie.

This Squire Jaguar Short Scale seems like a good deal.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier/V...Short-Scale.gc

It's only $200 which is as good as most of the offerings on Reverb.com right now (after shipping). I'll look around Craigslist locally too.

What do you think about short-scale? Is that a good transition for a guitarist or keyboardist (like me)?

I can play a little guitar and have dabbled in bass with my last band.
I'd go with a full scale bass. Here's a pretty comprehensive writeup:
http://www.bassplayer.com/gear/1164/...e-basses/58704

The longer length as compared to a guitar does have a few challenges, but it's also great training for guitar as it will feel like an easily manipulated toy when you go back to guitar. I'm of the opinion that longer strings at higher tension just sounds better, too.

As a metalhead and someone who likes sub-bass and deep tones, I'd recommend a 5 string, but there's nothing wrong with a goo 4 string.

That Rondo comes in red, too, although I don't think it's much of an improvement over the green. I don't think they have the best reputation but probably fit the bill. Here's a review:
https://spinditty.com/instruments-ge...w-SX-vs-Squier
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:52 AM   #18
richie43
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 8,392
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome_oneil View Post
I'm not fond of the squires, though.
They are really a hit-or-miss thing (in my experience). I have played some Squires that rivaled or did better than the more expensive "real" Fenders. But I had to try many to find the one!
I again highly suggest G&L. I like to say that G&L and more Fender than Fender....Leo was able to do things he was never allowed to do when he owned Fender. Plus he had many more years of experience and innovation by then. Amazing values.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz
Rather than try to carpet the world, put on some shoes.
http://soundyaudio.com/ The Sounds of the Hear and Now
richie43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:55 AM   #19
Cosmic
Human being with feelings
 
Cosmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Online
Posts: 4,612
Default

Squier Precision . Used. Rock.
__________________
it aint worth a bop,if it dont got that pop
Cosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:17 AM   #20
insub
Human being with feelings
 
insub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Posts: 829
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome_oneil View Post
And can you define "inexpensive?"
< $300 USD is preferred
insub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:32 AM   #21
jerome_oneil
Human being with feelings
 
jerome_oneil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 4,504
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by insub View Post
< $300 USD is preferred
Craigslist may be your friend.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:36 AM   #22
insub
Human being with feelings
 
insub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Posts: 829
Default

I'm looking at Craigslist right now.

Currently, there's a Mexican Fender Jazz Bass at what looks like one of the pawn shops for $90. But, the condition can't be discerned from the two tiny pictures.

EDIT: That listing was a hoax to drive traffic to some other website. There aren't many listings right now and most of them >$200. There is one vintage 5-string Squire, unknown model, with hard case for $200 though.
http://louisville.craigslist.org/msg/5768606672.html

Last edited by insub; 10-07-2016 at 10:04 AM.
insub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:50 AM   #23
tgraph
Human being with feelings
 
tgraph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 425
Default

Buying a first bass can be a problem.. because you need to go play it and try it out for feel and sound.. and yet you don't always have the skills to try a wide range of styles.. Or may not know how to judge the feel of the thing... Maybe take an experienced player with you to give it a better test run...
tgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:01 AM   #24
insub
Human being with feelings
 
insub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Posts: 829
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgraph View Post
Buying a first bass can be a problem.. because you need to go play it and try it out for feel and sound.. and yet you don't always have the skills to try a wide range of styles.. Or may not know how to judge the feel of the thing... Maybe take an experienced player with you to give it a better test run...
I would take a bassist with me if I had one available.

I don't have much chops, but I did play a Fender acoustic/electric bass (don't know what model) for a few months with my last band. We were playing mostly acoustic/bluegrass at the time, so really simple bass lines were fine. I think they mostly wanted me to use the bass to keep time since the drummer was AWOL at the time.

I remember my left hand wanting to cramp some. I had a hard time stretching my fingers across four frets at the top. Probably, just because I was new at it and not conditioned to playing a bass. This was why I was considering a short-scale. I don't have any trouble reaching my arm out and my hands are kind of average size and average length fingers for a guy of average stature (5'9"). I thought that a short scale might make it easier for a part-time player.
insub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:09 AM   #25
jerome_oneil
Human being with feelings
 
jerome_oneil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 4,504
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by insub View Post
I'm looking at Craigslist right now.

Currently, there's a Mexican Fender Jazz Bass at what looks like one of the pawn shops for $90. But, the condition can't be discerned from the two tiny pictures.

EDIT: That listing was a hoax to drive traffic to some other website. There aren't many listings right now and most of them >$200. There is one vintage 5-string Squire, unknown model, with hard case for $200 though.
http://louisville.craigslist.org/msg/5768606672.html
For a 1st bass, buy a 4 string. Particularly if you're coming over from guitar. That low B will loop you.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:22 AM   #26
McPBrain
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 34
Default

There is an excellent condition used Squier Jazz bass at the Louisville Guitar Center for $175 according to GC's website....
McPBrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:24 AM   #27
brainwreck
Human being with feelings
 
brainwreck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The 90's
Posts: 18,136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason View Post
I don't think they have the best reputation but probably fit the bill. Here's a review:
https://spinditty.com/instruments-ge...w-SX-vs-Squier
Specifically on SX, I ordered a pj style some years back for scratching down some bass tracks (I'm a guitar player). The bad: The neck shape is overly fat and generally uncomfortable. The fret wire is softer than anything I have seen before. Practicing some slapping licks when I first got it actually lightly indented the winds of the strings into the fretwire in some places, later turning into some pretty gnarly scratches in the fretwire. The bridge rings like typical cheap stamped bridges do. The good: The pickups aren't bad at all and are very open sounding (likely not potted). All in all, I wouldn't recommend SX.

On Squires guitars/basses, the pickups on every one that I have played sucked, even the classic vibe stuff. Same goes for the cheap Ibanezes and most other low end guitars/basses. But I have played some low end Jackson guitars/basses that had pretty decent pickups.

Whatever you get, make sure that the neck feels ok (you won't get a great neck in a low end guitar/bass) and the pickups sound good. If neither of these are true, you won't want to play the thing much. On pickups, compare to higher end guitars and listen for muddiness, thinness, and overly focused midrange (lows/mids/highs out of balanace).

I am far and away from liking the looks of metal styled guitars, but I think that a low end Jackson bass would be hard to beat at $300, pissing all over any Squier. The bass player in my band is transitioning away from metal to rock, and at the moment his low end Jackson is the only 4 string that he has. It plays and sounds excellent, with a comfortable neck, heavy bridge, and good clarity and tone in the pickups.
__________________
The media are misleading the public about...pretty much everything.
brainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:38 AM   #28
karbomusic
Human being with feelings
 
karbomusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 19,086
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
It's 20% more bass!
It's 20% more reason for the bass player to forget what he is supposed to be doing.
__________________
Your whole life people will tell you what you can't do. Getting past them is the first step to actually getting things done.
karbomusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:01 AM   #29
pipelineaudio
Mortal
 
pipelineaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wickenburg, Arizona
Posts: 11,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason View Post
The Ursa is as different a bass from the one I linked as Rondo's Douglas is vs Rondo's Agiles, which is a bit weird as Rondo's Douglas basses are pretty damn good.
__________________
REAPER Shirts are Back! - https://shop.spreadshirt.com/pipelineaudio/
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:17 AM   #30
pipelineaudio
Mortal
 
pipelineaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wickenburg, Arizona
Posts: 11,432
Default

Don't get stuck in the "Fenders are the best" type of thinking that will just be crippling. If you want a fender, by all means get a fender, but if what you want is a "good" bass, its more important to make sure you define what that means to you.

For me, I want 24 frets, that rules most fenders out off the bat

I want decent pickup output and low noise, again ,that strangely, rules out most of the expensive fenders and leaves in a lot of the cheaper ones...I guess tradition is the rule of all evil yada yada...

I want easy neck access near the neck joint, again, fender is out the window on this

I want a uniform neck, or as close to it as possible, and again, fender as far as I know has never made anything like this

My back wall has a bunch of guitars, a real ESP USA that cost just under 5,000 dollars back when gas was less than a dollar a gallon, a 2200$ Carvin, and three different Rondos, a douglas 725 ($189), an agile interceptor 727 ($315) and an agile interceptor pro 728 ($425). I play the Agile 728 99% of the time. The fenders sit in the big room where things are much more prone to theft and abuse
__________________
REAPER Shirts are Back! - https://shop.spreadshirt.com/pipelineaudio/
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:14 PM   #31
biggator
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 110
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
Not just a starter, but a finisher. Neck thru, 24 frets, active pickups, VERY kickass
Cheap as hell
http://www.rondomusic.com/eb970trgr3.html
+1 on the rondo music stuff.. I think their higher end basses are under the 'Brice' line.. so not sure on the Hadean.

I have two of their Agile guitars and they're fantastic.
biggator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 01:27 PM   #32
ivansc
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Cambridge UK and Near Questembert, France
Posts: 15,651
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
I again highly suggest G&L. I like to say that G&L and more Fender than Fender....Leo was able to do things he was never allowed to do when he owned Fender. Plus he had many more years of experience and innovation by then. Amazing values.
Forgot to agree on the G&L range.
I have a real American ASAT from 1991 and it is quite simple the nicest un-Telecaster I have ever played.
Havent tried a tribute bass but they HAVE to be well worth considering.
__________________
UK and USA: Our leaders MAY be buffoons but they are still dangerous buffoons.
ivansc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 01:33 PM   #33
ivansc
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Cambridge UK and Near Questembert, France
Posts: 15,651
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
Don't get stuck in the "Fenders are the best" type of thinking that will just be crippling. If you want a fender, by all means get a fender, but if what you want is a "good" bass, its more important to make sure you define what that means to you.

For me, I want 24 frets, that rules most fenders out off the bat

I want decent pickup output and low noise, again ,that strangely, rules out most of the expensive fenders and leaves in a lot of the cheaper ones...I guess tradition is the rule of all evil yada yada...

I want easy neck access near the neck joint, again, fender is out the window on this

I want a uniform neck, or as close to it as possible, and again, fender as far as I know has never made anything like this

My back wall has a bunch of guitars, a real ESP USA that cost just under 5,000 dollars back when gas was less than a dollar a gallon, a 2200$ Carvin, and three different Rondos, a douglas 725 ($189), an agile interceptor 727 ($315) and an agile interceptor pro 728 ($425). I play the Agile 728 99% of the time. The fenders sit in the big room where things are much more prone to theft and abuse
24 frets????? You do realise this is a BASS he wants to buy, Pipe?
And in the bass world there is a reason why people go with fender or fender-alike. They just work for so many genres right out the box. Unlike all the neck-thru carbon fibre monsters. About the only more modern design that has successfully made it into the "top ten" of good bass design is of course Musicman. I dont personally get on with them, but they are definitely a viable alternative. an OLP licenced copy used might fit if the Fender options dont work.
__________________
UK and USA: Our leaders MAY be buffoons but they are still dangerous buffoons.
ivansc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 01:46 PM   #34
pipelineaudio
Mortal
 
pipelineaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wickenburg, Arizona
Posts: 11,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
24 frets????? You do realise this is a BASS he wants to buy, Pipe?
And in the bass world there is a reason why people go with fender or fender-alike. They just work for so many genres right out the box. Unlike all the neck-thru carbon fibre monsters. About the only more modern design that has successfully made it into the "top ten" of good bass design is of course Musicman. I dont personally get on with them, but they are definitely a viable alternative. an OLP licenced copy used might fit if the Fender options dont work.
I realized he wanted a bass which is why I linked him to 24 fret basses. Its just easier for me to think patterns with the two full octaves, and generally 24 frets means two more "usable" frets before the heel, which is an even bigger problem on fenders compared to the basses I linked, as fenders have nasty heels for the most part.

It really depends what he wants to do and what he means by good. Every dollar he saves on a bass is a dollar he can spend on fretwork, which is most likely going to be an issue even if he spends 5000 on a bass.

I don't know what makes a fender work for any genre better than anything else, I am willing to bet the opposite is most likely true

If you are talking playability, it takes a high end fender to get the same low action out of the box as most of the better cheapies. If you are talking electronics, you are moving way into the fender high end before you equal a GFS, and then its more of a sideways move than better or worse.

I can't imagine a genre a carbon fiber neck thru would have trouble with, it would probably be superior in every way to any traditional bass.
__________________
REAPER Shirts are Back! - https://shop.spreadshirt.com/pipelineaudio/
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 02:56 PM   #35
ivansc
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Cambridge UK and Near Questembert, France
Posts: 15,651
Default

Sorry - overlooked the "for me" in your post.

Don't usually find too many working bass players venturing that far up the dusty end of the fretboard - that is why there's guitarists, isnt it?

And you could drive a truck under the strings on my workhorse PJ bass that I played for thirty odd years before I retired. Still comes out regularly, as it records like a dream with never a clank or scrape that I don't want it to make, even if the neck IS like a banana.

But of course "horses for courses".
__________________
UK and USA: Our leaders MAY be buffoons but they are still dangerous buffoons.

Last edited by ivansc; 10-07-2016 at 03:03 PM.
ivansc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:06 PM   #36
TheMaartian
Human being with feelings
 
TheMaartian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Flagstaff, AZ
Posts: 174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
Any of the Fender Squires and Tribute line from G&L (whatever suits your taste). Get even more for your money and buy used. I have amazing luck with Reverb.com.
+1 on the G&L Tribute series. I have an Ascari GTS Tribute (MF exclusive tri-bucker), made in Indonesia. Stunning guitar for the money. Really unbelievable build quality at that price point. Sold on G&L anything. The SB-2, for example, lists at $599. Black Friday is coming!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/...ic-bass-guitar
http://www.glguitars.com/instruments..._new/index.asp
__________________
Intel i7 @ 3.4 GHz; Win10 x64; 16 GB RAM; SONAR Platinum; Reaper 5; Melodyne 4 Studio
Tascam US-16x08; Nektar Panorama P6; M-Audio BX8 D2; Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
NI K9U; XLN AD2, AK; AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, CP-2; Toontrack SD3, EZK2; Gig Performer
TheMaartian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:25 PM   #37
insub
Human being with feelings
 
insub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Posts: 829
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Forgot to agree on the G&L range.
I have a real American ASAT from 1991 and it is quite simple the nicest un-Telecaster I have ever played.
Havent tried a tribute bass but they HAVE to be well worth considering.
The G&L's are a bit out of my price range, even used.
insub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:25 PM   #38
Wolffman
Human being with feelings
 
Wolffman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Down Under
Posts: 2,059
Default

Great info in this thread.

A very good cheap bass is the Yamaha RBX 270 J, they are a p/J config and very flexible range of sounds available..
You can pick these up 2nd hand for under 200 bucks any day (in Australia that is )
i'm not sure on the street price in other countries but they aren't expensive.

I had one given to me by a friend who never plays it and i was amazed at how
well it played, and it sounds really good as well, it records very well, sits nicely
in the mix.
I also own a MusicMan and a P bass and that cheap yamaha holds its
own nicely against both of them.

Cheers.
__________________
" Serve the song "

https://soundcloud.com/wolffman7
Wolffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:28 PM   #39
pipelineaudio
Mortal
 
pipelineaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wickenburg, Arizona
Posts: 11,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
And you could drive a truck under the strings on my workhorse PJ bass that I played for thirty odd years before I retired. Still comes out regularly, as it records like a dream with never a clank or scrape that I don't want it to make, even if the neck IS like a banana.

But of course "horses for courses".
I won't argue with peoples' preferences! I have seen too many what I would consider "unplayable" guitars and basses play just fine in the right hands. All I really take issue with is when objective, measurable claims are made.
__________________
REAPER Shirts are Back! - https://shop.spreadshirt.com/pipelineaudio/
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:44 PM   #40
rcl
Human being with feelings
 
rcl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Bahia,Brazil
Posts: 586
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
Not just a starter, but a finisher. Neck thru, 24 frets, active pickups, VERY kickass
Cheap as hell
http://www.rondomusic.com/eb970trgr3.html


Holy @#$%!,

Have you actually held one of these. The features are outstanding. My concern would be a green neck wood that may twist with age and climate change. But WOW, for 200 its worth a gamble.
__________________
We didnt jump the fence because the grass was greener. We jumped it because it was a fence.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
rcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.