Old 11-18-2017, 02:15 PM   #1
Dehenry
Human being with feelings

Default Automation, parameter mapping, etc.

Hi,

I have a couple of different questions:

1. Touch automation mode does not seem to work properly with some older plugins, e.g. Synth1. If I move a knob in the plugin's UI when there is already an automation envelope that I want to overwrite, it jitters violently between the value read from that envelope and the position I set with the mouse. If I change the same parameter with the fader in the TCP it works as expected. Is this a known bug and is there a way to resolve that e.g. in the VST compatibility settings (I already tried that but maybe I didn't find that magic setting)?

2. How does the "auto crossfade enabled" option relate to the "no autofades" option in the item properties?

3. Is it possible to use a Midi or OSC controller with plugins so that by default e.g. the cutoff frequency of the filter is always mapped to the same knob on the controller permanently and in any (new) project so that the mapping only needs to be done once?

4. Why are the key commands for basic transport functions like play, stop, record different in the arrange and in the MIDI editor? I have assigned the enter key of my numeric keybord to "play", but in the MIDI editor it is not even possible to assign that key to "play".

5. I want the length of newly recorded MIDI items to be quantized e.g. to full bars so that I don't have to manually adjust the length after recording. And at the same time I want silence at the beginning and at the end (e.g. because I started the recording in bar one but only began playing in bar 3) to be cut away automatically. That is how Logic handles MIDI recordings. Is that possible in Reaper as well?

Thanks!

Dehenry
Old 11-18-2017, 02:38 PM   #2
foxAsteria

1. There's been a Synth1 update in the last year or so. I think it even went 64-bit.

2. Auto crossfades only come into play when your items overlap. Auto fade items just ensures they will sound smooth when they start or end (no pops).

3. Yea, but you have to save the plugin as an Fx Chain and always load it as one. Mpl has a new script that might help, but I haven't tested it yet (LearnManager).

4. If you want your key commands to remain the same while using the MIDI editor, assign them to the "pass through to main window" action in ME. It's a silly necessity imo, but you'll soon get used to it.

5. You have to use time selections if you want that to happen. You can put the cursor wherever and then only record inside the time selection if you right click the record button and use time selection auto punch. The actual recording will begin at the cursor, but whatever is not in the time selection will be automatically trimmed. You can also separate the loop from the time selection if you want loops to be bigger than the section you are recording.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:56 PM   #3
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
3. Yea, but you have to save the plugin as an Fx Chain and always load it as one. Mpl has a new script that might help, but I haven't tested it yet (LearnManager).
Or track template.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 03:00 PM   #4
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehenry View Post
5. I want the length of newly recorded MIDI items to be quantized e.g. to full bars so that I don't have to manually adjust the length after recording. And at the same time I want silence at the beginning and at the end (e.g. because I started the recording in bar one but only began playing in bar 3) to be cut away automatically. That is how Logic handles MIDI recordings. Is that possible in Reaper as well?
Did not try anything myself, but I am guessing through a combination of actions it should be possible achieving the exact behaviour you are looking for, if not possible using some magic settings. Or some new actions need to be developed. In short, yes, it should be possible somehow, if not now, in future. Maybe some other logic users created anything similar, they could reply here?
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 04:13 PM   #5
Dehenry

Quote:
1. There's been a Synth1 update in the last year or so. I think it even went 64-bit.
I think I have the latest version and also tried the 64-bit one a while ago, but that was even worse. But will try again.

Quote:
2. Auto crossfades only come into play when your items overlap. Auto fade items just ensures they will sound smooth when they start or end (no pops).
Sometimes when I switched of auto crossfades, Reaper still did auto crossfades when I moved one audio item over another. It only stopped when I also enabled "no auto fades". And right now I have the opposite behaviour: Auto crossfades is on and "no auto fades" is off, but Reaper does not do crossfades. Strange...

Quote:
4. If you want your key commands to remain the same while using the MIDI editor, assign them to the "pass through to main window" action in ME. It's a silly necessity imo, but you'll soon get used to it.
Where can I find that option?

Quote:
5. You have to use time selections if you want that to happen. You can put the cursor wherever and then only record inside the time selection if you right click the record button and use time selection auto punch. The actual recording will begin at the cursor, but whatever is not in the time selection will be automatically trimmed. You can also separate the loop from the time selection if you want loops to be bigger than the section you are recording.
Not exactly what I want because sometimes you don't know how Long the recording will/should be, but good to know anyway - thanks!
Old 11-18-2017, 04:45 PM   #6
foxAsteria

Ok so I was thinking of the fade option in preferences. The one you're talking about is for disabling auto crossfades when the global option is on, so you can make sure certain items are immune. The global option button can also be right clicked to enable trim behind. That might change the behavior to work as you expect. There are more crossfade options to try in Preferences>Editing Behavior.

For the "pass through" action, open MIDI Editor and then the actions list (make sure it says "MIDI Editor" in the top right dropdown) and search for the action. Assign the key you want to pass through as a shortcut there.

If you don't want to record with time selection you can still use it later to trim your items more easily, or just turn on the grid and use split.

What you describe with the automation is odd, but I'd wager it's something to do with the settings in Prefs>Editing behavior>Automation.