Old 08-22-2006, 08:24 AM   #1
spherop
Human being with feelings

Default Feature Idea: In Track Looping

Not sure if this has been discussed - apologies if so.

And not sure if another DAW implements this yet or not - certainly not Cubase which is my main tool currently.

In Track Looping ...

User can setup a region or object within a single track as the track-loop-region and turn on for that track loop mode. Then that track will only play that region-loooping continuously, ignoring any other sound data on the track both before or after the loop-region. Any track can have its own loop region can have loop mode turned on or off. Visually, a track in loop mode, might show a repeated ghosting of the region.

OK, before anyone says, why not just copy and paste the region across the whole track or a new track? The answer is because it takes so much frickin time!

Why is this useful? I know we all have different arrangement, composition processes, but for me and I would imagine quite a number of musician/producers out there, one key process is to record a bunch of material on a track and then listen back for "moments that work". These phrases, riffs, groove elements, whatever - may then become key elements of what evolves as the essence of the song. Layers and layers of key elements pulled from performances can be built up to create the final arrangement. Normally this process involves a ton more steps than should be necessary. Finding parts and then copy/pasting them. Arggg. Also it is so time-consuming to just quickly audition key elements against different parts at different times in the arrangement.

In track looping allows any part of a track to be looped in playback over any other part of the timeline/arrangement. This is a HUGE time saver in a very common creative musical process.

Any DAW doing this exactly as I have described? I seem to remember possibly DP - doing this ...but not sure about that.

I would go nuts with joy if I had access to this functionality in a powerful well-designed DAW!! Thanks for listening....
spherop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 02:45 PM   #2
Art Evans
Mortal

Create a loop selection over the area you want to use for "in track looping" and select the item to be looped.

Right click, select "copy loop of selected area of items".

Place cursor at start of the loop and ensure the track is selected.

Paste.

Drag out the loop over the top of the other stuff on the track to the length required.

Seems quick and easy to me, and doesn't that do what you're asking?
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 02:48 PM   #3
spherop

interesting ...sounds like it might - have to try it myself. if it does - i will be thrilled.

thx for the help.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:08 PM   #4
spherop

Art,

I tried this - but the dragged loop does not "cover" other objects on the track. But maybe i am not doing this right. How does one ensure that the looped content drags above the other material?

thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Evans
Create a loop selection over the area you want to use for "in track looping" and select the item to be looped.

Right click, select "copy loop of selected area of items".

Place cursor at start of the loop and ensure the track is selected.

Paste.

Drag out the loop over the top of the other stuff on the track to the length required.

Seems quick and easy to me, and doesn't that do what you're asking?
Old 08-23-2006, 01:30 AM   #5
EnzymeX

This sound like a thread looking to put Ableton Live out of business (I'm all for that)!

Setting independent loop regions per track is an interesting approach, but one that is limited to a single loop per track.

I am more into being able to define track regions (which reaper already does), and have the regions play back in any order (like creating a song from patterns on a drum machine).

Picture another tab in Reaper for "Region Playback". just make a sequence list of regions within that tab, and you are remixing your song in a flash!

Or...make recording of region selections active in real time during playback. Now, we have seriously crossed over into Ableton loop turf...

Then, render your automated playback of regions to finalize your arrangement....

Oh God...this would be too good!! I would sell Live in a heartbeat if this was in place!

OK...I'm taking a deep breath now. I can't get my hopes up too high...
EnzymeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 03:50 AM   #6
Art Evans
Mortal

Hmm, when you get to a new clip it stops working... I'll need to think it out further.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 09:16 AM   #7
spherop

Thanks Art for looking into it.

Enzyme, absolutely I am all for both approaches which have different uses in different stages of production. In track looping is more critical in the process of developing the regions themselves, which then, as you point out, need to be effectively arranged, sequenced.

Cubase SX has something quite like what you're describing. I would also love to see Reaper implement similar functionality but better. In CB they are called Playorder tracks. A special track that lets the regions be defined. Then there is a playorder window where you setup up counts and sequences. Then there is the option of re-rendering the whole arrangement, ie., flattening it.

The Cubase implementation is, not surprisingly, half-baked rushed to market, buggy. But if you know what not to do - it sort of works.

I haven't used Acid 6 - but sounds like it has some useful features in this arena.

One key thing Cubase lacks in its Playorder tracks - is *lack of realtime* switching. So you cannot make adjustements to the playorder sequence without the playback stuttering, moving in time. You also cannot d-click regions and have the playback play them *at the next measure* as opposed to instantly. These things which Live does so well - are necessary for a really nice implementation of dynamic Region Arranging and Playback.

Judging from what's been coded so far - I have a strong feeling that Justin would do a best of breed implementation of these features. Hoping and looking forward
Old 08-23-2006, 09:39 AM   #8
yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzymeX
...Setting independent loop regions per track is an interesting approach, but one that is limited to a single loop per track.

I am more into being able to define track regions ...
Oooh... or how about this:

You set up your project normally, but designate certain clips (or regions) as "loops." You hit play, and when the now time hits a "loop clip", it continues to loop that section until the now time hits something else on that track.

That would be really cool.

Cheers.
yep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 09:55 AM   #9
EnzymeX

Quote:
Originally Posted by spherop

Enzyme, absolutely I am all for both approaches which have different uses in different stages of production. In track looping is more critical in the process of developing the regions themselves, which then, as you point out, need to be effectively arranged, sequenced.
Spherop,

Very good point - I didn't think of that.
EnzymeX is offline   Reply With Quote