Old 01-26-2009, 04:14 AM   #1
uksnowy
Human being with feelings

Default Streaming audio

Does anyone know if it is possible, and if so how, I can take the output from Reaper master channel and encode it for internet radio stream suitable for PeerCast, IceCast or other stream distribution method.

I was hoping ReaStream might help, but reading the threads i'm not sure it is, unless you guys know better and that it can.

Thanks.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:37 PM   #2
Casey

Hi gang, first post! I actually just got Shoutcast streaming working from Reaper (well I connected to my server, haven't had a chance to test the audio yet). You'll find a nice explanation of how to configure it in this thread-

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=6755

The referenced link at Landoleet for reaper_shoutcast.dll is password protected, but you can find the log in info in this thread-

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=29869

I've been performing live over the internet via winamp/shoutcast for about 18 months now, excited at being able to use Reaper.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:59 AM   #3
uksnowy

Casey

Thanks for the reply. I'll checkout the links over the next few days.

If I get any issues, would it be ok for me to IM you?

Snowy.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:26 AM   #4
jbreher

Default Shoutcast server parameter sets

I've been using Reaper to stream live performances into Second Life for several months. Works just fine. I have some residual questions however about its implementation.

After selecting an 'Output Format' of 'Shoutcast Source' in the 'Save live output to disk (bounce)' dialog, one is faced with the 'REAPER Shoutcast Source Status+Config' dialog. This is where one is to enter the parameters of the Shoutcast server one is attaching to. So far, so good. I have figured out what *most* of the fields in this dialog do. However...

Does anyone know what the 'Publish server in directory' check box is for? Is there some universally accessible database of Shoutcast servers or something?

With that asked, I have another question - related to my usage of this function:

In my Second Life gigging, I perform for a number of 'venues'. Each venue has it's own Shoutcast stream to which I need to attach. I frequently have repeat performances at any given venue. For each venue, each time I visit, I need to manually enter all the values for each of the fields in the Shoutcast server definition.

Other Shoutcast streaming apps have 'server parameter sets' which simplify this. For example, by selecting the VENUE_A parameter set, all the proper values for that venue are plugged into the various fields defining that server. VENUE_B has different values for each of these fields associated with it, etc.

If REAPER has this sort of functionality, where do I find it? If not, would anyone else be able to make use of this functionality, and would they support a feature request?
jbreher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:52 AM   #5
SonicAxiom

for anybody who might be interested in this topic: On Windows, you can use free Windows Media Encoder to stream virtually any audio and video source (hardware/software) into the internet on a peer-to-peer basis (without running via a dedicated third-party server). Fairly easy and straight-forward to set up.

I'm streaming the live feed of my studio's master output signal with this method when a client cannot come to my place so that he can listen to it from anywhere in the world while simultaneously giving me mixing directions via telephone or skype.
SonicAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:37 AM   #6
drumphil

The way I do things is to run my own icecast server. I take a line out from the audio interface reaper is using, and connect it to the line in on the motherboards on board sound, and use a program like mbrecaster to stream the audio recorded from this input to the icecast server. This avoids any stream drop outs due to switching to a new reaper project or reaper releasing the audio device when minimized and not playing, requiring the listener to press play again once the stream starts again.

Then multiple listeners can connect to the icecast stream, which stays connected, even if you close and open reaper again. Sure, it will be streaming silence when no audio is being produced by reaper, but that's better than the stream dropping when switching projects or whatever.

Also means that you could have a mic set up that runs through an analog mixer, or through the sound card mixer, so that you can communicate uninterrupted by reaper being minimized or when switching projects.
drumphil is offline   Reply With Quote