Old 01-23-2018, 04:31 PM   #1
metallicaguy1
Human being with feelings

Default Question about stretching

when I record distorted guitar twice, left and right channel, sometimes they're off from each other, so I have to split and drag the notes and or chords. It usually works and sounds ok, but sometimes one or the other, left or right, sounds crappy when I imply the dragging method. There's like a bump in between notes. I don't know how to describe it really. Sometimes I'll drag the note, chord pretty far too and it sounds ok still, but for some reason, sometimes there's that little annoying glitch or whatever. I don't know what's causing that ?
metallicaguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:11 PM   #2
Philbo King

Just to clarify:
Are you changing the audio by using stretch markers?
Or are you splitting itmes into individual notes or pieces and then sliding them,around?
Philbo King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:00 AM   #3
RDBOIS
Banned

It does that. Especially if you at moving a piece far away.

Try changing the Pitch Shift/Time Stretch Mode setting.

You can do that in the main Project Setting or better yet in the Item Properties. I say better yet, because I found that each instrument will react differently to the stretching operation. Therefore, you may not want to rely on an entire project setting, but on a case by case - thus going to Item Property.

You can do that by selecting the Item in the track, right click mouse and choosing Item properties. Then, find Pitch Shift/Time Stretch Mode setting - it should say Project default. Try changing Elastic Pro or something else. Also try add a check mark in the Optimize for tonal control box.

This stuff is very subtle. You'll need to put headphones and listen very hard. I've played around these setting for many hours in order to find what is best for vocals, best for guitar, etc. It's not a magic cure, but a little bit better is better - yes?

Also, fixing a the timing of an instrument with stretch marks is an art form. You can't just go putting a marker here and there and stretch thinking it will always fix things without a glitch. You got to learn where is a better spot to put a marker to do the least amount of damage. There is a breaking point - when you stretch too much - there is some fluttering or other sound artifacts.

Other times you may want to split the track and move pieces around. This typically works best for areas that don't have too many notes in a bar, or where silences occur between melody lines.

If you reach a breaking point and get artifacts then it's time to re-track the instrument. If you can't, then see if you can't 'borrow' a piece of guitar track from another spot in the song and copy-paste it where it is needed. Songs are very OCD-like - there is almost always repetition - chances are not all repetitions are off-beat.

I hope this helps?
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:02 AM   #4
Philbo King

If you are splitting and dragging there is kind of an art to it, especially in creating seamless crossfades that can't be heard. It takes practice and experience.

You might consider trying stretch markers instead.
Here's a quick tutorial on the Cockos home page in video #6
Philbo King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 03:11 AM   #5
metallicaguy1

I'm splitting individual items and moving them around. It works sometimes, but other times it leaves an artifacty sound. Especially when I drag the split part of the clip from left to right.
metallicaguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:47 AM   #6
hopi

maybe try leaving a little more on each end and putting a fade on those ends