Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 01-23-2018, 12:53 PM   #1
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Default Cheapest windows tablet or convert that will run reaper ok?

I really like the tablet form as I mean to replace an iPad in my live setup. I don’t really understand the difference in 2 in 1 vs tablet vs convertible. I want to run reaper as my guitar rack, so one track at a time at 256 buffers with several tracks loaded up with VSTs that I will switch betweeen with only one track unsuited at a time.

My old hp i3 laptop runs this just fine, but not sure what the equivalent is in a tablet

Any cheap suggestions?
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 05:43 AM   #2
drumphil
Human being with feelings

How are the CPU usage figures with the laptop you have now?
drumphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:47 AM   #3
Stella645

To be safe I would suggest you find an i3 or i5 tablet.

Cheap tablets are usually Atom processors which would likely be underpowered for this use.

Not sure why you wouldn't just use your laptop if it works tbh.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:28 PM   #4
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumphil View Post
How are the CPU usage figures with the laptop you have now?
Unnoticable for what I'm doing
Old 01-26-2018, 07:31 PM   #5
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
To be safe I would suggest you find an i3 or i5 tablet.

Cheap tablets are usually Atom processors which would likely be underpowered for this use.

Not sure why you wouldn't just use your laptop if it works tbh.
People were saying that some of the tablet i3 and i5 aren't the same sort of CPU as the regular laptop mobile models or the desktops and that there may be problems.

Several times on the forum you see people that have, on paper, way more than enough power to run stuff but there are things in the system architecture that wreck it. At the beginning of REAPER it used to be that plenty power was available on laptops, but they had system issues to make them not work, especially with firewire...Nowdays most any laptop is ok, but I dont know tablets

I dont want to use my laptop, because I really like the convenience of the tablet thing I'm using now, Ill put pics up later, maybe itll make more sense, but really, this will probably start with my laptop
Old 01-26-2018, 08:21 PM   #6
karbomusic

I tracked around 20 simultaneous tracks to my MS Surface 2 Pro via USB2 and going to a 32GB micro SD card without issue - That isn't cheap though. I also have a Samsung tablet from 2011 but never tested but it wasn't cheap either but since you were talking tablets, I know it's possible.
Old 01-27-2018, 02:21 AM   #7
drumphil

Quote:
People were saying that some of the tablet i3 and i5 aren't the same sort of CPU as the regular laptop mobile models or the desktops and that there may be problems.
The Pentium and Celeron names are now used on some of the intel atom series CPU's (which I think is deceptive), but anything with "i" in front of it is still the real deal. They will be the ultra low power draw versions at lower clock speeds, but for what you're doing, they'll be way more than enough.
drumphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:12 AM   #8
BenK-msx

I have an atom based win 10 tablet, and runs reaper ok -
Lynx was the brand.

Only issue I had was the connectivity was a pita.

It Needed a high Amp power USB source to not die very quickly on battery as had to set processing to max ,also needed usb connectivity to use external interface or peripherals (keyboard /mouse/midi) so went from sleek small tablet to something of a tangle of different cables and connectors that risk coming out put into a small box - that ultimately was about the size of a laptop!

Worked tho

Had more joy with a win10 'box' (Apple TV sized object) as had better connections and small, if don't need screen works well ( can remote desktop or plug into any tv), shoved it into an old gutted practice amp!

Last edited by BenK-msx; 01-27-2018 at 07:19 AM.
BenK-msx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:38 PM   #9
pipelineaudio
Mortal

So here is my FRFR guitar setup, if you can think of as handy a way to set a laptop as a tablet, I'm all ears (I'd WAY rather have that trackpad and rightclick and everything else!!!! Controlling purely by touchscreen is a pain, seriously)

This setup works great and is quick and clean to set up, but the software available for iOS is just sad compared to running the same stuff in REAPER.

Last edited by pipelineaudio; 01-27-2018 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 04:34 PM   #10
BenK-msx

just got hold of that bias amp (le ) vst - do you like? considering wisdom of 59 euro upgrade..

fyi my litte win-box setup btw is set to boot win10, login & boot reaper inc. a template and create a little wifi hotspot + remote desktop server so i could control it if need be from tab or computer.
had little tascam interface plugged in so decent quality, and all fits in a gutted practice amp.

would like to go battery powered but that got fiddly. added a fan so it could run higher cpu longer, not quite enough to stream HQ content when plugged into tv ( for the F1 races!) but for reaper stuff, its fine.

most faff was getting win10 de-flufffed.

was bit like this -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wintel-Pr...YAAOSw43haPWeF seems they have got pricier .. hmm

Last edited by BenK-msx; 01-30-2018 at 04:40 PM.
BenK-msx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:18 AM   #11
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Do you think this one is ok?

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-36984S.../dp/B00BBLEYXQ
Old 01-31-2018, 06:41 AM   #12
BenK-msx

No pc spec expert compared to some but looks more than adequate, I was offering bargain basement solutions!
Old 01-31-2018, 11:26 AM   #13
pipelineaudio
Mortal

One of the requirements for the setup I'm trying to do is a screen, but I wonder if I couldn't just VNC an iphone into the one you showed so I'd have a tuner
Old 01-31-2018, 02:47 PM   #14
BenK-msx

I could vnc to my tablet, all doable and realible enough once setup but the setup was fiddly, win10 mostly the reason.

A lappy is probably bit easier.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:14 PM   #15
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Trying to think of a convenient holder for the laptop, the ipad one is awesome, it would work for a tablet, but maybe not for a laptop, but maybe
Old 02-05-2021, 10:00 AM   #16
Professor Fate

Default Would really rather not use a laptop

Hi,
I'm the newest newbie you know. I'm a fair musician but completely new to recording and I thought Reaper would be a good DAW for me to learn to just record myself.
Anyway, I'd like to run it on a tablet because tablets don't have fans (do they?). My laptop has a fan and I don't want the fan noise in my recordings. Okay, it's a crap laptop - but I've never had a laptop where the fan didn't eventually get noisy.

So. Which is a good tablet to get?

Cheers,
~ F8