Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 02-13-2018, 07:46 AM   #41
moondoggie53
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
Gah -
need to vent as my shiny new 'vintage' 2012 mac mini i7 quad with 1T fusion drive was silently being awesome but has suddenly developed chirpitis which for some reason is a very irritating and noticable noise and is hindering my recording!

for the life of me i cannot make it cease - scouring activity monitor - killing stuff etc. not helped by being a noob on macos in relative terms as lived on windows till recently.

got a usb external drive for time machine backup as i am aware when a fusion drive goes they can do so spectacularly.

the process to fit a ssd in these minis seem far too tedious, and the reason i got the thing was to end the days of endless computer fiddling!!

- hoping it is just some little thing in the backround being a twat, but if drive failing, may go external ssd as boot.

any hints tips or possibilities- please share.

angry from wales.

1st: run diagnostics. My 1st 3 guesses would be replace the drive, but gather as much info as possible. Definitely try the local Mac store, if there is one near you. Last resort build an insulating booth around the Mini.

Personally, I am contemplating Unix: I WILL not go back to MS, Apple built it's base/reputation around pro audio and abandoned them.
moondoggie53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:52 AM   #42
BenK-msx

Cheers - Well, have swapped internal to ssd only and seems much improved, actually got recording done yesterday so issue & solution didn't hinder progress that much.
I don't think a mini would like being in an insulating box they get pretty hot anyway! Then to keep it cool>>> fans.

Going to leave things be as I record then consider high Sierra upgrade and further storage capacity.
Forum helpers did good tho
Old 02-13-2018, 09:15 AM   #43
Aymara

Be careful with High Sierra, because some plugins are still not compatible, e.g. BIAS FX.

I'm still on El Capitan 10.11.6 and didn't regret it so far

Chris
Aymara is offline   Reply With Quote