Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 02-11-2018, 11:59 AM   #1
kero
Human being with feelings

Default Why is Reaper different on my Macbook Air?

So if I open a brand new project in Reaper on my my main system (Macbook Pro) and press play, the playhead won't move, then suddenly starts randomly moving.
BUT, if I create a new track, then all is fine with the playhead, even with no audio.

However, if I open a brand new project on my Macbook Air, and press play, the playhead moves fine, I don't have to create a new track.

Having said all this, the playhead was moving in random jerks an hour ago on my main computer, even with audio, on a track, the audio played, but I had a playhead moving randomly.

I intended buying the Softube Console One to start working with Reaper again, but this kind of unpredictable behaviour has made me think twice.

I will point out that I have no problems of this nature in Logic or Pro Tools.

Any pointers? I really would like to work with Reaper but its impossible with a sticking playhead!
kero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 02:37 PM   #2
philper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kero View Post
So if I open a brand new project in Reaper on my my main system (Macbook Pro) and press play, the playhead won't move, then suddenly starts randomly moving.
BUT, if I create a new track, then all is fine with the playhead, even with no audio.

However, if I open a brand new project on my Macbook Air, and press play, the playhead moves fine, I don't have to create a new track.

Having said all this, the playhead was moving in random jerks an hour ago on my main computer, even with audio, on a track, the audio played, but I had a playhead moving randomly.

I intended buying the Softube Console One to start working with Reaper again, but this kind of unpredictable behaviour has made me think twice.

I will point out that I have no problems of this nature in Logic or Pro Tools.

Any pointers? I really would like to work with Reaper but its impossible with a sticking playhead!
I have Reaper running on 2 PCs and 3 Macs and the playhead doesn't do as you say. Maybe temporarily ditch any 3rd party plugs? Are your drives very full? Uninstall and download again? Are you working at a high SR?
philper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 02:38 PM   #3
serr

Do I understand you to mean that the audio plays continuously but the GUI display freezes here and there? (The audio doesn't start and stop or jump around with the playhead as you describe.)

You could only have a SSD in a MBA.
What MBP and does it have a HDD? An aging (or simply too slow for the project) HDD could put a strain on buffering to the point that the GUI refresh gets put on hold here and there. The new track business was probably interrupting something or in some way playing in an indirect way.

If that's not it and both machines are sporting SSD's...
It sure sounds like a resources issue. Have you checked up on what's running and all that?
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 12:27 AM   #4
kero

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
I have Reaper running on 2 PCs and 3 Macs and the playhead doesn't do as you say. Maybe temporarily ditch any 3rd party plugs? Are your drives very full? Uninstall and download again? Are you working at a high SR?
Not running any plug ins, tried the computer with just internal interface, drives not even 5%full!

I did install again! whats high SR?

Many thanks
Old 02-12-2018, 12:33 AM   #5
kero

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Do I understand you to mean that the audio plays continuously but the GUI display freezes here and there? (The audio doesn't start and stop or jump around with the playhead as you describe.)

You could only have a SSD in a MBA.
What MBP and does it have a HDD? An aging (or simply too slow for the project) HDD could put a strain on buffering to the point that the GUI refresh gets put on hold here and there. The new track business was probably interrupting something or in some way playing in an indirect way.

If that's not it and both machines are sporting SSD's...
It sure sounds like a resources issue. Have you checked up on what's running and all that?
Hi serr
Yes, the audio plays fine, but the play head sticks and randomly moves,

my MBP is a 2015, 2.8. Quad core, 2.8, 16gbRAM, bought about 15 months ago new, whats HDD? pardon my ignorance!
All was working fine a few weeks ago.
Had the computer turned off for a month.

Unfortunately I will have to stop using Reaper because of this, unless I find a solution.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:06 AM   #6
serr

Quote:
Hi serr
Yes, the audio plays fine, but the play head sticks and randomly moves,

my MBP is a 2015, 2.8. Quad core, 2.8, 16gbRAM, bought about 15 months ago new, whats HDD? pardon my ignorance!
That's sarcasm because it's a new generation M.2 SSD right?

Right. Then the only other possibilities are something running and hogging resources, something wrong with the driver install for the interface (if proprietary), or an actual hardware problem.

What does Activity Monitor show for CPU use when this is going on?

PS. High SR = high sample rate eg. 88.2k, 96k, or above.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:43 AM   #7
serr

I bet I know what it is.

What CPU is in that MBA? Some 2 core model that doesn't support hyperthreading right?

Your newer MBP would have a 4 core i7 that supports hyperthreading and it would be turned on by default. Disable hyperthreading! Reaper pointedly wants to manage CPU threads itself and it conflicts with hyperthreading.

Open Activity Monitor. See 8 cores? Then hyperthreading is on for your 4 core CPU. Turn it off.

You can turn it off temporarily in System Preferences until the next reboot. Or turn it off with the Terminal command which stays put until you turn it back on yourself.

. . . you can permanently disable hyperthreading by issuing the following command in the Terminal:

sudo nvram SMT=0

To re-enable hyperthreading, use the command:

sudo nvram -d SMT

Changes take place on a reboot . . .
Old 02-12-2018, 09:52 AM   #8
kero

Quote:
I bet I know what it is.

What CPU is in that MBA? Some 2 core model that doesn't support hyperthreading right?

Your newer MBP would have a 4 core i7 that supports hyperthreading and it would be turned on by default. Disable hyperthreading! Reaper pointedly wants to manage CPU threads itself and it conflicts with hyperthreading.

Open Activity Monitor. See 8 cores? Then hyperthreading is on for your 4 core CPU. Turn it off.

You can turn it off temporarily in System Preferences until the next reboot. Or turn it off with the Terminal command which stays put until you turn it back on yourself.

. . . you can permanently disable hyperthreading by issuing the following command in the Terminal:

sudo nvram SMT=0

To re-enable hyperthreading, use the command:

sudo nvram -d SMT

Changes take place on a reboot . . .
Thank you, but why should this suddenly start, its been fine for over a year!
Old 02-12-2018, 10:13 AM   #9
serr

Quote:
Thank you, but why should this suddenly start, its been fine for over a year!
Because you finally had something push the system enough to notice a problem with it.

With the computers we use now (and especially with an OS like OSX), you can have a lot crashing and burning and not even be aware the computer is struggling.

Still a guess mind you! So you gonna answer my questions there or leave me hanging?
Old 02-12-2018, 10:15 AM   #10
kero

Quote:
Because you finally had something push the system enough to notice a problem with it.

With the computers we use now (and especially with an OS like OSX), you can have a lot crashing and burning and not even be aware the computer is struggling.

Still a guess mind you! So you gonna answer my questions there or leave me hanging?
ha, will take a look tonight and report back tomorrow!
Old 02-12-2018, 11:17 AM   #11
kero

Quote:

Just checked the activity monitor, I cant see 8 cores. I am reluctant to change anything anyway in case it makes more problems!
Reaper is working, providing I add a track, I will suffer it!
Old 02-12-2018, 02:35 PM   #12
serr

It's simply something you can turn off/on. And should. Hyperthreading and Reaper fight.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:24 AM   #13
kero

I tried throwing all my Reaper versions in the trash can and downloading Reaper again, same problem, then I tried the remote version, same problem, so I downloaded an older version from a few years ago, same problem.

I don't have time for this, so I just made a Reaper template with ONE track on, if I open Reaper, then all works fine.

Really disappointed, I wanted to start using Reaper with the Softube Console one device, but I am not gonna bother now.

When I throw Reaper in the trash can I think Reaper components still stay on the computer, how can I completely UNINSTALL Reaper? then I can try a fresh install.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:09 AM   #14
serr

I mean... you're really going to refuse to follow the recommended setup instructions?

"Doctor it hurts when I keep doing this."
Well, stop doing it then!