Old 07-17-2020, 11:13 PM   #1
Kite
Human being with feelings

Default start and stop recording from a distance

I'd like to press a button or a foot switch or something that starts and stops recording video. Not have to go over to the laptop, but have something I can use when in the filming area. This isn't a Reaper thing, but I'd thought people here might be interested.

I googled it and couldn't find anything. Which is weird, because I can't be the first person who's wished for this. It's so useful -- you can shoot multiple takes and delete most of them, saving lots of room on your hard drive. You don't need to constantly get up and go over to the laptop.

So I figured out a primitive solution. I have a mouse attached to the laptop using a USB extender cable. I use good old photobooth to shoot the video. (I'm on a mac.) First I position my cursor over the record button using the trackpad. Then I go over to the filming area and hold the mouse in my hand like a TV remote and click it to start/stop. Photobooth has a 3 second countdown which is actually rather nice. I pile up the takes, review them in photobooth, delete the bad ones, and export the good ones.

I might even tape the mouse to a piece of wood and try to make it foot controlled.
Old 07-18-2020, 03:56 AM   #2
Eliseat

I'm pretty sure there are solutions over Bluetooth but I see you've found a good way. If you record over smartphone there are gestures or sound driven camera apps which do listen to spoken commands or clapping sounds.

And its pretty obvious that programmers are mostly also tinkerers which try to form their environment the same way as they do it with if, then, while, do, for and so on.

Greetings
Eli
Old 07-18-2020, 04:08 AM   #3
jrengmusic

you can use web remote and open it from any device in the same local network (connected to the same wi-fi router) which had browser, like your smartphone.
Old 07-29-2020, 04:44 PM   #4
superblonde.org

There are bluetooth 'record on/off' buttons for the selfie crowd to use with smartphones or tablets. I got one of these with an ipad tripod stand (havent tried it yet though)

If the bluetooth button can be paired with bluetooth on the mac, and that bluetooth button mapped to a keystroke thru macOS to start/stop recording (command-R or spacebar etc) then you are set.
superblonde.org is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 02:00 PM   #5
Philbo King

Don't know if this is applicable, but my Samsung phone will start when I say "Record Video".

I guess PCs have a ways to go before they're as friendly as cell phones...
Old 08-20-2020, 03:10 PM   #6
Kite

Here's my low-tech foot-switch -- I call it a footmouse.

The problem is, I'm using Reaper to record the audio and a separate app to record the video. A mouse click can only start and stop one of these at a time. Bluetooth would have the same problem. (This is a really good argument for Reaper recording video directly.)

Is there a video recording app out there that will take its audio input not from the camera but simultaneously from a usb mike and from my mac's built-in 1/8" input? Or else from channels 1 and 2 of my digi002 rack?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg footmouse small 1.jpg (60.3 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg footmouse small 2.jpg (59.4 KB, 162 views)
Old 08-21-2020, 06:53 AM   #7
Beat Machine

Default wireless mouse

simple
Beat Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:04 AM   #8
uncleswede

I use the supplied Web remote (fancier.html) feature regularly when in the vocal booth. You can start recording, undo, skip back and forward to markers and even adjust track levels - all from a phone. You just need your pc and phone connected to the same wifi network. Works flawlessly.
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:06 AM   #9
uncleswede

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleswede View Post
I use the supplied Web remote (fancier.html) feature regularly when in the vocal booth. You can start recording, undo, skip back and forward to markers and even adjust track levels - all from a phone. You just need your pc and phone connected to the same wifi network. Works flawlessly.
Kenny explains...
https://youtu.be/CkMAj8CpvIU
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote