Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 01-17-2019, 06:46 AM   #2361
dixo
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post

0 seconds means continuous update.

Any of the "R" family (e.g. PressFBR) will require this.
Geoff, what exactly do you mean by "continuous update"? Do you mean: instantaneous update upon button press/release? Or a constant flow of updates at max rate?

And I was thinking, if you change the order of the parameters so that the refresh time is at the last position, and if you allow it to be omitted (meaning: no periodic refresh required), the PressFB syntax could handle all cases with a single keyword. No need for the "R" family, but it may complicate your parser.

"Normal" button with feedback, no periodic refresh:
Code:
SomeButton PressFB 90 4a 7f 90 4a 00
Button with feedback and refresh @ 100ms:
Code:
SomeButton PressFB 90 4a 7f 90 4a 00 0.1

Last edited by dixo; 01-17-2019 at 08:30 AM.
dixo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:32 AM   #2362
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixo View Post
Geoff, what exactly do you mean by "continuous update"? Do you mean: instantaneous update upon button press/release? Or a constant flow of updates at max rate?
Constant flow at max rate.

You can think of it this way, 0 represents a time lapse of 0 seconds between updates, in other words flat out -- as fast as the system can provide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixo View Post
And I was thinking, if you change the order of the parameters so that the refresh time is at the last position, and if you allow it to be omitted (meaning: no periodic refresh required), the PressFB syntax could handle all cases with a single keyword. No need for the "R" family, but it may complicate your parser.

"Normal" button with feedback, no periodic refresh:
Code:
SomeButton PressFB 90 4a 7f 90 4a 00
Button with feedback and refresh @ 100ms:
Code:
SomeButton PressFB 90 4a 7f 90 4a 00 0.1
Fabulous idea, done !!
Groove is the subtle control of chaos -- Control Surface Integrator -- You can donate here: geoffwaddington.ca -- Reaper forum thread: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=183143 -- Pre alpha software: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/33037/CSI%20pre%20alpha.zip
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:30 AM   #2363
Garwyx

Is there any additional documentation besides CSI ReadMe.pdf? I find it limiting and can't get it to work. I moved the CSI folder to my Reaper installation folder (where Reaper.exe is located) and the dll-file to the subordinate Plugins folder (which is not where I keep my custom vst plugins, but which does contain for instance reaper_midi.dll).

I have been looking for a way to get feedback to the BCR2000 without it being jerky. If I read some of the comments in this thread correctly, that is something others have been working on. I had no success with ReaLearn and LBX Stripper, and now understand why.
Garwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:35 AM   #2364
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garwyx View Post
Is there any additional documentation besides CSI ReadMe.pdf? I find it limiting and can't get it to work. I moved the CSI folder to my Reaper installation folder (where Reaper.exe is located) and the dll-file to the subordinate Plugins folder (which is not where I keep my custom vst plugins, but which does contain for instance reaper_midi.dll).

I have been looking for a way to get feedback to the BCR2000 without it being jerky. If I read some of the comments in this thread correctly, that is something others have been working on. I had no success with ReaLearn and LBX Stripper, and now understand why.
Seems like you have put things in the wrong place.

From the Readme.pdf:

Put the CSI folder in the Reaper resource path.
Mac:
Put the dylib in the folder named UserPlugins in the Reaper resource path.
or
PC:
Put the dll in — Program Files\Reaper 4 (x64)\Plugins\ for 64 bit or the equivalent for 32 bit.

You can use the Reaper Action -- "Show REAPER resource path..." to get you to the right spot for the CSI folder and dylib (Mac), the dll goes to a different spot on a PC as indicated above.
Groove is the subtle control of chaos -- Control Surface Integrator -- You can donate here: geoffwaddington.ca -- Reaper forum thread: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=183143 -- Pre alpha software: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/33037/CSI%20pre%20alpha.zip
Old Yesterday, 07:35 AM   #2365
babyjaws

Hi Geoff
I have an 01V96i, so ive been searching today for compatibility with reaper as a control surface, and so I found Klinkes work, and then I found the initial discussions whereby you came foreward to take on this project, and I must say, I'm quite surprised and super impressed and happy the development is progressing to this day!

apart from the faders being set to be able to control sends in MCU mode , are there other advantages with this for control of a 01V96i over Klinkes option?
at this stage that is

cheers
Old Yesterday, 11:07 AM   #2366
Garwyx

Quote:
Seems like you have put things in the wrong place.

From the Readme.pdf:

Put the CSI folder in the Reaper resource path.
Mac:
Put the dylib in the folder named UserPlugins in the Reaper resource path.
or
PC:
Put the dll in — Program Files\Reaper 4 (x64)\Plugins\ for 64 bit or the equivalent for 32 bit.

You can use the Reaper Action -- "Show REAPER resource path..." to get you to the right spot for the CSI folder and dylib (Mac), the dll goes to a different spot on a PC as indicated above.
I got the CSI folder. I use a portable installation, so it's the REAPER folder including folders like ColorThemes, Data and FXChains.

My installation does not have a folder called Program Files\Reaper 4 (x64)\Plugins\. Should I create that? That still doesn't work. Or do you mean the folder where user plugins are stored?

And then should CSI turn up at the FX Browser in Reaper?

By the way, I do not want to use the BCR as a control surface. Just controlling plugin parameters is enough for me. So MIDI CC messages will suffice. But I like the feedback to be correct.
Old Yesterday, 12:49 PM   #2367
rapscallione

Hmm here's some strangeness. Installed CSI, using the Artist Mix. After some tinkering got it to work nicely. Then I flip back into Pro Tools to work a bit, and when I come back into Reaper it's not getting any input from the Artist Mix using CSI.

It is working with the old Eucon plugin, and in Pro Tools. Reinstalled CSI to try to get it going again, no dice. Any idea what to try?

[edit] Well, got it fixed. Nothing like posting the question to make things work. I deleted and re-added the Eucon protocol for MCU in the control panel again, and it worked. Did that last night as well and it did not fix it, this time I wonder if the sequence of turning on and off the Artist Mix while adjusting the Eucon settings had anything to do with it. If I figure it out I'll post it here.

Last edited by rapscallione; Yesterday at 01:06 PM.
rapscallione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:47 PM   #2368
spoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapscallione View Post
<snip>

[edit] Well, got it fixed. Nothing like posting the question to make things work. I deleted and re-added the Eucon protocol for MCU in the control panel again, and it worked. Did that last night as well and it did not fix it, this time I wonder if the sequence of turning on and off the Artist Mix while adjusting the Eucon settings had anything to do with it. If I figure it out I'll post it here.
Back when DAW setups were _really_ fragile, I used to Ghost my main drive before ANY changes.
Well, anything driver, app or plug-in related. And because storage was cheap, sometimes I'd ghost at arbitrary intervals.

Now on a Mac, things are much more stable...but it's stuff like this that keeps me from touching much once the DAW is humming along. (Hmmm, is there ghost for MacOS, I wonder...)

Glad you got it working.
Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM   #2369
rapscallione

Unrelated to the above: Geoff, I know you're using an Artist Mix in your setup. Have you gotten the pan knobs to work correctly in CSI? In Pro Tools, when you have your hand on the encoder, the pan automation works just like the fader- it stays in the place you've dialed in until you let go, after which it will resume reading the automation already in place.

In Reaper if you stop turning the encoder the automation will return to 0, and the automation points it creates are super messy looking. It seems to be behaving normally in the Eucon plugin.
rapscallione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:11 PM   #2370
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyjaws View Post
Hi Geoff
I have an 01V96i, so ive been searching today for compatibility with reaper as a control surface, and so I found Klinkes work, and then I found the initial discussions whereby you came foreward to take on this project, and I must say, I'm quite surprised and super impressed and happy the development is progressing to this day!

apart from the faders being set to be able to control sends in MCU mode , are there other advantages with this for control of a 01V96i over Klinkes option?
at this stage that is

cheers
If I were you I'd start with the Klinke one, once that is working I'd check back here, CSI is still a pre alpha
Old Yesterday, 03:13 PM   #2371
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
I got the CSI folder. I use a portable installation, so it's the REAPER folder including folders like ColorThemes, Data and FXChains.

My installation does not have a folder called Program Files\Reaper 4 (x64)\Plugins\. Should I create that? That still doesn't work. Or do you mean the folder where user plugins are stored?

By the way, I do not want to use the BCR as a control surface. Just controlling plugin parameters is enough for me. So MIDI CC messages will suffice. But I like the feedback to be correct.
Ahh, never used a portable install, anyone know where to put the CSI stuff for a portable install ?

What OS are you on ?
Old Yesterday, 03:16 PM   #2372
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapscallione View Post
Unrelated to the above: Geoff, I know you're using an Artist Mix in your setup. Have you gotten the pan knobs to work correctly in CSI? In Pro Tools, when you have your hand on the encoder, the pan automation works just like the fader- it stays in the place you've dialed in until you let go, after which it will resume reading the automation already in place.

In Reaper if you stop turning the encoder the automation will return to 0, and the automation points it creates are super messy looking. It seems to be behaving normally in the Eucon plugin.
Unfortunately not possible as far as I know.

In Mackie mode and the rotaries stop sending out touch info.

Touch info is needed for proper automation.
Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM   #2373
Travesty

Quote:

It's not a plugin. It's in preferences, control surfaces

Add new surface, select csi
Travesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:28 PM   #2374
poetnprophet

Quote:
Ahh, never used a portable install, anyone know where to put the CSI stuff for a portable install ??
On my Win10 Reaper is on the root C, and CSI folder is right in the Reaper folder; Reaper/CSI. The axt, fxt, rst folders are each in the CSI folder (in the Reaper folder). The CSI ini is also in the CSI folder.

NOTE: The CSI dll file should be in the Reaper/Plugins folder.
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:34 AM   #2375
Garwyx

Quote:
Ahh, never used a portable install, anyone know where to put the CSI stuff for a portable install ?

What OS are you on ?
W10 64 bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
It's not a plugin. It's in preferences, control surfaces

Add new surface, select csi
Of course, that makes sense. But I still do not see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
On my Win10 Reaper is on the root C, and CSI folder is right in the Reaper folder; Reaper/CSI. The axt, fxt, rst folders are each in the CSI folder (in the Reaper folder). The CSI ini is also in the CSI folder.

NOTE: The CSI dll file should be in the Reaper/Plugins folder.
I run Reaper on a second internal SSD, so it is D:\REAPER and D:\REAPER\CSI. I would expect the 64 bit DLL to go to either D:\REAPER\Plugins or D:\REAPER\UserPlugins.

The CSI folder is located in my local Reaper folder. I tried both dll's (64 and 32 bit) in all these folders, to no avail:

- Reaper\Plugins
- Reaper\UserPlugins
- Local VST plugin directory
- Program Files\Reaper 4 (x64)\Plugins
- Program Files (x86)\Reaper 4 (x64)\Plugins
- Program Files (x86)\Reaper 4 (x64)\Plugins

Still no CSI Control Surface shows up. The list contains:
- Behringer BCF2000
- Frontier AlphaTrack
- Frontier Tranzport
- HUI (partial)
- Mackie Control Extender
- Mackie Control Universal
- OSC (Open Sound Control)
- PreSonus FaderPort
- Web browser interface
- YAMAHA 01X

I have not installed Klinke's CS.
Old Today, 03:59 AM   #2376
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
The CSI folder is located in my local Reaper folder.
Is that the folder you get when you run the Reaper Action -- "Show REAPER resource path..." ?
Old Today, 05:31 AM   #2377
Garwyx

Quote:
Is that the folder you get when you run the Reaper Action -- "Show REAPER resource path..." ?
Yes indeed. With portable installations, everything Reaper needs to run can be found in this path (themes, docs, data, fxchains, plugins, etc). So it makes sense for CSI to go there too.
Old Today, 08:02 AM   #2378
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Yes indeed. With portable installations, everything Reaper needs to run can be found in this path (themes, docs, data, fxchains, plugins, etc). So it makes sense for CSI to go there too.
Cool, forgot to ask, what version of Reaper are you running ?
Old Today, 09:17 AM   #2379
dixo

Quote:
Of course, that makes sense. But I still do not see it.
Not sure if this applies, but I had the issue (on a Windows 8.1 machine) where CSI was not found while the other extensions (e.g. Klinke) in the same location were fine.
I had to install (upgrade to) the Microsoft C++ 2017 Runtime (and upgrade to the latest Reaper) to resolve it.

I am not running portable installs though, and on my Windows 10 machine everything worked without having to upgrade the C++ runtime. But I thought I'd mention it anyway.
dixo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:53 PM   #2380
poetnprophet

Quote:
Program Files\Reaper 4
I think you need a more current version of Reaper!
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote