Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 10-02-2015, 12:49 AM   #161
ChunkyBustout
Human being with feelings

That may be but it solved my rebooting issues. Again, it won't hurt to try.
ChunkyBustout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:47 AM   #162
Bob Headroom

Just to let you all know.... Unfortunately (as mentioned earlier) my other half will kill me if I don't stick to our deal to get the garden sorted this week and next.... So whilst I'd love to be in the studio trying all this stuff out, I'm in the garden cutting back hedges, digging trenches, etc. I was supposed to progress things a little last night but was so knackered I fell asleep as soon as I sat for 5 minutes!

Anyhow, just wanted to say thanks for all the posts and sorry if it seems things are slack and slow at my end. I'll continue to work through suggestions methodically as and when I can.

Cheers
Bob Headroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:27 AM   #163
Bob Headroom

After an embarrassingly long absence, I'm back!!! And I now have more time to rededicate to this.

In response to some of the more recent posts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkyBustout View Post
Max Dread, I had a similar issue and it all boiled down to going into Chrome settings/Advanced settings/System (on the bottom of the page) and disabling hardware acceleration and disabling running Google Chrome apps when closed. It won't hurt to try (I've read this entire thread to be certain this wasn't mentioned before

Good Luck!
Just tried this and it did not fix the problem. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz View Post
I can't believe nobody noticed this? What was in the BSOD? That could easily explain the culprit.

Don't post only the error code, but the component that caused it too (it should say a filename at the top)
The BSOD was nothing new I don't think. It was the same info as I get from the mini-dumps. I think it was just that changing "Auto Restart" to off meant that the PC hung on the BSOD whereas previously it shot straight passed it and just restarted Windows. Either way, the info that the BSOD gives was/is still available. I think!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Unless I misunderstood previously, it reboots doing multiple different things but chrome is a mostly sure fire repro.
I wasn't sure what was causing the reboots or when exactly they were happening the fist few times way back when. But I'm pretty certain now that it is only when visiting those certain webpages that I get the crashes/reboots. That's certainly been my experience.

So, where from here....

1. I could not get sfc /scannow to work but will try again and report back.
2. I am up for trying the tricks up innuendo's sleeve (post #150) and will await instructions on that once I have tied point 1 again.
3. I'll check my nLite notes to see if I can find out exactly what got "nlite'd" from my install CD.
4. I'll try a thorough Chrome uninstallation (as per post #141).
5. I'll debate whether to switch to Firefox. It took me quite a while to get Chrome set up to exactly how I like it and so I am not in a rush to change. However, a couple of people have now said that Firefox is a lot better and this is something I will look into. If nothing else, it would be interesting to uninstall Chrome and install Firefox and leave it like that for a few weeks to see if I get any crashes.

Other than that, I think it is back to innuendo's fantastic guidance for further explorations (and of course any other suggestions people wish to make).

Many thanks to everyone and especially to innuendo for all the help.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:47 AM   #164
Bob Headroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Dread View Post
1. I could not get sfc /scannow to work but will try again and report back.
Still no luck. So there is either something missing from the OS or something wrong with the disc I insert.

And just to clarify, the little "Windows File Protection" grey box does come up and says "please wait while windows verifies.....". The blue progress bar reaches the end. But nothing after that.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:44 AM   #165
karbomusic

Quote:
I wasn't sure what was causing the reboots or when exactly they were happening the fist few times way back when. But I'm pretty certain now that it is only when visiting those certain webpages that I get the crashes/reboots. That's certainly been my experience.
If that's the case then we are back at video drivers/hardware/PSU etc. Remember when I looked at the dumps early on that a number of them were involved with drawing fonts on the screen or similar...

Quote:
STACK_TEXT:
a4674a44 bf8f7cff e258f840 000002e5 e55c1000 win32k!cjFillPolygon+0x268
a4674b34 bf97c067 00000015 00000001 00000015 win32k!lQueryTTOutline+0xe4
a4674b68 bf97c203 e531c7c0 00000015 00000000 win32k!bValidRangeMORT+0x14
a4674b94 bf97a9bb e531c7c0 00000015 00000004 win32k!vSetClearTypeState__FONTCONTEXT+0x7f
a4674be0 bf9660ed 00000000 e531c7c0 00000015 win32k!vFillGLYPHDATA_ErrRecover+0x6e
a4674c10 bf951ad1 00000000 e531c7c0 00000015 win32k!RFONTOBJ::vInitEUDC+0x66
a4674cc4 bf948569 e531c7c0 00000000 00000002 win32k!GreMakeFontDir+0x109
a4674d3c 8054161c f901222c 00000015 00000182 win32k!pbmiConvertInfo+0x1e
a4674d78 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 0x7c90e4f4
^There was the caveat of some dumps not having the same stack hence asking if it was always the same steps to reproduce the BSOD.

Quote:
I can't believe nobody noticed this? What was in the BSOD? That could easily explain the culprit.
Not only did we notice, we reviewed 10 or so dumps from the BSODs in WinDbg early on in the thread.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:01 PM   #166
innuendo

Quote:
Still no luck. So there is either something missing from the OS or something wrong with the disc I insert.

And just to clarify, the little "Windows File Protection" grey box does come up and says "please wait while windows verifies.....". The blue progress bar reaches the end. But nothing after that.
You did not mention which disk you were using for sfc. Was it the disk with the image you downloaded, or the nlited disk?
How long did it take for the blue bar to reach the end?
It might be that on WinXP you won't have any notification when sfc scan completes. The progress should be reflected in the logs though. I don't remember which log registers it, so please upload both the system and the applications logs.
Did you try to reproduce the crash since the sfc scan? If no, please try.

Last edited by innuendo; 10-19-2015 at 01:16 PM.
innuendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 01:14 PM   #167
innuendo

It can't be the video drivers since this also happens in safe mode (because video drivers are not being loaded in the safe mode). My best guess currently is either a corrupted kernel driver, or a bug in Chrome. We'll try to investigate both directions if sfc scan didn't work.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:32 PM   #168
Bob Headroom

Hi innuendo. Welcome back. And thanks for coming back!!!

The disc I used was the one we made together (the one I downloaded). I should have clarified one outstanding point from our PMs. When I mentioned "verification" I was not referring to file verification as per the download. I meant disc burning verification. When I burnt the disc I ask the software to verify the burn after it was complete. It was this verification that failed. I tried it again and the same thing happened. I've never used that feature before so I don't know whether it is important or not. The disc did burn fine, and I guess that if I had not selected the "verification" option I would even know of a potential problem as the disc burnt fine. Hope that makes sense.

I did not time it, but I'd say it took around 5 minutes or so for the bar to reach the end. Maybe a little longer.

I've ran sfc a few times before and am still getting crashes. I will try it again in a moment though just to be sure.

I'll also upload the logs as requested. In fact, I'll do that first.

Cheers
Old 10-19-2015, 01:38 PM   #169
Bob Headroom

Here they are:

Application:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5T...ew?usp=sharing

System:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5T...ew?usp=sharing

Cheers
Old 10-19-2015, 01:41 PM   #170
Bob Headroom

Still crashing....
Old 10-19-2015, 01:43 PM   #171
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by innuendo View Post
It can't be the video drivers since this also happens in safe mode (because video drivers are not being loaded in the safe mode). My best guess currently is either a corrupted kernel driver, or a bug in Chrome. We'll try to investigate both directions if sfc scan didn't work.
It doesn't have to be third party video driver. Maybe I should have put a slash between video/drivers for clarity. Let me know what you guys find.
Old 10-19-2015, 03:35 PM   #172
innuendo

@Max Dread: Sorry, I still don't understand whether you eventually tried sfc scan with the disk you burned from the image or not. If you did not, I think you should give it a try. There is no reason to insist on this disc burning verification. Additional mechanisms to ensure files integrity are in place, so even if some file got corrupted during the burn, it will simply be skipped. Sfc scan is pretty essential in this situation, and IMHO has best chances to actually fix the problem.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:33 PM   #173
Bob Headroom

Sorry for being unclear.

Yes, I did try sfc scan with the disc burned from the image. And the Application and System CSV files uploaded in post #169 were taken after doing that scan with the disc burned from the image. Hopefully they will be helpful... If not, I'm not sure what else I can try to get the sfc scan to work.

Many thanks
Old 10-19-2015, 11:41 PM   #174
clepsydrae

If you guys can get this computer working again it's going to be one of the most epic threads of tech support and stranger-kindness on the net! :-)
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:46 PM   #175
Bob Headroom

I'm a very lucky man. And extremely grateful.... And that's regardless of the outcome.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:45 PM   #176
innuendo

Let's try this: Please download SP3.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...ils.aspx?id=24

Also please create a new restore point, and then refer again to this article and take notes if you haven't:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/304449

Next, please attempt to install SP3. Not sure whether this will work, but worth to give it a try.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:29 PM   #177
innuendo

If that didn't work, I think you should consider repair installation.
(obviously use the recently-created WinXP SP3 disk for that, not the nlited disk)

Prior to doing this, you will need to figure out the product key for WinXP. Tell me if you need help with this.

Please refer to the following guide for repair installation (and I advise you to print it or take notes). It is crucial to follow it carefully, otherwise you might loose all your data.

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XP...install.htm#RI

(only go through steps 1-6 and disregard everything following)
Old 10-22-2015, 08:45 AM   #178
Bob Headroom

Hi innuendo.

Thanks - I'll give these a go as soon as I get the chance. And I just want to make sure I am totally up to date with back ups first.

System Restore - is there a way to check that they are definitely happening (and they they definitely happen after I set a Restore Point)? Where are images saved to?

Also, just a bit of sideways thinking on this based on what has been posted previously... If the issue is with Chrome, could I just use Firefox or another browser and be done with all this? Or is there other corruption in the Windows file - regardless of how it was caused - which means switching browser might not be enough for a full return to health?

To put that last question slightly differently, if the issue is with Chrome and I switch browser, what problems might I face?

Just trying to weigh this all up and decide what's best.

Thanks as ever, I truly owe you one.

Max
Old 10-22-2015, 01:25 PM   #179
innuendo

Quote:
I just want to make sure I am totally up to date with back ups first.
Definitely a good idea.

Quote:
System Restore - is there a way to check that they are definitely happening (and they they definitely happen after I set a Restore Point)? Where are images saved to?
System restore does not use images to keep data. I do not know the nitty-gritty details (maybe Karbo or someone else can provide a more educated comment), but speculating a bit, System Restore only records *changes* to the system and program files and registry, so when you want to go back to your previous setup, it will play back those changes. System restore does not track any other files, including user files and data, so when you perform a system restore, your data will stay at its most recent version. So this is not a data backup feature, it is a system backup feature.
It stores its information on the same drive. I'm not sure exactly where those files are located, I can just say that in order for it work, you need to allocate a certain maximum space amount available to it, which you can view and change if you right-click on "My Computer" -> Properties -> "System Restore" tab.

To make sure it's working, do the following:
1) In the "System Restore" tab, Make sure that there is no check mark in the "Turn off System Restore on all drives" box.
2) Click on your system drive (probably C: )
3) Click on the "Settings" button
4) Make sure the allocated space for System Restore is at least a few GBs
5) Create a new restore point
6) Install some new application
7) Go to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore
8) Choose "Restore my computer to an earlier time"
9) Select the restore point you just created and click "Next" twice
10) The OS will reboot and perform the restore operation
11) After the reboot, verify that the program you installed prior to creating the new restore point is no longer installed.

Quote:
Also, just a bit of sideways thinking on this based on what has been posted previously... If the issue is with Chrome, could I just use Firefox or another browser and be done with all this? Or is there other corruption in the Windows file - regardless of how it was caused - which means switching browser might not be enough for a full return to health?

To put that last question slightly differently, if the issue is with Chrome and I switch browser, what problems might I face?
You'll have to try this to figure out. Looks like either Chrome itself doesn't operate correctly on your system (less likely), or that Chrome attempts to use some system library which is not frequently used otherwise, and which exposes the corruption.

Either way, quite possibly that Firefox won't have this issue.

What is definitely broken on your system is some part of "system protection", specifically the sfc. It might go further, because judging by the latest sfc log (the one when you used the new disk), a few dozens of system files do not have a valid signature. I can't tell for sure whether all of them are corrupted (probably not), or if it's just a side-effect of a corrupted sfc. I have a gut feeling that drivers are not "right" on your system, but then the only definite proof is that sfc resets some of them. So maybe if you reinstall some drivers instead of messing with the sfc, you might get a stable system (minus Chrome).

So ultimately while you might be able to get away with just switching the browser, I would not advise to leave your system lacking the self-repairing facility. But then I'm a pedant.
Old 10-22-2015, 02:48 PM   #180
karbomusic

Make sure we uninstall/reinstall chrome if we haven't (I may have missed), also make sure it is at the latest version (or possibly earlier version since this is XP and very little testing gets done for legacy products).

On System restore, mostly just a better, user friendly version of the older windows 2000 system state backup IIRC. Been awhile though.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:37 PM   #181
Bob Headroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Make sure we uninstall/reinstall chrome if we haven't (I may have missed), also make sure it is at the latest version (or possibly earlier version since this is XP and very little testing gets done for legacy products).

On System restore, mostly just a better, user friendly version of the older windows 2000 system state backup IIRC. Been awhile though.
I had previously done an uninstall/re-install of Chrome, but I planned to do another following the link from post #141. I've just done that now.... Still crashing / re-booting.

I don't think it is possible to run earlier versions because Chrome just updates it to the current version automatically. AFAIK that is....

So it's onto this now:

Quote:
Let's try this: Please download SP3.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...ils.aspx?id=24

Also please create a new restore point, and then refer again to this article and take notes if you haven't:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/304449

Next, please attempt to install SP3. Not sure whether this will work, but worth to give it a try.
But before I do that innuendo, I just wanted to check that it is the right link? The download page from that link says: "DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER: A smaller, more appropriate download is now available on Windows Update."

Should I ignore that and go ahead as instructed? Or should I use the alternative download that MS recommend?

Many thanks

And sorry for the belated response...
Old 11-01-2015, 03:52 PM   #182
innuendo

Quote:
But before I do that innuendo, I just wanted to check that it is the right link? The download page from that link says: "DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER: A smaller, more appropriate download is now available on Windows Update."

Should I ignore that and go ahead as instructed? Or should I use the alternative download that MS recommend?

Many thanks

And sorry for the belated response...
Yep. ignore that, they wrote it for the general purpose, which is upgrading from sp1 or sp2. We are trying to reinstall sp3, and you can not do this with windows update. Just to reiterate, I have no idea whether this will or can work. I just think it's worth to try before going ahead with repair installation.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:41 AM   #183
Bob Headroom

Just downloaded and tried the SP3 install. It stops at the start saying:

"This Service Pack cannot be installed on top of the Windows XP Service Pack 3 build currently installed on your computer. Cancel this installation process, uninstall your current Windows XP Service Pack 3 build, then re-install this Service Pack."

Should I go ahead and do that? Or is it onto the next step?

One other thing to mention...:

Quote:
So maybe if you reinstall some drivers instead of messing with the sfc, you might get a stable system (minus Chrome).
I'm sure you are more than aware, but I just wanted to clarify here that my system - at least from a user's perspective - is perfectly stable aside from this Chrome issue. Everything else seems to work fine, and I have run it for weeks/months now with no crashes other than when I visit those certain websites in Chrome. Just wanted to make that clear....

I guess what I was getting at in post #178 is whether I might suffer any kind of data corruption while my system is in its current state. For example, if I do some recording, write a few documents, or rip some CDs to FLAC. That kind of thing... Is there any chance that the problems with my system might lead to the data in such actions being corrupted or problematic in any way?

Thanks a million

Max
Old 11-02-2015, 07:49 AM   #184
innuendo

Quote:
Just downloaded and tried the SP3 install. It stops at the start saying:

"This Service Pack cannot be installed on top of the Windows XP Service Pack 3 build currently installed on your computer. Cancel this installation process, uninstall your current Windows XP Service Pack 3 build, then re-install this Service Pack."

Should I go ahead and do that? Or is it onto the next step?

One other thing to mention...:

I'm sure you are more than aware, but I just wanted to clarify here that my system - at least from a user's perspective - is perfectly stable aside from this Chrome issue. Everything else seems to work fine, and I have run it for weeks/months now with no crashes other than when I visit those certain websites in Chrome. Just wanted to make that clear....

I guess what I was getting at in post #178 is whether I might suffer any kind of data corruption while my system is in its current state. For example, if I do some recording, write a few documents, or rip some CDs to FLAC. That kind of thing... Is there any chance that the problems with my system might lead to the data in such actions being corrupted or problematic in any way?

Thanks a million

Max
I can frankly say "I don't know" to that. Windows is a ridiculously complex system consisting of thousands files. The only way to completely verify system files integrity that I am aware of is sfc, which is not working on your system. For that reason, diagnosing your system is limited to indirect means, mainly system logs. I don't see any serious problems there, but this might not be representative.

Either way, the professional advice in this situation is to reinstall the OS. I suggested attempting a repair installation to begin with, which should solve the problems while not affecting data and most installed programs. If you can afford to experiment with your system, then you can try to live with it the way it is. Personally I don't see the point of that, since reinstallation takes much less time and effort than attempts of figuring out workarounds.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:35 AM   #185
snooks
Banned

Support for Chrome on XP ended in April this year, so it's probably something to do with that. My advice would be to uninstall Chrome and install a supported browser (on the unsupported OS) like Firefox.
snooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:49 AM   #186
Bob Headroom

@snooks. That's interesting. I thought I had read that it was at the end of this year that support was ending. Either way, ending it is and I guess it is another sign pointing me closer and closer to a Win7 install.

@innuendo. Perhaps it is time to hang up our boots on this one then. I can install Firefox and have a play around with that. If it does not crash the websites that crash in Chrome, then at least I will have a stable PC while making the plans for my Win7 move. As to whether the files I create on the PC in the meantime may be corrupted or have any other problems, I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best. My gut tells me that they should be fine and that any problems would be with system files rather than data. Let's hope my gut is right! It would be a nightmare if the files I've been creating this last month or two (and those I'll create before installing Win7) have problems... So here's to hoping!

Huge massive gigantic thanks to everyone who tried to help, and of course especially to innuendo whose generosity and kindness (and patience!) goes some way to restoring faith in humanity...

Cheers

Max
Old 11-02-2015, 02:57 PM   #187
innuendo

Well Max, while I couldn't help with your problem, glad to hear that your relationships with humanity improved as a side effect.