Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 01-12-2018, 08:52 AM   #1
shortyedwards
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper and Roland VS-700 - possible?

Hello all -
I have subscribed to this forum specifically to ask these questions.

I have heard many good things about Reaper. I have been a Cakewalk user for years, going back to the dos days. I dutifully upgraded and finally landed, just last year, on purchasing the Roland VS-700 console and rack unit (used). This was the largest investment I've ever made in my home recording hobby. The recent announcement from Gibson halting development on the software leaves me crestfallen but now ready to move on.

I am wondering the following:

1) Has anyone successfully gotten Reaper and the VS platform to play well together? By this I mean, utilizing the console to "close" to it's full use. Not, several buttons just don't work or they work flaky, etc.

2) Does Reaper have control surface definitions? For this unit?

3) Can there be a user created "definition" for this unit?

I have searched the forum and see little about the VS products so I'm not holding out too much hope, but as I'm a Cakewalk refugee (yes, I know it will still work so I'm being a bit dramatic here) I'm looking to make some decisions soon.

Thanks for any help making my decision easier!
-Doug
shortyedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:35 PM   #2
Ampfixer

I can't answer your question but I can tell you that setting up my A Pro 500 control surface was very easy. IT was easier with Reaper than Sonar and it is also a Roland product. I'd get the free demo, watch the video about setting up a control surface and have a go.
Ampfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 02:19 AM   #3
azslow3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyedwards View Post
Hello all -
2) Does Reaper have control surface definitions? For this unit?

3) Can there be a user created "definition" for this unit?
I have not seen VS plug-in. Yes, it must be binary plug-in, as it is in Sonar. Reaper DIY for surfaces is Surface->OCII-bot->Reaper. As in Sonar, "simple" mapping inside the DAW has no feedback.

I have seen users created such mappings for several devices. There is also (as in Sonar open source) Mackie (binary) module. There is ongoing Surface project (see the primary board). And some lucky day AZ Controller is going to be ported.
But I guess nothing "out of the box" and any solution requires quite some work.
On the other side, Reaper is probably the only DAW where that is possible at all. Most other DAWs better support in program user mappings but do not have open API to make real deep integration, required to make VS work like it is in Sonar (except Ableton/Bitwig, they have script APIs)
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:29 AM   #4
shortyedwards

Default control surface stuff

Hello and thanks for the replies.

So ... I did download the demo and will have a bit of a play and see if it strikes me.
I gather from your responses that my use of the VS-700 with Reaper will be dodgy at best. I have no time nor expertise for digging in the weeds of programming. And I take it you say that there is no "learn" function as in Sonar. Might be best to try and sell the console and rack but that will be a tough sell now in light of Cakewalk's demise.

The Surface Project sounds intriguing. I'll look into it.

Thank you both for the help!
-Doug

Last edited by shortyedwards; 01-16-2018 at 08:59 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:56 PM   #5
poetnprophet

Hi, I posted this in another thread, but here's my experience with the VS700:

Hi there, I am also looking at Reaper as an alternative DAW in light of Sonar's situation. Love Sonar, but I'm really starting to like Reaper right now. it's only been 4 days, but I feel like I'm ready to make the switch.

As for the VS700, I was able to get about 30-40% functionality. Right out of the box, the transport, track faders, pans, track mute/solo/arm, and jog/shuttle wheel all work once you set the control surface as Mackie. Then, through the actions lists you can assign any action in that list to a button on the console. Most buttons. Some aren't coming up such as Save, Undo. So all of the edit buttons can be mirrored exactly, and some of the View buttons. Then, others are already assigned to different/weird functions. For example the fader views buttons (track, buss, master) all assign different automations to a selected track, which is not really desirable for me. Lastly, the track levels don't light, and the fader banks don't switch so looks like i'm stuck with just 8 plus the master. At least, so far.

However, I have literally only spent about 30 minutes on this. I'm sure there is more to discover on this and that's what I like much about Reaper so far. Setting up what I have so far has been pretty darn easy, and with the functions I have now I can run my studio pretty well already.
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:20 AM   #6
shortyedwards

Thanks poetnprophet,

I will stick to it for a bit and see if I can make headway.

Do you also have the rack unit? Any issues with that?

Your posts and experiences have given me some hope. Thanks.

-Doug
Old 01-17-2018, 11:42 AM   #7
poetnprophet

yes, I have the rack unit as well, no issues at all. I use the VS700 IO editor stand alone to setup the mic inputs during recording sessions. In sonar, there is a utility within sonar, but using the stand alone works just as well when using reaper.
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote