Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 10-23-2018, 02:37 PM   #1
czubai
Human being with feelings

Default Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD and multiple VSTI

Hi guys,

Sorry for the noobish question, despite starting with recording ~10 years ago I'm still not great at this, I hope someone smarter will be able to enlighten me.

So, a while back, using our beloved DAW, I was playing around making stuff like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y8EbIwmUFE
This was done on my old trusty E-MU 1212M soundcard.
Sadly, this card seems to be drawing its last breaths.
I was able to monitor all those tracks in real time with no clicks/pops/anything and with low latency (I believe the latency and sample rate etc. I had set can be seen in the upper-right corner of the video).

Question is, will I be able to do that on a USB interface?
I'm considering buying the Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, because it's cheap with many inputs and has good reviews..
It will be handy to record many instruments at once but I don't know how to tell if it's powerful enough and purposed to process so many VST/VSTI-armed tracks like my E-MU did?

Thanks to anyone who will take time to read this!
czubai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 02:40 PM   #2
czubai

If anyone is interested in what's going on with my E-MU 1212m :
The daughter card (the card has 2 modules connected together with a cable https://a1.amlimg.com/MzZiZTgxY2RmNT...sucG5nfHx8.jpg) needs to be PHYSICALLY VERTICAL to not crash my Windows.. the moment I flip it horizontally, Winodws freezes and won't start unless I remove the card..
Really bizzare.
I guess it's some physical wear/damage to some electonic components that seem to like to be angled that way?
Old 10-24-2018, 08:54 AM   #3
JamesPeters

Try replacing the ribbon cable. They have crimped connections and they're not exactly the most reliable. I have had to replace several cables like that, mostly for hard drives, over the years. Given enough time they just died. It's not that I was moving them around or anything.

As for the Behringer, it should work fine. You may not get quite the same low latency but other than that you probably won't notice a difference in performance. I tested one and I actually got pretty low latency, I forget what it was but I remember it being respectable. Anyway the way you're asking about it, that's not really how it works. The audio card does not process your virtual instruments or other plug-ins. It passes audio and or MIDI. Your concerns with the audio device are: does it have the features you want, does it sound good to you, how low a latency can you achieve with it reliably. If you are curious what I thought about its sound, it's fine especially for such an inexpensive device. It lacks a little bit of detail compared to some of the cleanest sounding interfaces but it shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 10-24-2018 at 09:02 AM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 03:04 PM   #4
czubai

Thanks for the reply James, appreciated!

You are right, I'll try to replace the cable, maybe it's not actually about the angle of the daughter card but rather the angle of the cable.

I decided to order the Behringer already and I'll just return it if it doesn't fulfill my needs.
Reading/watching all those reviews just gave me a headache and didn't answer everything I wanted.
I'll write my impressions here in a bit so that others can read it if they stumble upon this thread.