Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 01-14-2020, 03:58 PM   #1
mccrabney
Human being with feelings

Default VST3 params don't respond to next AI env points (FIXED)

edit - skip to post 2 for a better demonstration of the issue regarding vst3

i just noticed that this bit me on a project that i just completed and distributed. this resulted in a part being lowpassed out of a whole song until the very end, where the AI exists. luckily it wasn't a critical part and apparently i didn't miss it much while reviewing the masters, but this could be quite serious

issue: here, a track has an AI at the end of the project. this AI starts at 100% param value and ends at 0% param value.

expected behavior: clicking anywhere before this AI should result in the param moving to 100% value.

bug: as shown in the gif, this doesn't always happen. above, i click into the AI and then click before the AI, expecting the value of the cutoff to jump to 100%. it does once, doesn't once, and flickers strangely once.

i've noticed this in several Waves plugins as well as this HY-Filter3 vst3 plugin. normally, this works fine. maybe it's a vst3 issue? i can't get it to happen on ReaQ

Last edited by mccrabney; 02-04-2020 at 05:01 AM.
mccrabney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:30 PM   #2
mccrabney

more info: here's some supporting evidence suggesting that it is a vst3 issue. here, 2 instances of HY Filter3 are loaded: the vst version and the vst3 version, since i had both.

after hitting play and having the play cursor pass over the AI, if you then stop and move the edit cursor to earlier in the project, the parameter does not adjust to the next AI point.

sorry for the large licecap

Old 02-04-2020, 05:00 AM   #3
mccrabney

bump.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:48 AM   #4
schwa
Administrator

Thanks for the report, I think we can improve this behavior.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 07:00 AM   #5
lalo

Hi, I've the same bug here with TX16Wx VST3 version. Automation is correctly recorded but not played back. If i save the project, close it and re-open it, automation is played back. TX16Wx developer in his words suggest the following in a thread at KVR i started about this issue.

"I verified that REPAER does in fact not call "setParameterNormalized" once after automation was recorded.
This looks like a REAPER issue."

Here'se the thread at KVR
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewto...f=213&t=542420
lalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 06:19 AM   #6
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalo View Post
Hi, I've the same bug here with TX16Wx VST3 version. Automation is correctly recorded but not played back. If i save the project, close it and re-open it, automation is played back. TX16Wx developer in his words suggest the following in a thread at KVR i started about this issue.
I don't think that's the right thread link... ?

[edit] I found the thread. I'm not familiar with the plugin. Could you list the steps needed to reproduce the problem?

Last edited by schwa; 05-01-2020 at 06:26 AM.
Old 05-01-2020, 06:50 AM   #7
schwa
Administrator

OK, I think I have managed to reproduce the problem. It's unrelated to the topic of this thread, which was a technical issue relating to automation items.

In this case, it looks like TX16WX never calls IComponentHandler::endEdit to let the host know the user has let go of the control on the plugin UI. REAPER therefore does not send automation notifications, because as far as REAPER knows, the user is still modifying the control and doesn't want it grabbed away by the host.

From here if there is more communication needed with the developer, it's probably best if they can contact us directly by email at support at cockos.
Old 05-01-2020, 07:30 AM   #8
lalo

Thanks schwa. I'll wait for elcallio giving some reply at KVR and i'll report here unless he contacts you as i have suggested in that KVR thread.
best
lalo is offline   Reply With Quote