Old 08-05-2018, 04:13 PM   #1
sjs94704
Human being with feelings

Default Multiple Mixing Questions ...

Hi:

First, let me just say that I have been learning a lot from all of you through your advice along with all the YT videos I’ve been watching.

I realized that since my use of and intent with Reaper is probably different than most of you I will actually just need to approach my mixing workflow a whole different way.

I am an amateur singer. I buy my music pre-recorded. Each instrument is on its own track and is in WAV format. Since I am not making my own music and buying pre-recorded stuff, I was wondering if anyone can offer me some practical advice as to what a good strategy for a workflow should be and what stuff should I caution on spending too much time with?

As I have been messing around with my tracks a few questions have come up:

1. All my instrumental tracks are being sent to a music BUSS. What I have been doing is that right as I am supposed to start singing, I lower the volume of the music BUSS. Should I be doing this, or, should I simply be recording the vocal loud enough to sit on top of the music?

2. DRUMS – In my case, the drums come as what they call a ‘drum kit’. In other words, I don’t get the drums it its separate pieces, rather the drums are all together on one stereo track. So, the only control I have over the sound is through EQ. My biggest issue is the 'Boom, Boom, Boom' part of the drums typically causes the track to clip. What can I do about this?

3. For the volume envelope, is there a YT video that demonstrates when to use which kind of envelope. How do I determine which one I should use?

4. Should limiters be used on individual tracks or just on the MASTER track?

I am currently working on the song “Ride like the Wind” by Christopher Cross. In this song there are two Electric Guitars that at different times have not solos, but are highlighted while they play. So, once again, which envelope type should I use?

In my case, please confirm what the MAX meter volume should be for the individual tracks?