Old 10-03-2014, 07:44 AM   #121
Jorgen
Human being with feelings

Andy, cheers, here are my last contributions: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dsxtbpm6bz...cGits.zip?dl=0

Package includes backvocal2, acoustic1, acoustic2. Three mono files. Anything funny, let me know - maybe you want 24bit files? Just say the word.

Morgon, take the weekend (he said, gracefully)... or whatever you need. I've committed to my tracks, or else I never finish... this is as good as it gets. A quick demo with all my tracks: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rszpbs671l...g141003demo.mp 3?dl=0

This is the one to jam along with... BUT... if it somehow collides with what you got in mind, let me know, we work it out right away...
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:22 PM   #122
Jorgen

Hey Andy, I listened to the guitar tracks, there are a few issues... just get rid of it, or edit it, and keep what you like. Or leave it as it is. Sorry if that means more work for you, but I didn't do much editing, didn't exactly know what you expected... Only saying you are free to do what you like... like totally leave it alone, if you want. It's a kick with collabs, you don't have to make all the decisions.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:01 PM   #123
morgon

I will post what I've done, today, yes, for sure.

Last edited by morgon; 10-03-2014 at 03:07 PM.
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:58 PM   #124
morgon

Lots of commitments lately but I figured I should post something [construction render] that shows im still on it, for better or worse.

Please listen to the end where ive kicked off some more ideas after my blank 3/4 stage of the song. So if you think its ok, keeping in mind its just construction site, I will keep at it.

And yes theres even a half-baked cheesy synth solo at a break..

All subject to imprpovement, esp the last bit.

https://app.box.com/s/c1jbojnhyjhnvv8jwpy5

Last edited by morgon; 10-03-2014 at 11:04 PM.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:14 AM   #125
Jorgen

Cheers morgon, and thanks, I'm on it in a blink...

Listened. Yes and yes. Very cool idea at the beginning of the solo and how it leads over to the guitar. Please keep that. I wasn't too crazy about that particular plonky "toy" sound, but I get the idea, totally. Keep it, but maybe a bit sweeter? Or put some fx on it...?

Frankly, I want MORE electric! If only just "the presence" of the git from start to finish, something simple, like brake the chords on the one's and let it ring through the bar... with an accentuation or fill here and there, anywhere you feel it's appropriate... you're already on the right track.

No objections about the ending. Still trying to get your scales, but that's your sound, and it's your sound I want. I find it original, and that is a great thing... leave your mark on the thing.

But please, use the latest demo, there are some harmony there, backing vocals not least, I hope your stuff fits with those: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rszpbs671l...3demo.mp3?dl=0

Just more. Please. I love it.

Hi, Andy, you're around? Please feel free to comment. Anything you want, need?

edit - hehe, that middle eight/stick thing was six part when I counted last... along with your contributions, morgon, we may break some counterpoint record...

Last edited by Jorgen; 10-04-2014 at 06:10 AM.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:42 AM   #126
morgon

All good, I will fix things there ive done and fill out the rest of the song, I posted this version warts n all really just to prove im on it. Yes the synth part is entirely wrong sound, haven't auditioned sounds for that properly, I can leave it just as MIDI and you could use whatever synth sound you want there, I was looking for a spacey 'popcorn' sound ala Major Tom but couldn't find one in the 5 minutes I spent at it.

I will download your latest in the morning, I just fired off this version as is to show where im at with it, cheers.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:32 AM   #127
Jorgen

No, no midi please, add your thing, I love to hear it. I made some pads on my own, still got them, but I'm not sure if I want any pads at all now.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:11 PM   #128
morgon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgen View Post
No, no midi please, add your thing, I love to hear it. I made some pads on my own, still got them, but I'm not sure if I want any pads at all now.
Haha ok, I'll find something suitable for that synth part, a preset of course! -maybe I'll make a few versions of just that synth part and post as 1 file for comparisons.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:02 PM   #129
Andy Hamm

I'm gigging, I downloaded the files on the road and I'll have a listen when I get home.

Quote:
Cheers morgon, and thanks, I'm on it in a blink...

Listened. Yes and yes. Very cool idea at the beginning of the solo and how it leads over to the guitar. Please keep that. I wasn't too crazy about that particular plonky "toy" sound, but I get the idea, totally. Keep it, but maybe a bit sweeter? Or put some fx on it...?

Frankly, I want MORE electric! If only just "the presence" of the git from start to finish, something simple, like brake the chords on the one's and let it ring through the bar... with an accentuation or fill here and there, anywhere you feel it's appropriate... you're already on the right track.

No objections about the ending. Still trying to get your scales, but that's your sound, and it's your sound I want. I find it original, and that is a great thing... leave your mark on the thing.

But please, use the latest demo, there are some harmony there, backing vocals not least, I hope your stuff fits with those: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rszpbs671l...3demo.mp3?dl=0

Just more. Please. I love it.

Hi, Andy, you're around? Please feel free to comment. Anything you want, need?

edit - hehe, that middle eight/stick thing was six part when I counted last... along with your contributions, morgon, we may break some counterpoint record...
Andy Hamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:48 PM   #130
Jorgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Hamm View Post
I'm gigging, I downloaded the files on the road and I'll have a listen when I get home.
Hello Andy, all is cool, take your time.
Old 10-05-2014, 03:54 AM   #131
morgon

Done with the gtr tracking, need to fix a couple of things, haven't put the new version with it yet, def do that tmrw morning.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:21 AM   #132
Jorgen

morgon, cheers, I gave your track a few spins and I like everything whats there, really... fill in the blanks, I'd say... I'd love to have your guitar on its own track to play/jam with... an mp3 is fine, if that's okay with you? No need today, I'm off.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:20 PM   #133
morgon

Quote:
morgon, cheers, I gave your track a few spins and I like everything whats there, really... fill in the blanks, I'd say... I'd love to have your guitar on its own track to play/jam with... an mp3 is fine, if that's okay with you? No need today, I'm off.
No prob, will post it soon.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:49 PM   #134
morgon

This is still just the construction site atm, uing old [2nd] version, simply bc I hadn't yet got around to picking up the latest.

I had a bit of hassle getting the solo imported bc went from 62 to 120 to 66 bpm but SMM helped me out on the other thread, atm theres too much verb on it but I can fix that, I should've imported it dry and added fx after, instead. So Im at the stage now of fixing some things with it, about to put your latest version with, get some opinions etc

Edit] my gtrs all centre panned atm so the definition not very good, bc still was just tracking on 3 or 4 tracks where there was space etc so I kept them all just centre atm

https://app.box.com/s/6bdkpe72vcmbvhdvi0ax

Last edited by morgon; 10-06-2014 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:19 PM   #135
Jorgen

Thanks morgon. Great fun. Naturally, I've done a better git take by now, would like to change... yeah, I know... Andy? It's just tighter, same sound... sorry if that's messy for you... I will check it again later today... see if it holds up... no hurry, right?
Old 10-06-2014, 07:38 PM   #136
morgon

Im a fan of the 2nd version, the latest version is good in its own way.
The 2nd version I tuned into and I like everything about it, my opinion is your vox and gtr fine, if anything I would have brought some of those harmony tracks off the 1st version and put them on the 2nd in certain places at least. Definitely the 2nd version works better with my track.

Right now I gotta go deal with a partial power-out. Will check in later,cheers.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:09 AM   #137
Jorgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgon View Post
Im a fan of the 2nd version
You mean the version you play with, the one before my latest/final demo? Yes, the acoustics are better, they swing more, no doubt, have more definition... Andy, as for now, I have to dig up those git files, see if I can find them...

I'll track new harmony in a blink, if the project is still there.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:17 AM   #138
morgon

Yes i do mean the one i reposted in post 136. I got tunnel vision on that [the second version] so I kinda didnt stop to see what else is going on. Its [the second version] imo more organic, intimate sounding. Maybe a more can be added with [yes the harmonies] drum and bassparts and synth but I would be careful of crowding the lead vocal, all the words should stand out in front imo

Last edited by morgon; 10-07-2014 at 03:33 AM.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:48 AM   #139
Jorgen

I get it. Well, good thing then, I stick with that version, Andy, you and morgon was given a link to a zip named closing140929 or something like it, I think everything is there... except some new backing vocals I'm working on, should be ready tomorrow...
Old 10-09-2014, 07:06 AM   #140
Jorgen

Here's backing vocals, on top of morgon's mix...

4 waves included, backing vocals, tuned and not tuned... and an mp3 with morgons git and me... https://www.dropbox.com/s/5j8h5v7m27...voxes.zip?dl=0

That should be all files from me. Anything up, fellas?
Old 10-09-2014, 01:21 PM   #141
morgon

Im back to the project today, ima reimport the gtr solo dry then re-apply fx, fix a few oinks in the rest of my gtr track, maybe the synth bit of the other solo etc. So hopefully I'll finish my tracks today, cheers.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:08 AM   #142
morgon

Will post an update tmrw morning, quite a few fixes, sometime just retaking the part, did some vocal parts, harmonies, lower octave doubling, at least some of it sounds good Id say.
Can always subtractive edit anyways. I'll keep at it, cheers.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:11 AM   #143
Jorgen

Vocal parts sounds fab... love to hear them. You wrap it up in your own time... I owe you bigtime for this. We make a killing. Maybe this is the one...!

edit: hell, I'll make you co-producer, that'll show them good... yeah, rock a few boats...! imagine the big biz gasping...! Yep, the game has turned... the party's on THEM, hehehe... I can feel it, seriously...

Last edited by Jorgen; 10-10-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:57 AM   #144
morgon

Trying ideas out, the mix levels all over the place, everything centre-panned atm, construction site still. I said Id post something today so here it is, don't be alarmed by what doesn't work, its easy to delete stuff later.

https://app.box.com/s/rzu1jv25ulycvrv31piu
Old 10-11-2014, 04:01 AM   #145
morgon

Just updated above file [a bit]
Old 10-11-2014, 03:22 PM   #146
Jorgen

Oh, I like it...! So much fun with other voices... my own group will have at least three singers... like Jefferson Airplane... and Fleetwood Mac...
Old 10-11-2014, 07:36 PM   #147
morgon

This has got an improvement in the between gtr solo and synth solo and some level adjustments. Gtr solo I need to reimport dry and reapply fx [technicality]

The harmonies im trying ideas out, I know theres issues with the harmonies, im on it.

Wont be long before Ive finished my tracking [gtr,vox]

The gtrs are multi-tracked often on the same track thru fx atm, for expediency, the clarity will improve with track panning etc

https://app.box.com/s/bwnvpqqtb0wu8d4dw9xy
Old 10-11-2014, 07:57 PM   #148
morgon

Quote:
Oh, I like it...! So much fun with other voices... my own group will have at least three singers... like Jefferson Airplane... and Fleetwood Mac...
Entirely possible of course, your material is strong and so others want/will want to be part of it.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:40 AM   #149
Jorgen

Quote:
This has got an improvement in the between gtr solo and synth solo and some level adjustments. Gtr solo I need to reimport dry and reapply fx [technicality]

The harmonies im trying ideas out, I know theres issues with the harmonies, im on it.

Wont be long before Ive finished my tracking [gtr,vox]
[/url]
Yeah, getting better and better, I can hear it, see it, it's f'ing wild. It will kill my friends, I'll play it to death...

The harmonies, maybe 16ths is too much a hassle? When it's ah-ahs... I bet you could edit it that way... maybe Queen have done something similar... Kate Bush and Peter Gabriel were big on breath sounds... the Dreaming by Bush comes to mind.

I should redo the acoustic after your git's groove/arrangement, it would sit better...

Andy, any update from you? If you're busy with other stuff, no sweat... goes for all of us... I'm just curious where you're at.

Mixed bands, absolutely, at least one female singer/soloist/player... and different songwriters... I'd love to be a part of something like that.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:43 AM   #150
Jorgen

Morgon, I jammed up a moog solo, that works pretty well as a counter-melody to your solo parts. I tried it in two places, with a little variation. I like the swing of the lick, believe it's Jobim or something... what do you think? Don't want to take your space away, I just like the lick. https://www.dropbox.com/s/vmzqbeyer8...gsolo.mp3?dl=0

edit - love the choir on "let's save our last breath..." maybe that moog lick works better the second time... but the first time it rounds off very nicely with the electric git, just before the choir... which sounds fab à la Harrison... learned not long ago that Phil Spector had six different acoustic guitarists play on My Sweet Lord...

Last edited by Jorgen; 10-13-2014 at 07:07 AM.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:52 AM   #151
morgon

3rds then 6ths on "lets save etc" -the part after the second time around has a Maj 7th over the Ab [IV] and a sus 4 moving to 3rd over the Bb [V] [for any interested]

It occurred to me that a short snare roll going into the gtr solo would be appropriate as well, after the voc.

A bit of staccato in the "aah" [first] harmony seems a good idea, is that what you mean?

Last edited by morgon; 10-13-2014 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:17 AM   #152
morgon

Just had a listen to the gtr solo section, moogy sounds good, the concern is though [having just listened fresh] that I could hear insts playing but the gtr solo was nearly over before I realized thered been a gtr solo. Maybe put the moog part back in the mix a bit as it sounds a bit too good.

The gtr solo is too verby as well, I just haven't got around yet to reimporting it dry so to adjust.

Last edited by morgon; 10-13-2014 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:38 AM   #153
morgon

Anyone reading this thread like to offer an opinion on this and anything else? The opinion of someone who just walked in off the street is valuable, first impressions being important.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:45 AM   #154
Jorgen

A bit staccato, yes... for definition etc.

The moog thing, yeah, it's high in the mix just for show, that's all... I can use it in another version... truth be told, that phrase came along when I was fiddling with my swedish version, and I liked it and then tried it with your guitar, and it worked pretty good... I have no problems with scrapping it.

There should be an extended version where we rock out and jam for a minute or two... the song feels short, sometimes... but that could be a good thing.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:33 AM   #155
morgon

Quote:
A bit staccato, yes... for definition etc.

The moog thing, yeah, it's high in the mix just for show, that's all... I can use it in another version... truth be told, that phrase came along when I was fiddling with my swedish version, and I liked it and then tried it with your guitar, and it worked pretty good... I have no problems with scrapping it.

There should be an extended version where we rock out and jam for a minute or two... the song feels short, sometimes... but that could be a good thing.
I had the same thought. I am leaning toward the opinion that this version is nearly finished except for mixing etc Its at the stage where its not easy to add much w/o overdoing it a bit, regardless of good quality additions imo. Theres plenty of listening content there already and to me its as much about keeping whats already good there, in sharp focus.
As you say, its not a long song but that can mean good replay value.

A longer version would be good too, Im up for that later on but atm ima just try finalizing my tracks, send em over to you and work on some more songs, maybe we think about that Tull project? or maybe some other you got started on?

Haha I listened to this song a lot while figuring what I should do, its testament to how good a song it is that I still like it.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:14 PM   #156
Jorgen

I agree with not overdoing it now, there's plenty to make music with. I'm glad you still like to listen to it, I do too. The song just fell together, sort of, nice and easy... and it's nice and easy listening... soft and deep like velvet... for boys and girls and the flamboyant. To me, it's an aesthetic statement of value, nostalgic as it should be... a touch of the not so new magic from the space-age and all... and the rather Hermetic view on the universe and the world and everything in it... I'm proud I got that covered...

edit - and it's a love song, too.

I listened to the tull-tracks just the other day, went through some stuff you sent me... and the ones I did, almost forgotten them, actually I had... maybe we should start over, with a finished song, then dress it up to pomp-prog... with folksy breaks all of a sudden... christ, you just don't write words and music like that... you must be blessed. And have the urge to rock the world... sure, let's try it.

edit again - thinking about it, I read some of the lyrics I wrote for my tracks, I think they could be of use... or not. Should we try to work/sound like an ensemble, or are there no limits? Meaning we could use any sound, anything, anyhow... with all the daw-trickery you can come up with? And who'll program the drums?! A sampled flute would be ridiculous... or do you know how to play one?

Last edited by Jorgen; 10-13-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:40 PM   #157
morgon

Quote:
I had the same thought. I am leaning toward the opinion that this version is nearly finished except for...
maybe the drums n bass in places? -an early snare feel at times? What's Andy doing? Maybe a rock or church organ used sparingly amongst the gtrs would be good? Decisions ,decisions... life is a series of decisions.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:16 PM   #158
morgon

Quote:
I agree with not overdoing it now, there's plenty to make music with. I'm glad you still like to listen to it, I do too. The song just fell together, sort of, nice and easy... and it's nice and easy listening... soft and deep like velvet... for boys and girls and the flamboyant. To me, it's an aesthetic statement of value, nostalgic as it should be... a touch of the not so new magic from the space-age and all... and the rather Hermetic view on the universe and the world and everything in it... I'm proud I got that covered...

edit - and it's a love song, too.

I listened to the tull-tracks just the other day, went through some stuff you sent me... and the ones I did, almost forgotten them, actually I had... maybe we should star7t over, with a finished song, then dress it up to pomp-prog... with folksy breaks all of a sudden... christ, you just don't write words and music like that... you must be blessed. And have the urge to rock the world... sure, let's try it.

edit again - thinking about it, I read some of the lyrics I wrote for my tracks, I think they could be of use... or not. Should we try to work/sound like an ensemble, or are there no limits? Meaning we could use any sound, anything, anyhow... with all the daw-trickery you can come up with? And who'll program the drums?! A sampled flute would be ridiculous... or do you know how to play one?
Flute can be done audio to MIDI via gtr but idk how well that works for flute sounds. Drums I've got quite a bit of experience programming and I can play em about the same level I do gtr so that's not really an obstacle. You did post a tune some months back for collab, I didn't have time, it was after the Brell recording I think, what was that one? Did you finish it?
Old 10-13-2014, 05:02 PM   #159
Jorgen

Quote:
You did post a tune some months back for collab, I didn't have time, it was after the Brell recording I think, what was that one? Did you finish it?
Can't remember, must think... anyways, I've got loads of material, finished songs. Actually, I have this very delicate one... a and b-part only, simple song... lots of room for instrumentalists/soloists, improvisation... soft acoustic a-part with a really heavy b-part, full-on electric... very dynamic, lots of emotions... serious lyrics... a big feel bad-song, but the music is rather beautiful, imo.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:11 AM   #160
morgon

Prolly a couple of days break from Closing Time will make for a good session so I'll get back to it Thursday or Friday, cheers.