Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 08-21-2021, 06:10 AM   #1
randall7
Human being with feelings

Default HeLp! Cutting/Cropping a Timeline messed up.

EDIT: So I found a temporary workaround, but I still wish there was a way to solve this problem more elegantly. What I just tried, that worked, is that I MOVE the selected Region to the start of the timeline, then select and remove everything (all the other Regions) that follow.
-----------------------------------

I am having a really hard and time consuming time isolating timeline segments of a Reaper project so as to save them out as individual projects (I composed music for a short film all on one timeline, one project, but I want them saved out as individual "cues" now).

When I "Remove Contents of Selection (moving later items)" and the selection if everything AFTER what I want to isolate, there are no issues But when I select timeline content BEFORE what I am trying to isolate, all the midi notes for what I am trying to isolate shift on the timeline and get messed up, and I have to go in an edit (move) the midi notes for each instrument.

I have also tried selecting the timeline for what I am trying to isolate, then choosing to Crop the project to the selection, and that causes everything to go horribly wrong, as the notes are shifted and completely lost making cropping a selection useless.

Surely there should be a way to delete timeline material prior to the region of a timeline that I want to isolate, without the midi notes moving so that they lose their position in the timeline region I am trying to isolate? Or is this just a limitation of Reaper?

Last edited by randall7; 08-21-2021 at 06:32 AM. Reason: partial solution discovered
randall7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 02:59 AM   #2
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by randall7 View Post
When I "Remove Contents of Selection (moving later items)" and the selection if everything AFTER what I want to isolate, there are no issues But when I select timeline content BEFORE what I am trying to isolate, all the midi notes for what I am trying to isolate shift on the timeline and get messed up, and I have to go in an edit (move) the midi notes for each instrument.
Like the action name itself suggests, Time selection: Remove contents of time selection (moving later items) will do exactly what you describe being a problem for you. IOW, it's not the action you should use if you don't want later items to move.

If you want all the other items to keep their places and just remove the contents of time selection, you could try the action Edit: Cut items/tracks/envelope points (depending on focus) within time selection, if any (smart cut).
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 08:14 AM   #3
randall7

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
Like the action name itself suggests, Time selection: Remove contents of time selection (moving later items) will do exactly what you describe being a problem for you. IOW, it's not the action you should use if you don't want later items to move.

If you want all the other items to keep their places and just remove the contents of time selection, you could try the action Edit: Cut items/tracks/envelope points (depending on focus) within time selection, if any (smart cut).

I will look into what you said, but here is the thing-- having later items moved is not a problem for me, but it is because deleted and moving later items ends up mucking up items earlier on the timeline. Let's say I have regions A,B,C,D,E on the timeline, and I select regions D and E and then choose "Remove contents of time selection moving later items"... There are no later items that I care about, there is no region F,G,etc, all I want is to remove regions D and E; but when I do that, regions A,B,C are all messed up. Why would removing regions D and E mess up earlier regions on the timeline (messing up midi notes, shift them all over the place). "Remove contents of time selection moving later items" seems like a logical choice to make in such a situation but apparently that is not a good choice to make at all. I will try out the "Edit: Cut items/tracks/envelope points (depending on focus) within time selection, if any (smart cut)" alternative as you suggest and see what happens and report back.

Thank you again for providing an alternate method, that hopefully will do what I intended.
Old 08-22-2021, 01:20 PM   #4
randall7

Quote:
...If you want all the other items to keep their places and just remove the contents of time selection, you could try the action Edit: Cut items/tracks/envelope points (depending on focus) within time selection, if any (smart cut).
Hmm, I tried that it does not seem to cause anything to happen, nothing is cut.
Old 08-22-2021, 08:42 PM   #5
xpander

You'll have to select all the items inside the time selection. That action works based on focus.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 08:58 PM   #6
bigtop

Is this because Ripple Editing is active? You can turn this off in project settings.

Good luck
Old 08-23-2021, 06:33 AM   #7
randall7

Quote:
You'll have to select all the items inside the time selection. That action works based on focus.
Okay. I guess I did not know what was meant by "on focus". Hmm, will try it.
Old 08-23-2021, 06:36 AM   #8
randall7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtop View Post
Is this because Ripple Editing is active? You can turn this off in project settings.

Good luck
Great point. Will check this now... (checking)... so in the Options menu there are two possible Ripple edit choices but neither is toggled on.