CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-04-2005, 12:12 AM   #1
meatbits
Human being with feelings

Default chordshout

someone mentioned using a whiteboard, which got me thinking about communications during a jam, and about jams in ninjam.

ninjam seems to favor the "two-chord plod-along" family of jam, and i think that's because this result is kind of encouraged by the bar-latency feature. people will "lock on" to those chords in a few bars.

it's no criticism, just an observation: this propogates a samey-ness to the cord structures of many jams. this could be addressed:

i suggest something to emulate that feature of the real-time location-coherent jam: the time-honored tradition of shouting out an upcoming chord change.

this might be implemented as an admin feature. a segmented box appears above the clock progress bar in all running clients. the segments inside that box would correspond to / represent future bars coming up. these box segments would contain labels displaying chord notations and the segments should be colored to indicate their status: (green)playing now, (yellow)starting in 1 bar, (pink) starting in 4 bars.

so as not to have the admin unduly clicking, the chordshout input should be one-handed by implementing a right-click leading to a popup of chord choices. this way, the admin could quickly load up instructions to the "band" for future bars. as little as "shouting out" one or two new chords or dictating lots of the future by spelling out several changes.

it would also be important to be able to store and recall groupings of bars. it would be mind-blowing to lead various combinations of musicians through arrangements.

better still if this "shouter" role were hand-offable.

i'll shut up now

m
meatbits is offline   Reply With Quote