Old 06-04-2006, 04:06 AM   #1
Art Evans
Mortal

Default A n item naming suggestion

At present, each track has its own sequence of item name serial numbers.

If I record a concert starting with an overture and use only the track named "stereo pair" the item will be automatically called "stereo pair 01".

Then say the next item is a concerto with a soloist. I now additionally record the solo spot mike on track two together with more on the "stereo pair" track. So the items are called "stereo pair 02" and "spot mic 01".

I suggest that it would be more useful if each recording had a separate serial number, so that in the example above the items would have been called "stereo pair 02" and "spot mic 02", showing that they were synchronously recorded and "belong together". The present numbering system conveys no such information.

The downside is that there would be no "spot mic 01" item, as that track was not used for recording (or take) 01, but if the numbering system were understood (not hard) users would not wonder what happened to that item.

I realise that others with different workflows or whatever might not agree with this - but what think you good people?

(As always of course Justin may disagree with whatever I/we think anyway!)

Last edited by Art Evans; 06-04-2006 at 04:47 AM.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote