COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 09-09-2006, 01:50 AM   #1
highwaykind
Human being with feelings

Default Record from both line in and mic in ??

Current setup - piano straight in line in and mic/headphone headset through mic in ( and main out ).

Recoding source set to line in for piano, but if I ever have enough guts to try some vocals.. how could I record from both Line in and Mic in ?
If I hit Wave through it only produces this very loud feeback drone.

Windows XP, sound on board .

Corien.
highwaykind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 10:05 AM   #2
neonskimmer

Well the easiest way would be to get yourself a small external mixer.. It'll be handy for many other things anyways and give you much more hands on control on your signals.
neonskimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 10:18 AM   #3
highwaykind

Thanks !
Any brand suggestions ( I will google this to get some more info, but it's good to have a starting point ).
Old 09-10-2006, 03:03 AM   #4
Zuofu

Yeah, most sound cards (non pro ones) only have 1 pair of ADCs for recording, so actually both line in and mic cannot be used separately (usually mic has a gain boost). For mixers I'd recommend the Yamaha MG10/2, which is pretty standard for a small mixer. There's also the Behringer stuff if youre looking to go cheaper - but they're generally not very highly regarded.
Zuofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 03:05 AM   #5
highwaykind

Thank you !!
I'm off to google, then Ebay ( or thomann.de , whichever has the cheapest)
Does the thing have a USB port or something to connect it to the computer ??

Last edited by highwaykind; 09-10-2006 at 03:08 AM.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:49 AM   #6
Zuofu

On a typical setup, if you have like a decent music grade sound card, the main outs of the mixer go to your sound card input, while the monitor out on the mixer will go to your speakers. The output of your sound card can then be used as one stereo channel for your mixer (your mic/guitar/synths would go into the other channels), that way you can record from your external devices as well as your computer. Ninjam has this somewhat annoying tendency to monitor what you are recording, which might cause a feedback if you are not careful (so I have to mute my computer from my mixer).

But to answer your question, if you have a decent sound card - just buy a regular mixer. Otherwise Alesis and Behringer both make mixers with a USB port for connecting to your computer (and bypassing your sound card).

Zuofu
Zuofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 06:38 AM   #7
malcolmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuofu
But to answer your question, if you have a decent sound card - just buy a regular mixer. Otherwise Alesis and Behringer both make mixers with a USB port for connecting to your computer (and bypassing your sound card).
Don't forget that if you have an audio device that supports multiple inputs you can user REAPER as a live mixer for NINJAM. Tonight I had my Rhodes, Stylus RMX (drum machine) and two synths working simultaneously via REAPER. Worked really well and let me balance the levels prior to sending them to the NINJAM client.

Cheers,

Malcolm.
malcolmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 11:58 PM   #8
cryptomail

Default Right ON REAROUTE!!!

Yes...I use REAPER now as my main app BEFORE even going into NINJAM.
This all works with REAROUTE!
Basically:
1) Open up reaper and create N tracks, one for each of your inputs, so if you have two channels, then create two tracks.
2) Assign ASIO routes to the track via the IO button under "Audio ReaRoute Outputs"
3) Create a final track called "NINJAM in" or whatever, which takes ASIO input from REAROUTE.
4) In NINJAM's audio preferences, ensure that you have the input ranges for ASIO set up properly.

REAROUTE is a devilsend because you can now play your SW synth and do all kinds of beep beep MIDI boops and route it to NINJAM!

FYEAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmj
Don't forget that if you have an audio device that supports multiple inputs you can user REAPER as a live mixer for NINJAM. Tonight I had my Rhodes, Stylus RMX (drum machine) and two synths working simultaneously via REAPER. Worked really well and let me balance the levels prior to sending them to the NINJAM client.

Cheers,

Malcolm.
cryptomail is offline   Reply With Quote