https://stash.reaper.fm/v/28648/LBX%2...0by%20hopi.zip
Nice - thanks. These look great!
lb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:56 AM   #163
hopi
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb0 View Post
Well there is the whole graphics edit section - which allows you to load images and place them behind the controls - these can be any size. So if you were dedicated enough - you could recreate your favourite hardware look etc. This would also cope with lines/boxes etc.

Perhaps I just need to make the graphics scalable - then you can make divider lines pngs and just shorten and adjust them to suit.

If I need to add draggable boxes etc - then maybe - but that's a whole extra level of drawing to use up CPU (not a lot - but I'm trying to keep this as efficient as possible - as it's Lua and won't be as efficient as say JS or even EEL). I sometimes max my CPU out in my projects - so I don't want Stripper using up too much.

Also - I hate the rounded rectangle in Lua - it's truly awful - and depending on the size of the rectangle - the bottom of the arc doesn't always line up with the bottom line. I'm sure I can work out what sizes work - but it looks crap if you get it wrong (you'll notice it when you select controls in edit mode). Will have a think what I can do...

OK... maybe I don't have the latest script version... and I of course understand this is a work in progress...

I don't really grasp the 'graphics' section but I hope you will explain that for us in detail when the time is right. It sure is not a deal breaker but eventually it might be some icing on the cake. %^)
Old 10-19-2016, 10:05 AM   #164
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
OK... maybe I don't have the latest script version... and I of course understand this is a work in progress...

I don't really grasp the 'graphics' section but I hope you will explain that for us in detail when the time is right. It sure is not a deal breaker but eventually it might be some icing on the cake. %^)
Ok - basically place any graphics bitmaps/jpgs/png in the graphics folder - and you can drag these onto the control surface - so they are displayed behind the controls. This way - if you want to recreate your favourite hardware look or whatever - you can place the graphic image of the hardware on the background. Then place the knobs on top in the right positions.

Alternatively you can just use pretty backgrounds as a backdrop (like in the first video).

Graphics could be anything though - straightlines - boxes etc. so could be used as dividers.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:45 AM   #165
lb0

Quote:

Oh - the graphics bit has been in there since the beginning.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:28 PM   #166
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veto View Post
BTW I noticed this:

I'm sure you know these kind of workarounds already but there's this little hack to which I was made aware by a forum member I don't remember right now:
1. Make the script place a Dummy-JSFX with some sliders somewhere in your project
2. Assign your MIDI controller to it
3. Find that JSFX by name (or something else)
4. Read out the values by the script
Maybe that's an option for you
That exact method actually came to me during a 'thinking' session the other day. Glad to know it's a viable option

You can probably place the JSFX on a hidden track so it isn't noticeable to the user.

Will suss out how to implement in JSFX over the coming weeks. Plan to first get everything so far neat and stable.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:36 PM   #167
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veto View Post
Wow, that was quick. Thank you!
It's definitely better, the CTL options glitch seems to be gone now. But in y-locked strip-edit mode (*phew*), when dragging a control to the trash, it is now drawn below the bottom region (the black area below the grid). Also notice that small yellow line of pixels which still is not getting refreshed. I tried to look at the code to add + 1 somewhere, but with over 6k lines of code, no chance Impressive.
Will fix this soon. Thanks for spotting - I don't have this on windows - although having the bin outside the visible area is possibly undesirable as dragging doesn't display the control - so you're kinda dragging nothing to the bin once you go outside the boundary. Will def. try to make this neater in an update. Also - dragging into the boundary and dropping there (not on bin) means it just gets dropped out of bounds - so if you were to enlarge the area again - it would reappear - I can see suddenly loads of hidden controls being stashed there all wasting resources...
Old 10-19-2016, 12:39 PM   #168
BenK-msx

I use action: adjust last touched parameter (midi)
alot and click adjusting knobs in stripper worked fine ,tho it's easier for me to mouse wheel a parameter + then - so it stays same value and then control it via midi controller.

So not sure u need to go to such lengths unless there are advantages I've not considered.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:59 PM   #169
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
alot and click adjusting knobs in stripper worked fine ,tho it's easier for me to mouse wheel a parameter + then - so it stays same value and then control it via midi controller.

So not sure u need to go to such lengths unless there are advantages I've not considered.
I was thinking more along the lines for controlling macro controls - which wn't be tied to a plugin parameter. These will allow for controlling of multiple plugin parameters at once across all tracks possibly. So you could get one to raise the volume of a plugin on track 1, whilst simultaneously lowering that of another plugin on track2. Then I would need JSFX sliders to be able to midi control the macro knobs.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:02 PM   #170
lb0

Quick new demo - showing background graphics stretching in operation. This should allow you to easily separate different fx plugin controls on the control surface. Of course these can be saved as part of a strip if you want.

https://youtu.be/6eT4x9wKexs

At the moment - the meters are faked using an lfo on random setting. But I've done this to show the author of dpMeter2 what it would be like if he could output extra meter values from his plugin

How about it?
Old 10-19-2016, 02:04 PM   #171
lb0

Quote:

Does the MIDI Learn (right click control in LIVE mode) - work for you? Doesn't for me - does everything - opens learn window etc. - just won't learn from any of my controllers Opening the same screen from the Param button on a plugin works fine though :/
Old 10-19-2016, 02:12 PM   #172
hopi

Default ummm more knobs ---maybe

https://stash.reaper.fm/28650/LBX%20knobs.zip

sharing but they may not be to one's liking...

I am noticing a problem when trying to select a knob to use... it goes like so:

many of these don't show much, if anything, at the lowest value, so when I cycle through them I can't really tell which of various colored knobs I'm seeing....

could be cuz the whole background is black of course...

maybe its not a great idea to use a bunch of diff complex knobs... hmmmm

or maybe there is another solution?
I sort of wish I could pick the knob by name rather than just image because some of my colored variations all look the same at the zero value...
Old 10-19-2016, 02:14 PM   #173
BenK-msx

Yes I see your point re macro control, I didn't try r click learn sorry as i have a big rotary control assigned to last touched which I use all the time, and tht worked ok but as mentioned it little bit easier to mouse wheel a param to set the last touched.

Have to try latest version, thanks for great job.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:18 PM   #174
lb0

Quote:

many of these don't show much, if anything, at the lowest value, so when I cycle through them I can't really tell which of various colored knobs I'm seeing....

I sort of wish I could pick the knob by name rather than just image because some of my colored variations all look the same at the zero value...
I can display the filename in the box - been thinking about that myself... also - could maybe show mid value in knob select box...
Old 10-19-2016, 02:46 PM   #175
hopi

great ideas! I bet that would go a long way for this particular problem
Old 10-19-2016, 02:48 PM   #176
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Quick new demo - showing background graphics stretching in operation. This should allow you to easily separate different fx plugin controls on the control surface. Of course these can be saved as part of a strip if you want.

https://youtu.be/6eT4x9wKexs

At the moment - the meters are faked using an lfo on random setting. But I've done this to show the author of dpMeter2 what it would be like if he could output extra meter values from his plugin

How about it?
Awesome again!

Which theme is that too? It's probably just what I'm looking for!

Old 10-19-2016, 03:08 PM   #177
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Awesome again!

Which theme is that too? It's probably just what I'm looking for!

Theme is Janne_Universe2014_v114.

New features in latest upload:
Setting to enable mousewheel to change knob value instead of scrolling surface.
Can stretch background graphics (x,y independently)
Added filename to knob selector, and changed default frame to 0.75 through.

Possible other tweaks and fixes - but still to fix Linux stuff.

I won't guarantee compatibility between this and previous version - but I've tried to maintain it...
Old 10-19-2016, 03:22 PM   #178
BenK-msx

cool mousewheel working sweet here
Old 10-19-2016, 03:22 PM   #179
lb0

Quote:

Thanks for the knobs by the way They will be useful and have got me thinking about stuff
Old 10-19-2016, 03:23 PM   #180
lb0

Quote:
cool mousewheel working sweet here
Old 10-19-2016, 05:55 PM   #181
hopi

OK mousewheel working OK here also

got a handle on the use of graphics... about to try something by making a few that might be better...

On the knobs in EDIT mode... yes it greatly helps to have them set to half way... can see them much better now...

also I did not see the file name for knob at first... now I do.. NICE had to close and re-run the script ...Kewl.. VERY helpful

I thank you greatly

Last edited by hopi; 10-19-2016 at 06:07 PM.
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:45 PM   #182
hopi

OK next... I must be not understanding something or not finding the control for it...

simple version is, I put a few controls on the GUI in edit mode, get them as desired... then go to live mode...
OK so if mouse is directly over a control knob it moves as expected both with mouse or mouse wheel...

but if I clk the mouse on some empty space and drag it around the entire set of all the knobs moves.... ummm I'd expect in live mode to not have this happen... it is very disconcerting as you can imagine...

what am I missing please?

EDIT: oic... lock the control window sizes x and y... hummm but max for each is 992?

I guess I'd rather just see something like lock or prevent that unwanted moving of everything but leaving the size free???
then again, being a complete lua dunce perhaps it can't be that way?

Last edited by hopi; 10-19-2016 at 09:52 PM.
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:16 PM   #183
lb0

Quote:
OK next... I must be not understanding something or not finding the control for it...

simple version is, I put a few controls on the GUI in edit mode, get them as desired... then go to live mode...
OK so if mouse is directly over a control knob it moves as expected both with mouse or mouse wheel...

but if I clk the mouse on some empty space and drag it around the entire set of all the knobs moves.... ummm I'd expect in live mode to not have this happen... it is very disconcerting as you can imagine...

what am I missing please?

EDIT: oic... lock the control window sizes x and y... hummm but max for each is 992?

I guess I'd rather just see something like lock or prevent that unwanted moving of everything but leaving the size free???
then again, being a complete lua dunce perhaps it can't be that way?
Yes - I can do this - the reason the surface moves is if you want more controls in a small space - just drag the surface around (originally it was going to be endless - before performance issues suggested this wasn't the best idea). The lock XY is mainly for when it is docked - but I can make the sizes bigger - or just have a separate lock surface setting.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:36 PM   #184
hopi

ah again you are so good!

well then, I for one would vote for a simple surface lock so that once things are set up as desired, I could just lock it as it exists.

btw, I am doing pretty nicely with some dividing line[s] graphics... various colors, etc. and I'll send them up to the stash soon. They might be handy for some people.

Also... ws playing around with one of the fab filter compressors, that has a toggle for 'expert' mode... so thought to use the simple button... hmmmm had to do a quick remake of it... its on off condition was the reverse of what the vst does [ black was on and orange was off...reversed, see?] and also in the black part one can't see the button... so made one that works 'ok' and will send it up soon also.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:55 AM   #185
RJHollins

Mouse Wheel working here nice

Did a re-size of a background graphic too.

side note: An earlier layout did break with this latest version ... its a small price for the new features.

idea: since a layout design may require several editings ... when we SAVE a change of an existing design, can the NAME box have the current name in there ... so just hit save ? [i keep forgetting the way I've named the current design :|

Hopi Graphics .... most welcomed
RJHollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 01:41 AM   #186
lb0

Quote:
ah again you are so good!

well then, I for one would vote for a simple surface lock so that once things are set up as desired, I could just lock it as it exists.

btw, I am doing pretty nicely with some dividing line[s] graphics... various colors, etc. and I'll send them up to the stash soon. They might be handy for some people.

Also... ws playing around with one of the fab filter compressors, that has a toggle for 'expert' mode... so thought to use the simple button... hmmmm had to do a quick remake of it... its on off condition was the reverse of what the vst does [ black was on and orange was off...reversed, see?] and also in the black part one can't see the button... so made one that works 'ok' and will send it up soon also.
That's what Button Inv setting (After Button setting) is for No need to reverse the graphic
Old 10-20-2016, 01:43 AM   #187
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
Mouse Wheel working here nice

Did a re-size of a background graphic too.

side note: An earlier layout did break with this latest version ... its a small price for the new features.

idea: since a layout design may require several editings ... when we SAVE a change of an existing design, can the NAME box have the current name in there ... so just hit save ? [i keep forgetting the way I've named the current design :|

Hopi Graphics .... most welcomed
Yep will do - thought about this also myself. Won't be able to make any changes until this evening (in uk) as busy today.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:20 AM   #188
Vincent Sermonne
Petit manitou

It would be nice if there was an option to set the background in a fixed position.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:37 AM   #189
NextLevel

lb0,

I just thought of something I could really use and I think would make a nice addition to the Stripper if possible and you're willing?

So here is the concept:
It would be a special "toggle botton" and in edit mode there would be options for setting the value to be sent given each toggle state.
Example: Toggle on = 1.0 & Toggle off = 0.5

Perhaps in edit mode there could be a learn function that would detect the parameter's current value and assign it to whichever toggle state you wanted that value to be assigned to.

Now, the cool part would be being able to have multiple toggle buttons that could each have different toggle values but still be assigned to the same parameter.
Example: TB_1 = 0.0-0.25 | TB_2 = 0.5-1.0 Both of these control vstPram_1

Hope this makes sense.
NextLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:01 AM   #190
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Sermonne View Post
It would be nice if there was an option to set the background in a fixed position.
Yep - already requested (by Hopi I think) and will later today.
Old 10-20-2016, 03:01 AM   #191
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextLevel View Post
lb0,

I just thought of something I could really use and I think would make a nice addition to the Stripper if possible and you're willing?

So here is the concept:
It would be a special "toggle botton" and in edit mode there would be options for setting the value to be sent given each toggle state.
Example: Toggle on = 1.0 & Toggle off = 0.5

Perhaps in edit mode there could be a learn function that would detect the parameter's current value and assign it to whichever toggle state you wanted that value to be assigned to.

Now, the cool part would be being able to have multiple toggle buttons that could each have different toggle values but still be assigned to the same parameter.
Example: TB_1 = 0.0-0.25 | TB_2 = 0.5-1.0 Both of these control vstPram_1

Hope this makes sense.
Yep - I'm sure I can sort this out . Possibly even a multiple value cycle button too... Need to work out best way to do this.
Old 10-20-2016, 03:08 AM   #192
NextLevel

Quote:
Yep - I'm sure I can sort this out . Possibly even a multiple value cycle button too... Need to work out best way to do this.
Awesome! This will be so much fun.., Thank you!
NextLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:58 AM   #193
swiiscompos

Quote:
I have made a few tweaks to the font drawing code over the last day - would be good to know if the latest version still suffers from the top half value update issue for you. Would still be useful to see a screenshot - and would like to know if anyone else suffers this same issue on a Mac.

If the problem is still there - I wonder if changing the font (gui.fontname = 'Calibri' in GetGUI_vars() function makes any difference?)
Sorry for the delay, it works well so far on my laptop.
For docking on Mac I need to right click the window and choose "dock in docker" or something like that. I can drag the window only when it is in dock mode.
swiiscompos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:07 AM   #194
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiiscompos View Post
Sorry for the delay, it works well so far on my laptop.
For docking on Mac I need to right click the window and choose "dock in docker" or something like that. I can drag the window only when it is in dock mode.
No worries, Ok - are you saying the fonts are updating ok now?

Also - are you still unable to dock? If so - I will add an option somewhere to set the dock parameters. You may need to help me out with the dock locations - it's easy to dock it - but can you then move it around in the dock. Will let you know once I have created the option to dock it. But would be good to have confirmation that you are still unable to dock it. (sorry - just not fully understanding what you mean by dragging the window when in dock mode).
Old 10-20-2016, 09:42 AM   #195
RJHollins

Quote:
If this request is what I think it could be ...

Might we then have a way of tagging, say, a GAIN knob of an EQ, and then be able to have a button that could temp set GAIN to ZERO [null] ... and then toggle the button to return GAIN to user set level ??

We are talking a quick A/B toggle button [affecting only GAIN]. If so, this would be fantastic, to compare IN/OUT changes.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:49 AM   #196
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
If this request is what I think it could be ...

Might we then have a way of tagging, say, a GAIN knob of an EQ, and then be able to have a button that could temp set GAIN to ZERO [null] ... and then toggle the button to return GAIN to user set level ??

We are talking a quick A/B toggle button [affecting only GAIN]. If so, this would be fantastic, to compare IN/OUT changes.
Not exactly if my understanding is correct - but your request is also possible.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:04 AM   #197
hopi

ahha duh Button Inv = Inverted! I though it meant Invisible..

that is a brilliant option so it lets us use the buttons in any situation... super smart.

So currently I run into this question with Knob png file choice...

Clearly it is a problem of my own making:

When there were on a few knobs [like your set] it was no too bad to clk through to pick one... but then hopi comes along and tosses into the folder many more, right? Ok and lbo made a great help to see the file name and see the knob graphic better... but still to pick the desired png from a folder of 45 [and counting!] becomes really tedious... especially considering we can only cycle through them forward so that if we pass the 'one' we want, we have to cycle through from the beginning all over again. hahaha

Soooo... I'm wondering if there might be any other way to select them?
The most ideal would be a simple drag and drop from a normal windows [or mac] folder window... but I suspect that is not possible...

Next might be drop down list??? I really don't know what IS possible.

??? A panel that shows all the graphics where you just clk the desired one???

Sorry to even ask but I think you can see why if you have a lot of knobs in that contrils folder...

PS: Thanks for kind words RJ... I'll keep playing with some and hope I can live up to your compliment.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:43 AM   #198
RJHollins

I think 'cycling' can go forward and backward. Left/Right Mouse CLK.

lb0 ... if a GAIN A/B switch can be link to a user knob ... that would be fantastic. As a Mastering Engineer, we are constantly A/B'ing changes. I use a lot of NEBULA's in my work. BYPassing the plugin is a serious problem due to latency compensation switching, so A/B is interrupted [can't use].

In my NVC MIDI software controller [vst], I have this exact Gain 'bypass' implemented. Granted, it is NOT 'Gain Compensated', nonetheless, it is extremely useful.

With it, I can make GAIN changes with a knob WHILE it is in knob 'bypass' mode and can quickly A/B the change. Powerful decision feature.

thank-you
Old 10-20-2016, 11:04 AM   #199
hopi

Default graphics?

OK... soory to be a PITA but I was just born that way... %^)

so on using graphics... I am working on some colors of vertical and horizontal lines... and some simple colored panels

when testing them I find that if I put in a line and then a panel [say a red horizontal line and a white panel, that the panel covers the line... unless I remove the line and then put it in after the panel.
So it seems that whatever goes in first is set to back and the next graphic goes on top of it and the next on top of that... ummmmmm

So normally in situations like this there is something like a rt clk on the graphic that lets you move it forward or back in the stack...right?

is that a possible function for the GUI?
Old 10-20-2016, 11:07 AM   #200
lb0

Quote:
ahha duh Button Inv = Inverted! I though it meant Invisible..

that is a brilliant option so it lets us use the buttons in any situation... super smart.

So currently I run into this question with Knob png file choice...

Clearly it is a problem of my own making:

When there were on a few knobs [like your set] it was no too bad to clk through to pick one... but then hopi comes along and tosses into the folder many more, right? Ok and lbo made a great help to see the file name and see the knob graphic better... but still to pick the desired png from a folder of 45 [and counting!] becomes really tedious... especially considering we can only cycle through them forward so that if we pass the 'one' we want, we have to cycle through from the beginning all over again. hahaha

Soooo... I'm wondering if there might be any other way to select them?
The most ideal would be a simple drag and drop from a normal windows [or mac] folder window... but I suspect that is not possible...

Next might be drop down list??? I really don't know what IS possible.

??? A panel that shows all the graphics where you just clk the desired one???

Sorry to even ask but I think you can see why if you have a lot of knobs in that contrils folder...

PS: Thanks for kind words RJ... I'll keep playing with some and hope I can live up to your compliment.
RJ's right - you should be able to cycle both ways through the knobs - as well as use the mousewheel. But - I do see your point and have noticed it myself. It's not a top priority at the moment but i will have a think of a suitable solution. It's kind of annoying also that the types of control are all mixed up too.

Dragging and dropping from windows would require access to windows API functions (or at least built in functions for exactly this in the reaper api) - which I've not seen in any of my investigations so far. Also then you've got to deal with different OS's and platforms so becomes a bit of a chore to organise - especially as I only have windows myself.

But I'm pretty sure some sort of expanded list would be possible.